Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

+15
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
mikemac65
PurplePrideTrumpet
pilotpurple
upsailor
dholcombe
PilotNut
Rob's Jacket
Geezaldinho
oldtimer
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
PilotDrummer
ShipstadPilot11
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2 - Page 3 Empty Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:44 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
PilotDrummer wrote:I couldn't tell who won the crowd battle, but I will say that it seemed pretty noisy. About time. I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't also state that the band sounds great on TV, which generally means they sound EVEN BETTER live.
We want MORE COW BELLS; missed you last night, PD, but the band played as inspired as the team, even without you.

I hear I WAS there, just in giant, pre-recorded video form (Stoney, any chance of a link to all of those videos sometime?)!

I'll be back for the balance of the season, banging away...

I'm glad that our fans have "grown up" a bit (and the ruder Zags aren't anywhere to be found). One thing I won't miss about Vegas...drunken Zags being Zags. Throwing stuff at people and getting in their face is pretty classy...not. THAT, however, is another topic for another time...
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Our inability to imbound the ball is indicative of the deeper problems facing this team.

This coaching staff is in it's sixth year & we're ineffective at imbounding the ball let alone becoming a competitive factor in league play!!

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I wonder why Few lets Sacre pop his jersey and prance around like he won the WCC. I don't think any of Rev's players would even dream of that, especially on the road. Very Happy
Yea, I have to admit, after seeing Sacre's antics, I wanted to charge the court and ................. Wow, it's a good thing for him my wife stopped me (again). pirat

The rest of Few's guys showed good sportsmanship, by the way. Shocked

What is it with Sacre and UP? He did the same thing last year:

https://www.pilotnation.net/t3835p30-the-really-big-one-zags

Last year, it was jumping/stomping on the P and taunting fans (not even students). This year, it was more of the same.

Here's what I wrote about it last year:

"What I saw from the Zag players last night was not "Oh my gosh, we won!!! I'm so excited!!!" It was "You suck, your fans suck, and we're better than you because we're Gonzaga."

Last year, it was other players than just Sacre, but last night, I only noticed Sacre. Can't wait til he's gone. The guy's a jerk.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:I hear I WAS there, just in giant, pre-recorded video form (Stoney, any chance of a link to all of those videos sometime?)!

Yes indeed! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Welcome back mikemac65, it’s been awhile since we’ve heard from you.

I brought a couple of your ’65 classmates to the GU game as my guests last night; they enjoyed themselves immensely and spoke highly of the team’s improvement on and off the court compared to 1965. afro
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I know PilotNut had some negative thoughts about the student section, but to be honest, I thought they were the best I’ve seen in recent memory (short-term memory loss?). Smile
From the GU Boards:
Wow, that was the worst game envoironment [sic] I think I have ever sat through. The building was DEAD, they couldn't even sell out that tiny arena for their biggest game of the year, and there were more people wearing ZAG gear than Pilot swag. The Chiles Center was a morgue compared to K2, even when the students aren't in session at GU.

It didn't help that the Zags seemed to "sleep walk" through the first half, but the crowd didn't even get into it when the Pilots were ahead by 4 at the half. The biggest cheers from the Pilot faithful were for the break dance team (they were really fun to watch) and the kid who does the Michael Jackson dancing every year.
While I don't necessarily feel as strongly as this poster from GU Boards, I think I'd agree with them before I agreed with DD on this one. I was pretty disappointed in the atmosphere last night. As I said previously, I really look forward to this game because I love the energy and seeing Pilot fans really get into a game and I just didn't feel it last night. I was in the bathroom in the second half and I could tell Quinn was dancing because the place was louder than I'd heard it for most of the night (Teach me how to Dougie was a giveaway, too). I think that last night was a much weaker showing for Pilot fans than the last two Gonzaga games. This belief could be fueled by the fact that I was in the student section the last two years but, wow, I hope our voices carried better than that. If we weren't louder than the students last night, I lost my voice for no reason.

As for the students, they just weren't that loud, IMO, which is sad. To some of the alumni on here, especially those who suffered through the bad years, how would you have reacted, as students, to beating Gonzaga at the half? The last two years (when we were beating GU at the half) I was on top of the world, I had the notion that the student section could will the team to victory. It may be cliche, especially since they sold 6th man jerseys last night, but students sections are active participants in college sporting events, especially basketball, especially basketball in intimate venues like Chiles. The student section last night seemed passive, waiting to see what happened rather than trying to impact it.

