Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 22 of 32 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 22 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by wrv Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:59 am

SoundVoltex wrote:Was wondering when was this going to happen given the general rarity of Hawaii players in DI basketball, but the local paper just put out an article on Hogland's signing. Even has a small mention of Shaver (as he did play in the islands at one point, and also has an offer from Hawaii)

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/boys-basketball/iolanis-hogland-signs-with-portland/

Shimamoto said Hogland was fortunate to get an offer quickly, since UCSB, another school that offered him a scholarship and a place he was counting on going, decided to go in a different direction with several of its recruits due to the hiring of a brand-new head coach to replace Bob Williams.

“The UCSB guys who were recruiting Hugh and others made some calls to schools to see if they had openings,” Shimamoto said. “That’s how (the Portland contact) originated. Before you knew it, they were calling Hugh for a workout. It happened pretty quickly.

“It must have been pretty tough for Hugh. Even though he didn’t sign with UCSB, Hugh was all set with a solid offer from them. He was going to be playing here against Hawaii in the Big West Conference. Then it fell through two weeks before signing day in April and he was able to pick up an offer right back. Pretty cool. To go from having a scholarship and not having one must have been a roller-coaster of emotions.”

“Beyond his height, which makes a difference in Hawaii, he was also a really good passer and really skilled with hands on post moves,” the coach said. “With his back to the basket, he can turn and score on both sides or pop out 15 feet to make great passes. On defense, he has great timing and blocked shots and had a big impact on that end. It’s almost like he has that old-school big-man skill-set, but he can move and do all those other things, too. I’m not sure what Terry Porter is going to run, but Hugh will come to him with an ability to be used in a lot of different ways.”

“Every year, Hugh got physically better and matured a little bit more,” the coach said. “If he has that kind of growth over the next four years, the sky’s the limit.”

Thanks for the article. Enjoyable read. The fortunes of a D1 program at our level are so dependent on an ability to recruit: and good luck too. Count Hogland mostly in the good luck column. I do not relish someone's firing but the Pilots are direct beneficiaries of the turn over at UCSB and a phone call thereafter.

I read on their board that the coach at UCSB thought he had gotten a steal with Hogland--Hogland's highlight film supports the view. I do not know whether Hugh will redshirt or not. His athleticism suggests he may be able to contribute next year--and as his high school coach indicated--he has gotten physically better and matured each year.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1425
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 am

wrv wrote:I do not know whether Hugh will redshirt or not. His athleticism suggests he may be able to contribute next year--and as his high school coach indicated--he has gotten physically better and matured each year.
I too am a believer.  I earlier speculated he would redshirt based upon his "unknown" status, and the fact the that most unknowns are "projects," but Hugh looks to be the real deal, and actually as accomplished out of high school as highly regarded Tahirou Diabate.  

This video of Tahirou was released just 3 days ago, and is accompanied by these comments:
Brian Kim wrote:Tahirou Diabate standing at 6’10” & 215 pounds is a big time full scholarship recruit for the Division 1 Pilots  this year, where he will be starting  as a true freshmen for  the University of Portland playing for legendary NBA veteran Coach Terry Porter. It is an absolute blessing to be able to work with an absolute stud who is ranked the # 1 player from Japan. He put up amazing statistics by averaging 31 points & 18 rebounds. He had a single game record & career high of 101 points in a victory against Nagaokaotte at the Nagaoka Tournament. He then scored 51 points in the Niigata Tournament Finals against Kaishi Kokusai to qualify for nationals and then erupted for 61 points in a game at the Okinawa Cup.
Diabate grew up in Mali, Africa and then moved to Japan in 2014 for year-round basketball opportunities & to set himself up in the United States. He also speaks 5 languages which are French, Spanish, Japanese, Bambara & English.    

StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:29 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Alberts has gotten his release, but I understand individual institutions, not the WCC, can add restrictions to a release. When one of our better players got his release from UP a few weeks ago he was told he could not transfer to UO, OSU, or PSU....or that's what he told me.
The restrictions to an athlete's release are real.  As reported, Crisshawn Clark will be on campus tomorrow, and his release indicates he cannot go to another ACC institution or to upcoming opponents:
2017 Recruiting - Page 22 Clark_10
If Clark, coming off knee injuries, were to sign with UP he would have to sit one year and would have two years to play. From what I am reading and seeing, Clark, combo guard, would be an excellent addition to the lineup.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11298
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Another transfer (from Oregon) who could help the team immediately in his one year of eligibility is 6-11/230 PF Kavell Bigby-Williams.

From England, he would have fellow Brit Josh McSwiggan to confide in, and together they could talk a language that only Kramer might be able to understand.... Razz
Turns out Kavell and Josh are apparently well acquainted, but he would not be immediately eligible.  Again, that's the beauty of those two extra "Porter scholarships" to offer players like Kavell and Crisshawn. (If UP does sign those two, it's for sure we're all going to have update our spell checkers). Razz

Is it worth it to sign a player who has to sit one year to play just one or two years?  IMO, the answer is YES in the case of both players, as both would add considerable leadership and experience to the team as practice players and mentors during their redshirt year.

