Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 New European Recruits

+2
DoubleDipper
upsailor
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3 New European Recruits - Page 2 Empty Re: 3 New European Recruits

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 am

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:….from an on-court standpoint she’ll be missed next year and her shoes will be difficult to fill.
Is that because they'll be full of sand? clown

Who wants to carry sand to wherever her shoes are anyway? geek
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11839
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by cw80 Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
cw80 wrote:Too much space and attention was given to them, both on and off the court...without regard for the other players...Not to mention of the financial investment of UP....

Holopainen is probably a big loss, but not Nurmi....
I couldn’t disagree more about your assessment of Ellen Nurmi…..one of the best freshmen the Pilots have seen on the Bluff in a number of years.

Ellen was fourth on the team in total scoring and scoring percentage and played all 31 games this season….only one of six players, including Annika Holopainen to do so.

Not a starter, Ellen still played more minutes than any other player except starters Jasmine Wooton and Kari Luttinen, and she had the third best A/TO ratio on the team amongst those with significant minutes.

Finally, I’m told Ellen just missed being selected to the WCC All-Freshman team as selected the coaches.

Ellen was indeed a major part of the Pilot’s upswing that began in December….from an on-court standpoint she’ll be missed next year and her shoes will be difficult to fill.

I respect your opinion, however it does not change my mind. Statistics don't say everything.... Now we need to focus on next season. With players like Cassandra Brown, Kari Luttinen and Cassandra Thompson I am sure the two "super freshmen" will not be missed....

cw80
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm

From PilotOnline.com (a Virginia news outlet):
Annika Holopainen, a 6-2 center from Helsinki, Finland, will transfer to ODU from the University of Portland in Washington. Holopainen was a member of the West Coast Conference all-freshman team and averaged 9.6 points and 3.3 rebounds, making 31 percent of her 3-point shots.

Holopainen will sit out next season under NCAA transfer rules.
Well, now I’m confused, is the University of Portland in Washington state, or in Washington D.C.? Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11457
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 am

Apparently if your Dominion is Old you need learn nothing of geography . . .

Is Nurmi going to another D1 school or is she headed home?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 11, 2013 10:32 pm

wrv wrote:Is Nurmi going to another D1 school or is she headed home?
I spoke to Ellen about a week before finals, and all she could focus on was finishing the school year and getting back to Finland.

She was not specific in her comments, but wouldn't rule out playing somewhere in the US again. It was obvious she was really looking forward to the comfort level of being home with friends and family after almost 9 months away.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11457
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2