Another bummer is that some students got painted up and were allegedly told that they'd have front row seats saved for them and then ended up sitting in the top row of the lower section. While I don't know the details of this nor who is really at fault, I hate to see fans who have been to nearly every game lose out on good seats, especially because they were painting up. The Padre guys have been some of the more loyal and vocal students; I think it would have been in everyone's best interest to have them front and center.

That being said, the onus is on all of us to make noise and be good fans. The guys work their tails off, we pay to be there and then we treat EACC like a library when USD or USF goes to shoot FTs. Why? Who cares if you can't think of anything clever to yell, just be loud, make Chiles the hostile road environment that it can be! As always for GU games, last night was better but it wasn't great. There are times when, out of courtesy to those around me at games, I reign in my desire to yell; should this really be the case at a college sporting event? If I don't feel comfortable getting loud, my guess is that very few others do, even if they had the desire to.

This may read as kind of negative but I really don't mean it that way. Despite all the 'shortcomings' that I pointed out above, I left in a pretty good mood last night. I bring these things up because I like Pilot basketball and I want to see it improve both on the court and in the stands. I also want to know if I'm the only one who feels this way; maybe I'm crazy for thinking these things. What do you think?

Oh, one more thing: pom poms. &@$(@#&*^@#$* Evil or Very Mad Beating a Dead Horse Hitting my head agai
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Well done one the video board this season... you guys are doing a great job with the graphics, content, etc... I love the short video clips you have filmed/shown the past few games; very cool!

Here is the UP game summary:

Gonzaga Needs Big Second Half to Overcome Pilots

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The Portland Pilots led by four at halftime, but the Gonzaga Bulldogs erupted in the second half for a 74-62 win before a sold out crowd of 4,852 Thursday night at the Chiles Center. Sophomore forward Ryan Nicholas recorded his fourth double-double of the season for the Pilots with 13 points and 10 rebounds, while sophomore guard Tim Douglas added 11 points off the bench.

The Bulldogs (17-3, 7-1 WCC) shot 68 percent from the field in the second half, opening the period with an 8-0 run to grab the lead. Consecutive jumpers by Portland sophomore Tanner Riley and a layup by junior Derrick Rodgers gave the Pilots a two-point lead, but a 15-5 Gonzaga run created some separation. Trailing by nine, the Pilots made one more run to cut the margin to 55-52 on consecutive three-pointers by Riley and Douglas with 5:26 remaining, but the Bulldogs ran off nine straight points to seal the win.

The Pilots (5-16, 2-6) were in control most of the first half, leading by as much as seven on two occasions. A three-pointer by senior guard Nemanja Mitrovic with 28 seconds remaining gave Portland a 29-25 lead at the break.

Portland shot 46 percent from the field in the first period, while holding the Bulldogs to 31 percent, including 0-of-7 on three-pointers. The Pilots also gained a 19-17 rebounding edge in the period as Nicholas led the way with 13 points and eight rebounds.

The tables turned in Gonzaga’s favor after the break as Nicholas was held scoreless and the Pilots struggled to 41 percent shooting. The Bulldogs held a 19-11 rebounding margin in the second stanza en route to the win.

For the game the Bulldogs had four players reach double figures led by freshman guard Gary Bell, Jr. with 18 points. Junior forward Elias Harris recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds, while senior center Robert Sacre added 16 points as Gonzaga gained a 44-22 points in the paint advantage on the night.

The Pilots will make a quick turnaround and travel to Los Angeles for a Saturday night game against the Loyola Marymount Lions (12-9, 5-3). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will be televised live on Comcast SportsNet Northwest and Fox Sports West.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 pm

OK, here are the two fan videos that were played yesterday:

Also, did the fan photos work OK on the board?

Last edited by Stonehouse on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:While I don't necessarily feel as strongly as this poster from GU Boards, I think I'd agree with them before I agreed with DD on this one. I was pretty disappointed in the atmosphere last night. As I said previously, I really look forward to this game because I love the energy and seeing Pilot fans really get into a game and I just didn't feel it last night.
Sigh, you're probably correct. I've just been in a rather euphoric state regarding fan noise and participation this year with the very loud, and much appreciated 6-year old behind me. clown
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:48 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:As for the students, they just weren't that loud, IMO, which is sad.

