Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Season. What, already?

+19
The Real O-H-I-O
oh brody
Stonehouse
DJ Sherman
dholcombe
mattywizz
bballguy
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
onetouchfutbol
DaTruRochin
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless!
PilotNut
pilotram
blacksheep
oldtimer
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
23 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Empty Re: Next Season. What, already?

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Didn't the coaching staff say it wanted to have a less-challenging non-conference schedule this season?
Well, it was reported almost two months ago that we’ll be playing Cal State Bakersfield and North Florida…..two teams with abilities closely aligned with ours. And if I can read between the lines of some tweets, blogs, and forums, it would appear we’ll again be playing Portland St. beginning this year.

What you saw in my earlier post were four out of a possible 14 non-league D-1 games plus two exhibitions plus the already reported two games in the Las Vegas Classic against either Colorado St., Bradley, or Virginia Tech just before Christmas. Oh yea, and I think we probably have another away portion of the WSU series to play (I believe we’re done with UW, Nevada, and St. Louis for awhile), but I think the overall schedule will be a slightly less challenging than last year.

We should remember, Ohio U, UK, and (probably) WSU were already scheduled from previous years, but I will admit, the addition of UNLV and UNM, in addition to the Las Vegas Classic, will be challenging. I think we should all realize these tough ones are the games the players (and recruits) absolutely love!

I’m hoping the Classic in the Orleans Arena will give us a slight leg up for the WCC Tournament a little over two months later.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
I’m hoping the Classic in the Orleans Arena will give us a slight leg up for the WCC Tournament a little over two months later.

You mean like how to use the slippery center court logo to our strategic advantage like Bob Cousy and the leprechaun dead spots?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Pretty sure UNM returns a crew next year, so that will be tough. Plus, they have Hugh Greenwood.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:You mean like how to use the slippery center court logo to our strategic advantage like Bob Cousy and the leprechaun dead spots?
I'm quite sure you only know of those dead spots from reading your New England history. I, on the other hand, have actually seen them (or was at least told I was looking at them), but I was never sure if they were LEPRECHAUN GREEN on my 24" black and white TV on the west coast. Razz

PS; Speaking of leprechauns, I saw my hero Bill Russell at SEATAC a couple of weeks ago as we both waited for our flights. I've met him before, but as he'd been such a recluse for so many years, I was taken aback that he actually settled back for a chat with me about growing up in Oakland (we went to rival high schools about 10 years apart), and his earning or the Presidential Medal of Freedom presented last year by President Obama. He appeared very pleased with that award because it had very little to do with basketball, and had very much to do with his work with the Civil Rights Movement. He still comes across as a bit of a grouch, but at least there was a twinkle in the leprechaun’s eyes.
Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Bill_r10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:29 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:11/10 UP @ Ohio
11/25 UP @ New Mexico
12/4 UNLV @ UP
12/8 UP @ Kentucky
If the Pilots are ever good enough to be in contention for an at-large tournament bid, this aggressive non-conference scheduling is going to be a huge asset! However, given that we are several years away (at best) from being that good, this seems dangerous. Didn't the coaching staff say it wanted to have a less-challenging non-conference schedule this season?

With Rev at the helm, I think that in time we will be good enough for an at large bid. We´re clearly rebuilding a little bit, but, he continues to insist that last years´freshman class will become one of our best ever. That means our turnovers are going to have to go down, and Kevin Bailey needs to be as good as advertized...and hopefully no one transfers. Having the new point guard come in and shake things up, won´t hurt either...

