Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2

+9
jumpstop
Stonehouse
PilotNut
dholcombe
ShipstadPilot11
pilotdad1
Geezaldinho
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2 Empty Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:46 pm

Remember, this game begins at 6:30…...doors will open at 5:00.

UP fans are still basking in the glow of last year’s Pilots upset of GU in the Chiles Center, and the Pilots defiant comeback from a 22 point deficit to momentarily take the lead before dropping a 71-66 decision in Spokane.  But this year’s GU team is much different…..and much better!

The addition of transfers Kyle Wiltjer (Kentucky) and Byron Wesley (USC), and super freshmen Silas Melson and Domantas Sobonis, and the continued leadership of Kevin Pangos have vaulted the Bulldogs near the top of many of the polls:

AP: #7
USA Coaches: #8
NCAA RPI: #5
KenPom: #5

GU’s only loss this season was in overtime at then #2 Arizona almost a month ago.

Three GU players are from Portland (including Wiltjer and Melson), the UP students are gone and this game is a sellout….so we know the majority of fans will be rooting for a team and local players they expect to go to the Final Four.  I’m okay with that…..we know a high percentage of GU alums live in the Portland area (favoring it over Spokane), and we know that fans that are not alums simply like to back a winner.  If they go home disappointed, I’m okay with that too.  

Rumor is there will also be an invasion of Pilots fans from Canada led by UP Alum Dean Murdoch all the way from Regina…..I’d say we’d believe it when we see him…..but no one knows what the Deaner looks like. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2 Empty Re: Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:20 am

DoubleDipper wrote:….so we know the majority of fans will be rooting for a team and local players they expect to go to the Final Four.  I’m okay with that….
I am decidedly NOT okay with that. How is it acceptable that we would expect a visiting team to have more fans on hand than our own home team?!?! I agree that this will be the case, but rather than being okay with the situation, I am embarrassed by it.

This does fit with my previous assertion that a maximum of approximately 2,000 UP fans (including students) will ever show up to any game, regardless of opponent. Attendance above 2,000 for any game at Chiles can be attributed to fans of the opposing team, or simply curious hoops fans who want to see a top-10 team.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2 Empty Re: Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:36 am

I was at last year's game.

There were most assuredly more Pilot fans than Zags at the end of the game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:38 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I am decidedly NOT okay with that. How is it acceptable that we would expect a visiting team to have more fans on hand than our own home team?!?! I agree that this will be the case, but rather than being okay with the situation, I am embarrassed by it.
.....and I don't blame you a bit for feeling that way!!

I was once almost consumed by my dislike for all the GU fans in the Chiles Center....even to the point of my dislike allowing me to get into a "physical discussion" with a obnoxious 30-something after the game about 12 years ago....but I now realize that most GU fans are simply fans of good basketball and are not necessarily the enemy.  Saturday's attendance will probably be about 50-50 without the UP students....would we all like it to be more in UP's favor, sure, but the reality is everyone loves a winner, and GU is a winner.

As UP's alumni base finally begins to grow as the student enrollment increases (remember, until recently, GU had over twice the enrollment that UP had), and UP's team becomes even more competitive, I'm confident we'll see more Pilots fans at the games.  Until then, I've learned to welcome the atmosphere opposing fans can bring to a basketball game, and I look forward to seeing their disappointment at the game's conclusion like we saw last year.

Pooh Jeter beat GU once....it was in his freshman year.  Alec Wintering has beaten GU once....it was in his freshman year. I'm confident Alec will embrace the sound of the fans and turn it into self-motivation....and easily surpass Pooh's mark!  pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Rumor is there will also be an invasion of Pilots fans from Canada led by UP Alum Dean Murdoch all the way from Regina…..I’d say we’d believe it when we see him…..but no one knows what the Deaner looks like. Razz

I'm only ever one Google Image search away....

Gonzaga @ Pilots Saturday @ 6:30 on ESPN2 MV5BMTcxNTUxMTA4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTc1MDY3._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Although I wont be able to make it to the game I am very excited to watch on ESPN2. I am remaining optimistic for the Pilots to pull off another shocker! Heres why.

Voldi has the size and mobility to match up with Wiltjer. Ive watched GU all season and its apparent that as he goes so does the team. If Voldi can limit his touches it will greatly help our chances.
Thomas always seems to play well against big centers. If he can produce on the offensive end it will open up our guards to hit some 3's. Also between the three bigs they have enough fouls to give that will put PK on the line more than under the basket.

Now, if we can get the resurection of Threesus and Bryce hot from outside we are definitely going to be in this game. Look for the homecourt to help their confidence.

