Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm

+5
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm Empty Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:40 am

Here we go, the 2014-15 season is getting underway!  I figured I would take a turn getting the game thread going.

Portland Pilots vs. Concordia Cavaliers
Date: Friday, Nov. 14, 2014
Tip-off: 7:00 p.m.
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Radio: 910 AM
Live Video: PortlandPilots.com
Live Audio: PortlandPilots.com
Live Stats: PortlandPilots.com

THIS WEEK
• The Pilots open the regular season at the Chiles Center on Friday, Nov. 14 versus Concordia (Ore.). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Portland will then make a quick road trip to San Jose State to face the Spartans on Sunday at 1 p.m.

TICKET INFORMATION
• Single game tickets for Portland men’s basketball games start at $10 for adults and $5 for kids.
• Season tickets, mini packs, and group packs are still available for the 2014-15 season.  Click here ticket package options and pricing.

GAME COVERAGE
All Portland games will be aired on Sports 910 (KMTT) beginning with a 30-minute pregame show and complete postgame coverage. Veteran voice of the Pilots Bill Johnson returns to call the action this season.
All non-conference home games will have complete HD video coverage featuring multiple cameras, instant replay and graphics will be available at PortlandPilots.com. Sunday’s game at San Jose State will also have a free video stream available.
• Radio simulcasts and live game statistics will also be available on  PortlandPilots.com.

PROMOTIONS
• Pre-Game Pasta returns to the Chiles Center mezzanine for every home game this season. $8 provides all you can eat pasta, salad, desserts and snacks beginning one hour prior to tip-off.
• The Pilot Club space on the south mezzanine will remain open from one hour prior to tip-off through the 12-minute mark of the second half for all games this season. Pilot Club members will have open access to the space and will receive one free beverage of choice per game. A Pilot Club Gameday Pass is available for $5 for non-Pilot Club members. The pass will include one free drink token that can be used for beer or soda on that date. The space will be open to all ages and have beverage service start-to-finish. Re-entry will be allowed throughout the game and snacks will be provided after tip-off. For more information, click here.

ABOUT CONCORDIA
The Cavaliers will be concluding their final season as an NAIA school before transitioning to Division II next season.
• Concordia is currently 3-0 on the season with wins over British Columbia (62-61), Multnomah (120-71) and at Alaska-Anchorage (79-74).
• Six players are averaging double figures in the early going for the Cavaliers.
• Head coach Brad Barbarick is in his 21st season with Concordia and posted a 22-10 overall record and 11-7 mark in CCC action last season. He lost leading scorer Adam Herman (24.5 ppg) to graduation.

I did not know that CU was moving to D-II...  good for them!  Interestingly, it looks like CU played at D-II UAA on back-to-back nights last week, winning both games 79-74 and 75-73.  Winning twice at UAA is nothing to shake a stick at...

Speaking of UAA, that reminded me of the annual Great Alaska Shootout tournament held every Thanksgiving...  and the Pilots played in it when I was a student, and did quite well.  The results from the GAS website:
Nov. 24
Weber State 94, North Carolina State 80
Purdue 74, Wisconsin-Green Bay 69

Nov. 25
Portland 100, Hawaii 47
UAA 70, Wake Forest 68

Nov. 26
Wisconsin-Green Bay 76, North Carolina State 56
Wake Forest 78, Hawaii 49
Portland 96, UAA 89 (2OT)
Purdue 97, Weber State 78

Nov. 27
North Carolina State 83, Hawaii 48 (7th/8th)
Wake Forest 61, Wisconsin-Green Bay 58 (OT) (4th/6th)
Weber State 91, UAA 82 (3rd/5th)
Purdue 88, Portland 73 (Championship)

Most Outstanding Player: Glenn Robinson, Purdue
All-Tournament Team: Todd Fuller, North Carolina State; Jeremy Ludvigson, Wisconsin-Green Bay; Trelonnie Owens, Wake Forest); Jason Kaiser, UAA; Matt Houle, Portland; Cuonzo Martin, Purdue; Ray Ross, Portland; Johnnie Moore, Weber State; Canaan Chatman, Portland; Robbie Johnson, Weber State

Anyhow....  back to the Cavaliers... lets welcome them back to the lower 48 with a thorough thrashing!  I would like to see us really keep our foot on the gas and put teams away.  We are going to need to do that this season!!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm Empty Re: Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Concordia's actually 5-0...had two wins over UAA and just had a home win on Tuesday over MSU Northern (based in Havre, Montana...hometown of former Pilots WBB assistant coach Lori Payne, how's that for a tie-in).

Looks like Concordia's offence is named Tyler Velasquez. 5-11 guard from Colorado with twice as many shots as anyone else, though they've got three other starters averaging over 11 PPG as well.

PilotNut wrote:Most Outstanding Player: Glenn Robinson, Purdue
THE BIG DOG!

Back to top Go down

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm Empty Re: Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm excited to get the season officially underway. For those of us who haven't paid as much attention over the past few months, what is the expected rotation? Who has the potential to surprise us this year?

GO PILOTS!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:49 pm

!!! If you'll look at one of the 50 posts at "2014 Preseason" and other related threads, you'll probably find the answers to most of your questions. Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Forgive me for trying to stimulate conversation in an actual game thread on opening day of the regular season. I'll go read the month-old, multi-page, behemoth threads that seem to be the only place anyone wants to congregate these days.

EDIT: DD, this probably came off stronger than it should have. I apologize for that. I missed you at the game on Saturday and hope I'll see you tonight!