This season might be Rev´s biggest challenge as a coach. I think there´s some pressure on him not to have 2 losing seasons in a row...and show that we are a program that reloads more often than it rebuilds.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:We should remember, Ohio U, UK, and (probably) WSU were already scheduled from previous years, but I will admit, the addition of UNLV and UNM, in addition to the Las Vegas Classic, will be challenging. I think we should all realize these tough ones are the games the players (and recruits) absolutely love!
This is a really important point. Playing these tough non-conference games puts us at a higher profile with recruits, and with fans/journalists/bloggers/observers around the country. Long Beach State has used this strategy to gain some traction in recent years.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote: Long Beach State has used this strategy to gain some traction in recent years.
Speaking of Long Beach State.....can we get unis that say "The Bluff"?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Here is a link discussing the NCAA recent ruling to ban temporary logos on neutral courts for events such as tournament games.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/blogs/phillip-morgan/byu/ncaa-approves-basketball-court-surface-rule/article_f7eb7bda-b58c-11e1-9d4d-0019bb2963f4.html

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Empty Keeping the Poker Theme

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm

pilotram wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote: Long Beach State has used this strategy to gain some traction in recent years.
Speaking of Long Beach State.....can we get unis that say "The Bluff"?
Well, year before last marketing used poker theme "All-In" to promote the team. Somehow The Bluff on the uniforms, might take on that same theme.
Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Bluff_10

But, taking it one step further, I agree with the theme of this book.........

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 The_bl10

Wait, is that D.B. Cooper?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07 pm

oldtimer wrote:Here is a link discussing the NCAA recent ruling to ban temporary logos on neutral courts for events such as tournament games. http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/blogs/phillip-morgan/byu/ncaa-approves-basketball-court-surface-rule/article_f7eb7bda-b58c-11e1-9d4d-0019bb2963f4.html
From the same article (edited):
Basketball committee members believe the following behaviors hurt the image of the game and should result in a technical foul against the coach or other bench personnel:

• Comments directed at or referring to any game official that question the integrity of an official (repeated references to the number of fouls called against each team; suggesting an official is “cheating” a team, etc.).

• Prolonged, negative responses to a call/no-call that are disrespectful or unprofessional, including waving or thrashing the arms in disgust, dramatizing contact by re-enacting the play, or running or jumping “in disbelief” over a call/non-call.

• A negative response to a call/no-call that includes approaching/charging an official in a hostile, aggressive or otherwise threatening manner, emphatically removing one’s coat in response to a call/no-call, or throwing equipment or clothing on to the floor.

• Continual criticism during a game regarding the same incident after being warned by an official.
Committee members understand there will be spontaneous reactions to calls, but the effort is intended to improve the game environment.
It would seem USF’s Rex Walter may have some difficulty avoiding “fouling out” if some of these rules are adopted. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 am

It will be curious how tightly the officials will call the new "histrionics" rules... (Hahaha it would be curious how many T's our old frield Rony Turiaf would have picked up a few years back.)

And ugh... You getting to sit and chat with Bill Russel by far tops my brief encounter with Doc Rivers a few months back at Starbucks. (Although Doc does seem far more amiable.)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:12 am

DaTruRochin wrote:It will be curious how tightly the officials will call the new "histrionics" rules... (Hahaha it would be curious how many T's our old frield Rony Turiaf would have picked up a few years back.)

And ugh... You getting to sit and chat with Bill Russel by far tops my brief encounter with Doc Rivers a few months back at Starbucks. (Although Doc does seem far more amiable.)

I wonder what the betting line is on coach K getting T'd up. I can't think of anyone who gets away with working the refs more.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 am

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA, Coach K getting the same treatment as every other coach, HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Thats like saying my beloved Sir Alex doesn't get any leeway with his post match commentary...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Empty Summer Time, and the Living is Easy

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Well, I guess it's not quite next season yet, but as you can see, Rev and the boys are enjoying a late spring day in Portland as part of the preparation (taken today):
Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Summer10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Well, I guess it's not quite next season yet, but as you can see, Rev and the boys are enjoying a late spring day in Portland as part of the preparation (taken today):

I guess that´s one way to put some meat on Barker´s bones... Are they at Rock Bottom...or is that some other place?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:00 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Well, I guess it's not quite next season yet, but as you can see, Rev and the boys are enjoying a late spring day in Portland as part of the preparation (taken today):

I guess that´s one way to put some meat on Barker´s bones... Are they at Rock Bottom...or is that some other place?

