Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senior Night! Pilots vs. SCU 2/19 5:30 PM

+6
oh brody
PilotDrummer
mattywizz
PilotNut
dholcombe
DaTruRochin
10 posters

Go down

Senior Night!  Pilots vs. SCU  2/19  5:30 PM Empty Senior Night! Pilots vs. SCU 2/19 5:30 PM

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

So this is still a very big game, the Pilots need to rebound at take out the Broncos to have any realistic hope of at least sneaking in to that spot for a precious first round bye. We had a tough go last time around at the Leavey Center and were torched by Ben Dowdell and Kevin Foster. Also only Tim and Luke managed effective games last time around, we will need one of our shooters to get in the game if we want to get a result in our favor this time.

Also I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this is the last game in Chiles for the season aka Senior Night. Lets hope a nice crowd can be on hand to show appreciation for the 4 years of hard work by Kramer, Jared, Luke and Jasonn. (Ceremony will be 10 mins before tip off)

Game time: 5:30 PM

TV: Comcast Sports Net
Live Stats/Audio
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Senior Night!  Pilots vs. SCU  2/19  5:30 PM Empty Re: Senior Night! Pilots vs. SCU 2/19 5:30 PM

Post by dholcombe Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Must win if we want any chance of a bye in Vegas. Even then, Santa Clara has to lose another one or we have to win out, including away at St. Mary's which will be a very tough game.

I'm hoping Kramer can play Saturday.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Senior Night!  Pilots vs. SCU  2/19  5:30 PM Empty Senior Night: SCU @ Portland, Saturday 5:30pm

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 am

Note the 5:30pm tip off time... Senior Night festivities start 15 minutes prior to tip-off.

Thank you Jared, Luke, Kramer & Jasonn!

WCC Standings on the Line When UP hosts Santa Clara
TV: CSN NW
Portland (18-9, 5-6 WCC) vs Santa Clara (16-12, 6-5)
February 19, 2011 • 5:30 PM • Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center - 4,852)
Radio: 800 AM (KPDQ)
Live Audio/Stats: PortlandPilots.com
Series: SCU leads 55-26
Last Meeting: SCU 72, UP 59 (1/22/11 at SCU)

This Week in Pilots Hoops…
The Portland Pilots will take on Santa Clara on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. in the regular season home finale. Portland’s four seniors will be recognized 10 minutes prior to tipoff with a Senior Night presentation. The Pilots (18-9, 5-6 WCC) dropped an 82-73 decision to San Francisco on Thursday, while the Broncos (16-12, 6-5) lost 85-76 at Gonzaga.

Ticket Information
Tickets for all Portland home games are available through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com, over the phone at (800) 745-3000 or in-person at the Pilot Box Office. The Box Office will also be open one hour before tip-off for walk-up sales.

Game Coverage
Saturday’s game against Santa Clara will be aired on CSN Northwest and CSN Bay Area with Scott Lynn and Dwight Jaynes on the call. All Portland games will be aired live on the radio on 800 AM (KPDQ) with Bill Johnson providing the play-by-play, including a 30-minute pregame show.

Portland Briefly...
• The Pilots dropped just their second game at the Chiles Center this season with Thursday’s 83-72 loss to San Francisco.
• Senior F Luke Sikma scored six points to become the 34th player in school history to score 1,000 points.
• Junior G Nemanja Mitrovic scored a career-high 26 points against the Dons.
• Sikma became the school’s top all-time rebounder last week at Pepperdine, passing Rick Raivio (1976-80, 910) and he now has 938 career rebounds.
• Senior C Kramer Knutson is the Portland career leader in games started (116).
• The Pilots are fourth nationally in team 3-point percentage (.421).
• Junior G Nemanja Mitrovic is No. 3 in the nation in three-point percentage (.483) and senior G Jared Stohl is No. 15 (.440).
• Mitrovic (83) and Stohl (77) have combined to make 160 three-pointers which is the most of any teammate duo in the nation. BYU’s Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery are second with 153.
• UP is No. 21 in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25.
• Portland’s 58 wins over the last three years are the most of any three-year stretch since the Pilots joined Division I for the 1958-59 season.
• Portland is coming off of back-to-back postseason appearances and tied a school record with 21 wins last year. Head coach Eric Reveno welcomes eight newcomers to the roster, including seven true freshmen.