UPDATE - Oregonian article: http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/04/kavell_bigby-williams_has_been.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:With all the talk about Shaver and Cockfield and UP's need for another point guard, a name that has not been mentioned is that of Bryan Alberts, who plans to graduate from Gonzaga this summer and will have two years of immediate eligibility left.
Fuhgeddaboudit!

Alberts' release stipulates he cannot transfer to a WCC school.  If he were to transfer within the conference he would have to appeal to the WCC that his school of choice has a graduate school degree that other schools, outside the WCC, do not offer....or something to that effect. Rolling Eyes

For now, it's all-in for Shaver, but there are still some unsigned point guards out their.  JoJo is still the man, but three is the minimum number of point guards UP needs on the roster.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:With all the talk about Shaver and Cockfield
For now, it's all-in for Shaver, but there are still some unsigned point guards out their.  JoJo is still the man, but three is the minimum number of point guards UP needs on the roster.

Do we still know the reasoning behind Cockfield being dropped? Was it more UP-influenced or Cockfield-influenced? Kinda odd how he was at the top of the list one day and the next day he's not even on the list.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 pm

SoundVoltex wrote:Do we still know the reasoning behind Cockfield being dropped? Was it more UP-influenced or Cockfield-influenced? Kinda odd how he was at the top of the list one day and the next day he's not even on the list.
Apparently UP asked he be dropped from Verbal Commits after giving him a deadline to commit....and he didn't!  

There are obviously other factors influencing the decision, or lack of decision, on UP's and Cockfield's part, but UP couldn't continue waiting when their sense was they should expend more energy on Shaver or other point guards before they signed with other schools.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 pm

I heard that Alberts asked to be taken back at GU. From what I was told he saw all the departures and figured he might get more PT.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:00 am

DD wrote: "As we suspected, UP did make Geno West a late offer, but West had been recruited by Idaho for four years prior to his signing there. You've got to respect loyalty from a recruit and the fact he wants to be a Vandal in Moscow!"

An indication that the staff was not locked on one guy but considering options, which is mildly reassuring and I would think continues now despite their offer to Shavers.

If, as reported, the Pilots intend to have at least 3 point guards, can we now identify more than 1 on next year's roster? Pilots might consider taking only one point with an understanding that the combo guard abilities of Malcolm or Taki could suffice in those rare times when needed. I am unaware of the talent level being considered outside Shavers; we are pretty far into the spring signing period: talent levels likely are reduced.

If we intend still to take 2 points, when do we start thinking about limitations on offers/scholarships and perhaps holding some for next year?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 am

wrv wrote:If we intend still to take 2 points, when do we start thinking about limitations on offers/scholarships  and perhaps holding some for next year?
All indications are the Pilots want to sign just one more point guard to join JoJo.  The currently signed combo guards will fill the need for the third point guard if the need arises.

Don't see any scholarships being held for next year.  The team is already at 12 (counting the Porter brothers), and there is every indication the staff wants to sign a point guard, and perhaps a couple of transfers that would have to sit a year using the "Porter Scholarships."   If that is the case, there will be a total of 15 players, at least two of whom will redshirt.

Regarding Geno West: the staff did not consider him to be a point guard, but a combo 2/3.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 am

Do we have information on when our various new recruits will be on campus, and what team building activities the staff will be implementing? With so many new players, there will be a lot of work to do in that area. I wonder who the team leaders will be; which players will set the tone for workouts, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:07 pm

up7587 wrote:Do we have information on when our various new recruits will be on campus, and what team building activities the staff will be implementing?  With so many new players, there will be a lot of work to do in that area.  I wonder who the team leaders will be; which players will set the tone for workouts, etc.
I guess the seniors are usually the designated team leaders, but it will be interesting to see who emerges as the natural leader(s). From my observations it would not surprise me to see Franklin step up as the leader because of his experience and personality...not to mention his better understanding of what the head coach is saying. tongue

The DOBO would have to tell us how many hours the players can spend in the gym under supervision while doing drills before official practice begins, but it's guys like Franklin and Malcolm who can bring the guys together for informal scrimmages during the summer.

The first game of the season cannot be any sooner than November 10th this year, and as official practice can begin 42 days before that, the first official practice will be at the end of September.  Teams are then allowed 30 practices in those 42 days.

The first day of summer school is May 15 this year.  From what I recall hearing, the only players that will not be in school that early are Hugh and JoJo because they will still be in high school....but they will show up in time to begin second summer session on June 26.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 pm

@Ohio_Shawn wrote: Excited to be visiting @PortlandPilots
Seen on campus today:
2017 Recruiting - Page 22 Crissh10
At 6-4/210, he looks like he'd be a great addition if his knees are good....
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Good digging and good posts, StudentPilot, you are obviously cleared to go solo... Laughing
2017 Recruiting - Page 22 Kung_f10
Something else to remember as this "new" Pilots team prepares for the coming season is they can get a head start on building the players' chemistry and cohesiveness by taking an overseas trip this summer.  

