Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next year

+9
aleppiek
Harry Redknapp
wrv
Geezaldinho
harryb
pms275
FANatic
fozziewozzie
UPWomenSoccerRookie
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Next year - Page 2 Empty Re: Next year

Post by aleppiek Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am

Wow, format really broke down
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:21 am

aleppiek.

you can preserve format as you want it using the "code" button to enclose highlighted text. otherwise the editor tries to compress it.

right next to the "quote" button.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 am

Based on the skillset that we have returning/coming in, anyone see us changing formations up a bit? Perhaps a move from 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1

Which would allow something like this

Code:
                              Enyeart/ R. Rapinoe

R.Rapinoe/Burke                        M. Rapinoe                              Reed

Schmidt/Jackman                    Winters

Sweeney                      Corie/Olivier            Kelley/Frosh?                  Tsao

I dunno, just thinking abstractly about how we can maximize our offense, while still protecting a young defense.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

OK,

that looks a little bit better, still not great, clearly I am a PHPBB Novice.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:06 pm

Aleppiek -
If you've ever seen the team train during pre-season, you know they start with defense and build there. I don't see Garrett changing the formation, giving the offensive tools they have, just to shore up the defense. I do not believe Garret, nor Clive, were ever shy about having a young/rookie backline. The '98 team had two freshman starters on the back line, and the '99 team had two sophomores and two freshman starting (and let's not forget the '99 team started 5-7 freshman on a regular basis-- and they ended up being the seniors that anchored the first National Championship team.) Plus, given the organizational command Kelsey Davis has, and Hailee DeYoung is building, I think they Pilots will get by just fine with a youthful defense. They have to get thrown into the mix sooner or later, and in this game, you'd rather it be sooner so they can learn their lessons early on.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 pm

I agree with KFTC.

I recall a couple games where UP dropped a forward and left Sinclair by herself--she had no one to work with and UP spent more of the game in their own end.

Ya gotta put pressure on the other guy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:33 pm

I don't disagree with that, but to play devils advocate, do you see the French Mens National team as not pressuring the other guy? Rather the opposite, a formation like that allows all 4 front players, who all in their own right are phenomenal attackers, to attack more aggressively. I don't pretend to have as much insight into the Pilots specifically and their training habits, but I do see there being some likeness to the strengths of this team and this formation.

Only trying to stir conversation, not saying that the current setup isn't our best play. The 4-4-2 just tends to be a formation that breeds predictability.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:30 pm

Oh, I don't know that the 4-4-2 is predictable. If you play boom ball with it, then sure. But I don't think San Diego or Santa Clara knew where they were going to get hit next. Lopez played those games like a striker half the time.

But I'm not saying we won't change formations at some point. If we get the right personnel, (quite possible in the next 2 years) we might go to UNC's 3-4-3.

It takes some exceptional speed to do that, though.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm certainly glad to hear that Megan Sweeney is already healthy and scrimmaging. After kelsey Hollenback's experience and that of Megan Rapinoe this year, you just never know with knee injuries. I just hope that Megan R is able to come back at full speed and ability.

There is no doubt that we will miss Budge, Woznuk, Michaelson, Cronkrite and Lopez; and Scifo too.

But the freshman class of 07 with Winters, Tsao, Reed and Schmidt has made a great contribution. And it sounds like the incoming class could be special too.

I don't think we've seen the best of Schmidt yet; Reed will get better with experience; Winters has the potential to be a rock in MF for 4 years in the Barr and Sari tradition; and Tsao ended up very strong.

Enyeart was just excellent. And we've got two solid GK. If Sweeney and the Rapinoes are healty we're looking good.

And there could be more to come from Jackman and Kelly too.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Is it possible we will be better next year, particularly given the quality of the recruits and the return of the Rapinoes? I think it hard to believe we will be better defensively, but close. Offensively, notwithstanding Woznuk's departure, we will be loaded . . .provided injuries do not factor as much as they did this year.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Speaking of next year ... well, it does sort of relate to next year, and really, I don't want to start a new topic, so I'll just stick this in here as a teaser for something more I'll put on in a couple of weeks about the RPI. (I guess I'm almost as obsessive about the RPI as the Geez is about Pilots recruits.) The Big East Conference has 16 teams that played just over 19 games each this year for a total of 308 games. Of those games, how many did they play against teams from the West region? Seven. Question: How can any statistical rating system realistically rank Big East teams in relation to West region teams? Question
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Next year - Page 2 Empty Next year

