Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 31 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 pm

It's difficult to speculate on Austin Stone's future (or even his present) with the Pilots, but this article from the Rock Hill, SC Herald tells us a little about Austin's past.  

www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/article197812504.html

(Hard to say why so many are unable to determine what conference UP plays in.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It's difficult to speculate on Austin Stone's future (or even his present) with the Pilots, but this article from the Rock Hill, SC Herald tells us a little about Austin's past.  

www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/article197812504.html

(Hard to say why so many are unable to determine what conference UP plays in.)

Thanks for pulling up that article DD. I have noticed Austin is" fundamentally sound" like the article mentions,probably the best of our bigs in that area. He just doesn't have the length/height or skill set of the others. I for one hope he can contribute to this team,and  I wish him well.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 am

Given that we have almost a full season under our belts with what Hoop Scoop online labeled the #10 recruiting class, is Hoop Scoop's rating of the class at all supportable? Has the Pilot class shown enough promise that you could argue without being disingenuous that perhaps Hoop Scoop was right?

Revolutions have taken place throughout the world where the ultimate result is the country is worse off, sometimes far worse, despite promises of change for the better. Here, Porter's approach to the program was akin in that he did bring not back some important parts of the team--Jazz and Taylor.  Not sure whether that was intentional but it appeared so. Despite the allure of starting the program over, anyone think that starting things anew, throwing the baby out with the bath water, was not wise?

I am not advocating for Porter's release at all--I am mildly optimistic for the program, but wonder if our competitiveness has improved with all the change? Let's hope we at least retain the roster that we brought in.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 pm

After the [Pepperdine] game, I asked Diabate about his impressions of his first season of NCAA basketball and found that getting used to the differences between Japanese basketball was the most difficult. From November until today, he participated in 29 games (of which he started in 21) playing a little under 20 minutes on average. It is great that he gained so much experience in his first year.

https://twitter.com/yokomiyaji/status/967634350501015552

I also talked with Hugh Hogland (Hiyuu Watanabe). It was unfortunate that he wasn't able to represent the Japanese national team this past weekend (it seems the university did not give the OK). If he gets selected from the camp held in June/July, he will participate in the representative battle.

(The Japanese national team played Chinese Taipei this past Thursday as part of FIBA 2019 qualifiers and lost a heartbreaker 70-69)

https://twitter.com/yokomiyaji/status/967635242071728129
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:With the help of StudentPilot's cell phone camera and Dean Murdoch's extensive knowledge of Canada hoops, we now know the "near Vancouver" man who's name starts with "F" with Kramer-like hair who is currently visiting UP....it's Fardaws Aimaq, a 6-10/245 power forward from Richmond, Canada.
2017 Recruiting - Page 31 Fardaw10
Probably a man who could use a redshirt year to develop, but certainly "under the radar" with only one known offer: USF, but with interest from Yale, which could indicate very good academic credentials.
An inch, taller and after almost a year at prep school, Aimaq has committed to Mercer University in Macon.

After visiting UP with Marcus Shaver a year ago, UP did NOT offer him a scholarship, but at one time he apparently had offers from USF, Pepperdine's previous staff,  and Yale.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am

wrv wrote:On a more earthly note: Gabe Taylor reported to be transferring to California Baptist where he will join Jason Todd to finish his career. He has decided to leave the institution afterall.

Good luck Gabe.

Taylor and Todd finished their careers in Division II, but Cal Baptist is moving up to D-1.  They'll play in the WAC with Seattle U. and Grand Canyon U.  https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/4/6/17194098/cal-baptist-lancers-division-one-wac-2018-rick-croy

Perhaps a future WCC member when GU moves to the PAC-12.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:04 pm

If I read the announcement last year that Cal Baptist and North Alabama were going D1, I certainly don't remember it.

One additional West Coast D1 team can't hurt for scheduling options. If I'm reading it correctly, the two transitioning teams will be RPI counters next year if they follow D1 scheduling rules (no more than four games against non-D1 teams). They'll be RPI counters for sure in 2019-20, when they HAVE to follow D1 rules.

Maybe Cal Baptist can replace Incarnate Word on Gonzaga's non-conference schedule next year...
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Deano wrote:Maybe Cal Baptist can replace Incarnate Word on Gonzaga's non-conference schedule next year.

