Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 24 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by ExpatPilot Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm

That was by no means an attack or an argument or anything negative like that, wrv. Just contributing.

Edit: Meant to be read more as an "Alas!" style statement.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 01, 2017 7:57 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:You can speculate all you want about the desires of a kid. Maybe he doesn't want the UP offer? But, he has every right to hold out and advertise in case he lands an offer from a P5 or Big East type school.
Oh yeah, you cannot blame a student-athlete for trying to play at the high-major level so as to get more attention when it comes to signing a professional contract...the dream of most high school and college players.

What Marcus Shaver or any player needs to understand is they could start every game beginning their freshman year of they are truly elite and willing to play at the mid-major level.

As of this post, I'm confident the Pilots are still on Shaver's list, but we also know the coaches only want players that truly want to be at UP and want to be part of the TEAM!  Coach Porter and Coach Knudson were among other D1 coaches watching Shaver and other hopeful players in Las Vegas this past weekend...if it doesn't work out for Shaver to come to the Bluff, it won't be for lack of effort by the UP staff.

SCP, always enjoy your incite and perspective as a UP Alum and Pilots fan living three time zones away when reading your posts...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 01, 2017 8:45 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Another player who will also sit one and play three is Mike Bibby, Jr. who, like Marcus Shaver, played for Mike Bibby, Sr. at Shadow Mountain High School before graduating in 2016.  Mike Jr. would not be eligible this coming season, but he would sure be an impact player if the Pilots were to recruit him.
Marcus Shaver probably continues to be UP's #1 choice, but in addition to Bibby, Jr. who would have to sit a year, there is a high school senior in Miami that has started to get a lot of national attention after wowing a number of coaches recently....combo guard Jonathan Brown.

Brown is listed by VC as a SG with only one D1 offer, but he has more offers than that, and since the 7th grade he has worked with his uncle Kenny Anderson, a point guard legend and former NBA All Star.  At 6-6, Brown could be too big for smaller WCC guards and too quick for the big men.

Just like it would be good to see JoJo and Marcus develop together like Alec and Jazz did, it could be equally as good to see JoJo and Jon...I'm already liking the sound of that!

There are number of videos of Jon out there, but this one seems to be the latest.  In it he trades off between wearing jersey #0 and #3....apparently trying to confuse his opponents, and us. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:You can speculate all you want about the desires of a kid. Maybe he doesn't want the UP offer? But, he has every right to hold out and advertise in case he lands an offer from a P5 or Big East type school.
Not quite P5 or Big East, but it has been reported that Shaver received offers from Boise State and UC Davis today....

EDIT:
@marcus10shaver wrote: Blessed to receive an offer from Boise State and looking forward to visiting the campus next week.  
And on and on it goes...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Got to use up all those official visits before committing. Who doesn't like a free trip?

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue May 02, 2017 11:34 pm

@marcus10shaver wrote:Blessed to receive an offer from Fordham University!

While we play the Marcus Shaver waiting game, here's some shots of Hogland playing in the state volleyball tournament which I saw in today's newspaper. First round was yesterday, rest continues from Thursday until Saturday...

2017 Recruiting - Page 24 Hoglan11
2017 Recruiting - Page 24 Hoglan10
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 am

Nice and interesting pics of Hogland.

I suppose it is good news for Pilot hopes that we have no confirmation of any P5 offers to Shaver, though interest from Utah, Colorado and Clemson have been reported on this board; and apparently no offer confirmed from New Mexico either.

If we were to sign an impact player around mid May, I think it would be a first for Pilot recruiting, but that is based on memory. Last years addition of Andre Ferguson so late in the recruiting cycle does not qualify. This is a staff with some skill in recruiting but it is late, very late if Shaver commits elsewhere.

Though names are out there, competition is obviously keen as programs are trying to fill their rosters.