Post by bluffer Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Too many possibilities but I'll put another lineup out anyway. Michelle and Kendra up top. Meagan (if healthy) as attacking mid with Sophie as holding. Reed and Burke on the wings. Oliver and Keelin center back and Jessica and Sweeney outside back. Davis in goal. If M. Rapinoe isn't healthy then Foxhoven in the middle somewhere. Reed gets a few games to prove she has learned when to pass the ball otherwise she is replaced by Foxhoven. Or maybe switch Reed for Tsao. I would really like to see Jessica's attacking skills put to better use.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 pm

bluffer - Nice lineup. I like your integration of the new freshmen into the group, as I think at least one or more of them are going to be just too good not to start right off the bat.

You are dead right when you say there are too many possibilities. Where is Rachael? Have who forgotten what a fast and quick scoring machine she turned into before her untimely ACL tear?

Many have mentioned Jessica as a possible wing. Did you see her penetration and pass to set up Enyeart's first half goal against UCLA? We need to upgrade our speed and quickness if we are going to win a title without Sinc. Jess has the requisite speed and quickness to be a great attacking wing, in my opinion.

Great to see you post, bluffer. Would love to see more posts from you if you are comfortable doing so. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:48 pm

Looks like Three future Pilots will be in the U-17 camp over winter break.

Michelle and Lindsi will get to work together earlier than we thought. Charney can get acquainted, too

Rather than link to it, I'll just post it.

U17 Women's National Team holds 1st camp for 90s
by US Soccer 1/2/2007

The U.S. U-17 women kick off the year for U.S. Soccer’s Women’s National Team programs with a training camp from Jan. 3-10 in Orlando, Fla., at University of Central Florida. U.S. head coach Erica Walsh will bring in 30 players, many of whom saw considerable time last year with the U.S. U-16s under head coach Kazbek Tambi. All 30 players were born in 1990. The team will play several intra-squad scrimmages during the week-long training camp.

U.S. U-17 WNT Roster By Position

GOALKEEPERS (3): Elizabeth Hanna (Weddington, N.C.), Jill Mastroianni (Durham, Conn.), Cat Parkhill (Apple Valley, Minn.);

DEFENDERS (5): Jennifer LaPonte (Castro Valley, Calif.), Camille Levin (Newport Beach, Calif.), Lindsi Lisonbee (Park City, Utah), Michelle Oliver (Rosewell, Ga.), Alyssa Pember (Northport, N.Y.);

MIDFIELDERS (11): Shira Averbuch (Upper Montclair, N.J.), Julia Bouchelle (Cockeysville, Md.), Charney Burk (Santa Ana, Calif.), Sarah Chapman (Silver Spring, Md.), Kylie Doniak (Chino Hills, Calif.), Niki Fernandes (South Weber, Utah), Katy Frierson (Homewood, Ala.), Emilie Huser (Fort Wayne, Ind.), Cody Newman (Bellerose, N.Y.), Bailey Powell (Fayetteville, Ga.), Beth West (Centennial, Colo.);

FORWARDS (11): Lauren Alwine (Elizabethtown, Pa.), Sade Ayinde (North Bellmore, N.Y.), Brianna Garcia (Babylon, N.Y.), Maggie Kistner (St. Louis, Mo.), Sidney Leroux (Lakewood, Wash.), Paige Maxwell (Medina, Ohio), Tiffany McCarty (Laurel, Md.), Marissa Mykines (Colbert, Wash.), Toni Pressley (Melbourne, Fla.), Melanie Johnston (Phoenix, Ariz.), Rachel Wood (Laguna Niguel, Calif.).

Ah-- now I see they've met--

That was LAST years winter camp--silly me.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:53 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Speaking of next year ... well, it does sort of relate to next year, and really, I don't want to start a new topic, so I'll just stick this in here as a teaser for something more I'll put on in a couple of weeks about the RPI. (I guess I'm almost as obsessive about the RPI as the Geez is about Pilots recruits.) Question

Well, I think we may all have to go to meetings and start going through the 10 step program.

"I'm geezer and I'm a Pilot-haulic"

Chorus:-- "Hi Geezer"

I can't wait to see what you come up with...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:39 pm

So, in the article yesterday it indicated that we are playing UCLA at home in August, any other speculation as to other games? We got the return trip back from FL St. this year, so I wouldn't expect them to show up on the schedule, but how about USC at home? Any other big time games in the cards?
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Not sure yet, but I'll note that Florida didn't return the trip from last year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2