Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00)

4 posters

Go down

Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00) Empty Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00)

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:50 pm

I'll ask the question that I know everyone's thinking.

How are the Pilots going to slow down Joel Yellow Owl?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00) Empty Re: Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00)

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:29 pm

As most probably know, Coach Reveno and/or Scott Leykam scheduled this game to honor Head Coach Danny Miles who will retire after 45 years and over 1,000 wins at Oregon Institute of Technology.

Not only does he have longevity, he has national titles.....three of them! The Hustlin' Owls won NAIA National Champions in 2004, 2008, and 2012.

No matter how you examine Coach Miles' record, it's stellar by any gauge: 1,017 wins, 14 conference championships, 17 national tournament appearances, 5 Final Four appearances, 4 National Finals, and 3 National Championships.

Oh, and during his tenure at Tech the versatile Miles has also been assistant coach in the Tech football program and the head coach of the baseball and softball teams. On four occasions, his baseball teams finished in the top three in District II. In ten years with the Oregon Tech softball program Tech won six conference championships including one trip to the NAIA Softball World Series. Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00) Empty Re: Oregon Tech @ Portland (Friday, Nov 13 @ 7:00)

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:02 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:I'll ask the question that I know everyone's thinking.

How are the Pilots going to slow down Joel Yellow Owl?
Haha, I'm not too sure about Yellow Owl, but he averaged nearly 19 points per game at Yakima Valley Community College last year.....

The guy I've been told to watch is #21, senior Lavar Moore from Waterbury, Connecticut, who led the Owls in scoring and ranked second in the conference at 22 points per game last year, his first at OIT after two years at College of the Sequoias.  He connected on a conference-best 97 three-point field goals and ranked second in free throw percentage at .825 on 118-of-143.

Of course I think UP will win, but this could be a fun game to watch with lots of racing up and down the court.  I was surprised the game against C-I wasn't a higher scoring affair....maybe this one will be.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Well if Lavar Moore is half as good as the last guard from Waterbury, CT to play in the Chiles, the Pilots will have their hands full with him.

(Anthony Ireland)
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:51 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:Well if Lavar Moore is half as good as the last guard from Waterbury, CT to play in the Chiles, the Pilots will have their hands full with him.
Not only is Anthony Ireland a great baller, he is a wonderful guy who is much admired in the basketball community.

Last year Ireland was playing France, but the last I heard he's now playing in Greece.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 am

Always on the lookout for information about UP's opponents, I came up with this bit of info/trivia.

OIT's #25 Austen Flint, is the son of former UP basketball player Dave Flint.

Dave Flint played for Coach Jack Avina at UP 1980-82 and 1984-85 (the Jose Slaughter era) and after graduation went down under to Australia, playing professionally for a number of years before turning to a very successful coaching career in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.....about a 100 miles northwest of Melbourne.

His son, Austen, is a 3-time captain of the OIT basketball team....probably a good indication he is a coach's son.

Austen's grandmother will be in the Chiles Center tomorrow night....so be nice.  Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:23 am

DoubleDipper wrote:As most probably know, Coach Reveno and/or Scott Leykam scheduled this game to honor Head Coach Danny Miles who will retire after 45 years and over 1,000 wins at Oregon Institute of Technology.

Not only does he have longevity, he has national titles.....three of them! The Hustlin' Owls won NAIA National Champions in 2004, 2008, and 2012.

No matter how you examine Coach Miles' record, it's stellar by any gauge: 1,017 wins, 14 conference championships, 17 national tournament appearances, 5 Final Four appearances, 4 National Finals, and 3 National Championships.

Oh, and during his tenure at Tech the versatile Miles has also been assistant coach in the Tech football program and the head coach of the baseball and softball teams. On four occasions, his baseball teams finished in the top three in District II. In ten years with the Oregon Tech softball program Tech won six conference championships including one trip to the NAIA Softball World Series. Shocked

This is fantastic, and I am glad that it worked out to play them this season... Coach Miles is certainly someone to be recognized.

I understand that a lot of Division I schools do not like to play local, "smaller" programs in football and basketball... there is little to gain for the D-I school, with a lot to lose... and the inverse for the "small" school. I am glad that UP scheduled this way (and has historically with games vs. CU-Portland, L&C, etc.), rather than playing some school that we have to look up to see where they are from.

On a much more grand scale, the Michigan State football team scheduled a game at Western Michigan the week before playing the Ducks that was seen as an economic stimulus for the state... the thousands (tens of thousands?) of MSU fans travelling to Kalamazoo spent money there and along the way, booked hotel rooms, ate in restaurants, etc... money that historically could have either gone out of state or not existed if the game was in East Lansing.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

@UPBeaconSports wrote:RT @malika_andrews Jarrel Marshall out tonight (ankle) for @PilotHoops. Doubtful for Sunday at UC Davis.
@CoachReveno wrote:You guys are good! Jarrel will take a few days and guys need to step up. Appreciate the student support tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Turns out the Pilots didn't do much to slow down Yellow Owl.

Fortunately, they had no answer to Bryce from downtown.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm

It is early in the season... but good to get a win. Our defense was pretty poor most of the game tonight, and I suppose that is to be expected with all the new personnel.

Lets hope we make some progress there and get Marshall healthy soon!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down