Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 20 of 32 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 20 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But still no word on the two point guards that visited UP and were offered! scratch
Maybe a little bit of word...New Mexico hired Paul Weir from NM State as its new head coach last week. Looks like one of his first orders of business was to get in touch with Marcus Shaver.

@TheLoboLair wrote:UNM coach Paul Weir @paul_weir1 is in Phoenix visiting 2017 Marcus Shaver today. #GoLobos #UNMerciful
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:But still no word on the two point guards that visited UP and were offered! scratch
Maybe a little bit of word...New Mexico hired Paul Weir from NM State as its new head coach last week. Looks like one of his first orders of business was to get in touch with Marcus Shaver.

@TheLoboLair wrote:UNM coach Paul Weir @paul_weir1 is in Phoenix visiting 2017 Marcus Shaver today. #GoLobos #UNMerciful

There is some degree of accomplishment having Shaver choose an official visit, or so I assume it was an official visit, to Portland. I am not sure of which of the programs mentioned have offered, Utah, Colorado, Clemson or New Mexico, but you have to assume at least New Mexico. The level of competition for Shaver's services as a student athlete is almost unrecognizable to Portland fans.

Another assumption, we have a back up plan at the point recruiting wise or we have decided we can manage with Walker and the young Porter if neither Cockfield nor Shaver choose the Pilots.

If the Pilot basketball program was improved on Monday, pray tell Coach Cantu how.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:03 pm

wrv wrote:If the Pilot basketball program was improved on Monday, pray tell Coach Cantu how.
I think we'll find out tomorrow, but I'm going with StudentPilot's assertion that one of the tall high school players that was riding around in the golf cart yesterday will announce his signing with UP.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't write very well)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:If the Pilot basketball program was improved on Monday, pray tell Coach Cantu how.
I think we'll find out tomorrow, but I'm going with StudentPilot's assertion that one of the tall high school players that was riding around in the golf cart yesterday will announce his signing his signing with UP.

I agree with you. Could Student Pilot at least let us know if the guy he saw on the golf cart had a haircut like Kramer. . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:50 pm

@VerbalCommits wrote:   2017 'Iolani (HI) F Hugh Hogland has committed to Portland  
Hugh is NOT the one with the "Kramer haircut." Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Sounded like Hawaii had an eye on him (no surprise) and was still in contact with him a few days ago. Would be interesting to hear his reasons for picking Portland in the end.

Are you certain that Hugh Hogland signed with Portland? The Portland site does not yet mention the signing of Hogland but yesterday did announce the signing of a JC kid from Casper College. Also, I spoke with Adam Jacobsen (Hawaii assistant coach) about this reported signing, and he was completely surprised to hear it. In fact, Jacobsen said that just yesterday Hugh and one of his coaches called him and asked if it would be okay (not in violation of any NCAA rules and okay with the UH coaches and players) if Hugh came to play in unsupervised open gym runs with the UH team members in order to help him explore the possibility of coming to UH next fall. So ????

http://www.scout.com/college/hawaii/forums/1136-wsn-ohana/15517803-two-bball-recruits-visiting?s=219&page=3
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Bouncy face-up defender with good footwork....

Apparently the coaches liked him right away.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 3h3 hours ago
More
Pitt transfer Crishawn Clark tells me he will visit Portland on April 24th and Cal Poly in early May.

Crisshawn is a 6'4" guard variously described as both a shooting and a point guard.

Plan C?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Bouncy face-up defender with good footwork....

Apparently the coaches liked him right away.

Great news. A force on the defensive side. Hugh may well contribute meaningfully to the Pilot defense. Surely will intimidate and block a number of shots. He appears adept close to the basket but there are no jump shots in this highlight clip. Puts his dominant left hand to good use.  

Just based on the film clips, our recruits appear athletic, perhaps more so than their predecessors.

Go Pilots. Welcome Hugh.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 pm

wrv wrote:Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein  3h3 hours ago
More
Pitt transfer Crishawn Clark tells me he will visit Portland on April 24th and Cal Poly in early May.

Crisshawn is a 6'4" guard variously described as both a shooting and a point guard.

