Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season tickets up 50% in a year?

+4
DoubleDipper
dholcombe
StudentPilot
bobtcat2
8 posters

Go down

Season tickets up 50% in a year? Empty Season tickets up 50% in a year?

Post by bobtcat2 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:13 pm

What was the reasoning behind this? I didn't renew and know a few others who also didn't. The product on the court was awful last year and shouldn't be any better this year, who raises by 50% in that scenario?

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Season tickets up 50% in a year? Empty Re: Season tickets up 50% in a year?

Post by StudentPilot Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Well, we really haven't missed you, but thank you for giving up your seat, bc2, I've heard there's been quite a rush to get season tickets this year to watch a great group of guys.

As I recall you've always been a hater when it comes to Pilots Basketball, so it's just as well that someone who enjoys watching UP play is now in your seat!

Obviously PSU is very good this year,  I suggest you head on over to Lewis & Clark (their temporary home) and watch them play this season..  I'm sure you'll have a much better time there, and we won't have to read your unfailingly ignorant posts about UP basketball.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:40 pm

My tickets were the same as last year... So...

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm

dholcombe wrote:My tickets were the same as last year... So...
Haha, you made me dig out my receipt, and I found my season tickets also cost the same as last year, and we even got a nice discount when we bought two additional tickets.

Looks to be just more disinformation (fake news?) planted on PN to me....good response StudentPilot!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 am

Wasn't the same price as last year a promotion to encourage early renewal?

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
dholcombe wrote:My tickets were the same as last year... So...

Looks to be just more disinformation (fake news?) planted on PN to me....good response StudentPilot!

I guess on this board it matters who is being rude before something is said about it.

While I in no way endorse the comments of Bobcat, and they appear misplaced and seem to assume incorrect facts, the initial response was over the top and unnecessary.

But I have also heard that many have renewed their tickets and that there is no lag in season ticket purchases. I suspect, without knowing, that there have been an increase in season ticket sales.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Season tickets up 50% in a year? Empty Season Tickets Up 50%

Post by bullwinkle Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 am

Sorry to see you go Bobcat. I agree, last year was frustrating, but this year is nothing like it. The PSU game last week was a good example of the transformation. Last year we got run out of the gym. Last year, after getting over my frustration with how bad the Pilots were playing, I found myself admiring PSU and how fun they were to watch in a smooth fast paced game. This year was pretty much the same PSU team, but the Pilots were their equal. I admired both teams. Last year we were lost without Alex. This year we have at least three point guards and it's hard to tell which one is best - they're all great. The entire team has so much potential. And Phil - this may very well be his team this year. He is the center we've all been looking for. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a sweeping change in one season in a player. After Alex went down last year I approached each game with a sense of dread (until they discovered Hallinan at the end of the season). It's hard to know what our record will be this year, but it will exciting to watch.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 am

bullwinkle wrote:Sorry to see you go Bobcat.  I agree, last year was frustrating, but this year is nothing like it.  The PSU game last week was a good example of the transformation.  Last year we got run out of the gym.  Last year, after getting over my frustration with how bad the Pilots were playing, I found myself admiring PSU and how fun they were to watch in a smooth fast paced game.  This year was pretty much the same PSU team, but the Pilots were their equal.  I admired both teams.  Last year we were lost without Alex.  This year we have at least three point guards and it's hard to tell which one is best - they're all great.  The entire team has so much potential.  And Phil - this may very well be his team this year.  He is the center we've all been looking for.  I'm not sure I've ever seen such a sweeping change in one season in a player.  After Alex went down last year I approached each game with a sense of dread (until they discovered Hallinan at the end of the season).  It's hard to know what our record will be this year, but it will exciting to watch.  

Now that is a good response.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 am

wrv wrote:Now that is a good response.
I agree, an excellent post that sums up what most of us feel about our current MBB team....although it did not address the bc2 disinformation about inflated ticket prices...the topic of this thread.

But it did include a mention of "Hallinan at the end of the season."

I saw Xavier a week ago, and he told me he quit Cal State Dominguez Hills in a dispute over the number of years it would take to graduate there.  I can't recall what major he planned on there, but apparently he was told he would likely have a scholarship to play two years of basketball, but it would take him three years to graduate.

"X" indicated he would enroll at UP for second semester (mid-January) and would like to walk-on the MBB team in mid-December (after the first semester ends) to use his redshirt year while being a practice player as a means of helping his game and that of the guys he'll practice against.  (X's tuition is essentially free as his mom is a UP employee).