Given that Crisshawn Clark is signed, given that the Pilots will need to wait for his services for a year, and given that he is a combo who can play point, do we really want to sign another player to sit out a year and then compete at point?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 03, 2017 1:14 pm

@JoshGershon wrote: Portland transfer Jazz Johnson has committed to Nevada.  
And Alec Monson tells me he's going to Snow Community College in Ephraim, UT....it's where his brother went to school after his mission and before playing at UC Davis.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed May 03, 2017 1:32 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
And Alec Monson tells me he's going to Snow Community College in Ephraim, UT....it's where his brother went to school after his mission and before playing at UC Davis.

The Wolfpack put out a Jazz highlight reel.

Kid never misses.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 03, 2017 1:44 pm

wrv wrote:Given that Crisshawn Clark is signed, given that the Pilots will need to wait for his services for a year, and given that he is a combo who can play point, do we really want to sign another player to sit out a year and then compete at point?
No, I don't think so....UP needs another point guard now, so unless they sign an immediately eligible transfer or JUCO, if they are to sign anyone, it would seem it will have to be someone fresh out of high school.

IMO the Shaver wait is over.  At this point in the "game" it is pretty obvious he was not impressed with UP enough to commit soon after his visit to the Bluff, and if a recruit does not commit within the first week or so, he's probably not super excited to be in Portland and play for Coach Porter.  The Pilots dropped Cockfield from their list due to his indecision, it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with Shaver.

All the 2017 recruits, including JUCO recruits Austin and Josh, and Pitt transfer, Crisshawn, seemed genuinely excited about coming to UP, and signed immediately after they were given the opportunity....and in JoJo's, Taki's, Hugh's and Tahirou's cases, they signed before they took their remaining four official visits.
DoubleDipper wrote:.....there is a high school senior in Miami that has started to get a lot of national attention after wowing a number of coaches recently....combo guard Jonathan Brown.
Looking through the list of "still available," instantly available Jon Brown seems the best fit for what UP is looking for, but would he want to leave the beauty of living and partying in Miami to even visit Portland, let alone play at UP???
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:Given that Crisshawn Clark is signed, given that the Pilots will need to wait for his services for a year, and given that he is a combo who can play point, do we really want to sign another player to sit out a year and then compete at point?
No, I don't think so....UP needs another point guard now, so unless they sign an immediately eligible transfer or JUCO, if they are to sign anyone, it would seem it will have to be someone fresh out of high school.

IMO the Shaver wait is over.  At this point in the "game" it is pretty obvious he was not impressed with UP enough to commit soon after his visit to the Bluff, and if a recruit does not commit within the first week or so, he's probably not super excited to be in Portland and play for Coach Porter.  The Pilots dropped Cockfield from their list due to his indecision, it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with Shaver.

All the 2017 recruits, including JUCO recruits Austin and Josh, and Pitt transfer, Crisshawn, seemed genuinely excited about coming to UP, and signed immediately after they were given the opportunity....and in JoJo's, Taki's, Hugh's and Tahirou's cases, they signed before they took their remaining four official visits.
DoubleDipper wrote:.....there is a high school senior in Miami that has started to get a lot of national attention after wowing a number of coaches recently....combo guard Jonathan Brown.
Looking through the list of "still available," instantly available Jon Brown seems the best fit for what UP is looking for, but would he want to leave the beauty of living and partying in Miami to even visit Portland, let alone play at UP???

I was alluding to Bibby primarily when inquiring as to whether we should sign a point who has to sit a year . . .could have stated that but decided not to. If we can find someone who actually can play at the D1 level, then great.

