Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012-13 schedule

+7
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
blacksheep
pilotram
DoubleDipper
PurplePrideTrumpet
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2012-13 schedule - Page 2 Empty Re: 2012-13 schedule

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Of the 15 regular season conference games on the ESPN networks, only 1 (USF @ SCU on 1/2) does not involve BYU, Gonzaga, or Saint Mary's.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Yea, BYU, GU, and SMC are recognized by audiences nationally, and as it's usually all about ratings and advertisers.........

The USF v SCU rivalry is pretty big in the San Francisco and South Bay Area, but I think ESPN must be counting on both teams having a bit of a breakout during the preseason (along with some sports writers) to show them nationally at the start of WCC play.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm

New shoes for 2012-13, baby! If you're gonna represent the Pilots, ya gotta love purple! bounce

2012-13 schedule - Page 2 New_sh10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:47 pm

I hope that lots of students try to go out for the pre-conference games this year, but I was looking at the schedule and realized that there are hardly any games on Fridays or Saturdays. Besides both the exhibitions against the Concordias on Saturdays, there is only the Portland Bible College game on a Friday (in a double header with the women) but that is the Friday after finals are done and students are REQUIRED to have gone home by noon that day. Otherwise, the games fall in line like this before the semester is over:

Day___________Number of Games
Monday.................0
Tuesday................2
Wednesday............1
Thursday...............1
Friday....................0

Like I said, I hope students come out. I'm waiting. . .

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:02 am

Greg Crawford from ComcastSportsNetwork threw out a challenge this morning to both UP and PSU:
Crawford's Challenge---It might seem early, but I am throwing out a challenge to two athletic directors in my hometown of Portland, Oregon.

No one can dispute the fact that Torre Chisholm has done a wonderful job as AD at Portland State, not an easy place to run an athletic program. I also feel that new athletic director at U of Portland, Scott Leykam will do great things at the North Portland school.

But the pressure is on both of you, when Greg Crawford throws out a challenge. To both men, please sellout a couple of games this coming season.

Portland State, you must sellout the December 12th game in Stott Center against Oregon State, that is a must. It might be the last time ever the Beavers will play in Portland in the Stott Center and this game should be sold out right now, let alone game time. It would be an embarrassment if the game is not sold out.

As for the Pilots, on December 4th UNLV will come to Chiles Center and Pilots, sell this game out. UNLV could easily be a final four team this season, not to mention on their team is Mike Moser, one of the best players ever to play for Grant High School in Portland. It is time for the Pilots to stop thinking about just getting big crowds for Gonzaga and BYU.

As matter of fact, considering the Stott Center seats 1,500 and Chiles Center 4,800, it is not unrealistic to think that at both schools could easily sellout the entire season.

And in case you think that is unrealistic, I suggest you read all the books written by Jon Spoelstra, father of Erik. Spoelstra is the genius behind sellouts in multiple sports on all levels. I agree with CSNNW.com's Dwight Jaynes who has often talked and written about the fact we think too small in Portland, Oregon when it comes to sports. It is about time someone rocked the boat, perhaps it can start with the Pilots and Vikings in basketball.

My challenge to both schools, think SELLOUT. Not that tough to accomplish, after all Portland and SW Washington has a huge population and legitimate basketball fans.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Greg forgot to include where we can buy a magical sellout wand... While I agree that that game SHOULD be sellout, its easier said than done. (Especially smack dab in finals...)

I mean if we had been a winning team in the sense of deep playoff runs and making the tourney a few times, and STILL weren't drawing fans? I'd get the frustration... But we haven't gotten there yet, and drawing people out to NOPO is easier said than done
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:19 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Greg forgot to include where we can buy a magical sellout wand... While I agree that that game SHOULD be sellout, it’s easier said than done. (Especially smack dab in finals...)
I totally agree with your assessment. When theChiles Center is full, it is almost always because of the competition, not the Pilots. It will be this way forever unless UP has a team that is competitive, on a roll, and has a chance to beat a good team.

I recall the sellout when Santa Clara and Steve Nash were in town in 1995. Steve was the best player in the WCC and the Pilots were in the midst of 18 game home winning streak (12/94-1/96), and fans were excited to see the UP/SCU matchup....not just Steve Nash. UP freshman Dionn Holton had the place rocking with his trademark slapping of the hardwood with both hands and his lockdown defense on Nash. Dionn and Doc Metoyer limited Nash to something like 7 points, when he averaged almost 21 for the season, and the Pilots won a “shocker” 72-49.

Note: The 94-95 Pilots won 21 games, were 10-4 in WCC, never lost more than 2 games in a row (once) and were 13-1 at home. The win over SCU was UP’s sixth in a row, and made them 4-0 to start conference play.

