Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 29 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 29 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by wrv Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 am

If we are going to cite comments from other boards, how about this one from the UCSB board:

Portland No. 12 #7

Hmm ... They've signed a bunch of 2 star recruits and Shaver. Is Hoop Scoop run by Porter's mom?

http://ucsbgauchos.yuku.com/topic/21183/Shaver-to-Portland#.WR2qhCMrK3c

And if we are discussing Coach Cantu's comments, I found interesting his comment that Hogland may be the "sleeper of the class."

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

https://gaels360.com/2017/05/18/handicapping-the-wcc/

Portland Pilots

Ex-NBA great and Portland icon Terry Porter received a rude introduction into the WCC in his first college coaching gig: ace guard Alec Wintering went down with a blown ACL in the Pilots’ sixth league game, effectively ending their season and dooming them to the cellar with a 2-16 record (11-22 overall).

Even before Wintering’s injury, however, Porter was actively recruiting to improve the Pilots’ lot. He signed four players before the early signing deadline in November of 2016, earning a no. 17 national ranking from Hoop Scoop. Okay, you and I have never heard of Hoop Scoop, and neither have Rivals or ESPN, traditional arbiters of college basketball recruiting, but a ranking’s a ranking.

Of the initial crop, JoJo Walker, a two-star guard from St. Joseph High School in Santa Maria, CA, was at least traceable, while one of the others was from Japan, one from New Zealand and one from a junior college in Salkehatchie, South Carolina (high school at Loyola in Los Angeles).

Porter’s existing team seemed to cast its judgement on the recruits and the boisterous way in which Porter and the university were publicizing them when four of them, including leading scorer Jazz Johnson, announced they were leaving the program in March. Undeterred, Porter announced three more recruits — one from England, one from Hawaii and one, Crisshawn Clark, a transfer from Pittsburgh of the Atlantic Coast Conference except he never played for Pitt because he tore his ACL for the second time before the season began.

Porter seemed to save the best for last when he landed legit three-star guard Marcus Shaver from Shadow Mountain High School in Phoenix, AZ, earlier this month. Boise State, facing the defection of point guard Paris Austin to Cal, was anxious to land Shaver, but he chose the Pilots.

The jury will remain out until all of Porter’s far-flung parts come together, but with eight newcomers on its roster, Portland deserves an “A” for effort. In an ironic coda to the recruiting effort, Porter’s best player next season may be his own son, Franklin, who left Saint Mary’s after a tantalizing freshman season to follow his dad to Portland.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 pm

From March 31st:
DoubleDipper wrote:Spent time with Alec M., Chier, and Xavier today....all are excited about the next chapter in their lives.

Alec tells me he'll be heading to either Snow or Salt Lake Community College, and both he and Chier will begin the recruiting process all over again...both expecting to get back to D1 ball after a year at a JUCO.
Today from Salt Lake Community College:
@SLCC basketball wrote:    Pleased to officially welcome Portland transfer 6'6" forward Alec Monson to SLCC!  
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11263
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/05/19/marcus-shaver-shadow-mountain-basketball-recruiting/332709001/

Marcus Shaver's apprenticeship with former NBA point guards will continue in college.

The 6-foot-3 All-Arizona point guard from Phoenix Shadow Mountain said he has committed to playing basketball at the University of Portland, which is led by former Portland Trail Blazers guard and one-time Suns coach Terry Porter.

Shaver, who averaged 22.4 points, 2.5 assists and 2.7 steals, leading Shadow Mountain to the 4A state basketball championship, signed with UC Santa Barbara last November. But after UCSB coach Bob Williams was fired, Shaver was able to get out of his scholarship and begin the recruiting process all over.

"I chose Portland because I wanted to continue my growth," Shaver said.

Shaver, who spent the last two years playing for prep academies in the Dallas area, felt he developed quite a bit in one year under former NBA point guard Mike Bibby at Shadow Mountain. Bibby spent 14 seasons in the NBA after playing two years at the University of Arizona.

Porter, who coached the Suns in 2008-09, spent 17 seasons in the NBA. He had his jersey retired by the Trail Blazers.

He will be in his second season as head coach of the West Coast Conference school, which plays in the same conference as Gonzaga, BYU and Saint Mary's College.

The Pilots went 11-22, 2-16 in the conference, in Porter's first season.

This is considered coup by Porter to get a player of Shaver's caliber this late in the process from the 2017 class.