The quality of recruit, point or otherwise, out there who remains unsigned who would be eligible next year, have to wonder who that is and whether they would have any interest in Portland. Appreciate your comment regarding Shaver . . .I agree.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 pm

I agree and will add that, if we don't land this Shaver kid I wouldn't be opposed to just sweating it out for a season. We can use that scholarship next year on a good recruit instead.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 pm

wrv wrote:...I was alluding to Bibby primarily when inquiring as to whether we should sign a point who has to sit a year .  . .
The staff is looking for an "impact" player.  Bibby is that, but because there is a real need for this coming season, it's likely any thought making him an offer is on the  back burner even though the Porter/M. Bibby and Cantu/H. Bibby relationships could make it more likely M. Bibby, Jr. would strongly consider UP.
SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:.......if we don't land this Shaver kid I wouldn't be opposed to just sweating it out for a season. We can use that scholarship next year on a good recruit instead.
Pretty sure the staff agrees with you, SCP, but they seem to be confident they'll find the right guy before next fall.

The roster has 13 spots filled....add any more players and Mr. and Mrs. Porter are going to have to tap into their savings. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:

The Wolfpack put out a Jazz highlight reel.

Kid never misses.

UP Basketball channel went on a mass reel upload today for next year's class as well as past players.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOtqHEBSAu-Tk4_B_Rv4cDg/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Also another article going more into depth about Jazz's reasons for leaving and choosing Nevada. Best of luck to him.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/05/03/jazz-johnson-smooth-shooter-portland-commits-pack/101248222/

“The fan base is incredible there,” Johnson told the RGJ after committing to Nevada. “To be honest, it’s a night and day difference. Portland has been struggling for the last few years with being successful. Our fan base isn’t very high. With Nevada, it’s a community thing. There’s no professional teams. They’re basically the show of the town and the town really supports them. That’s what I love about it.”

Johnson said he didn’t have any previous link with Nevada coach Eric Musselman but one of his former assistants at Portland, Colin Pfaff, knew the Wolf Pack head coach and helped Johnson throughout the transfer process. Johnson visited Nevada during the first weekend of April and immediately felt like the fit was good.

“I had a few Mountain West schools and a few Pac-12 schools looking at me, but when I went on my visit to Nevada and met with the coaches and the guys on the team, I knew this was the place I wanted to be,” Johnson said. “Coach Muss really seemed like he wanted me. After all that and thinking about it, talking to my family, we decided that Nevada would be the best place.”

Since he grew up in Portland, Johnson said it was difficult to leave the program, but he wasn’t alone. Three others Pilots transferred out after last season. Johnson committed to and played for Eric Reveno as a freshman before a coaching change to Terry Porter, the former NBA player and head coach, who took over for Johnson's sophomore season. Johnson wanted to give it a shot under Porter but saw the program taking a different direction.

“A lot of us stayed and he was OK with that," Johnson said. "He didn’t bring anybody new in besides his sons and one other person. After this year, he was heading toward a direction of bringing in his guys and it didn’t fit in with where I wanted to take my game. I had to pick somewhere where I’d be allowed to grow and ultimately help me get to the next level.”

“I’m really competitive,” Johnson said. “I hate losing and considering we had a really bad season, it killed me all season. I want to do anything I can to win and will compete until the game is over. At Nevada, I’m hoping to bring leadership. Obviously I can score the ball. I’m hoping to bring some scoring to the table. Really just bringing a competitive fire, make sure everybody wants to win and bring a hard work ethic and bring everybody along to the gym so we can work and get better.”

* PG Jazz Johnson, jr., 5-10/200: The transfer from Portland is an excellent 3-point shooter, hitting 40.2 percent in his career. He averaged 15.8 points as a sophomore but needs to round out his game.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 am

Can't but agree with Jazz that "it’s a night and day difference" between Reno the city, the university, and the basketball team than Portland.

UN is about four or five times the size of UP, and of the quarter-million people who live in Reno, many are UN grads....so yes, UN athletics is a community thing.

And of course Coach Musselman has brought winning back to the school, going to the NCAA Tournament this year after compiling a 20-6 regular season record.

Good for Jazz! I hope he flourishes at Nevada....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 05, 2017 1:15 am

14 of the 19 players Musselman has brought in are transfers? And one of the five who isn't is an assistant's son?