That season made many of us believe UP can play exciting, winning basketball. But until we again play sustained competitive basketball we will not see a sellout at the Chiles Center except when fans come to see the opponent….just saying.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Always hate to see players dismissed from any team. Today our December 1st opponent, Washington State, announced that PG senior Reggie Moore has been dismissed for violation of team rules. He would have been one of the very best PGs in the Pac12. A Washington guy, he spent a post high school year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire…..a school that Rev visited just last week while on the recruiting trail.

Ken Bone and WSU clamped down on their best player? Man, he must have done something REALY bad!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 pm

.. Or it's not in Ken Bone's hands. I suspect he is on a short leash there after his PSU tenure.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Geez is a lot closer to the truth than not I believe.

DD, this wasnt Reggie's first violation, in fact it wasnt even his second. The fact he was dismissed is sad as it would be for any player but he had his opportunities.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:21 pm

He was previously suspended after a December 2011 misdemeanor drug arrest.

http://www.krem.com/home/Police-WSUs-Reggie-Moore-caught-with-marijuana-112977664.

Moore had some previous off the court issues at WSU. On Dec. 11, 2010, he was cited by the WSU Police Department for possession of marijuana (less than 40 grams) and drug paraphernalia, both misdemeanors. A little less than a month later, on Jan. 5 he was arrested on a Whitman County Prosecutor's Office summons.

The suspension lasted 13 days, during which he missed no pac12 games.

Compare to the one year suspension for Josh Heytvelt.
I'd say Ken Bone used up his chits protecting him last time.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 am

Can Wazzu get The Game back? Pretty sure he still has eligibility.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am

oldtimer wrote:Geez is a lot closer to the truth than not I believe.

DD, this wasnt Reggie's first violation, in fact it wasnt even his second. The fact he was dismissed is sad as it would be for any player but he had his opportunities.
Agree with the first point, and regarding the second, I didn’t know that…..have to admit, I don’t follow the police blotter for college players. Rolling Eyes

But there does seems to be a trend toward talented young people wasting their god-given gifts and blowing their opportunities to represent their school, take advantage of a free education, and possibly advance to play professionally.

There have been other dismissals this offseason at Harvard, Xavier, LIU-Brooklyn….It is sure there will be more.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Geez is a lot closer to the truth than not I believe.

Agree with the first point, and regarding the second, I didn’t know that…..have to admit, I don’t follow the police blotter for college players. Rolling Eyes

But there does seems to be a trend toward talented young people wasting their god-given gifts and blowing their opportunities to represent their school, take advantage of a free education, and possibly advance to play professionally.

There have been other dismissals this offseason at Harvard, Xavier, LIU-Brooklyn….It is sure there will be more.

I have to admit I am a bit of a news fanatic, I truly enjoy reading about the success stories of our society (and sports specifically), however it seems that the negative always earns more bold print.
I dont know if its more of a recent trend or perhaps due to the social media we live with today but its hard to keep the things these athletes do to get in trouble out of the spotlight. In my day there were infractions of course, but it seemed schools and coaches handled things internally and rarely did they make headlines. Either way DD I am with you, I dont know why kids are throwing away their opportunities with stupid things like drugs and violence. I also dont have the answer but the old adage of "kids will be kids" seems to fall a bit short in explanation.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 am

OT I think you are on to something there as to the need for disclosure by the university...

That with the crackdowns on this kind of behavior (and academics to some extent) by the NCAA and the social media/24 hour news cycle infiltration, it isn't that it happens more often, just that we are made aware of it every time it does. Sweeping under the rug just isn't as effective as it used to be.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 am

UP wins the preseason WCC “toughness” of schedule award!

ESPN is covering the non-league schedules of all the D-1 conferences and rating each team’s toughness of schedule….UP got a 10/10.
PORTLAND

Toughest: UNLV (Dec. 4), at Kentucky (Dec. eighth), at New Mexico (Nov. 25)
Next-toughest: at Ohio (Nov. 10), at Washington State (Dec. 1), Las Vegas Classic (Dec. 22-23)
The rest: Idaho State (Nov. 15), at Montana State (Nov. 18), Portland State (Nov. 21), Lewis & Clark (Nov. 27), Portland Bible College (Dec. 14), CSU Bakersfield (Dec. 17), North Florida (Dec. 19), Texas Pan-American (Dec. 29)

Toughness scale (1-10): 10 -- Now, this is more like it. Portland, a team that finished 3-13 in the WCC last season, will get paid to play the reigning national champion (Kentucky, in case you hadn’t heard), will lure a Top 25 squad (UNLV) to the Chiles Center, and will compete against plenty of other big-time opponents (Colorado State in the Las Vegas Classic, Ohio, Washington State and New Mexico on the road). That Dec. 14 matchup against Portland Bible College certainly doesn’t define the Pilots’ nonconference matchups. Memo to other schools in a similar position: Nothing wrong with a Hail Mary or two in nonconference scheduling.
This is how the rest of the WCC teams' schedules look:

BYU: 9
GU: 9
LMU: 7
PU: 3
SMC: 5
USD: 7
USF: 7
SCU: 7

You can read the article here:

Nonconference schedule analysis: WCC
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 am

Wait, I thought we were supposed to have a "more reasonable schedule" this year?

