Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 5 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:12 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Coach Porter has gone back to his original hometown to test his recruiting prowess against the Big 5 schools we so often hear about.....  
Mark Miller WisBBY Yearbook wrote:  University of Portland coach Terry Porter offered a scholarship today to 2017 WG Terrence Lewis (6-6) of Milw. Riverside.

Could get interesting....Coach Reveno is also recruiting him to Georgia Tech.
Well, that didn't take long (two weeks).  Today Lewis trimmed his list from 19 schools to 4....neither UP nor Georgia Tech made the cut.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:54 am

So apparently we're bringing in a prep point guard as part of the 2016 recruiting class. That must mean that Kendall Small is not considering UP.

Implications for 2017 recruiting? These are our anticipated '17-'18 scholarships:

seniors (3): Tyson, Taylor, Hartwich
juniors (2): Johnson, Jackson
sophomores (1-2): Maker, F. Porter*
soph/frosh** (4): Smoyer, M. Porter, Monson, Ferguson
freshmen (?):

*Will F. Porter be on scholarship in '17-'18, or remain a walk-on?
**How many of these guys will redshirt?

We have 2 or 3 scholarships to fill for the 2017 recruiting class. Of the players listed above, the roster consists of:

2 PGs (Johnson, Ferguson)
5 SGs (Tyson, Jackson, Porter, Porter, Monson)
1 Wing (Maker)
1 PF (Taylor)
2 Cs (Hartwich, Smoyer)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:11 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:We have 2 or 3 scholarships to fill for the 2017 recruiting class. Of the players listed above, the roster consists of:
2 PGs (Johnson, Ferguson)
5 SGs (Tyson, Jackson, Porter, Porter, Monson)
1 Wing (Maker)
1 PF (Taylor)
2 Cs (Hartwich, Smoyer)
UP will/should have three scholarships to offer for the 2017-18 season as it is expected that Franklin Porter will continue as a walk-on while at UP.

In the eyes of many coaches, a college team should ideally have 3 point guards, 5 wings, and 5 post players on scholarship....the point guards being the most important, and the post players probably being of lesser importance, especially in the WCC style of play.  

For simplicity, let's consider small forwards and shooting guards wings, and power forwards and centers as posts.

Next year (2017-2018), before any recruits come in, UP will have the following scholarships filled:
2 point guards (Johnson and Ferguson) (plus walk-on Hallinan)
5 wings (Tyson, Maker, Jackson, Monson, M. Porter) (plus walk-on F. Porter)
3 posts (Hartwich, Taylor, Smoyer)

What is the need for 2017 recruiting?  Based upon the 3/5/5 formula, another point guard and two post players!

However, IMO the staff should go after the best available players that are also the best fit for the team's style of play....1 top notch point guard, 1 very athletic wing who can also play tough as a power forward (post), and 1 big guy.....probably a transfer or JUCO guy.

What do the rest of you think?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Josh Gershon wrote:  Portland has offered 2017 Earl Watson Elite PG Marcus Shaver.
Apparently Marcus has chosen UC Santa Barbara....excellent choice, IMO!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:05 pm

This probably doesn't help SouthCarolinaPilot's chances of seeing a Pilots game for awhile, but there is an unconfirmed report that UP is recruiting Malik Dunbar, a SF (6-6/220) originally from Columbia, SC, but now attending College of Central Florida....a two year Community College.

Dunbar's name just popped-up showing recruitment from both PSU and UP.  The other five schools that have reportedly offered him are all in the south or southeast.

Malik's high school, Spring Valley in North Augusta, SC is a 4-star school (out of 5), and he was a SC first team selection his senior year in 2015.
2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Dunbar10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:41 am

Perhaps the temperate weather and lack of humidity would incentivize him to leave the Southeast. I'm melting here in "Famously Hot Columbia."

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 pm

So.. For immediate recruits.... I lost track.

Are there two Florida kids, a PG and a PF? 
( Dunbar may be one of those) 

There should be.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Lots of competition for this Kolby Lee. I see Utah State, Toledo, Kent State, and Boise State all have offered him as well.

As you can imagine by the schools that are after him, he's not exactly an under-the-radar type - a FOUR star recruit according to ESPN.
Kolby Lee, from Idaho, has decided BYU is where he want's to matriculate....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Verbal Commits is reporting that UP has offered 6-1 PG Johanns 'JoJo' Walker from Puerto Rico, but now living in Santa Maria, CA and attending St. Joseph High School.