Last edited by ShipstadPilot11 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:15 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:I'm excited to get the season officially underway. For those of us who haven't paid as much attention over the past few months, what is the expected rotation?

Wintering, Pressley, Bailey, Gerun, van der Mars will start. Sharp, Barker first off the bench.

I guess it remains to be seen how the five newcomers and Aitor Z. will be used...hopefully you'll see all of them in the second half today as the Pilots coast to a big win, giving them some floor time and resting up for San Jose State on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Forgive me for trying to stimulate conversation in an actual game thread on opening day of the regular season. I'll go read the month-old, multi-page, behemoth threads that seem to be the only place anyone wants to congregate these days.

EDIT: DD, this probably came off stronger than it should have. I apologize for that. I missed you at the game on Saturday and hope I'll see you tonight!

Don't apologize. Things stay pretty tame around here since Mesa doesn't post anymore, so it's good to spice it up Twisted Evil
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:46 pm

And there's blacksheep playing the role of Kevin Harvick, shoving Jeff Gordon (ShipstadPilot11) into Brad Keselowski (DoubleDipper) to start a fight, and standing back to watch the fun. Could get exciting in the Pilot Club tonight!

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:51 pm

up7587 wrote:Could get exciting in the Pilot Club tonight!
Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm S5gnxb
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Not much chance.

DD dines and lathers with the swells in the HOF room.

Armed guards at the door.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Dang! Harvicked by blacksheep....but I'd much rather be Gordon. Smile

Just taxiing into PDX after arriving from ORD and found out there's a rumble tonight in the Pilot Club....I'm in! No Mrs. DD tonight.

Pilots should win, but I don't take anything for granted....everyone on PN, come out and support your team!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:44 pm

I'll be there with chains and baseball bats.

High school 1963 all over again.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Hmm, it was the same at my school in Oakland...

Too soon to start a new thread, but you can start planning your 2015 Thanksgiving now. PilotNut mentioned the Great Alaska Shootout....Pilots MBB & WBB will be in the GAS next year!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:22 am

up7587 wrote:And there's blacksheep playing the role of Kevin Harvick, shoving Jeff Gordon (ShipstadPilot11) into Brad Keselowski (DoubleDipper) to start a fight, and standing back to watch the fun. Could get exciting in the Pilot Club tonight!

Just like NASCAR, there was some pushing and shoving, but it wasn't much of a fight. Lots of talk though!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:38 am

Seems like a solid win, just checked a box score so will look forward to seeing some thoughts on here.

WCC goes 8-1 today. Only blemish was a close six-point neutral-site loss by San Diego to Boise State.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:54 am

It was great to allow the new guys to play essentially the entire second half... giving them experience, and resting the starters for Sunday.

It is hard to tell against CU, but the new guys all looked pretty good for this early on.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:58 am

The freshmen got some playing time.

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm 20141113
Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm 20141110

Last edited by dholcombe on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:03 am

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm 20141111

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:07 am

Some coaching occurred:

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm 20141112

And oh yeah, I got a new camera lens today so I took it to play around with. Got a few good shots, but still learning the lens. Wish that dunk was in focus a little better.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:28 am

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm 20141114

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:33 am

And the refs called a whole lot of fouls, including this one on Alec. A whole lot of fouls... both teams were in the double bonus with over 8 minutes to go.

Concordia (OR) @ Portland, Friday 11/14, 7pm 20141115

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:49 am

Well, the bench is certainly deeper than it's been in awhile...tonight everyone played, and the only one not to score was the "shooter," Bobby Sharp....a streaky shooter who's in a slump.

A good first game, and as noted, the guys should all have fresh legs for the quick turnaround to San Jose St. as only Bryce (24) and Kevin (22) played more than 20 minutes.

Most impressed by Voldy, Kevin and Bryce.  Even though Bryce's numbers may not be as good as others (4 turnovers), he was everywhere on the court helping his teammates and disrupting CU.  

Best newcomer is no surprise after watching him in practice....Gabe Taylor.

Thomas nearly had a double double (9 boards/10 points), but I still think he's being out hustled for loose balls and is not blocking out like he's capable.  He is one of the hardest working guys on the court and along with Alec, is the team Captain....just seemed a little tentative in the early going tonight.

I know Xubi can play, but so far he's not giving us a lot of confidence in his ball handling....I think he's just one of those players who needs to get a lot more time on the court to get his game together.  Coach Brown almost seems like his personal coach at time, and I'm sure it will payoff eventually.

Overall assessment....a very good effort all around, but face it, the competiton was suspect.  It will be interesting to see how well the Pilots defend against the 3-pointer against the Spartans on Sunday afternoon. Rashad Muhammad could probably put up over 30 points from behind the arc if he's not guarded closely....and even that might not be enough to stop him.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 pm

PilotNut wrote:I figured I would take a turn getting the game thread going.

You might as well keep it going for tomorrow's SJ State game...get hot, stay hot!

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:23 pm

I will tell you what I was most impressed with, the new portal for streaming the games. I really wish the quality was like this the past 4 years but chalk it up to progress. I watched the game on my Ipad and it was just like watching it on TV. No buffering and they even had two announcers calling the game. It really was a nice video.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:16 pm

pilotdad1 wrote:I will tell you what I was most impressed with, the new portal for streaming the games. I really wish the quality was like this the past 4 years but chalk it up to progress. I watched the game on my Ipad and it was just like watching it on TV. No buffering and they even had two announcers calling the game. It really was a nice video.
Production quality is definitely up! But I'd rather hear Bill Johnson's call on the video. He's the voice of the Pilots!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next