Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. USF Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSNNW

+8
PilotNut
oh brody
PurplePrideTrumpet
VillaGorilla
NoPoNeighbor
blacksheep
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pilots vs. USF Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSNNW - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots vs. USF Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSNNW

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 am

It was great to see Nicholas back in scoring form, but our Centers were a combined 3-8 from the field, with only 2 FT's, for a combined 8 points. Yes, we shot 51% overall, but we allowed 53%. It was disappointing to not be able to capitalize on USF's severe foul trouble, but they did a great job of managing that.

Per Rev's pre-game tweet:
... In addition to continuing to play strong defense, we need to rebound, convert in transition and take care of the ball.
Strong defense: It was okay, particularly in the first half. Rebounding: We won the battle, out rebounding them 28-17. Convert in transition: I do not think we succeeded here. Take care of the ball: 16 Turnovers--way too many to overcome.

DeanMurdoch wrote:How I wish the Pilots weren't in a position for us to have to find positives in a home loss to USF.
Agreed. There were some positives in the game (Nicholas), but the end result is the disappointment. We did not win at home against a conference opponent coming in with a 1-5 record. I don't know how we can be satisfied with that, particularly when this was a "must win" game if we wanted to be in the middle of the conference standings... instead, we are back down in the basement. At least LMU is there to keep us company.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. USF Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSNNW - Page 2 Empty Re: Pilots vs. USF Thursday @ 7pm - TV on CSNNW

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 am

Didn’t get much sleep last night…..can you imagine how the team and staff felt?

I won’t rehash the game (already done) except to say it was a heck of a lot better performance than we saw last Saturday against St. Mary’s (by both teams).

The one over reactive referee’s call that kept me awake….Ryan being called for “excessive celebration” for his loud yell after a hotly contested put-back….a game changer in many ways.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 am

PilotNut wrote:It was great to see Nicholas back in scoring form, but our Centers were a combined 3-8 from the field, with only 2 FT's, for a combined 8 points.

I know I said I wasn't gong to comment on the game, but I just can't help it.

Our bigs are never going to have great scoring nights when the are constantly triple teamed. The defense just collapses on on our bigs and dares anyone to shoot the ball. I know Tanner is really struggling, but I think it's time to put him in so at least someone will keep the D honest. If we continue to be unwilling to shoot open looks, the bigs will never be successful. It's a TEAM game!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Didn’t get much sleep last night…..can you imagine how the team and staff felt?

I won’t rehash the game (already done) except to say it was a heck of a lot better performance than we saw last Saturday against St. Mary’s (by both teams).

The one over reactive referee’s call that kept me awake….Ryan being called for “excessive celebration” for his loud yell after a hotly contested put-back….a game changer in many ways.

It is no secret how the fans around the conference feel about the reffing in the WCC. Honestly for the most part it is a joke with few exceptions. The ref that called a T on Ryan for excessive celebration is consistently bad when UP gets him on their home floor. He is the same guy that called Ryan for over the back when he tipped out the ball on an offensive rebound promptly sending USF's 5'8 PG to the line. I for one cringe when I see him take the floor.

As cruel as the last second 3 was to UP I was pleased to see some improved play, not necessarily by any one player but from the team. What I liked most was their willingness to speed up the tempo which hasnt been much of a factor this year. Yes it resulted in some TO's but those will decline if they continue to push some tempo.

Derrick played well especially while nursing a hamstring pull. He took it strong to the basket and did a nice job on Doolin.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 pm

oldtimer wrote:It is no secret how the fans around the conference feel about the reffing in the WCC. Honestly for the most part it is a joke with few exceptions.
And it's not just the reffing at the men's games....it's 100 times worse on the women's side.

I honestly think the game has gotten too fast for them....although I never have a problem seeing every violation and 3 second call....just ask those who sit near me. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:24 pm

I know this is nothing new, but the student section was atrocious last night. A few dozen folks sitting on their hands (or playing/studying on laptops!). There was not one single moment, not ONE, when the student section (or the rest of the crowd, for that matter) came to the aid of the team and helped out at a key juncture. That includes the last minute of the game, with the score tied.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm

I guess it’s all relative:
Just 6,946 fans turned out for the Ducks' 68-61 victory over Washington State on Wednesday night. That's borderline pathetic.
…..and the Ducks are #16 in the nation and on the rise.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/01/oregon_ducks_rundown_no_16_duc.html

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I guess it’s all relative:
Just 6,946 fans turned out for the Ducks' 68-61 victory over Washington State on Wednesday night. That's borderline pathetic.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/01/oregon_ducks_rundown_no_16_duc.html

Well, yeah, who'd want to go see the Ducks at that dumpy old gym they pla . . . huh, what? Nevermind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I guess it’s all relative:

Well, yeah, who'd want to go see the Ducks at that dumpy old gym they pla . . . huh, what? Nevermind.

Interesting that nowhere in that article was a discussion of ticket prices or that the students don't have courside seats anymore.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Didn’t get much sleep last night…..can you imagine how the team and staff felt?
DERRICK:
Lights turned out on me in the locker room... Haven't moved from this spot. Maybe it's time to get up? Man, losing hurts every single time.

All about toughness right now. Gotta bounce back harder for Saturday.

Losing sleep over this one tonight.
RYAN:
I didn't know what to do to make me feel better so I jumped in the icebath. Didnt help but we gotta recover to be ready for Saturday.
OSKARS:
This one really got to my head.. Sorry to everyone trying to text or reach me that didn't get a reply.
KEVIN:
I’m not supposed to be sleep right now I guess.
COACH PFAFF:
Everyone has suffered a tough loss. If you care, it hurts. Grateful it's not a loss that ends season & excited more opportunity is ahead.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2