I know very little about Walker, except that he plays on an excellent high school team and is a first team all-state player.

2017 Recruiting - Page 5 12510410
Two hours ago Jojo posted this on his Twitter account:
Jojo Walker (@Jojo Walker (@jojowalker23) wrote: 2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Cq6a6o10  
Saw this young man and his parents at last night's soccer games, and considering the great atmosphere created by the student section, it's no wonder that Jojo has decided to sign a LOI with UP in November.....

He even posted a picture of himself in a Pilot uniform (wearing Alec Wintering's #2):
2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Cq6vwb10

I believe the reason the UP staff did not pursue Kendall Small is because they were going after Andre Ferguson for this year and Jojo Walker for next year.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Now that appears to be a recruiting bonanza for Portland. More about JOJO, including a pretty gaudy scoring average:

JoJo Walker, a junior at St. Joseph High School, didn’t know if he’d ever play basketball again after breaking his leg two years ago during his freshman season.

“I thought I was done,” Walker told the Sun. “I was thinking, ‘I’m not going be the same. Everything’s going to change now.’”

Walker took solace in watching NBA games on the hospital TV during recovery, and in the process became inspired to do whatever it took to bounce back and excel on the court again.

“I just realized that what I had to do was work harder than I used to work—work harder and get back in the game,” he said. “That was kind of my motivation to get back on the court.”

Fast forward two years, and Walker has more than achieved his dream of returning to basketball. Walker was named to All-PAC 8, All-CIF, and All-State teams following his sophomore season last winter.

That’s a feat he’s likely to repeat soon when the 2016 awards are handed out. As starting point guard this season, Walker has exploded for averages of 18.5 points and 5.3 assists per game on a Knights team that’s wrapping up a fairy-tale 28-3 season.

He recently led St. Joe’s to a CIF playoff rout over Chadwick High School where the team scored an unfathomable 105 points.

“We were just running [fast breaks] a lot,” Walker said. “That’s the key for us. If we run, we’re gonna win.”

St. Joe’s did just that again versus Woodcrest Christian on Feb. 26 to advance to the CIF Division 5AA championship game on March 4.

Walker’s raw talent, athleticism, and scoring ability is undeniable, but St. Joe’s head coach Tom Mott told the Sun that Walker’s biggest improvement has been in leadership and learning how to be a passing point guard—not just a scorer.

“He’s started to see the big picture more,” Mott said. “He’s realized what our best scoring options are and making sure others guys are getting the ball too. He can score 12 or 30 points, but for him it’s just about getting the win.”

When that statement was relayed to Walker, he agreed with his coach resoundingly.

“I used to be a little selfish,” Walker admitted. “If my teammate is open, it makes me a better player if I give it to him because he’s more open than I am.”

Walker, who’s been bouncing a basketball since he was 4 years old, claims to not be thinking about college basketball and beyond. He’s focused on bringing his best to every St. Joe’s game.

“I’m going slow and taking it step by step,” Walker said.

It does not appear that Jojo is 6’1” as suggested, but then we have had some success with point guards not quite 6’1”.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:25 am

DoubleDipper wrote:In the eyes of many coaches, a college team should ideally have 3 point guards, 5 wings, and 5 post players on scholarship....the point guards being the most important, and the post players probably being of lesser importance, especially in the WCC style of play.  

For simplicity, let's consider small forwards and shooting guards wings, and power forwards and centers as posts.

Next year (2017-2018), before any recruits come in, UP will have the following scholarships filled:
2 point guards (Johnson and Ferguson) (plus walk-on Hallinan)

What is the need for 2017 recruiting?  Based upon the 3/5/5 formula, another point guard and two post players!
UPDATED:
3 point guards (Johnson, Ferguson, Walker) (plus walk-on Hallinan)

The coaches must be going after a couple of big guys now!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:54 pm

Jojo comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-B2BNaf6A

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Empty Bienvenidos a Portland JoJo Walker

Post by The Wingman Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:51 pm

WRV, thank you for posting the interview of our newest recruit JoJo Walker. I'm reminded of how young these recruits are when watching him. However, I was impressed with his maturity and humility when answering the questions. I think he's going to do very well under Coach Porter. JoJo's success at the high school level is very encouraging. His desire to make to make his teammates better and his abilities to shoot and finish at the hoop are also very encouraging. Between Alec, Jazz, Andre and JoJo, I think Coach Porter is going to have a series of successful point guards. The recruiting is already on an upswing. It'll be a transition year, but no one can question the upgrade in talent we're seeing this coaching staff recruit to the Bluff.