About Santa Clara (16-12, 6-5 WCC)
• The Broncos dropped an 85-76 game at Gonzaga on Thursday and remain alone in fourth place in the WCC standings, one game ahead of the Pilots.
• SCU overcame a 20-point second half deficit to defeat San Diego 60-56 at home on Saturday after a 65-59 loss to No. 23 Saint Mary’s the previous Thursday.
• SCU is led by sophomore Kevin Foster who leads the WCC in scoring (19.5 ppg).
• Junior F Marc Trasolini adds 11.7 ppg and freshman PG Evan Roquemore 11.0 ppg.
• Head coach Kerry Keating is in his fourth year at SCU with a career record of 59-66.
• Santa Clara was picked fourth in the WCC Preseason Coaches Poll.
• The Broncos dealt the Pilots a 72-59 defeat on Jan. 22 in Santa Clara.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Senior Night!  Pilots vs. SCU  2/19  5:30 PM Empty Re: Senior Night! Pilots vs. SCU 2/19 5:30 PM

Post by mattywizz Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Would love to see our all-time leaders in Games Started, Rebounds and Three Pointers made go out with a nice win. Also supposedly an important game with playoff implications.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks for four awesome years, seniors. Great game.

Marks the first time I've ever been yelled at by a ref for playing. I think they were just needing more cowbell.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Marks the first time I've ever been yelled at by a ref for playing.
Don't feel bad about that, the refs were way off their game tonight and were probably just taking their frustrations out on you.

Great win against a tough Santa Clara team tonight. Glad to see the Seniors get a victory in their final home game!
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Yes, because the refs got EVERYTHING correct tonight... my goodness. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Thank you Seniors for 4 great years! How awesome was it for Jasonn to go out with such a performance?! And Luke finishing off with a monster dunk... nice!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:04 pm

They got boo'd off the court at the half.

But the real story was Jasson playing in front of his parents. Great game. His dad had an " eat 'em up Hannibal" shirt on.

Jasonn was the interview for the media at the end, and Rev was standing in back of the camera jumping up and down exhorting the student section to yell during the interview.

Just terrific.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 pm

Something else that was terrific, the students chanting "Hannibal, Hannibal" after he threw down that monster dunk in the 1st half. Loved it!
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Yeah, I'd be interesting in seeing that Hannibal interview if anyone has it DVR'd and can put it on youtube. Rev was also waving his arms up and down at one point in the second half to try to get the crowd into it while the student section was sitting on their hands.

It's good to have a coach thats excited about things.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Seniors Lead Pilots to Crucial Win over Santa Clara

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Senior center Jasonn Hannibal made the most of his first start this season by finishing with a career-high 15 points as the Portland Pilots knocked off the Santa Clara Broncos, 78-68, on Senior Night before 3,820 fans at the Chiles Center. The win moved the Pilots (19-9, 6-6) into a fourth-place tie with the Broncos (16-13, 6-6) in the West Coast Conference standings.

Senior forward Luke Sikma added his league-leading 13th double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds, while senior guard Jared Stohl chipped in 15 points, five rebounds and four assists. Portland’s fourth senior, center Kramer Knutson, missed the game with a back injury.

Redshirt sophomore guard Kevin Foster had a game-high 29 points for the Broncos.

Portland never trailed by more than one point and ran away down the stretch, leading by as much as 17 points late in regulation.

The Pilots shot 51 percent from the field, made 9-of-17 three-pointers and 21-of-24 free throws. Santa Clara was held to 38 percent shooting, 9-of-26 from three-point range and made 13-of-22 free throws. Portland also gained a 35-31 margin in rebounds.

A three-pointer by Nemanja Mitrovic gave Portland an early 30-21 lead, but Foster would hit two threes to close the period - including a 30-foot buzzer beater – to pull the Broncos within 33-30 at the break.

Foster drilled another three to tie the game out of halftime, but Hannibal made a short hook shot at the other end and Sikma followed with a tip-in to put the Pilots up 37-33. An 18-4 run would follow later in the half to create separation and the Pilots made free throws in the closing minutes to secure the win.

Sikma, who is Portland’s all-time leading rebounding and scored his 1,000th career point on Thursday, fouled out with 1:39 remaining and received a standing ovation from the home crowd. Hannibal was interviewed on the court immediately after the game in front of a raucous student section.

The Pilots still have two regular season games remaining with a road trip to San Diego and Saint Mary’s next week. Fourth place in the league standings is critical, because it ensures a first round bye at the WCC Tournament. The Pilots face San Diego on Thursday at 8 p.m. and the Gaels on Saturday at 8 p.m. Both games will be televised live on Comcast SportsNet Northwest.

Newspaper Box Score
Santa Clara vs Portland

02/19/11 5:30 PM at Portland, Ore. {Chiles Center}
At Portland, Ore. {Chiles Center}
PORTLAND 78, SANTA CLARA 68

SANTA CLARA (16-13, 6-6 WCC)
Foster, Kevin 8-20 6-8 29; Roquemore, Evan 5-12 2-5 14; Dowdell, Ben 3-9 4-7
10; Trasolini, Marc 3-9 0-0 6; Payne, Troy 3-5 0-0 6; Santos, Michael 1-2
1-2 3; McArthur, John 0-0 0-0 0; Harrison, Niyi 0-1 0-0 0; Cowels, Raymond
III 0-3 0-0 0. Totals 23-61 13-22 68.