"The transition to being coached by Terry Porter," Shaver said appealed to him.

"Two great point guards that would mentor me," he said of Bibby and Porter. "Recruiting was not that hard after the release of UCSB. It was unfortunate what happened with Coach Williams. I would have loved to be able to play under him.

"I wanted to take my time and really see what was out there and what would be the best fit for me. I am really blessed and honored that there were many colleges that were interested in me. I really appreciate all of them.

"I believe that playing under Coach Porter and with the recruiting class that is coming to the University of Portland, I believe we are going to do some great things."
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Another excellent article about Marcus and Terry and the Pilots... pirat

Thanks for continuing to dig, SV!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat May 20, 2017 2:09 am

Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 am

Some interesting comments from boards previously cited about Terry Porter and staff and the program who most believe are moving to a level we have not seen for some time, even assuming DD is over his skis.

And, had coach Porter not walked on Ty Cockfield, well maybe he would not have posted his comment on the mistake it was to do so, but I am sure other offers have been pulled by this point . . .must be waiting for a reason, maybe a P5 offer?

From an informed Boise State post:

Re: Marcus Shaver Jr. (not yet committed)
Thursday at 6:12 PM
Portland will be in the top half of the WCC next year. Porter is making a huge difference.

http://www.scout.com/college/boise-state/forums/2248-taco-bell-arena-talk/16142818-marcus-shaver-to-portland

From the New Mexico State board:

Re: Marcus Shaver
Wednesday at 12:01 PM
Terry Porter is the coach of Portland. He may be putting something good together. He was one hell of a point guard.

http://www.scout.com/college/new-mexico-state/forums/2377-sports-trough/15670432-marcus-shaver?page=2

And this admonition from Ty Cockfield himself:

Ty Cockfield‏ @TyCockfield1 May 18
The ones that walked out on me gon' wish they would've never done that...

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 20, 2017 11:40 am

Anyone taking Ty's post on May 18 as a reference to UP, is wrong!

UP would loved to have had him at UP, and even though he was officially off the board, the staff gave him every chance to come to UP until the final week of the recruiting period.

Not sure the actual reason Ty did not come to UP, but the general feeling was he just didn't want to leave the SE and all his friends and family to go so far away from home.

A number of schools have had to move on from Ty or lose their opportunity to pick up another excellent point guard.  Ty may have overplayed his hand....I hope not, he's a great kid and wonderful basketball player.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat May 20, 2017 12:04 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Anyone taking Ty's post on May 18 as a reference to UP, is wrong!

UP would loved to have had him at UP, and even though he was officially off the board, the staff gave him every chance to come to UP until the final week of the recruiting period.

Not sure the actual reason Ty did not come to UP, but the general feeling was he just didn't want to leave the SE and all his friends and family to go so far away from home.

A number of schools have had to move on from Ty or lose their opportunity to pick up another excellent point guard.  Ty may have overplayed his hand....I hope not, he's a great kid and wonderful basketball player.

I suppose then that your comment that the Pilots had moved on, as reflected by their no longer being listed on Verbal Commits as recruiting Ty was, . . .perhaps not accurate.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 20, 2017 12:11 pm

wrv wrote:I suppose then that your comment that the Pilots had moved on, as reflected by their no longer being listed on Verbal Commits as recruiting Ty was, . . .perhaps not accurate.
The simple answer is, "perhaps!"  A more detailed answer would be way too much discussion for something that is now "under the bridge."
2017 Recruiting - Page 29 Bridge10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:
I especially loved Cantu's remarks: "we only wanted guys who could be all-conference or start at Gonzaga." Then, he follows that up with the: "come play for and NBA player/coach with his jersey retired, for this staff with so much experience, in a conference that had a team in the title game, in the Phil Knight tournament in front of 100 NBA scouts."

That was enough boxes for Shaver to check off, apparently.

2017 Recruiting - Page 29 Untitl11

Also highlights from the Las Vegas "recruiting" tournament just made it to the youtubez. About halfway through you can spot Porter and Knutson in the background.

