Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 3 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by bdaddy Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Has anybody heard of Josh Hearlihy? He was a former Utah commit that I've seen linked to UP on a few recruiting sites.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 3 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm

bdaddy wrote:Has anybody heard of Josh Hearlihy? He was a former Utah commit that I've seen linked to UP on a few recruiting sites.
Yes, of course we’ve heard of him…after he signed a LOI at Utah, he was run off by the coach before he even graduated from high school in California.

According to some, he has now been offered the spot at UP that was vacated when Dorian Cason left school.

I don’t know how much he’s grown since we last saw him, but he was being listed as a two-star small forward at 6’7/210……he may be bigger now that he’s been out of high school for eight months. I believe he sat out the last half of his senior year due to knee problems associated with growing too quickly......but he was a recruit that UP was definitely looking at.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

bdaddy wrote:Has anybody heard of Josh Hearlihy? He was a former Utah commit that I've seen linked to UP on a few recruiting sites.

Thanks for the name, mysterious new poster.

http://coxsportsonline.com/2013/02/josh-hearlihy-of-northfield-mount-hermon/

From five days ago. Hearlihy is a 6'7" SF...from California but goes to a Massachusetts school? He says in the interview that he's got offers from Drake, Rice, Santa Clara, Old Dominion, Elon, and.....Portland. And "interest" from Maryland, Pitt, and St. Bonaventure.

Go figure...we bringing in three players this year? Speculate away.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm

To the best of my knowledge, he's had on offer on the table from UP for quite some time now, and is weighing his various options.

At some point, as we get closer to LOI day on April 17, UP will withdraw the offer and go with someone who REALLY wants to go to UP, if young Mr. Hearlihy does not.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm

How about this student athlete who happens to be a shooting guard and who initially chose Northern Arizona over UP, but is now attending Citrus college in Glendora Cal:

Danny Cheek

ACADEMIC NOTES: Plans to study biology/sports medicine...Member of the Honor Roll in high school.

HIGH SCHOOL: A 2011 graduate of Corona Del Mar High School…Played for Ryan Schacter…McDonalds All-America game nominee…Was rated the No. 18 overall recruit in the state of California and No. 52 shooting guard overall in the nation in ESPN Recruiting Rankings All-CIF Southern Section Division III second team…First-team All-Pacific Coast…BALLISLIFE Regional All-American…Ranked on ESPN recruiting page at No. 157 and No. 52 for position...Named one of top 15 area players by the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce…Three-time Newport Beach Dream team selection…Averaged 15.3 points per game as a senior…Reached playoffs three times…Averaged 13.6 points and 3.9 rebounds as a junior and led his team to a school-best 24-4 record and a CIF Southern Section quarterfinal appearance…Rated one of the Top 20 high school two guards in the western United States….He was an All-Orange County selection and All-CIF selection, as well as All- Pacific Coast League.

PERSONAL: Born Daniel Jerome Cheek April 20, 1993 in Washington, D.C…Son of Carlita and Kevin Ray…Has three brothers, Kevin, Kavon and Dakota…Also considered the University of Portland…Enjoys working on classic cars.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:11 pm

wrv wrote:How about this student athlete who happens to be a shooting guard and who initially chose Northern Arizona over UP, but is now attending Citrus college in Glendora Cal:

Hardly got off the bench at NAU as a freshman...if he's actually at Citrus he's not playing, as he's not on their roster or listed as having stats. Can't find any info on where he's actually at.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm sure Danny is a fine player, but how about this straight A student who's an 11 year-old 5th grader, but plays for his Downey Christian School High School team? He's only 4'5", but he's got until 2020 to grow a few inches.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

I’d like to know whatever happened to Jordan Tebbutt….the two-time Oregon 3A POY who graduated from Oak Hill Academy in Virginia last June.

I know he had at least 10 offers from D-1 schools, including UP, WSU, and OSU, and took some official visits….then disappeared!

One JUCO player that UP has looked at, and may have made an offer to, is from Minnesota, but is playing across the state line in North Dakota. Marquel Curtis is a 6’3” small forward who’s putting down over 20 a game for Williston State CC.

Marquel didn’t qualify academically for D-1 out of high school in 2011 due to a lack of math classes, I believe, but he’s apparently really lighting it up in front of recruiters and may now go “big-time,” possibly even Kansas.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:One JUCO player that UP has looked at, and may have made an offer to, is from Minnesota, but is playing across the state line in North Dakota. Marquel Curtis is a 6’3” small forward who’s putting down over 20 a game for Williston State CC.

I've actually seen Williston play both this year and last year and that name isn't registering with me at all...strange. I see he's their leading scorer so maybe hurt/DNP in the games I saw (Williston is only 3 hours south of where I am).