Wow.

Guy must hate high school kids.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 05, 2017 4:34 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The staff is being very deliberate and conservative in their approach to recruiting, and are only offering a scholarship when all the coaches are in agreement on a recruit.
From what I'm hearing, UP had a high school senior combo guard on campus over the last couple of days, but did not make him an offer.

Hard to say at this point if the staff will continue to pursue another point guard for next year, considering it will be a "building year," or will continue to wait for Shaver's decision, and then depending on that decision, go for a graduate transfer.

On the other hand, Ty Cockfield is still instantly available.... Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 06, 2017 10:50 am

This was written on April 10th:
DoubleDipper wrote:Heard third-hand today that UP has decided not to make a scholarship offer to Usman Haruna.  

No word from Ty Cockfield yet, and it could be up to four weeks or as early as tomorrow before we do.  I will say that from my extremely short time with him on Friday night, he's got the personality to lead this "new" Pilots team....I think the fans will love him.
With known offers from Iona, Jacksonville, North Carolina A&T, South Florida, UNC Charlotte, Duquesne, Stetson, and VCU....Haruna finally committed to East Carolina!

I know we stopped talking about Cockfield some time ago, but he's still unsigned while contemplating known offers from Jacksonville, South Florida, Long Beach, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Michigan, Florida A&M, and UT-Martin.  Seems to me it's getting really late in the game for Ty to find a good landing spot and UP is still looking for the all important "impact player." Even before Shaver makes a decison, wouldn't it make sense for both UP and Ty to consider one another again?

The signing of Cockfield would not only balance out the classes better, it would also give JoJo an experienced mentor to learn from.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon May 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Speaking of late commitments from point guards, Cullen Neal has once again decided to commit to St. Mary's.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon May 08, 2017 5:00 pm

wrv wrote:Speaking of late commitments from point guards, Cullen Neal has once again decided to commit to St. Mary's.
I guess that's one of those "preexisting conditions" we keep hearing about.  Rolling Eyes
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Remember this picture of Roberto Gittens?
2017 Recruiting - Page 24 Gitten10
The picture of the Foss HS (Tacoma) 2017 grad is in the 2017 recruiting thread because UP offered the 4-Star 6-5/180 SG a scholarship last summer, but then he verbally committed to Boise State, but did not sign.

Yesterday Roberto decommitted, reclassified as a 2018 grad, and reopened his recruiting.

Don't know how interested the Pilots are at this point, but seems to me he'd be a good replacement for D'Marques Tyson next year.
Roberto flip-flopped again and did not reclassify for 2018, but is back in the 2017 Recruiting thread because he recently signed his LOI with WSU for the coming season.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 am

StudentPilot wrote:
wrv wrote:Speaking of late commitments from point guards, Cullen Neal has once again decided to commit to St. Mary's.
I guess that's one of those "preexisting conditions" we keep hearing about.  Rolling Eyes
Yeah, this is a preexisting condition in more ways than one.

1. Neal originally committed to SMC before playing for his dad at UNM.
2. This is Neal's second graduate transfer....his first being to Ole Miss after he graduated from UNM after medically redshirting one year.

I look forward to the Pilots beating Neal and the Gaels this coming season, but he will make SMC formidable once again....especially being a 41% shooter beyond the arc and his ability to feed Jock Landale down low.  Some predict SMC will be favored to win the WCC going into next season.

I really wish the best for Neal, who was hounded out of Albuquerque by terrible social media criticism that apparently included death threats....and Mississippi was, well, just a little too far south.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm

No idea if the Pilots are still in on Marcus Shaver or not, but he's visiting Boise today.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 09, 2017 4:43 pm

He should visit Boise in January.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:He should visit Boise in January.
I've made lots of trips to Boise in the winter....not bad, it's usually sunny and you can play golf or go a little way to ski.

And when it does snow in Boise, they actually know how to clear the streets so traffic can keep moving. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next