The Wingman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 pm

From Twitter:
Chris Vogt ‏@ChrisvVogt  · 1h1 hour ago  

Blessed to receive an offer from the University of Portland.

Retweeted by Coach Porter.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:53 pm

up7587 wrote:From Twitter:

A long shot for the Pilots, perhaps, as Vogt has more than once voiced his desire to matriculate relatively close to his Kentucky home so his friends and family can watch him play.  Of Vogt's 15 known offers, Portland is by far the school furthest from his home.

Apparently Coach Cantu visited Vogt and his family in Mayfield this weekend, and if all went well the 7-1/220 center and his family will be in Portland this coming weekend on an official visit.  

Coach Cantu and Coach Porter are 2 for 2 in getting commits from their only official visits so far, but as UP is over 2200 miles from "family and friends," getting young Mr. Vogt's signature in November would be quite an achievement.

2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Thh6ui10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

up7587 wrote:From Twitter:

Retweeted by Coach Porter.

Hmmmm. Unless the rules have changed, I believe that is a violation. (It being retweeted, that is.)

As far as I know, until a prospective student-athlete signs an LOI, there has to be radio silence from the university and all staff members.

Hopefully I'm wrong on that! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Your hopes are fufilled Stoney.

New rule: 2015-48 ( August 1)

NCAA wrote:An athletics department staff member may take actions (e.g., "like," "favorite," republish, "tag," etc.) on social media platforms that indicate approval of content on social media platforms that was generated by users of the platforms other than institutional staff members or representatives of an institution's athletics interests.

Now, if he retweeted a post of a pilotnation member, that would be something else...

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Ah ha! Well I'm very happy to be corrected on that matter. I actually did some Googling this time (imagine that - doing research before posting!), and apparently this new rule went into effect just a few weeks ago on August 1.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that the NCAA actually made a common-sense rule change regarding social media.  Rolling Eyes
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:48 pm

The best part of that rule is the 'etc'.

Anything goes, I guess.

Next thing you know, Beluga  Sturgeon caviar will be a bagel topping.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Well heck...all these offers for Chris Vogt, if he's using one of his five official visits at UP that's got to be a good sign. ESPN has him as a 3* guy with a 79 rating (80 is the start of 4* ratings) for whatever that's worth.

Also, is this guy ambidextrous? Almost everything is with his left hand, and then at 1:40 of this highlight reel he takes a right-handed jumper from the top of the key with no one around him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhzaNUBmlRE
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:55 pm

That video is Knutson-esque!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Still attempting to find a good recruit near SouthCarolinaPilot's home, the Pilots have offered Lower Richland High School SG Clyde Trapp, Jr.

Young Mr. Trapp has offers from at least 20 schools, including Georgia Tech, Georgia, Kansas St., and South Florida....
Verbal Commits wrote: 2017 Lower Richland (SC) G Clyde Trapp, Jr. has received an offer from Portland. @CTR4PP http://verbalcommits.com/players/clyde-trapp-jr
Phenom Hoops Report wrote: ‏6'4 2017 Clyde Trapp of Lower Richland (SC) tells us he's now been offered by VCU & Portland  
2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Csapyz10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Phenom Hoops Report wrote: ‏6'4 2017 Clyde Trapp of Lower Richland (SC) tells us he's now been offered by VCU & Portland  

Four foot six seems a little short. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Are we gonna call him Mugsy?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:22 am

Hmm, not the JUCO student-athlete I was expecting the Pilots to offer, but,
Brad Winton @JUCO Recruiting wrote: Portland has offered 2017 East LA College SF, Roderick Williams  
Williams spent a redshirt year at D2 Cal St. Dominguez Hills before transferring.

Obviously a qualifier out of high school, Williams will have 3 years of eligibility when he gets to a D1 school.

A 6-6 combo guard/forward, Williams averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds per game at Price High School in LA, earning him a 3-star rating by ESPN and the distinction of being regarded by ESPN as the 19th-best player in California's 2015 class.  ESPN describes him as "a long-armed wing-type who affects the game in multiple ways" and well as a "terror in transition where he can explode for a variety of high-wire finishes," also adding that Williams "explodes over would-be defenders utilizing his elusiveness and explosiveness" and is someone who "can snatch rebounds, lead the break and attack the rim."
2017 Recruiting - Page 5 Image_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next