Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 9 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by KTodd Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:37 am

Yes, confirmed.  Good meeting with Coach.

Tune in to College GameDay this morning, Jason and his sister are there - 4:30 AM wake up call.  Prepping for those UP early practices.

KTodd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am

KTodd wrote:Tune in to College GameDay this morning, Jason and his sister are there - 4:30 AM wake up call.  
Kids!!

Wouldn't it be nice if they bounded out of bed so easily to go to school......Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

With offers from virtually every college, including UP, 7 foot center Thomas Welch was spotted at UCLA this past weekend on an "unofficial" visit.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm

A reminder from the compliance office to coaches:  
30 days to signing day! Even though you've got solid verbal commitments public comments and publicity about recruits is still prohibited.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am

DD, have you ever violated this rule prohibiting comments and publicity about recruits? And, if so, is there anyone who has violated the rule more? I think you and Dean Murdoch may need to find a chalk board on which to write 100 times that you will not violate the rule. Or is there a loose interpretation of this rule of which we should be aware?

I enjoy the info but now that we know you have been wantonly ignoring the solemn directives of our esteemed NCAA and the clear public wishes of the U, perhaps we should . . .shut down the website . . .ban violators . . .seek public apologies . . .

Maybe I missed something and this is tongue in cheek.

Your reply and that of Mr. Murdoch would be appreciated

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 am

The rule is just for coaches and athletic departments making public comments about specific unsigned student-athletes - if it applied to everyone, there'd be a whole bunch of people (@jucorecruiting, @TheRecruitScoop, Verbal Commits, etc) that'd be shut down.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 am

While DD may in fact hold the record for UP NCAA violations, this is one rule that doesn't apply to him. jocolor 

Recruiting information usually comes for the recruit himself or from their family/friends. It's then just repeated at sites like this. There is no rule against recruits telling the public where they are going, but the coaches can't say anything until they student has signed.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

wrv wrote: I think you and Dean Murdoch may need to find a chalk board on which to write 100 times that you will not violate the rule. Or is there a loose interpretation of this rule of which we should be aware?

Ha-ha, not bothered much about writing anything 100 times; the biggest hurdle will be find a chalk board to do it on.  Seems to me the only place we see those anymore are in bars and restaurants advertising the changing brews and menu items.  Laughing

As our PN colleagues have already noted, the compliance message and rule applies to the school staff.....not to the fans or the student-athlete and his or her family and friends.

What does apply to us on PN is communicating in any form with the potential student/athlete prior to his or her enrollment and attendance of classes at UP, or whatever college they attend.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluff dweller Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 pm

wrv wrote:DD, have you ever violated this rule prohibiting comments and publicity about recruits? And, if so, is there anyone who has violated the rule more? I think you and Dean Murdoch may need to find a chalk board on which to write 100 times that you will not violate the rule. Or is there a loose interpretation of this rule of which we should be aware?

I enjoy the info but now that we know you have been wantonly ignoring the solemn directives of our esteemed NCAA and the clear public wishes of the U, perhaps we should . . .shut down the website . . .ban violators . . .seek public apologies . . .

Maybe I missed something and this is tongue in cheek.

Yeah, it's not a violation for normal fans to comment on recruits. It's just a problem if an official University coach or admin. does it.

Bluff dweller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Bluff dweller wrote:
Yeah, it's not a violation for normal fans to comment on recruits. It's just a problem if an official University coach or admin. does it.
Not that easy. Here is the rulebook :
“13.02.14 Representative of Athletics Interests. A “representative of the institution’s athletics interests” is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)
(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.
13.02.14.1 Duration of Status. Once an individual, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization is identified as such a representative, the person, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization retains that identity indefinitely. (Revised: 2/16/00)

Excerpt From: NCAA. “2012-13 Division I Manual.”
This material may be protected by copyright.
Tell me what part of talking about the program and recruits is NOT promoting the program. That is what Pilotnation does.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, if someone decides to enforce the literal interpretation of that rule, the good news is that there'll be 350 other schools in violation as well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Tell me what part of talking about the program and recruits is NOT promoting the program. That is what Pilotnation does.
All true.....but nothing in that prohibits us from communicating ABOUT a recruit.....however, by rule, we are NOT allowed to communicate WITH a recuit until they become a student attending classes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:33 pm

DeanMurdochs defence is a better one, though a BCS school has a much better chance of beating the rap than little UP.

SMC is a case in point. Compare them to the penalties BCS schools haven't gotten.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Jon Galloway is taking his official visit to Cal Poly this weekend....sources say he's now ready to sign....we'll just have to see...sources aren't always that reliable.  tongue
Galloway to visit UC Irvine this weekend and will make a decision next week, according to @JoshGershon. I guess considering he only visited Cal Poly and UC Irvine following the other guy committing to Montana, it'll likely be between those two schools.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 am

A bit of an update to Deaner's list....
DeanMurdoch wrote:Here's your August 26 recruiting update! Rating after each name is just from ESPN.