Plan C?
It looks like Clark was a sophomore this past season, but missed the entire year with a knee injury. So does that make him an incoming sophomore at whatever school he ends up at? And would he still need to sit out a year, even though he didn't play this year?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:It looks like Clark was a sophomore this past season, but missed the entire year with a knee injury. So does that make him an incoming sophomore at whatever school he ends up at? And would he still need to sit out a year, even though he didn't play this year?

Good find, wrv!

Looks like Clark not only missed last season at Pitt to a knee injury, but also the entire 2015-16 season at Canada College so he's had a tough run of luck. Very interesting transfer. NoPo, I would have the same question about his years remaining but it would seem like he could very well be eligible right away (if healthy) and be a sophomore? Anyone know for sure?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Yes, excellent digging, wrv....

I too did a little digging on Clark.  He is not a 2015 high school grad as stated on Verbal Commits, but is a 2014 grad who spent two years at a JUCO in San Mateo.  

In his first year he was "freshman of the year' in his conference, but then blew out his left knee and did not play his second JUCO year. After signing with Pitt, he played one game and blew out his knee again last November and sat rehabbing the rest of the year....and it's not clear, but somewhere along the line he apparently suffered a third knee injury.

I'm 90% sure he cannot play next year, but will likely have to sit a "rehab year" and will then have two years of eligibility left in his six years of college.

Highly recruited as a JUCO, he chose Pitt over Oregon and a number of others schools.

Already 22 years-old, Clark would just turn 24 when the 2018-19 WCC begins, and could certainly lend some senior leadership to the team. Rolling Eyes  Oh, and he's a shooting guard, but if UP were to take a chance on him, it could let other high major transfers know they'd have an opportunity for great coaching in Portland.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Back to UP recruit Hugh Hogland.

It's pretty obvious to me the coaches were looking for some bouncy athleticism in a 4/5 guy....and a guy who could play defense.

Just watching the tapes of Aimaq and Haruna, it was apparent they were slow afoot, and defense was something a bit alien to them.

Hogland, and his younger brother, are pretty well known as volleyball players in Hawaii, and his leaping and timing seem to have been developed playing that game.  

IMO he'll likely redshirt while developing his game and body, but I really like this "under the radar" choice.  Instead of choosing two BIG guys, UP chose an athletic guy with tons of upside potential.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

Back on Hogland, some praise from a competing coach dolled out about his play, supports descriptions of Hugh above:

"The way Hogland changed the game for his team this year was unmatched,” said Ryan Hirata, head coach at Mid-Pacific Institute. “He really stepped up in the state tournament when they needed him most. He altered shots and created havoc on the defensive end, while scoring at will on the low block and setting up his teammates on the offensive end. He was a force.”

The basketball fans in Iowa may be envious of our signing . . .on (the spelling of his) name alone.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 am

I believe today is the day Ty Cockfield set as his self imposed deadline to make a decision....we'll just have to wait and see.

Twelve spots filled, but UP still needs a point guard!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 am

2017 Recruiting - Page 20 Waitin10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

No real news, but LBSU was one of the schools that had offered Ty Cockfield earlier this month.

@JucoRecruiting wrote:Deishaun Booker (6'4, PG, 2017) of Southern Idaho has committed to Long Beach State
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 am

No official word yet from UP on Hogland, but knowing the great family/community culture in Hawaii, I would guess there's to be a signing ceremony at his high school today.

SoundVoltex should be able to run over to Iolani School on Kamoku St right in the heart of Honolulu and take some pictures and greet him with "aloha oe."

From Hugh's recruiting profile:  Cool  
I am a humble basketball player who loves to take on challenges and strive to overcome them.  I'm also a top tier volleyball player who has played for the USA volleyball program.  Volleyball and basketball are both dear to me and the experiences I have learned from the two sports makes me a a good candidate for any team.  I have the skills to score, but I choose to play team basketball, as an assist is better than a bucket in my head.  My parents have raised me to be kind and caring as well, and I give them all the credit for the young man I plan to be, and hopefully my collegiate athletic career will make them proud.  I stay away from trouble, and my grades are above average.  So if you still consider me as a candidate for your 2017 squad, please contact me.  Sorry for all the "I"s.  

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:10 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:No official word yet from UP on Hogland, but knowing the great family/community culture in Hawaii, I would guess there's to be a signing ceremony at his high school today.