Looks like On Deck.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:29 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Looks like On Deck.
Hmmm, you DO know your sports bars. Surprised anyone has seen the outside of On Deck before........isn't it always cold and rainy when you go there! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 pm

CBSports has been doing previews of various conferences just to keep us interested. After reviewing their other reports, I can tell you the WCC is very stable in comparison (well, except maybe USF Razz )

All tournament and non-conference games and dates listed for UP have already been reported on PN!

BRIGHAM YOUNG
Staff changes: None
Preseason tournament: Coaches vs. Cancer (NY)
Non-conference games: 12-29 vs. Virginia Tech; 12-21 at Baylor
Trips: None
Transfers: IN -- None; OUT -- None
Sat out: Tyler Haws (mission); Ian Harward (redshirt); Chris Collinsworth (knee injury)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GONZAGA
Preseason tournament: Old Spice Classic
Non-conference games: 11-12 vs. West Virginia 12-28 vs. Baylor; 12-8 vs. Illinois; 1-19 at Butler; 12-31 at Oklahoma State; 12-5 at Washington State; 12-15 vs. Kansas State in Seattle
Transfers: IN -- Gerard Coleman (Providence); Drew Barham (Memphis); OUT -- Mathis Keita (Indiana University-Pa.); Ryan Spangler (Oklahoma)
Sat out: Kelly Olynyk (redshirt); Kyle Dranginis (redshirt)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
Preseason tournament: Great Alaska Shootout
Non-conference games: 11-11 at SMU; 12-19 vs. Mississippi; 12-22 at Saint Louis
Transfers: IN -- Ben Dickinson (Binghamton); OUT -- Jared DuBois (Utah)
Sat out: None

PEPPERDINE
Staff changes: Jason Hart replaces Damin Lopez (high school job in Scottsdale).
Preseason tournament: Tulane Exempt Event (12-19/20); also includes UT Pan American, Alabama State
Non-conference games: 11-13 at Cal; 11-16 vs. Washington State; 12-8 at Hawaii
Transfers: IN -- Brendan Lane (UCLA); OUT -- Hector Harold (Vermont); Joshua Lowery (Grand Canyon); Ramon Eaton (New Mexico JC)
Sat out: Lorne Jackson (knee); Jan Maehlen (injuries); Moriba de Freitas (knee)

PORTLAND
Staff changes: Colin Pfaff was promoted to assistant coaches and takes the spot vacated by Joel Sobotka (high school head coach/athletic director).
Preseason tournament: Preseason Tournament: Las Vegas Classic
Non-conference games: 12-18 at Kentucky; 12-4 vs. UNLV; 11-25 at New Mexico; 12-1 at Washington State; 11-10 at Ohio
Transfers: IN -- None; OUT -- Tim Douglas (Portland State)
Sat out: Riley Barker (injured)

SAN DIEGO
Preseason tournament: Hosting Exempt with Northern Kentucky, Cal State Northridge, Siena and Tulsa
Non-conference games: 12-15 at at San Diego State; 11-26 at Montana; 12-8 vs. Tulane
Sat out: None

SAN FRANCISCO
Staff changes: Luke Wicks (video coordinator) and Jack Kennedy (director of operations) were both promoted to assistants. Nick Whitmore takes Wicks' spot. Danny Yoshikawa left to pursue other opportunities and Justin Bauman went to Tulsa as an assistant.
Preseason tournament: Diamond Head Classic; Will Host Hilltop Challenge (Teams TBD)
Non-conference games: 11-9 vs. Stanford at Oracle Arena; 12-4 vs. St. John's; 12-15 at Nevada; 12-30 vs. Montana
Trips: Cancun (Aug. 12-16)
Transfers: IN -- D'End Parker (UCLA); Matt Glover (Penn State); OUT -- Perris Blackwell (Washington); Michael Williams (Cal State Fullerton); Charles Standifer (junior college)); Justin Raffington (FAU(; Avery Johnson (UC Davis); Khalil Murphy
Sat out: Mark Tollefsen (redshirt)

