Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure

+2
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
6 posters

Go down

Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure Empty Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 am

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.
I think the message is clear....don't worry about the ignorance of others....be yourself!!

The SI article is here: Jason Collins
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure Empty Re: Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 am

I am glad Jason has done this; hopefully he will be an example for all other gay athletes to follow! I am happy to see the amount of support he has received, as well.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure Empty Re: Finally! The First of Many, I'm Sure

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am

Have to hold out hope that it won’t be too much longer before being a gay athlete is NOT news, and there will be no reason to “come out” because everyone will say, “Who cares!”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm

That'll be a while
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Some may find the writer’s views polarizing, and many may not agree with his broader views, but I believe his message rings loud and clear:
I have known Jason Collins since he was Chelsea's classmate and friend at Stanford. Jason's announcement today is an important moment for professional sports and in the history of the LGBT community. It is also the straightforward statement of a good man who wants no more than what so many of us seek: to be able to be who we are; to do our work; to build families and to contribute to our communities. For so many members of the LGBT community, these simple goals remain elusive. I hope that everyone, particularly Jason's colleagues in the NBA, the media and his many fans extend to him their support and the respect he has earned.

President Bill Clinton
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Only one year after he signed DOMA. I'm sure he had a change of heart.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Collins High School Pic

I forgot to post this yesterday. Saw Coach Wolf put this on Twitter...those are the Collins twins (Jason blue arrowed on right) with HIMYM actor Jason Segel of all people blue arrowed on the left.

And who's that below Segel? None other than Coach Wolf, of course.

Absolutely hilarious picture.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 am

Coach Wolf knows Dr. Dunk?!?!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 26, 2013 11:29 am

From Yahoo sports:
CARSON, Calif. – Is Major League Soccer really ready for a gay player?

It better be, because Robbie Rogers, who has returned to the game after announcing his retirement three months ago and revealing that he is gay, might make his LA Galaxy debut on Sunday night against the Seattle Sounders (11 pm ET, ESPN2, live chat on MLSsoccer.com) and, in doing so, bust open a sizable barrier in American sport.

Rogers, 26, is an icon and role model for LGBT youth and a rallying point for the gay community in Los Angeles and around the country, but he's also a lightning rod for homophobic outbursts – and not just from fans in the seats who might get carried away.

Things are said in the heat of the moment on the field, as San Jose's Alan Gordon can attest: He picked up a three-game suspension earlier this year for directing a homophobic slur at Portland's Will Johnson. Several players have served that sentence, including Rogers' new teammate, Colin Clark, for an incident last year when he was with Houston.

Those aren't bigoted attacks, and Rogers, who signed with LA this weekend after his rights were acquired from the Chicago Fire, expects everything is going to be just fine.

“I think there's something unique about the MLS,” Rogers, who also has played in the Netherlands and England, said after the Galaxy introduced him at a Home Depot Center news conference on Saturday. “I think the locker rooms in MLS are a little bit different from what I've experienced in Europe. That's not to say that in England or Europe that they're ready or not ready – I'm not sure. ...

“The MLS is definitely ready. And I think the United States is ready for more athletes to come out in other sports, whether that be the NBA, obviously, or the NFL, and I'm hoping from this experience and from the experience of others, more athletes will feel comfortable with doing so.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun May 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Rogers comes on in the 77th minute to a large cheer from the crowd.

The best part is the Sounders are losing 0:4 and at this point are just waiting for it to end.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 26, 2013 11:21 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Rogers comes on in the 77th minute to a large cheer from the crowd.

The best part is the Sounders are losing 0:4 and at this point are just waiting for it to end.
Here it is:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Jallen Messersmith, a 20-year-old junior forward at NAIA Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas has taken the step to become the first (it's believed) active male college basketball player in this era to announce he is gay.

Here's a sampling from Outsport.com's piece on how, when and why Messersmith opted to go public.
He was raised a Mormon. He was bullied so badly in pre-adolescence that he was home-schooled....

A 6-8, 215-pound openly gay Mormon basketball player at a Catholic school in Middle America Kansas seems an anomaly. Messersmith, though, fits in perfectly with his teammates and was embraced after he came out last fall, first to his coaches and then over time to his teammates....

When I came out, there was nobody in my sport I could" relate to, Messersmith said about why he agreed to share his story. "I always wanted to put it out there and I had a great experience with it and I wanted to show people it could be fine....

I'm definitely happy and content where I am right now. It's awesome that I have the team support I do. It's awesome that no one has said anything [negative] and I haven't had anything change. I just feel really comfortable and it's really nice."
http://www.outsports.com/2013/5/28/4352892/jallen-messersmith-gay-college-basketball-player-benedictine-college-kansas
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:49 pm

I was glad to see someone say what many are thinking:

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I am sooo glad to see this newscaster do this... he does a tremendous job of discussing the hypocracy of the situation.

I applaud the several recent college athlete's decisions to go public, in hopes that they will save emotional distress, pain & heartache for other gay athletes (and non-athletes) who struggle with the decision to come out.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 pm

A vey good editorial!
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Missouri fans welcome the football team and the Cotton Bowl Championship trophy, but they also welcome Michel Sam.
Even in Missouri the younger generation just seems to get it……
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 pm

OK, it's only for 10 days (for now), but it's a start......Jason Collins signs contract with Brooklyn Nets

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/02/23/nba-jason-collins-brooklyn-nets-glen-davis-los-angeles-clippers/5756793/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 pm

From ESPN tonight:
Finally playing at home more than a week after returning to the NBA as the league's first openly gay player, (Jason) Collins checked in to a standing ovation from a sellout crowd of 17,732 that included former NBA commissioner David Stern with 2:41 remaining. He grabbed a rebound and had one of the Nets' NBA season high-tying 19 steals in their third straight victory.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:43 am

That has to be encouraging for him, let's hope he plays well enough to earn a regular spot on the team.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 pm

A_Fan wrote:That has to be encouraging for him, let's hope he plays well enough to earn a regular spot on the team.
Well, the Nets signed him for 10 more days today.

NBA teams can sign players to no more than two 10-day contracts, and then have to sign them for the rest of the season if they want to keep them.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:26 am

A_Fan wrote:That has to be encouraging for him, let's hope he plays well enough to earn a regular spot on the team.
Nets officially sign Jason Collins for remainder of season......

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140315/nets-sign-jason-collins-remainder-of-season.ap/#ixzz2w37MFDVN
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:48 am

Good for them and for Jason!
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 10, 2014 8:15 pm

The St. Louis Rams draft Missouri DE Michael Sam with 249th pick.

It's too bad Michael and his Rams teammates won't be able to just go about the business of football without continuous scrutiny from the media.....maybe one day!!  Cool

Congratulations to Michael and the Rams.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 pm

"One act of courage produces another," and "Yo, Burns, we rockin’ with you".....
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/10/07/chris-burns-bryant-university-gay-division-i-assistant-coach/73361878/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down