I don't know if those plans have changed, but I told him I thought he could be a practice player and NOT use his redshirt year while looking forward to playing for another school on a scholarship for the 18-19 season. Seems to me if you're not on the roster, but you simply practice with the team there should be no NCAA obligation....but as we've all seen, the NCAA rules in mysterious, if not crazy, ways at times.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am

DD, get on the case. We need answers.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

up7587 wrote:DD, get on the case. We need answers.
Most, if not all, of what SP posted is correct....but as Geezer is our resident NCAA rules chairman, I hate to get too far into his area of expertise....that would be just plain rude!  pale

Last I spoke to X was over a month ago, and yes, he plans to come back to UP and hopes to join the team in mid-December and start classes in mid-January, but I do not know his latest up-to-date plans, nor do I know all the official NCAA rules that might influence his decision.

I do know this, the UP MBB team could really use his experience and passion in practice.  Also, as he will be transferring from D2 to D1 he will have to sit, but whether it will be for a full year is unclear.  He did not play at CSDH, and I don't think he ever attended classes, but he was enrolled at CSDH and practiced with the team.

So, just like any transfer to D1 (except a grad transfer) he can practice with the team, but he cannot play....just like Crisshawn, except that Crisshawn will be eligible to play at the beginning of next season and it may be mid-December 2018 before X is eligible because of his late transfer.

If X were to enroll and practice at UP, and then again transfer to a another non-D1 school, I believe he would be immediately eligible to play for two years as there is no requirement to sit when dropping down from D1....just going up to D1.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Don't look at me for a rules interpretation. Transferring out of D1 to another division and back ( not JC) has so many variables I wouldn't know where to start.

Did he attend class? Was he give any money? Does he know anybody on the eligibility committee? scratch

Now that it's ok to committ 18 years of academic fraud without punishment, who knows what the rules are, and if they are different for P5's and mid majors.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:43 am

The NC State issue with Braxton Beverley proved that all you need to get the NCAA to back down are lawyers.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Since lawyers ain't cheap, and he gets an education anyway, I'm guessing that's not a path to a solution.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:14 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Since lawyers ain't cheap, and he gets an education anyway, I'm guessing that's not a path to a solution.

Last year I purchased a season ticket for $88.  This year I was sent an offer to buy a season ticket for $132.  I guess I am the only one to whom this applied, so they apparently wanted to part ways.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:26 am

Sounds like they raised GA season tickets which is not a thing I keep track of. I don't think, but don't have numbers, they sell a lot of GA season tickets. I know when I had upper level sideline tickets (the mid price option) there were very few of us as season ticket holders. I did notice they significantly raised prices on extra Gonzaga individual tickets to $50 for non-bleacher seats and that at the moment the lower level is sold out. You can get the upper level in a mini pack for $125 or bleacher seats in a mini pack for $105. If they can sell a 5 game mini pack of Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, San Francisco and Pacific for 105... Then yeah maybe it was time to raise season ticket prices on the cheap seats.

Single games for the games not likely to sell out are $10... Or you can get 10 for $75 which would get you into pretty much every game except BYU and Gonzaga if you also skipped the non division 1 games.... So the answer seems to be... They can get more money for those seats, specifically for the BYU and Gonzaga games and that is likely what pushed prices up as you could go to the other 10 D1 (9 left)  home games this year for a grand total of $75.

Last edited by dholcombe on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:24 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : So many typos from autocorrect on my phone :D)

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am

dholcombe wrote:Sounds like they raised GA season tickets which is not a thing I keep track of. I don't think, but don't have numbers, they sell a lot of GA season tickets. I know when I had upper level sideline tickets (the mid price option) there were very few of us as season ticket holders. I did notice they significantly raised process on extra Gonzaga individual tickets to $50 for noon-bleacher seats and that Y the moment the lower level is sold out. You can get the upper level in a mini pack for $125 or bleacher seats in a mini pack for $105. If they can sell a 5 games pack of Gonzaga, st. Mary's, byu, San Francisco and Pacific for 105... Then yeah maybe it was time to raise process on the cheap seats.

Single games for the games not likely to sell out are $10... Or you can get 10 for 75 which would get you into pretty much every game except by and give if you also slipped the non division 1 games.... So the answer seems to be... They can get more money for those seats specifically for the byu and Gonzaga games and that is likely what pushed prices up as you could go to the other 10 D1 (9 left)  home games this year for a grand total of 75

OK, makes sense- thanks for a good explanation. Team played well against UNC yesterday, UNC depth wore them down in the second half but a good performance.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down