Also another random thing I stumbled upon the other day on a bored weekend. A random site not named HoopScoop ranked our fall recruiting class around 40th in the nation back in Januaray. Hard to tell exactly what rank because it falls under "The Next Ten" of "Top 30 Mid-Season Recruiting Classes" and we're the last on the list. Curious to see what the full class rankings will be.

http://thebasketballchannel.net/kentucky-takes-the-mid-season-lead-in-recruiting/

Speaking of HoopScoop, weren't the final rankings for that supposed to come out last week or something?
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:...Speaking of HoopScoop, weren't the final rankings for that supposed to come out last week or something?
Apparently Hoop Scoop has decided to wait until mid-June to publish their final analysis because so many top quality recruits continue to delay their college choices well beyond the "normal recruiting period."  Based upon Hoop Scoop's preliminary rankings and then the addition of Shaver, I think we can expect UP to move into the Top-10, and be the #1 mid-major.

A UCSB supporter recently questioned the validity of Hoop Scoop's preliminary rankings because UP had all 2-star ranked recruits at the time the rankings were released, and because the UCSB fan was not familiar with Hoop Scoop in general.

In reply, I think most agree the star rating system employed by Verbal Commits can be pretty darn subjective and does not apply to players coming from outside the US, who are automatically assigned a rating of "2." VC simply adds up the ratings of a player by ESPN, Scout, and Rivals and then gives a composite score.  Rarely does a player have a rating from all three services, and when they don't have any rating, an automatic "2" is assigned.  Rashad Jackson is a good example: Scout gave him a 3, Rivals didn't rate him, and although ESPN scouted him, they did not give him a rating, so VC gave him a composite score of 2.5. Strange....

As for Hoop Scoops, Inc., they are a Louisville based national recruiting website and scouting service providing analysis, rankings, and "coverage of grassroots basketball since 1983."  And as it is a pricey subscription service, it may not be well known to those who rely solely on free information. It is run by Clark Francis (not "Porter's mother" as surmised by the UCSB fan), and it complies with NCAA regulations regarding recruiting and scouting....and it costs a coach $499 per year to subscribe.  Shocked (Fans can get a watered down version for only $100 per year.)  

I think we can all smile a little when other fan boards express their displeasure (some boards have been very generous in their comments about the UP recruits) due to UP taking certain recruits out from under them....I hope that kind of recruiting continues into the future.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu May 25, 2017 6:51 pm

The Hoop Scoop rating is a bit suspect in at least one way. Their rating is simply an addition of all recruits scores added up then compared directly against other schools. They don't use a star system, but they do give all recruits in their ranking brackets (41-70, etc.) a number of points. If it were a star system it would work like this. School A: 8 * 2 star recruits = 16. School B: 3 * 5 star recruits = 15. Hoop Scoop would declare School A to have a higher ranked recruiting class, but that rating doesn't pass the eyeball test imo.

A better metric would be average recruit score or score of the top 4 recruits per school or something like that since very few schools are going to have a large # of recruits in a given year.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 pm

So basically we have a good ranking due to quantity, not necessarily quality. That is a terrible ranking system. I would place more credence in Hoop Scoop's judgment if it were corroborated by another source. ESPN's updated rankings don't include UP in the top 40. The only non-P6 schools are Western Kentucky (14), UNLV (25) and Saint Louis (32).

http://m.espn.com/ncb/recruiting/classRankings?src=desktop

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri May 26, 2017 12:05 am

It's not as bad as if you added things up in a star based system.http://www.hoopscooponline.com/recruiting-class-rankings-free-preview/ has the methodology
So you can't have a class of complete trash and be ranked highly, but quantity is an element.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri May 26, 2017 7:31 am

While the ranking methods and validity of their results might be suspect, it is nice that at least someone out there seems to think highly of us. That is not something we are used to.

I also agree that it's a decent sign that we can beat other programs (even if only once) for recruits like Shaver. That is also unusual for us (I can recall many discussions of "who did we actually beat to get ___________? Probably no one.").

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I do not think ESPN is a reliable source for rating non P5 recruiting. When I last looked, they did not have Marcus Shaver, our highest rated recruit, committing to us--so how could they rate the class?

But ultimately the quality of this class is not dependent on the rating services. The coaching staff has described this class as the best in Portland men's basketball history--that is a rating on which I think you can place some reliance--it is not merely self congratulatory.

So long as we do not get over our skis, there is reason for optimism.

I intend to be there in the fall to find out.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 26, 2017 4:41 pm

wrv wrote:

I intend to be there in the fall to find out.

Me too.