Rant

I completely agree that there was little to no energy in the building last night. The students showed up in force (which is awesome--really large numbers), but then they were just silent. Other than the first couple possessions of the game, they were bumps on a log.

Even when the rest of the gym was getting louder when things tightened up in the 2nd half, the students didnt. When GU was shooting free throws? Nothing.

IMO, the problem, and this has been an un-addressed concern for years, since the original Purple Pride years (thank you DTR, R54, Stonehouse, etc.)... the utter and complete lack of leadership in the student groups, and disregard from the Athletic Department.

No one is taking charge in the front of the students and leading the cheers, getting them started in a timely manner, etc. It is even worse now, as they students are being further splintered with Padre, VDS, and Pilot Riot...

I am continually disgusted that this goes on and on every year, and that the Athletic Department hasn't realized the missed opportunities... a loud and boisterous student section gets the rest of the arena going, which helps the team (better results = more exposure, increased ticket $ales, higher profile recruits), improves the fan experience (increased ticket $ales, Pilot Club donation$, merchandise/concession $ales), and increases the marketability of the school & program (donations, ticket $ales, recruits, tv, etc). It was painfully obvious last night... during key defensive possessions, the students just stood there... some of them would eventually start a "de-fense" chant, but that was 15-20 seconds into the possession, and by the time it caught on, the possession was over.

I am not surprised that we have had less than optimal ticket sales recently... when we do get new people in the door trying us out, the fan/"sports" experience is severely lacking--the game atmosphere isn't nearly as exciting and energetic as it could be.

The Athletic Department has done a GREAT job with the fan experience in terms of physical improvements to Chiles; it is really great, but very expensive. The other reason this is so frustrating to me is that it seems to be a relatively easy fix... developing the student section does not require major fund raising, and would do just as much--if not more--to enhance the fan's experience.

I know that to a certain extent, development has to happen organically/naturally within the students themselves, but the Athletic Department can work with the groups and foster leadership & development, and certainly needs to step in and provide support when it clearly is not happenening. The Dept. can "sit down" with student groups and help them. Show them game tape (for missed opportunities and successes). Show them how other student sections do it. Provide the committed leadership with reserved seats in the front row. Give someone the responsibility of getting the whole student section going in return for reserved seats. Teach leaders to start the chants EARLY, and to think ahead (proactive, not reactive). Know when the team needs a little extra lift, and crank it up. When the opposing fans start a chant--blow them out of the gym by being several times louder. Buy them some megaphones. Print up chant lists. And dont just have Senior leaders... you need leadership in every class to ensure continuity and "buy-in" from all students (and then it will develop on it's own). Don't focus on one dorm; this is a community "call to action" for ALL DORMS. Don't try to bribe students to games with "pre game lounges", etc.; focus on the students, players, coaches, fans as the team.

If it isnt the case already, learning the basics (words to the fight song, basic chants, etc) should be part of every dorm's orientation. Don't just focus on the big games--focus on the TEAM... and teach students that they are part of the TEAM.

Another idea: get cheerleaders (with purple & white pom poms). No offense to the Dance Team, but they just sit there, too. Let them focus on time out & halftime routines.

There needs to be a significant change in approach... "If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got."

and...... end rant.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 pm

PilotNut wrote:The students were great in their numbers tonight, but get a D for effort. Don't get me started here...
Sorry to poke the bear.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Where does last night stack up compared to the last 2-3 years in noise level?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Where does last night stack up compared to the last 2-3 years in noise level?

Worse. This year there is no cohesion, and they just die out. No creativity. No passion. Completely reactionary.

I will give props to the VDS last week, though... they did a great job.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:19 pm

The painted guys and the group in Schoenfeldt sweaters had to go sit up top because most of the seats in the front were taken. Then you had those guys starting one chant at the top of the section while the group lower down started another. The energy was good from the guys who are always into the game but when you get students who only go to one or two games a year getting them to cheer is going to be a challenge.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:but when you get students who only go to one or two games a year getting them to cheer is going to be a challenge.