PORTLAND (19-9, 6-6 WCC)
MITROVIC, Nemanja 3-7 6-6 15; STOHL, Jared 4-11 4-4 15; HANNIBAL, Jasonn 6-6
3-5 15; SIKMA, Luke 6-11 1-1 13; DOUGLAS, Tim 2-5 5-6 10; RILEY, Tanner 2-3
0-0 6; RODGERS, Derrick 1-3 2-2 4; NICHOLAS, Ryan 0-1 0-0 0; BARKER, Riley
0-0 0-0 0; WATERFORD, Eric 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 24-47 21-24 78.

Santa Clara................... 30 38 - 68
Portland...................... 33 45 - 78

3-point goals--Santa Clara 9-26 (Foster, Kevin 7-16; Roquemore, Evan 2-4;
Trasolini, Marc 0-3; Cowels, Raymond III 0-3), Portland 9-17 (MITROVIC,
Nemanja 3-6; STOHL, Jared 3-7; RILEY, Tanner 2-2; DOUGLAS, Tim 1-2). Fouled
out--Santa Clara-None, Portland-SIKMA, Luke. Rebounds--Santa Clara 31
(Dowdell, Ben 6), Portland 35 (SIKMA, Luke 11). Assists--Santa Clara 11
(Roquemore, Evan 4), Portland 16 (DOUGLAS, Tim 6). Total fouls--Santa Clara
20, Portland 21. Technical fouls--Santa Clara-None, Portland-None. A-3820

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 am

So great for Jasonn! Great move to start him. Anyone who did not get a chance to read the article about Hannibal in Portland Magazine a few months back should read it. He's a true student athlete...and his musical talents will be missed as well as his basketball.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:13 am

Great game played by all in spite of the numerous turnovers...which the PILOTS can't afford in MORAGA to have a chance against MICKEY & the GAELS.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 am

MesaPilot1 wrote:Great game played by all in spite of the numerous turnovers...which the PILOTS can't afford in MORAGA to have a chance against MICKEY & the GAELS.

If we end up with 5 players in double figures again, win the points off of the fast break stat, out rebound our opponent, and shoot 87% from the free throw line (all things that we did in this game), I personally don't think that the turnovers are going to matter as much... Maybe that's why Rev wasn't so concerned about it in a recent Tweet. To an extent, it's more about style of play.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:So great for Jasonn! Great move to start him. Anyone who did not get a chance to read the article about Hannibal in Portland Magazine a few months back should read it. He's a true student athlete...and his musical talents will be missed as well as his basketball.
Yeah. I know I'll miss having him in the orchestra!
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:19 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:Thanks for four awesome years, seniors. Great game.

Marks the first time I've ever been yelled at by a ref for playing. I think they were just needing more cowbell.
Maybe you were distracting them. I thought Big Game Dave was going to make things better. Twisted Evil

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 am

Luke talks about his inbounds pass to himself off the backside of Dowdell:
One of the key plays in the game came early in the second half under the Portland basket when Sikma in-bounded the ball off the back of Santa Clara’s Ben Dowdell, grabbed the loose ball, scored and was fouled by Dowdell. Sikma made the free throw, giving the Pilots a 40-34 lead with 16:43 to play.

“My legs were shaking,” Sikma said. “Dowdell was standing there and didn’t look, and I guess it must have been the confidence of Senior Night or something, because I just decided to go for it.

“The ball didn’t exactly come off like I wanted it to. It came off to the side, but I was luckily able to get it and put it in. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing.”

And, no, Sikma said he didn’t learn that play from his dad.

“It was in the movie ‘Like Mike’ with Little Bow Wow,” Sikma said. “Little Bow Wow goes to the NBA and throws the ball off Jason Kidd’s back. So, I wasn’t actually thinking of that as I was throwing it in. Not a great movie, but I decided to go for it.”

LINK from oregonlive.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:12 am

A reference to "Like Mike" gotta love it. Morris Chestnut was spectacular as the basketball star who turned out to have a heart of gold.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:47 am

mattywizz wrote:A reference to "Like Mike" gotta love it. Morris Chestnut was spectacular as the basketball star who turned out to have a heart of gold.

Wow, now that reference makes me feel old. Instead of saying that he saw Pippen do it in the NBA Finals, he originally saw the play in "Like Mike"? Really? (The Finals was the first time I can remember anyone doing that play...but, maybe it's been around longer than that...) For Luke, the play now comes from "Like Mike." Hahaha... I definitely give Sikma props for creativity and being able to draw a foul on the play as well. Very cool.

This was the Pippen off of Ainge play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhwSGU7T8Vw
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down