Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!

+3
Dean Murdoch
dholcombe
PilotNut
7 posters

Go down

Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!  Empty Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:29 am

For those who cannot make today's noon press conference in person, the U has posted a link to a live stream of the event!   Basketball  Basketball  Basketball

If you connect to the article announcing the press conference here: LINK

There is a "Watch Live" link at the top of the article to the stream from the WCC site, or you can click here: LINK

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!  Empty Re: Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!

Post by dholcombe Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Too many C's

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!  Empty Re: Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Highlights from today's presser? Wasn't able to tune in.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Missed the conference. But just heard Terry on Canzano's radio show. Yeah, he said WCCC two or three times. Had to correct from WAC once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Highlights from today's presser? Wasn't able to tune in.

I'm sure they'll be posting plenty of videos soon, but in the meantime...

Good crowd. A few hundred easily. Saw lots of alumni and season ticket holder folks, as well as plenty of university faculty/staff and even a decent amount of students.

Lots of media. I think every major TV station was there, and radio stations, The Oregonian, Dwight Jaynes, etc.

Got a very genuine feel from Coach Porter - he seems excited about the opportunity, and it really does seem like a right time, right place kind of thing. He said he had enjoyed the last few years of spending more time with his sons, but with his youngest about to graduate HS, he felt like it was the right time to get back into coaching.

He said he wants to play up-tempo, and I believe he said something along the lines of giving the players the freedom to run and follow their basketball instincts out on the court. This may end up being a big difference from Reveno's era, as he typically used a more tightly-controlled system.

Mike Burns confirmed as an assistant.

He said he wants to "own" the Portland area and the Northwest in terms of recruiting. I also heard him say, in the media scrum afterward, that he really wants local players to know that UP is here and that we want them. But he also said he will use his extensive network to recruit players from all over the country when those opportunities arise.

He said he's planning on reaching out to a lot of alumni as well as former players - he said he was meeting with Pooh Jeter on Thursday.

Fans had a chance to do a meet-and-greet in the HOF Room after the media scrum.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Yup, like Stoney said.....

My only addition is TP is not looking at the UP position as a job, but as a vocation and a chance to give back to the community he loves by influencing and developing young people into solid citizens.  He put quite an emphasis on being a student first....

I think what impresses me most is he really wants to be a part of the UP community, and he already has a deep affinity for the place and its people.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:47 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

My only addition is TP is not looking at the UP position as a job, but as a vocation and a chance to give back to the community he loves by influencing and developing young people into solid citizens.  He put quite an emphasis on being a student first....
That's awesome. Gotta figure a guy like that is set financially and hopefully has pretty pure motives as a coach.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:40 pm

pilotram wrote:That's awesome. Gotta figure a guy like that is set financially and hopefully has pretty pure motives as a coach.
Haha, yeah when I mentioned to both TP and Susie that both their sons could come to UP and not count against the 13 scholarships if they paid for their sons' education, they each gave me a quizzical look like, "what?"

Something that TP said today about the student-athletes that will be playing for him really hit home with many of us who are so proud of UP: “before they leave The Bluff, they will take with them a degree, great integrity and the ability to lead.”

Interesting, that is the exactly what the Army and Air Force ROTC leaders at UP expect from their student-cadets!

Live stream of the Coach Terry Porter Press Conference!  00003510

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan4life Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Here is the video. http://livestream.com/Portland/events/5084037
pilotfan4life
pilotfan4life
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Back to top Go down