SoundVoltex should be able to run over to Waimanlo, it's on the other side of the island from Honolulu, and take some pictures and greet him with "aloha oe."

From Hugh's recruiting profile:  Cool  
I am a humble basketball player who loves to take on challenges and strive to overcome them.  I'm also a top tier volleyball player who has played for the USA volleyball program.  Volleyball and basketball are both dear to me and the experiences I have learned from the two sports makes me a a good candidate for any team.  I have the skills to score, but I choose to play team basketball, as an assist is better than a bucket in my head.  My parents have raised me to be kind and caring as well, and I give them all the credit for the young man I plan to be, and hopefully my collegiate athletic career will make them proud.  I stay away from trouble, and my grades are above average.  So if you still consider me as a candidate for your 2017 squad, please contact me.  Sorry for all the "I"s.  

There is much to like about his written statement, but the "[s]orry for all the "I"s", at the end of a statement that is not boastful in the least, pretty much grabs me. This is a young man who appears to live by the motto of staying humble, notwithstanding some exceptional athletic abilities.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 pm

@VerbalCommits wrote:2017 Shadow Mountain (AZ) G Marcus Shaver, Jr. has received an offer from UIC.  
@VerbalCommits wrote: Eastern Michigan offered 2017 Shadow Mountain (AZ) G Marcus Shaver, Jr.  
I guess there was no way to keep him a secret....

Counting Illinois-Chicago and Eastern Michigan, that is at least five offers in the last three weeks for Marcus.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:No official word yet from UP on Hogland, but knowing the great family/community culture in Hawaii, I would guess there's to be a signing ceremony at his high school today.
I guess they had the ceremony (you'll notice UP now has him listed at 6-9/235...15lbs heavier than his recruiting profile...)

Men’s Basketball Signs Athletic Post Hugh Hogland to NLI
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 pm

15ibs added or not Hugh looks to be more of a player than his level of recruiting. I am mildly surprised that no one but us is reported to have offered. The U website suggests:

"His focus on volleyball limited his exposure in basketball recruiting as he did not participate much in the AAU basketball circuit."

Hmmn.

I hope he comes in and plays stellar defense. I am not sure how many bigs at the U were/are more athletic than Hugh, but I do not think many.

Jon Rothstein appears to have a source lurking around the program. Can't tell whether he is suggesting Hogland had an offer from UCSB or not:

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 1h1 hour ago
More
2017 big man Hugh Hogland has committed to Portland, per a source. Originally committed to UCSB.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:03 pm

wrv wrote:Jon Rothstein appears to have a source lurking around the program. Can't tell whether he is suggesting Hogland had an offer from UCSB or not:

2017 big man Hugh Hogland has committed to Portland, per a source. Originally committed to UCSB.
I mentioned it in my initial post about Hogland, but it's repeated here by Nick Daschel:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/04/hawaii_post_hugh_hogland_becom.html

The disturbing news from this article is the omission of Rashad Jackson from the very short list (3) of returning players from last season's roster...

This is where I got my UCSB info: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/boys-basketball/hogland-stoked-about-ucsb-opportunity/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:Jon Rothstein appears to have a source lurking around the program. Can't tell whether he is suggesting Hogland had an offer from UCSB or not:

I mentioned it in my initial post about Hogland, but it's repeated here by Nick Daschel:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/04/hawaii_post_hugh_hogland_becom.html

The disturbing news from this article is the omission of Rashad Jackson from the very short list (3) of returning players from last season's roster...

This is where I got my UCSB info: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/boys-basketball/hogland-stoked-about-ucsb-opportunity/

This is Daschel's summation of what Porter is doing with the roster. It is in the comment section of the article:

Nick Daschel | The Oregonian/OregonLive 26 minutes ago
@rdm2 Mostly cleaning house and trying to find those leaving other places to play. Wasn't going to win with the players currently on the roster.

I am not sure exactly how this recruiting class compares to some of the good recruiting classes of the past, only that it is a very good recruiting class relative to the classes we generally bring in.

Another scholarship open, apparently.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to ask either Daschel (or Jackson if you run into him next time) for clarification. He does mention X, don't see why he wouldn't mention Jackson. With so many leaving, he could've just lost track. *shrug*
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 32 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26 ... 32  Next