Imagine the possible headlines if World B. Free had played for Incarnate World...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 am

The O's recruiting reporter takes a shot at the Hoop Scoop #10 ranking.
https://www.oregonlive.com/collegebasketball/2019/01/portland-pilots-embarrassing-2017-basketball-recruiting-class-announcement-looks-well-worse-now-commentary.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:19 pm

To be honest, it’s a little hard to look back at these “the future’s so bright we gotta wear shades” posts from May of 2017.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:03 pm

The writer makes the argument that the school, and Porter, should not have touted a sketchy story.  I frequently see Pollyanna tweets from the athletic department where a team's results were "just a bit outside".  Sure, it is no fun to talk about poor results, but I think it's a bad look to paint every report with unicorns and rainbows.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:23 pm

up7587 wrote:...but I think it's a bad look to paint every report with unicorns and rainbows.

I agree, and am frequently irked by them... and you can tell there is a challenge to find new and different ways to describe losses.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:11 pm

PilotNut wrote:...and you can tell there is a challenge to find new and different ways to describe losses.

Hey, that's one of the toughest parts of the job for any PR person!  Wink

"Holds off" is always a classic (e.g. "Dons hold off Pilots..."). "Tops" is usually a safe one to use when it's a blowout (e.g. "Gonzaga tops Portland"). More fun is "Pepperdine escapes Chiles Center with victory" or something like that. And of course "get past"; "outlast"; "overcome"; "get by"; "hold on"; etc etc.

And I understand the point about not being "puppies and rainbows" in communication strategy, but there is a tough line to walk when coaches are advocating for coverage and particularly want positive posts that they can then send along to recruits and parents. At the end of the day, the job is to position the University (and the athletic department) in the best positive light.

I think probably the best way to deal with games that get totally out of control is to have a bit of a sense of humor about it... NBA teams tend to do this pretty well on social media during blowouts. But you can only do so much of that.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 pm

The story by Nemec in the O on HoopScoop Online is a sad postscript to the excitement raised among fans of the program. One wonders whether HoopScoop is honorable in its assessments.

It is clear that the Portland 2017 recruiting class is no where near the top 10.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 pm

As noted by others in here nearly two years ago, Hoop Scoop’s exaggerated rankings were a function of the Pilots having eight incoming recruits and the publication using a cumulative system as opposed to an average.

I don’t know why 20 months later the blame is being thrown at the Athletics department for an “embarrassing recruiting announcement” - if you want to rip Hoop Scoop, fine, but if an independent scouting service is heavily lauding the incoming class at my school then I’m probably going to run with it too....just like UTEP did:

https://utepathletics.com/news/2015/7/7/UTEP_Basketball_Recruiting_Class_Garners_Top_15_Ranking.aspx

Hey, a familiar name in there...
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Because the administration trumpeted poop scoop. Hindsight is a difficult judge, but there were no voices expressing restraint notwithstanding the indefinsible assessment. While it may have been an addition of the individual recruits assessment, those assessments also were out of line. It appears that the coaches and the athletic Administration participated in over selling the product.

It would be interesting to know the communication which occurred between members of the coaching staff and poop scoop prior to publication. I am speculating, but it might prove that Nemec was correct.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:34 pm

The common element here seems to be Bob Cantu. First, in 2015, Hoop Scoop ranks UTEP’s recruiting class as #12 in the nation. I couldn't find any other source that ranks that year's UTEP class any higher than #38.

Then, in 2016, Hoop Scoop ranked Cantu as one of the “Top 30 Assistant Coaches at Schools that Don’t Participate in a High Major Conference.”
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/2016/03/

Then Cantu moves to Portland the next year, and that first recruiting class is #10 in the country, with no other ranking putting the Pilots even in the top 100.

When Cantu was hired at UP in 2016, the athletic department’s article announcing the hire is peppered with references to various Hoop Scoop rankings and honors for Cantu.
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/6/10/bob-cantu-named-mens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

There's gotta be some connection between Cantu and Hoop Scoop...

