Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Rumor has it that Bobby Sharp shot the lights out during his official visit to the Bluff over the past couple of days.

We've been clamoring for a shooter and ball handler that can step right in. Sure seems like this would be a great fit for this team.

Wouldn't that violate "D" on DD's guidelines? Suspect
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 am

As far as I know, someone on an official visit can (and almost always do) work out with the team as long as it's not organized or observed by the coaching staff (so it's not a try out, and thus not in violation of DD's D).

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I'm guessing too, that it's time for the team to go abroad for another late-summer tour and he's looking for some sponsors. These foreign trips are allowed every four years; isn't it about time?

Who knows? An overseas trip might transfigure the Pilots from a seemingly directionless bunch into Seal Team 6.
Éste puede estar muy caliente en España en agosto, pero si usted está recibiendo en forma y jugando en el interior, usted puede sobrevivir! Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:As far as I know, someone on an official visit can (and almost always do) work out with the team as long as it's not organized or observed by the coaching staff (so it's not a try out, and thus not in violation of DD's D).
Yep, that's correct, and with a recent rule change, the coaches can be there too.

From Rev this morning:
Finishing up official visit this morning. New rule allowing prospect to workout with team/coaches great for getting to know each other.
It's not a tryout, it's a workout! Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:23 am

If the official visitor should commit to the Pilots, he will have been forwarned that the weather can be rainy and cold.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

What other schools are in the mix for this guy?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Éste puede estar muy caliente en España en agosto, pero si usted está recibiendo en forma y jugando en el interior, usted puede sobrevivir! Cool

Sí.

NoPoNeighbor wrote:What other schools are in the mix for this guy?

Hawaii and UC Riverside according to that article a couple of weeks ago. Here's hoping he wants a few opportunities to take down one of the top teams in the country on national TV.....HEY, now I see where you guys are going with the whole "it's good for the WCC" thing with Gonzaga being ranked No. 1!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I'm guessing too, that it's time for the team to go abroad for another late-summer tour and he's looking for some sponsors. These foreign trips are allowed every four years; isn't it about time?

Who knows? An overseas trip might transfigure the Pilots from a seemingly directionless bunch into Seal Team 6.
Éste puede estar muy caliente en España en agosto, pero si usted está recibiendo en forma y jugando en el interior, usted puede sobrevivir! Cool
Does this post need it's own thread?

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 am

Now that Bobby Sharp is highly likely to be a Pilot, any thoughts on how much impact he has next year? Starter at point? The low post scorers all to enjoy greater room down low because teams will need to defend the three point line? Are Wintering and Sharp going to be on the court together often or will it expose us too much defensively? My concern is that with this step up the athleticism of defenders will make it difficult for him to get off his shot, but I am sure the coaches gave consideration to the problem.

It appears that having assessed Pilot performance in the last year, the staff was/is interested in improving the performance of our guards. I am hoping this will do it.

We welcome him to the Pilots, and separately welcome his three point shooting, a nice addition. Maybe his example will get Carr going from the arc.

I assume that is it for the 2013 class. . .?

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:41 am

Now that Bobby Sharp is highly likely to be a Pilot

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!? No offense wvr, but you are getting way ahead of yourself, unless there is something I'm missing. I'll I've read thus far is that he took an official visit. I heard no mention of his impressions. I do know that he either visited or is planning on visiting Hawaii from his twitter, but he hasn't posted in the past couple of days so no indication on how his trip in Portland went. With recruits my opinion is to always wait until the LOI is signed, or at least there is some sort of verbal commitment. I really feel uncomfortable saying he's most likely a Pilot. I hope it works out, I really do because I really think a consistent shooter is a huge need, but I just don't think it's right to make that speculation.

That all being said, its also hard to access where our team will be next year because there are still a lot of questions like:

Oskars status
Alec's ability to adjust to D-1 basketball
Who gets our final scholarship
David's Rehab
How this trip to Spain turns out
How offseason workouts go

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 am

Whoa, is right! pale

There is no indication at all that any recruit is leaning UP's way at this point in the process.

