Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm

+2
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
6 posters

Go down

MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm Empty MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm

Post by PilotNut Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:32 pm

U.S. Bank Pilot Men’s Basketball Open House

Portland Pilot basketball fans will get a chance to check out the 2012-13 team for the first time as special guests of the 2012 U.S. Bank Pilot Basketball Open House, scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 20 beginning at 4:30 p.m. at the Chiles Center. In addition to fans being introduced to the team for the first time, there will be free food, on-court contests and activities for kids, post-game autographs with the team, and a question-and-answer session for the players and coaches. The event is free and open to the public, so bring along friends and family for a good time."

I will be there, as I am anxious to see the progress of the team! (And to pick up my season tickets...) Will the Pilot Club also be open? Cool

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm Empty Re: MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:15 pm

....and the rest of Dave Taylor's email:
Please RSVP to Dave Taylor by Friday, October 19th with whether or not you’re attending.

(If you cannot attend, and would like to have your tickets mailed to you, please call or email Dave Taylor. If we don’t hear from you then your tickets will be held in our office and can be picked up during our normal office hours (M-F 11am -5pm), or at our first game at will call.)

Contact Dave Taylor at taylord@up.edu or 503-943-8619 with your RSVP by Friday, October 19th
Don't know if Dave would like to hear from you if you are planning to attend and you're NOT a season ticket holder, but it would probably help ensure there is enough to eat. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm Empty Re: MBX Open House, Saturday 10/20/12, 4:30pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 am

DON'T FORGET, today's the day!

Purple vs. White in the US Bank Men's Basketball Open House at 4:30 in the Chiles Center.

The guys had their seven day "basketball camp" while the rest of the students were on Fall Break......it will be interesting to see where we are with just eight days until the Concordia game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Thoughts anyone?

I thought that Bryce and Oskars looked both looked good. Korey and Tanner are much improved too!

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Pressley looked really good in his limited minutes today. I hear he has been very consistent and practice, and could see playing time this year.

It's hard to really judge much in a scrimmage like this, but Nicholas looked strong (and has lost weight), as did Kevin Bailey. Oskars is big & physical, and it was good to see Thieleke play. Tanner had some good looks...

This is going to be Nicholas' team this year, so lets hope he can lead the young guys!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Tanner has really matured physically over the summer, and he's shooting better than ever. He can still be streaky, but today he was red hot and gaining confidence. If he can stay hot.....it will be hard to keep him out of the lineup. He was by far the stand-out performer, hitting shots from all over.

Yes, Ryan is definitely the team leader....slim, trim, and strong, it's obvious he's put in the work during the summer.

Derrick is quicker and stronger, and handled the ball well. He did not take one shot from outside, but hit his free throws. He was about the only one who did....I thought most everyone looked abysmal at the stripe.

I think Oskars is finding college ball a little more difficult than he expected. At Canarius he was pretty much locked-up all the time just balling and going to class some, but now there's a lot more to SCHOOL, after school study, and actual FREE time that he has to learn to manage. This evening he was best at backing down his defender and finding the open man for quick passes. He had four fouls for his aggressive play, but couldn't believe any of them were the correct call. Rolling Eyes He’ll be fine.

Riley is back bigger and stronger...no effect from his knee injury.

Bryce’s groin was bothering him so he played only a few minutes, but his savvy and athleticism are remarkable....he's the best of the newcomers at this point.

John Bailey couldn't hit anything tonight, but he was making all kinds of moves to the hoop....he's obviously been working on agility. He's got three years to play and could be the surprise of the group at some point.

Dorian's in much better shape, but didn't do anything to make an impression today.

Nothing remarkable from Jake, KB or vdM, and Taylor Mossman was not on the court.

David Carr is making the transition to the 1, but it's still not natural. He and Derrick shared the 1 with David Ahern, while Oskars played the 2. I really liked Ahern's handling of the ball....and he hit a couple of threes. Very smart on the court, when he develops physically he could get some minutes.

The game was played in three 10 minute periods simulating various game situations. Everyone was really dragging by the end of the third 10 minute period because there were only two substitutes available to each team. At the end of each period a number of players would swap teams so the coaches could see various players work together.

Bottom line....sorry, too soon to tell, but I think Coach Reveno was a little disappointed in the overeall performance. I will say this, the team chemistry is wonderful! Very Happy

I still believe Ahern and Ehlers will redshirt.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:26 am

Thanks for the summation DD and Pilot Nut. The hype which preceded the arrival of our recruits is apparently an interesting contrast to their projected roles after seeing everyone on the court: "[Bryce] is the best of the newcomers . . ." surprises me, even if based on a limited glimpse.

Whatever their roles, let's hope this version is better than the last, puts more Ws on the board. The league and schedule remain tough.

I assume Carr will continue to start at the point. I am hoping he becomes a bigger threat to score.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:49 pm

wrv wrote:I assume Carr will continue to start at the point. I am hoping he becomes a bigger threat to score.
David is making strides, and the coaches are encouraged by his improvement, but for now, Derrick is our 1 with David as a backup, with Oscars and Alec Wintering (2013) waiting in the wings.

Derrick is just too quick and strong at both ends of the court this year to lose the position unless he starts turning the ball over and can’t score at all.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:24 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Derrick is just too quick and strong at both ends of the court this year to lose the position unless he starts turning the ball over and can’t score at all.
Big ifs? I hope not! What was the turnover situation at the scrimmage? Did they protect the ball any better than last year?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I still believe Ahern and Ehlers will redshirt.
With only one incoming recruit in next year's class, having a couple of redshirts would really help even out the classes.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks, DD. I really hope we get some good performance from the PG position this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:30 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:What was the turnover situation at the scrimmage? Did they protect the ball any better than last year?
Yes, there were turnovers and general sloppiness as the teams in general were attempting to play all up-tempo without working much of a half-court offense.

With so many changes from period to period in team composition, it was almost like an all-star game in that no one team could settle into a rhythm. When we open against Concordia next Saturday I’m sure there will be plenty of substituting, but I think we’ll know who the first team and first subs are.

One thing that stood out was the fierceness under the glass. Nicholas probably scored the most, but there was some real hacking, banging, and fouling going on. I think a few of the guys are feeling some aches today, especially Oskars who tried to mix it up, but on more than one occasion got leveled for his efforts. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:27 pm

I have a question. well more of a statement. Zack Farmer "predicted" the starting lineup with both Carr and Rogers in the lineup. DD says that Rogers is the PG which means that Carr would be the 2. I am going out on a limb (alright so not a very thin limb) and will say that Tanner instead starts at the 2. Two reasons, first of which is Tanner played very well in the scrimmage and secondly I think Carr will back up Rogers.
Thoughts?

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Rodgers is the PG, backed up by Carr (from my observation, this is what the staff is working toward).

As long as he's hitting his shots, Riley is the SG, backed up by others including Reinfelds and Pressley.

My prediction is that eventually Rogers and Reinfelds will be at the 1 & Riley and Carr at the 2) but that may be more of a hope than a prediction).

(A Funny: Even the PA announcer was feeling a few preseason jitters when Tanner hit a three, he announced, "3 (from) Riley Tanner.")
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Give the announcer a break. There's two Riley's on the court again now that Barker is back. Maybe he thought fans would be confused....Tanner and Riley look so similar after all...OK, they don't.

Anyways I liked seeing the hustle. There were a couple people who ended up on the floor after loose balls even though it was a scrimmage. There were however more loose balls than I would have liked to see and not all of them were due to good defending. We've still got some work to do taking care of the ball I think.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down