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:00 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:With the help of StudentPilot's cell phone camera and Dean Murdoch's extensive knowledge of Canada hoops, we now know the "near Vancouver" man who's name starts with "F" with Kramer-like hair who is currently visiting UP....it's Fardaws Aimaq, a 6-10/245 power forward from Richmond, Canada.
2017 Recruiting - Page 31 Fardaw10
Probably a man who could use a redshirt year to develop, but certainly "under the radar" with only one known offer: USF, but with interest from Yale, which could indicate very good academic credentials.
An inch, taller and after almost a year at prep school, Aimaq has committed to Mercer University in Macon.

After visiting UP with Marcus Shaver a year ago, UP did NOT offer him a scholarship, but at one time he apparently had offers from USF, Pepperdine's previous staff,  and Yale.
Remember this guy, Fardaws Aimag?

Believing they could find a better post player, UP did not offer him a scholarship, so Aimaq signed with Mercer and subsequently transferred to Utah Valley.

Fardaws Aimaq currently leads the nation in rebounding, averaging over 15 rebounds per game!
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Aimag, originally in the Class of 2017, reclassified to the Class of 2018 after a prep school year.

Now in his "free" redshirt sophomore year at UVU after transferring from Mercer, he has three more years of eligibility remaining.   Shocked

Not only is he averaging 15.1 rebounds per game, he is also averaging 17.5 points per game.

Last night I watched him score 29 points with 14 rebounds and 4 blocks as UVU beat Seattle U. 93-92 in OT.  A fun game to watch in the Wolverines win over the team that already vanquished the Pilots twice this season.

Oh, and he's sporting a similar, but much sharper high and tight haircut and a full beard. Looks menacing!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:01 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Verbal Commits is reporting that UP has offered 6-1 PG Johanns 'JoJo' Walker from Puerto Rico, but now living in Santa Maria, CA and attending St. Joseph High School.

I know very little about Walker, except that he plays on an excellent high school team and is a first team all-state player.

2017 Recruiting - Page 31 12510410
Last month JoJo signed with Gostivar 2015 in North Macedonia...they play in the Macedonian Superleague.

In his first game as a pro he came off the bench to score 19, and in his only other game he started and again scored 19...he's 6-9 from behind the arc, is shooting over 60% overall, and has 15 assists in two games.  Shocked

It seemed pretty apparent that JoJo could have helped this year's Pilot team, but he has likely helped himself even more by finally beginning his professional career.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:25 pm

2017 Recruiting - Page 31 Untitled-3

Oh we've heard of Clark Francis, Jeff. #hoopscoop
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:14 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The common element here seems to be Bob Cantu. First, in 2015, Hoop Scoop ranks UTEP’s recruiting class as #12 in the nation. I couldn't find any other source that ranks that year's UTEP class any higher than #38.

Then, in 2016, Hoop Scoop ranked Cantu as one of the “Top 30 Assistant Coaches at Schools that Don’t Participate in a High Major Conference.”
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/2016/03/

Then Cantu moves to Portland the next year, and that first recruiting class is #10 in the country, with no other ranking putting the Pilots even in the top 100.

When Cantu was hired at UP in 2016, the athletic department’s article announcing the hire is peppered with references to various Hoop Scoop rankings and honors for Cantu.
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/6/10/bob-cantu-named-mens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

There's gotta be some connection between Cantu and Hoop Scoop...
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but NoPo got it exactly right!

Even after Cantu was fired from UP and living off his UP salary, that finally ends in June, he was still doing Poop Scoop podcasts with Clark Francis....

Even 15-years ago to the day he was being called-out:

"Clark Francis of Hoop Scoop is an ASS CLOWN"
https://www.bruinsnation.com/2006/2/25/16148/6990
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 pm

Theo akwuba was a named conference defensive player of the year.

https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sports/akwuba-named-defensive-player-of-the-year-russell-all-conference
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Theo akwuba was a named conference defensive player of the year.

https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sports/akwuba-named-defensive-player-of-the-year-russell-all-conference
And Second Team All-Sun Conference...

Class of 2018
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Theo akwuba was a named conference defensive player of the year.

Any way you slice it he may be the biggest miss for this staff... potential was always massive and full kudos to Theo and the ULL coaching staff for the work and effort to get him to make the jump!

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next