Let's remember this staff has itself predicted 6th place for next season, no doubt because of the freshmen getting their first taste of D1.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Finally!
@JucoRecruiting wrote: Ty Cockfield (6'1, CG, 2017) of Georgia Highlands has committed to Arkansas State  
Not a surprise really, Ty said he wanted to stay relatively close to home and not come west.  The Red Wolves are located in Jonesboro, about a seven hour drive from his home in Georgia, and they play in the Sun Belt Conference.

Ty would have been a good leader for the young Pilots, but it should be a good experience for the team and the fans to see JoJo and Marcus develop their game and their leadership together over the next four years.... pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun May 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Naturally, the Boise State fanbase is disappointed.

http://www.scout.com/college/boise-state/forums/2248-taco-bell-arena-talk/16198482-new-recruit/ms/196660031?page=2

Wow, just wow. We can't beat Arky St. or Portland for recruits. Something's wrong fellas.

Maybe its just that most good JC and graduate transfer guys want a chance to start in their final year or two of eligibility. That chance probably doesn't exist at Boise State with Marcus [Dickinson], a sophomore, a near shoo-in for the starting PG position.

Playing time, starting, is a big deal for these guys.

Also Marcus Shaver updated his twitter summary recently so it now includes..."UOP Basketball"

Should someone tell him before any Pacific fans get confused? tongue
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:31 am

Saw this in today's paper, couldn't resist any sort of Portland mention.

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/hawaii-sports/hall-pass-iolanis-hugh-hogland/

Iolani's graduation was on Saturday. Didn't go personally, but did find an archive stream online. One thing's for sure, he is definitely a lot taller than the average Hawaii kid tongue

Looks like Summer Session II is still a few weeks away...can't wait to see the rest of the recruiting class in action!
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:01 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Looks like Summer Session II is still a few weeks away...can't wait to see the rest of the recruiting class in action!
Anyone attending UP's Reunion Weekend should have an opportunity to welcome all the new guys to the Bluff.  The Reunion is June 23-25 (the Alumni Game is at 4 on Saturday the 24th), and all the guys are supposed to be on campus that weekend to begin Summer II on Monday the 26th.

Still no official announcement of the trip to London, but looks like the team should be able to begin their allowed 10 practices right after finals end on August 3rd, which could suggest they'll head across the Atlantic around August 13th.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm

After "losing" Shaver to UP and Cockfield to Arkansas St., it would appear Boise St. finally got a short-term fix at point guard when Lexus Williams, a grad transfer from Valpo, signed with BSU today.

UP took a look at Williams when it was apparent Cockfield didn't want to come west, but in the end the staff narrowed it down to incoming freshman Marcus Shaver, or Chris Giles, if Marcus went elsewhere.

Do you suppose BSU Assistant Coach Mike Burns planted a bugging device under UP Assistant Coach Bob Cantu's desk during his very short tenure at UP?  Seems every point guard UP recruited, BSU did the same..... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 am

Clackamas HS PG Elijah Gonzalez, who was either dropped by PSU or opted out of his LOI with PSU after the coaching change, and subsequently had a quick tryout with the Pilots, has signed with St. Peters in Jersey City, NJ.  Just off the New Jersey turnpike, as I recall.

A very talented young man who was considered just too small in stature to be a WCC point guard, it will be interesting to see how he'll fare in the MAAC.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 am

dholcombe wrote:The Hoop Scoop rating is a bit suspect in at least one way. Their rating is simply an addition of all recruits scores added up then compared directly against other schools. They don't use a star system, but they do give all recruits in their ranking brackets (41-70, etc.) a number of points.
SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:While the ranking methods and validity of their results might be suspect, it is nice that at least someone out there seems to think highly of us. That is not something we are used to.
Here’s how the point system works and where UP’s recruits fit according to Hoop Scoop:
Top 5 players nationally….10 pts
6-10…..9 pts
11-40…..8 pts
41-70…..6 pts (Tahirou Diabate)
71-100…..4 pts (Taki Fahrensohn, Josh McSwiggan)
101-300…..3 pts (Austin Stone, JoJo Walker, Hugh Hogland, Marcus Shaver)
301-1000.….2 pts
Those not in the top 1000…..1 pt

Hoop Scoop's final tally of recruiting classes should be out later this week....UP is expected to be rated 8th or 9th based upon its cumulative score.

(Pitt transfer, Crisshawn Clark, is not listed because transfer players are not included in the equation.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next