Whoops.... I guess you have to commend the departments ability to work out deals to maximize challenge (and theoretically exposure for the program) but yeesh, we still have to win the games to make that scheduling worth anything as far as recognition. (Although I suppose the fearlessness doesn't hurt when talking with recruits.)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm

I think the schedule is definitely more reasonable this year. There is still the same focus on playing several top-notch opponents (UK, UNLV, CSU, NM, Ohio), but there are also more clearly winnable games to go along with those tough tests (ISU, MSU, PSU, North Florida, etc). I'm hopeful that we'll have at least 4 or 5 non-conference wins against D-I opponents (any more than that would still be a pleasent surprise, for me), as opposed to 2 last year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm

From the UP Athletic Dept and Alumni Relations today:
The University of Portland Athletic Department and the Office of Alumni Relations have announced a pair of Young Alumni Nights to be held during the 2012-13 men’s basketball season. The events will include a pre-game social along with complimentary food and beverages in the Chiles Center. The first event will be on Wednesday, Nov. 21 versus Portland State, and the other will be on Thursday, Jan. 24 versus San Francisco. Both games tip-off at 7 p.m.

Pre-game socials will begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be hosted in a special section on the upper mezzanine. Food, beverages (including alchohol), game tickets, as well as a VIP private section to watch the game from on the upper level (brand new this year) are inclusive in the package! Ticket prices for a single game with the pre-game social $22, but young alumni can secure a spot to both games for a total of $30.

Please RSVP to Andy Sherwood in the Office of Alumni Relations at sherwood@up.edu or (503) 943-8327. RSVP deadline for the Nov. 21 game is Monday, Nov. 19 at 3 p.m.
If you YOUNG alums see Geez and me with our noses pressed against the glass looking in....you might at least offer us a beer. Razz

Wait a minute, isn't that ageism?

2012-13 schedule - Page 2 Age11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Not to mention alumn-ism...

I spend 20 years supporting UP teams and the Pilot Club and some four year whippersnapper who spent all his time in the library stacks and never came to a game gets free food?

Just for that I'm sneaking in my own Pliny
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 pm

The way I hear it, they aren't even hard line about the alum part . . . scratch

Pliny in a flask?

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:25 pm

up7587 wrote:

Pliny in a flask?

The Geez is no amateur, he's going with one of these http://www.thebeerbelly.com/
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:From the UP Athletic Dept and Alumni Relations today:
The University of Portland Athletic Department and the Office of Alumni Relations have announced a pair of Young Alumni Nights to be held during the 2012-13 men’s basketball season. The events will include a pre-game social along with complimentary food and beverages in the Chiles Center. The first event will be on Wednesday, Nov. 21 versus Portland State, and the other will be on Thursday, Jan. 24 versus San Francisco. Both games tip-off at 7 p.m.

Pre-game socials will begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be hosted in a special section on the upper mezzanine. Food, beverages (including alchohol), game tickets, as well as a VIP private section to watch the game from on the upper level (brand new this year) are inclusive in the package! Ticket prices for a single game with the pre-game social $22, but young alumni can secure a spot to both games for a total of $30.

Please RSVP to Andy Sherwood in the Office of Alumni Relations at sherwood@up.edu or (503) 943-8327. RSVP deadline for the Nov. 21 game is Monday, Nov. 19 at 3 p.m.
If you YOUNG alums see Geez and me with our noses pressed against the glass looking in....you might at least offer us a beer. Razz

Wait a minute, isn't that ageism?

2012-13 schedule - Page 2 Age11

No, it's not ageism. You're welcome to pony up the cash for another degree anytime you like to reset your 10 year clock. An MBA maybe, or if you have one of those already, perhaps an education degree? It's somethingism however. This is the last year I qualify for such events and I don't recall them having them until several years after I graduated

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 pm

dholcombe wrote:No, it's not ageism. You're welcome to pony up the cash for another degree anytime you like to reset your 10 year clock. An MBA maybe, or if you have one of those already, perhaps an education degree? It's somethingism however. This is the last year I qualify for such events and I don't recall them having them until several years after I graduated
Oh! So it's RECENT alums? Not YOUNG alums? Cool! Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:47 pm

You are as young as you feel.

Its corollary is