I'm hoping that UP can make an announcement (or two) in about four weeks.....but for now, NOTHING is known!

(Re: Mr. Sharp....he's NOT a PG! But he's a fine SG!)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:26 am

I do not believe I am getting in the least ahead of myself, but maybe. I suspect that Mr. Sharp is indeed going to be a Pilot. And I do not suggest it merely because I am enthusiastic.

I am not the sort to get ahead of myself, and I doubt I am wrong, but as I indicated, maybe.

Last edited by wrv on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 am

Might depend on the weather in Hawaii? Lots of long plane flights for away games if you go there though....

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 pm

[quote="DoubleDipper"]Whoa, is right! pale

There is no indication at all that any recruit is leaning UP's way at this point in the process.

I am glad someone is sufficiently well informed that they can declare unequivocally that "there is no indication at all that any recruit is leaning UP's way..." That sort of access to information is available to but a few . . .

An interesting comment.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Come on fellas. There ain't enough Pilots fans in the world for us to be squabbling with one another! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:24 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Come on fellas. There ain't enough Pilots fans in the world for us to be squabbling with one another! Very Happy

Fewer than two? scratch
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:03 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:Come on fellas. There ain't enough Pilots fans in the world for us to be squabbling with one another! Very Happy

Fewer than two? scratch
Feels like it, at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:There is no indication at all that any recruit is leaning UP's way at this point in the process.
Sorry to have misspoken this morning as I was dashing out the door to play golf in the rain and hail showers.

What I meant to say was there is no indication at all from UP that any recruit is leaning UP's way.....Sorry to have left UP out of my statement. Embarassed

Yes I did see the recruit at UP, and as you may recall, it was I who pointed the original search toward SRJC. Yes, I have seen at least three tweets and a blog indicating the SRJC shooting guard is coming to UP, but I try to be very, very cautious about preempting the UP staff or the recruit when it comes to making announcements......especially when they involve a potential signing.

In the furture I will attempt to refrain from making any posts until I've had two cups of coffee and it's noon!

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:59 pm

dholcombe wrote:Might depend on the weather in Hawaii? Lots of long plane flights for away games if you go there though....
You bring up a good point. I have had the privilege of witnessing a number of game at the U of Hawaii (a great venue with some really gracious and fun fans), but it always amazes me how many players only stay for two years or less because they miss the normalcy and close proximity of the mainland after being initially seduced by the beautiful landscape and people on Oahu.

It almost happened to me when I was seriously considering flying for Hawaiian Airlines....that would have been a big mistake for a number of reasons, including bankruptcy. affraid
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 pm

The Youth Sports Network (the WHAT???) reported Wednesday that Bobby Sharp has committed to Portland.

Link

So, I guess it's up to you guys if you want to hold on for a more reliable source or start the Sharp welcome wagon and readjust your depth charts for next season.

Hopefully this is true. I think this is a fantastic fit.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Great to hear.

And thanks to DD for the initial lead as well as all of the informative posts.

I think, however, that the source cited is not altogether accurate as Sharp could not have actually signed yet, though committed I assume he is.

Are we done for 2013?

I think Sharp will make the offense better right aware.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 pm

wrv wrote:Great to hear.

Are we done for 2013?

Um, "officially," yes....., but we really don't know Oskars status, do we!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm

FYI: The next NCAA Letter of Intent period for basketball begins April 17 and ends May 15.....can't wait Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:28 am

Are JC players under the same NLI rules? I tried to research that, but it quickly confused me. Read

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 am

up7587 wrote:Are JC players under the same NLI rules? I tried to research that, but it quickly confused me. Read
Hmm, probably need more than one attorney to vote on the correct answer to that question, but the NCAA rule reads (in part):
….only prospective student-athletes who are enrolling in a four-year institution for the first time sign a National Letter of Intent.
The rules do not distinguish between the different types of schools a student-athlete is coming from in this particular situation…..that I can see. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next