Seems to me you need to reward those kids who WERE loyal, active and actually gave a crap the whole year with the better seats.... Maybe a punch card system that you get so many games punched you get a priority seat for GU?? But yeah... I fully support PNut in his ranting endeavors, I'm just going to keep my seething in private since I was restricted to watching a game on my laptop at 1 AM...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 pm

As for the students... working on it. But, last night was atrocious. That's all.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Everyone: [everything we've all been saying for years now]

Well, that's it, we're just going to have to show them how it's done.

For one of the early conference home games last year when the students were out for break, we young alums filled the student section and whupped it up pretty decent. Do we need to do something similar every game? Do we need to get a section of our own and provide an example? I'm tired of waiting for the students to step up and own it.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:00 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:
Everyone: [everything we've all been saying for years now]

Well, that's it, we're just going to have to show them how it's done.

For one of the early conference home games last year when the students were out for break, we young alums filled the student section and whupped it up pretty decent. Do we need to do something similar every game? Do we need to get a section of our own and provide an example? I'm tired of waiting for the students to step up and own it.
I would be eager to buy season tickets in a section devoted to fans who wanted to make some noise and cheer on the team! I could be crazy but I would even be interested in standing for the duration of games.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:Well, that's it, we're just going to have to show them how it's done.

I love it... I have bounced this idea around in my head before, not exactly sure of the best way to do it. I would be down to work on this.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm

This will also be long to some, so here's a synopsis: Padre did not plan well, Sacre is potentially defendable for the jersey thing, the section was fragmented so chants were not always effective, leading me to give up at times because I did not want to add to the cacophony of disjointed chants, the proud to be a Pilot videos and pictures were nice touches and the overall behavior of the section really makes me want to jump aboard an alumni section, if I stay up here post graduation. Props also to SP11 for trying to start a Go Pilots chant across the Chiles Center! Hopefully BYU can be better!

I fully endorse a poor grade and many of the ideas, but considering there have been few home games this year so Padre could not really develop a rapport with Marketing/Event Staff, there is potential for next year to have plenty of opportunities for your suggestions to be implemented. I encourage those with ideas to send them to Jonathon Brooks, the new Manager of Athletics Marketing at brooksj@up.edu. If the opinions are heard, things can turn around.

At risk of scorn and backlash, perhaps Sacre was honoring the fans that made the road trip by popping the jersey. I cannot defend the logo stop last year, just an immature move. Evil or Very Mad

Overall, I was really disappointed by the student experience myself. When I got in line 45 minuted before doors opened, I only saw a few members of the VDS. Padre did not get in front because they did not get in line or even let me know they planned to be in front. If they had sent an emmisary to wait in line, I could have worked with them to set some seats aside after the cameramen finished their meeting. Even if they were painting up, arriving long after students were let in and assuming they would get seats because they have been to the last few games was folly. I could hear clapping and occasionally a muffled noise down front, so like PPT said, disjointed chants occurred and I doubt our voices carried and I too have strained my voice to little effect. This is why we need people spaced throughout the section, so the message does not get lost fice rows from the front. The time delay came mostly from indecision and also a few times where I would start a chant as soon as possible but it took a few seconds for others to catch on, something they should be able to do at a much faster rate.

Nevertheless, students should know how to chant/make noise through an entire possession!

Nut, the marketing department and event staff have not always been helpful to students but students also have mostly not accepted the help when it was offered. A few years back one of my compatriots had brought in a purple cone that had been used at a soccer game earlier in the year, but he was told it was an artificial noisemaker. Rolling Eyes They have offered stats and chant sheets, but students have not used them or leave them behind like the "represent" buttons and the rally towels. Apparently the Marketing Department met with the VDS last spring, but Trish was let go and the Marketing Department is facing a rebuilding year of their own.

I fully endorse the unification of student support and would enjoy a alumni section; I would also like to see a platform similar to LMU so leaders could be better seen.

As PPT has pointed out during soccer season, this game always features "tourists." This year definitely featured plenty who took the front rows or opted to be obnoxious during shootaround or throw one of the heads across the court. I am still stunned a technical was not called due to that lack of judgment. Since the next home game for the men is BYU, I expect to see a sign on the seats like after the USD game two seasons ago:

GREETINGS STUDENTS!
Thank you for your support tonight! It is because of YOU that we have created a true home court advantage and a 10-2 home record this season!! The University of Portland Athletic Department would like to ask for your help in rocking the Chiles Center, while still maintaining a fun atmosphere for ALL Pilot fans!