SG
Kaleb Warner - 69 (**) - SG/SF just short of getting 3 stars from ESPN but is not even listed on Scout or Rivals, showing how inconsistent these nat'l recruiting DBs are. Offers listed from UP and PSU, but there are more likely others. VC Pacific
Robbie Berwick - 66 (**) - Scout gives him 3 stars. At least 10 offers outstanding including one from an ACC school (Florida State). .VC Florida St.
Ronnie Harrell
- NR - not even listed on ESPN, but 3 stars from both Scout and Rivals. The high majors agree with the latter two, as he's visiting Purdue and Kansas State in fall. Probably safe to say he's not an option. VC Creighton
Grant Sims - NR - down to Portland, Illinois-Chicago, UT Martin, UNC Asheville, and Maryville (D2). Air Force with recent offer as well. VC Illinois-Chicago

SF
Temidayo Yussuf - 66 (**) - other offers from LMU, Pacific, and a bunch of Big West and Big Sky schools. VC Long Beach St.
Spencer Mathis - 62 (**) - not on Scout, on Rivals but no rating. According to the Las Vegas Prospects, will visit Portland, Santa Clara, Northern Colorado, and Grand Canyon in the fall. VC Northern Colorado
Jason Todd - NR - not on ESPN or Rivals, on Scout but no rating. Other offers from Pacific and Santa Clara.  VC Portland!

PF
Gabe Taylor might be committed, but the Pilots may well add another here. VC Portland
Evan Fitzner - 71 (***) - 3 stars from Scout, no rating from Rivals. Offers from half the Pac-12 so he's probably gone.VC St. Mary's
Joe Furstinger - 70 (***) - 3 stars from Scout and Rivals as well. Visited Pepperdine a couple days ago. Has offers from half the WCC. VC New Mexico
Devinir Duruisseau - 69 (**) - 3 stars from Scout, not listed on Rivals. LMU, Pepperdine among other offers for him.
Jacob Lampkin - 66 (**) - Not on Scout or Rivals. Also has offers from Pacific and out east from Dartmouth and American. VC Pacific

C
Thomas Welsh - 80 (****) - 4 stars from Scout and Rivals too. If the coaching staff lands this guy I'll FedEx them 24 of Saskatchewan's finest Pilsner. Trimmed his list to Stanford, Cal, and UCLA.
Added, and still on the board, since August 26:

PG
Oliver Tot 6'6" 200 from Slovakia via Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire.  Known to have offers from Lehigh, William & Mary, and UP.

C
Jon Galloway, 6'10" 225 from Richmond, CA Looks to be narrowing it down to Cal Poly SLO or Cal Irvine.Known offers from Cal Davis, Pacific, Pepperdine, and Sacramento St.  VC Cal Irvine 10/27 

Remember, these are only recuits we know about....there are others being recruited in Europe and at the high school and JUCO level in the US.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:00 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Galloway to visit UC Irvine this weekend and will make a decision next week, according to @JoshGershon. I guess considering he only visited Cal Poly and UC Irvine following the other guy committing to Montana, it'll likely be between those two schools.
I just checked-in with from my friend in the Bay Area who covers prep sports there, and she gets the impression Galloway's visit at UCI did not go all that great, but that he's still planning to commit to a California school.  

When I asked her about Galloway's chances of coming to UP, she replied, "no chance, zero, it's not gonna happen."

Well, I guess until he commits elsewhere......Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:34 pm

On Twitter, Rev sounded pretty enthusiastic about a recruiting visit early this week, and made reference to not knowing for sure if it was a good visit until signing day. Made me think he was talking about a 2014 recruit... Also last week was a reference to Portland visiting an Arizona Power player. I don't think we know of any offers to 2014 AZ Power recruits...

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:On Twitter, Rev sounded pretty enthusiastic about a recruiting visit early this week, and made reference to not knowing for sure if it was a good visit until signing day. Made me think he was talking about a 2014 recruit... Also last week was a reference to Portland visiting an Arizona Power player. I don't think we know of any offers to 2014 AZ Power recruits...
Yes, I'm sure you are correct....he was talking about a 2014 recruit, but NOT an Arizona Power player.....

UP has apparently offered scholarships to Arizona Power shooting guards Terrence Johnson and Kenzo Nudo, both from the class of 2015, and there are a number of others players on that AAU team that are gaining notice from various schools.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:05 am

OK, this is a bit of a scoop, but I don’t think we should get ahead of ourselves in thinking a third recruit has verbally committed to UP from the class of 2014.

Remember when Rev went on his ‘round the world trip?

Remember he stopped in New Hampshire to visit a potential recruit who we surmised was 6' 6" guard Oliver Tot from Slovakia who is now attending Kimball Union Academy?