There are obviously a number of reasons to take these foreign tours that are allowed every four years, but most coaches like to take them when they have a young team or a big freshman class....which is exactly what UP will have!

Just the practice leading up to the tour would familiarize the players with the system and the staff's expectations, and the tour itself should produce a wonderful bond between the players.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm

On a more earthly note: Gabe Taylor reported to be transferring to California Baptist where he will join Jason Todd to finish his career. He has decided to leave the institution afterall.

Good luck Gabe.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 am

I was asked how Oregon player Kavell Bigby-Williams and Josh McSwiggan know each other...the answer is in this video from almost 4 years ago when both were on the England U-18 team.  It shows about 38 seconds of Josh dunking followed by 2 dunks from Kavell....and then some other dudes, one of whom is only 5-7.

BTW, UO is apparently still talking to Kavell about sticking around in Eugene for his senior season instead of transferring. Hard to say what UP's interest is, but a number of schools are apparently lining up in case he goes...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:24 am

wrv wrote:On a more earthly note: Gabe Taylor reported to be transferring to California Baptist where he will join Jason Todd to finish his career. He has decided to leave the institution afterall.

Good luck Gabe.

So I guess we know how Gabe felt about the whole Todd/Maker situation?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:30 am

blacksheep wrote:So I guess we know how Gabe felt about the whole Todd/Maker situation?
Interestingly, it was just the opposite for Xavier who had an offer from Cal Baptist, but chose to join a squad he much preferred...
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am

Goodman reporting that Clark has signed with us!  

2017 Recruiting - Page 22 Captur11

The text of the tweet from Jeff Goodman is "Pittsburgh transfer Crisshawn Clark has signed with Terry Porter and Portland, source told ESPN"

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 am

Coach Cantu has retweeted this, so I will take that as confirmation.

WELCOME, CHRISSHAWN!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 am

Everything I've seen about this guy says he's a superior talent that's had some terrible luck with injuries. Sure hope he can return to 100% at UP. Awesome to see some good news in this thread!

I like this quote from one of the beat writers for Pitt basketball...
@LLysowski wrote:Good landing spot for Crisshawn Clark. Would have been an impact guard off the bench in 16-17 if he had not suffered yet another injury.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:42 am

So, presumably our team is complete or nearly complete. How do we feel about the upcoming season? I think the team does need to take advantage of whatever opportunities exist to practice and get to know each other (e.g., take the international trip). Right now, I don't have any expectations for the upcoming season given all of the change, but my only hope is we don't embarrass ourselves in the Phil Knight tournament.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 am

Welcome Crisshawn!!!!!!

Trying to get a handle on his eligibility and year status. Is this correct?

14-15: Canada College (Freshman)
15-16: Canada College (Injured - Redshirt)
16-17: Pitt (Injured - Sophomore)
17-18: Portland (Transfer year - Junior)
18-19: Portland (Senior)

This assumes he already used his redshirt year in 15-16, which he must have since Pitt listed him as a sophomore for 16-17.

So does that mean - unless he gets a 6th-year medical hardship waiver (which he seems to qualify for) - he will have to burn his junior year while sitting out 17-18 as a transfer and only have his senior year?

Is there any way he could be eligible next season since he hasn't played a game in two years? Can our compliance team work some magic?  Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am

Stonehouse wrote:Is there any way he could be eligible for next season since he hasn't played a game in two years? Can our compliance team work some magic?  Smile

I have been noodling this myself.  I am wondering if there is a way he is eligible to play for the 2017-18 season... that would be huge, if so.  

Looking back at the Verbal Commits site, when he transferred to Pitt with coach Jamie Dixon, it looks like Oregon, Nevada, SMC, Cal St Fullerton and Loyola (IL) were in the mix.... is it possible that we have a steal here, if he can stay healthy?  A PG with his size could be a real asset...

I love his tweet:
2017 Recruiting - Page 22 Captur12

Last edited by PilotNut on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added image)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
I too did a little digging on Clark.  He is not a 2015 high school grad as stated on Verbal Commits, but is a 2014 grad who spent two years at a JUCO in San Mateo.  

In his first year he was "freshman of the year' in his conference, but then blew out his left knee and did not play his second JUCO year. After signing with Pitt, he played one game and blew out his knee again last November and sat rehabbing the rest of the year....and it's not clear, but somewhere along the line he apparently suffered a third knee injury.

I'm 90% sure he cannot play next year, but will likely have to sit a "rehab year" and will then have two years of eligibility left in his six years of college.

I am not sure of the source of this information but at least DD thought there was a 6th year of eligibility.

Welcome Crisshawn.

Pretty impressive recruiting from Porter and staff.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 32 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27 ... 32  Next