SANTA CLARA
Preseason tournament: CBE Classic; host Cable Car Classic (12-21/22) with SMU, Columbia and TBD
Non-conference games: 12-29 at Duke; 11-14 at Saint Louis; 11-28 vs. Utah State
Sat out: Kevin Foster (suspension); Marc Trasolini (ACL); Kalim York (redshirt)

ST. MARY'S
Preseason tournament: Anaheim Classic
Non-conference games: 12-31 vs. Harvard; 12-22 at Northern Iowa; 11-15 at Utah State
Transfers: IN -- Garrett Jackson (USC) ; OUT -- None
Sat out: Paul McCoy (knee); Matt Hodgson (Southern Utah)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Empty The Four Freshmen......but can they sing?

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Decided it was time to move our Four Freshmen from the "Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?" thread to the "next season" thread as a way of welcoming them as students on the Bluff.

It was exactly 50 years ago that DoubleDipper moved into his dorm room in what was then Holy Cross Hall (now Kenna). My hope is these young lads enjoy their time on the Bluff as much as I did (including my "academic" redshirt year).

Next Season.  What, already? - Page 2 Four_f10

L-R Bryce, Oskars, David, Jake
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm

That non conference schedule looks tough. But, I feel like that was the kind of schedule we had a few years ago when we managed to upset UCLA and Minnesota in the Anaheim Classic with no seniors on the team. I look forward to it personally. Players want to play those games.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:08 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:That non conference schedule looks tough. But, I feel like that was the kind of schedule we had a few years ago when we managed to upset UCLA and Minnesota in the Anaheim Classic with no seniors on the team. I look forward to it personally. Players want to play those games.
Agreed! Fortunately we balance these out with a few non-conference games against lower-profile opponents, too.

And there are some more non-conference home games, in addition to UNLV, which we didn't have too many of last season. The Portland State game will be at Chiles, right? And also Cal State Bakersfield and North Florida.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Fortunately we balance these out with a few non-conference games against lower-profile opponents, too.
And there are some more non-conference home games, in addition to UNLV, which we didn't have too many of last season. The Portland State game will be at Chiles, right? And also Cal State Bakersfield and North Florida.
Yup, and probably the two Concordia schools again (Concordia Irvine is still very good, and CP can be dangerous if the guys overlook them), plus at least two more non-conference games at home and one on the road, I'd guess.

With winter break running from Dec 13 to Jan 14, I'd also guess that we'll play at least six games at home without the students. But with some good marketing and planning, we should be able to get some very loud elementary and middle-school students in the Chiles Center along with all the neighbors that are invited to these games. (There is apparently a problem with inviting high school students; something to do with them ALL being potential recruits, and the NCAA not allowing UP to give them anything FREE Rolling Eyes ). I have been to many games where the young kids are much better fans from a noise standpoint than the UP students.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Is the game at Ohio going to be the first non-exhibition contest of the season? The CBS story has that on November 10.

I hope we don't play Lewis & Clark or some other non-Division I school for a regular season game this year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:22 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Is the game at Ohio going to be the first non-exhibition contest of the season? The CBS story has that on November 10.

I hope we don't play Lewis & Clark or some other non-Division I school for a regular season game this year.
Um, just guessing, but I think you'll be disappointed on both counts.

Ohio IS probably first, and I think we'll see one or two non-D-1games this year. Rev has said there's a fine line between tough and too tough a schedule.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:13 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Ohio IS probably first, and I think we'll see one or two non-D-1games this year. Rev has said there's a fine line between tough and too tough a schedule.
There are plenty of D-I teams out there that we have a real opportunity to compete with and beat. I'd rather see us play a couple more games against Big Sky, WAC or Big West teams than fill in the schedule with D-II and D-III teams.

Sure, let's play a couple of D-II or NAIA teams as exhibitions, but then when the regular season starts we should be playing teams at our own level. We should start playing Pacific now in advance of them joining the conference. Idaho, Idaho State, Eastern Washington, Montana State, other UC and Cal State schools, Seattle U...

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next