Here is a gentle reminder of our sportsmanship policy:

The University of Portland and the West Coast Conference promote good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Profanity, racial/ethnic and derogatory comments, or other intimidating actions directed at officials, student-athletes, coaches or team representatives will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the Chiles Center. We appreciate your cooperation and consideration.

SO BE LOUD, BE PROUD...AND GO PILOTS!!

Hopefully we can develop some creative chants that don't reference a political candidate or blatantly mock the Honor Code violation last year.
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 pm

DJ Sherman wrote:Hopefully we can develop some creative chants that don't reference a political candidate or blatantly mock the Honor Code violation last year.

HER-MAN CAIN!! HER-MAN CAIN!! I'm assuming thats what you mean....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingon50 Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi folks,

Zag fan here. Have read your board for years (& have interacted with several of your posters over on the Zag board), finally registered as I wanted to reply r.e. Rob Sacre.
Obviously opposing fan bases often like to find villains. For Zag fans it has been Omar for years & now it seems to be Delly (though other than his ill-fitting mouthpiece it's hard to find anything wrong with him. Kid can play).
I can't speak to Rob stomping on your logo as I wasn't there. All I can tell you is in the last 20 years that probably only Ronny Turiaf is more beloved among Zag fans than Rob. The kid is a huge teddy bear, very outgoing & has a tremendous sense of humor. Got his degree in 4 years (is a grad student due to injury redshirt year). But beyond all that, Rob is the 1st one to round up teammates to visit the kids at the Ronald McDonald House, bring those same kids into the locker room after a game, help out every year with the Special Olympics program or go to an elementary school & read to kids. And even when assessing SMC ("we hate them, they hate us") always holds opponents in high regard.
Anecdotal evidence of WCC student-athletes seems to bear this out. Many Zag fans have reported flying into/out of Spokane (often after a hard fought game) on the same plane with an opponent. Without exception it has always been "yes sir, no maam" when interacting with these players. You would find Rob to be one of these guys, in spades.
Anyway, thanks for the time. Your kids played hard last night. Ryan obviously doesn't have a hard time getting up for the Zags. Hopefully Nem comes around for you; from my vantage point he has really suffered from the loss of Jared & Luke; I know he's the guy the Zags game plan for.
Good Luck the rest of the way. We respect Coach Rev a ton & know that he is retooling a really strong team.

sittingon50
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 pm

sittingon50 wrote:All I can tell you is in the last 20 years that probably only Ronny Turiaf is more beloved among Zag fans than Rob. The kid is a huge teddy bear, very outgoing & has a tremendous sense of humor. Got his degree in 4 years (is a grad student due to injury redshirt year). But beyond all that, Rob is the 1st one to round up teammates to visit the kids at the Ronald McDonald House, bring those same kids into the locker room after a game, help out every year with the Special Olympics program or go to an elementary school & read to kids. And even when assessing SMC ("we hate them, they hate us") always holds opponents in high regard.
I too loved Ronny (as much as one can love a Zag), as he is an outgoing, likeable sportsman on the court, and was always great with the fans and staff at games at home and on the road. Very Happy

In my four years of watching Sacre it has been on the court only, and he comes across as a real horse’s butt. I’m honestly glad to hear he acts otherwise off the court and is not only a good student and teammate, but also a good citizen. Some guys are just very emotional on the court and they can’t hide it; I respect that and understand it.

I was sitting near two Zag supporters Thursday evening when Sacre did his little act at the end of the game. Both fans agreed that it was embarrassing after such a well played and hard fought game, and both felt it was poor sportsmanship. Different strokes, I suppose. Embarassed

Anyway, good luck against BYU Thursday; it is always good to knock-off the BIG schools with international following -- we play them at home two days later. pirat

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 am

I just didnt understand where it came from... it's not like Sacre or another GU player had just sunk a buzzer beater to win... confused

Sacre wears his emotions on his sleave, and to a certain extent I can appreciate that... but modesty is also in order.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:40 am

PilotNut wrote:I just didnt understand where it came from... it's not like Sacre or another GU player had just sunk a buzzer beater to win... confused
I'd much rather have a player treat every game like it's the most important game in the world than to have players who take winning for granted. Stomping on the logo last year (I didn't see it) sounds like too much but showing excitement? that's great! The sports industry pumps out robotic players all the time; I find it refreshing to watch a player revel in the delight of victory.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next