Would be UP's second guard from WSC - can't remember the first guy's name and portlandpilots.com isn't loading up for me. Was from 2004/2005 era. Nice guy.

edit: Walter Thompson is who I was thinking of.

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I’d like to know whatever happened to Jordan Tebbutt….the two-time Oregon 3A POY who graduated from Oak Hill Academy in Virginia last June.

Enrolled at Kansas. Not playing basketball.

https://twitter.com/JoshGershon/status/289866132771467264

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Williston, North Dakota is a long way from California: this fellow Curtis has been listed as a potential recruit for several months--if we are going to California to watch a jc shooting guard, my guess is it is unlikely to be him. Given the amount of time we have been supposedly recruiting this fellow, the number of other schools pursuing him(would he be interested in the U if Kansas is looking at him)and the prior allusions here to the Pilot staff having difficulty finding an academically qualified jc (he did not qualify academically out of hs) I assume that we are not now actively recruiting Curtis. It remains possible but unlikely . . .the rumor mill will heat up soon enough, or so I hope.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I’d like to know whatever happened to Jordan Tebbutt….the two-time Oregon 3A POY who graduated from Oak Hill Academy in Virginia last June.
Enrolled at Kansas. Not playing basketball.
https://twitter.com/JoshGershon/status/289866132771467264
A. Good find, Deaner.
B. Wow, really?
C. Unusual to say the least.

A guy with his talent and academics is not unknown the KU staff...I'm sure. I've seen this before where a kid is kind of "stored away" on campus while dad pays the fees, then all of a sudden turns up on the roster after a year or two....older, wiser, and stronger.

It was something Gonzaga used to do regularly under Dan Fitzgerald.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Would be UP's second guard from WSC - can't remember the first guy's name and portlandpilots.com isn't loading up for me. Was from 2004/2005 era. Nice guy.

edit: Walter Thompson is who I was thinking of.
Walter is a terrific person! I’ve lost track of him now, but after his one year at Cal Poly Pomona he played in Mexico and Latin America. Walter comes from a Mexican heritage and was loving the experience before he suffered a leg or foot injury.

Walter would be a wonderful coach and mentor, in my estimation.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am

The only thing I have found that can ease the misery of another losing season is scouring the interwebs for names of possible recruits that have very low probability of ever actually stepping foot on the bluff. It's pathetic I know but therapeutic none the less.

Along these lines, what say you guys about Jordan Tebbutt? He is a former hot prospect in Oregon that seems to have disappeared over the last year.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 am

bdaddy wrote:Along these lines, what say you guys about Jordan Tebbutt? He is a former hot prospect in Oregon that seems to have disappeared over the last year.

Haha...dude, look two posts above your own.

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:
bdaddy wrote:Along these lines, what say you guys about Jordan Tebbutt? He is a former hot prospect in Oregon that seems to have disappeared over the last year.

Haha...dude, look two posts above your own.

Ha! My bad. Good looking out.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

DoubleDipper wrote:One JUCO player that UP has looked at, and may have made an offer to, is from Minnesota, but is playing across the state line in North Dakota. Marquel Curtis is a 6’3” small forward who’s putting down over 20 a game for Williston State CC.

Update on Marquel today -

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/marquel-curtis-of-williston-state-has-wide-spread-interest/

According to that, one offer from the WCC (San Francisco).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 am

PilotNut brought up a tweet from a College of Southern Idaho coach in the State of the Program thread...some stats on a few CSI guards in there (James Reid, Jaysean Paige, Montigo Alford).

James Reid Article - This is from the Bend Bulletin but I'm too cheap to pay the 75 cents. Headline is "Former Mountain View star eyes D-I".

Montigo Alford Article - a 5'9" PG that can jump out of the gym with leadership abilities.....but was a HS teammate of Dorian Cason who just transferred outta here. Hmm.

This thread is full of rampant, wild speculation. Happy to add some more!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Another Marquel Curtis update...he's committed to Tulsa. Never sounded like the Pilots were a front-runner anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:14 pm

You may recall that Dorian is enrolled at CSI
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Relegation is for European soccer teams, not NCAA players...doubt he's coming back up... it'd be an interesting twist if one of his new classmates did though.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 pm

dholcombe wrote:Relegation is for European soccer teams, not NCAA players...doubt he's coming back up... it'd be an interesting twist if one of his new classmates did though.
Oh, believe me, he's NOT coming back!

Just thought it was interesting that CSI was part of the conversation.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:14 am

BTW, if anyone is researching JCs, you might want to checkout Santa Rosa JC in Calif---they have a helluva good team! Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Rev leaves on a recruiting trip in Europe, starting in Spain tomorrow---
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Spain as in Spain, or Spain as in the Canary Islands are part of Spain?

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next