Remember we then determined Rev was visiting someone in Vienna based on the picture of Hofburg Palace in his tweet?  Well, I now believe he was visiting with Tot’s parents in Vienna.

Tonight, after the game, I was among a group of Pilot Club members that was being regaled by Rev when he mentioned that UP has “three recruits committed for next year who will sign in November……and the third recruit was in attendance at tonight’s game.”

Well, there was no doubt in my mind, after seeing his pictures and videos, that I saw Oliver Tot (and probably his parents) behind the bench at tonight’s UP/Concordia-Irvine game.

A tweet from Tot’s Kimball Academy coach says Tot will be visiting Lehigh and William & Mary next week…..so I think the best bet is to wait for something from Tot himself for some kind of confirmation, but my fingers are crossed.  After all, not until the ink on the LOI is dry, is a recruit committed!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 am

Very interesting. A 6'6" PG in town sure sounds interesting....and just over two weeks until the early NLI period.

This is such a critical recruiting class...one year behind a (hopefully) strong senior class, then they'll be expected to carry a LOT of mail as sophomores.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:40 am

DD, good scoop! However, I have a bit of an alternate theory to put forward...

All we really know for sure from Rev's comment at the post-game event is A) There are now three recruits committed to sign in November, and B) One of them was at yesterday's game.

A few other things we know for sure:

• Tot's coach tweeted that he was on an official visit to UP this weekend, and will make visits to Lehigh and W&M next week. Also, DD saw Tot at the game.

• Last week, Reveno made a quick, one-day trip via red-eye flight to have a promising meeting with a recruit, who we believe to be a 2014 prospect.

Given these two pieces of evidence, I think it is unlikely that Tot has already committed to UP. I also think it is unlikely that Rev's recruiting visit last week had anything to do with Tot. If Tot were going to make an official visit to UP this weekend, why would Rev need to fly somewhere to meet with him just a few days before? And if he had already committed to UP, why would his coach announce that he will be taking visits to two other schools?

My theory is that Rev's comment about a 2014 committed recruit being in the building yesterday was in reference to Gabe Taylor. In fact, going back to look at his photos in the Oregonian and Tribune articles from July, I think I was sitting just a few sets down from Gabe and his father at yesterday's game.

That would mean that Tot has not committed, and is still considering UP, Lehigh and William and Mary. That ALSO means that there is in fact another, as of yet unknown 2014 recruit who has verbally committed -- who I surmise Reveno visited last week. If Tot picks UP, that would make him #4.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Ha-ha, dueling theories……face it, if any of us knew what was really going on we wouldn’t have anything to write about….Razz 

Continuing my theory….I believe the Pilots will sign only 3 recruits this November, and will save the remaining scholarship to snag another transfer in the late spring/early summer, probably a BIG.  

We’ve written about the lack of prep centers available this year, and we know that JUCO transfers generally don’t have the academic background to enter UP, so picking up a transfer is probably the best way to go.  One would think student-athletes who are considering transferring look for schools that offer both an opportunity to play and a coach to help them develop.   It is my guess that most coaching staffs have a pretty good idea who may be looking to transfer.

It would appear the three recruits who will sign in November are Jason, Gabe and, fingers crossed, Oliver.  But I guess we’ll find out in mid-November…..the first day of signing is 11/13, but it will take longer to process the paperwork for a player who’s education and playing time has been (mostly) overseas.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Well, DD, if you are sticking with your theory I assume you have some other info that you aren't sharing here. Because I'm not sure how you overlook the circumstances of Taylor being at yesterday's game, Tot have scheduled visits to two other schools, and Rev having made a breakneck trip to visit an unnamed recruit last week.

I feel pretty confident in my logic, but you seem pretty confident in your CONCLUSION, which makes me think you may have heard some further details at that Pilot Club shindig that you keeping under your hat silent 

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I feel pretty confident in my logic, but you seem pretty confident in your CONCLUSION, which makes me think you may have heard some further details at that Pilot Club shindig that you keeping under your hat silent
Nope, nothing heard or seen beyond what I've indicated here.

Actually, I have not reached any CONCLUSION....I'm just spitballing hoping to get others involved in the discussion based upon what others have written here on PN, what Rev has written on twitter, and what we heard from AD Leykam many months ago about it being a good policy to keep a scholarship available for a D-1 or JUCO transfer, or an available recruit overseas.

I doubt there is a “mystery” recruit out there that Rev is in touch with…..but I wouldn’t mind if I’m WRONG!! pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:12 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I just checked-in with from my friend in the Bay Area who covers prep sports there, and she gets the impression Galloway's visit at UCI did not go all that great, but that he's still planning to commit to a California school.  
Well, apparently it went well enough for Jon to give a verbal committment to UCI today....

Another BIG off the board. Rolling Eyes (I updated Deaner's list on page 15).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next