And it seems that as Alec goes so do the Pilots. If he didnt use up all his mojo against San Diego then look for Alec to put the pressure on GU all night.

In short, bring on Saturday Night Live

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Kevin Bailey?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:32 pm

Nope, not a member of pilotnation as far as I know.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Haha. Guess we'll have to show up to find out if Kevin's recovered or not.

To add to pd1's plan, like to see D'Marques shake of his one game shooting slump and bury another half dozen 3's to back up Bobby and Bryce.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Portland Pilots (10-4) vs. #7 Gonzaga Bulldogs (13-1)

Date: Jan. 3, 2015
Time: 6:30 PM

Venue: Chiles Center (4,852)
Radio: Sports 910 (KMTT)
Television: ESPN2

Portland vs. Gonzaga Series
Overall Series: 66-93
Home/Road: 35-36/22-45
Neutral/Unknown: 9-12
Last 5/10: 1-4/1-9
Last: GON 71, POR 66 (2/5/14 at GON)

THIS WEEK
• The Pilots host No. 7 Gonzaga in the WCC home-opener on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. Chiles Center doors will open at 5 p.m.
• The game is sold out, but will be televised nationally on ESPN2 with Beth Mowins and Stan Heath calling the action.
• All Portland basketball games will be aired live on Sports 910 (KMTT) with pregame coverage beginning 30 minutes prior to tip-off. Bill Johnson will call the play-by-play all season long.
• Live stats, audio and video links are available at www.PortlandPilots.com.

ABOUT NO. 7 GONZAGA
• The Bulldogs (13-1, 2-0 WCC) are ranked No. 7 in this week’s Associated Press poll and No. 8 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
• Gonzaga swept BYU (87-80) and San Diego (60-48) on the road last week to open conference play.
• The team’s lone loss was in overtime at Arizona (66-63), while notable wins have come against UCLA, St. John’s, SMU and Georgia.
• The Bulldogs are rated No. 5 in the Dec. 31 NCAA RPI.
• Gonzaga has a veteran roster that includes Kentucky transfer Kyle Wiltjer (17.1 ppg) and USC transfer Byron Wesley (12.3 ppg).
• Senior PG Kevin Pangos is a four-year starter and averages 11.5 points and 5.0 assists per game.
• Head coach Mark Few is in his 16th season at the helm of the Bulldogs and has led Gonzaga to the NCAA playoffs each season along with 14 WCC Championships.
• Last season, Portland snapped a 20-game losing streak to Gonzaga and recorded the first win at the Chiles Center over the Bulldogs since 1996 with an 82-73 win on Jan. 9... The Pilots then overcame a 22-point deficit to take a late lead in Spokane before falling 71-66 for a season split.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:53 pm

pilotdad1 wrote:I am remaining optimistic for the Pilots to pull off another shocker!
I too am optimistic!  

The team has to have gained even more confidence after playing well in the unfriendly atmosphere of the Marriott Center.....but they have got to get stops!!!

The UP offense is fine....we know that others will pick up the slack when their teammates go cold, but UP cannot let GU get any kind of run going where the Pilots are expending all their energy playing catch-up.  Defense will be the key for the Pilots!!  They cannot afford to run up and down the court with GU while swapping baskets.....GU's bench is just too deep for UP to keep that up for 40 minutes.  

Grab rebounds, get stops, equal GU's points in the paint, and go to the free throw line....and the Pilots will win!

Korey lit the fire in last year's upset....who will it be this year? pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:53 am

The Oregonian is really stepping up its Pilots coverage with this great article previewing the big game...

Read all about it!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Kevin Bailey?

In street clothes.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Generic grumble. That's all I've got.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:50 pm

I could cut and paste several posts I have made over the years... but I wont. (You're welcome). Rolling Eyes

Good to see us have the heart to make a run... And Rev's *intense* grilling of Thomas seemed to work--Thomas was much better after the rant which rivaled some of mine online!!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Yeah, I wish I could lip read that. Rev tore into him 3 times in one time-out.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Rev was emphatically telling Thomas that he was better than how he was playing, and calling him out directly and specifically for being soft/not playing hard enough. It looked like Thomas was responding a bit and that caused Rev to repeat several times "Are you kidding me?!! Are YOU kidding me?!!" Thomas seemed to take it pretty well--and immediately responded on the floor by hitting his next shot.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:18 pm

Any loss is disappointing, of course, but I've got to say... I'm proud of the heart this team has shown in some really tough games - at UNLV, at USD, at BYU, and at home against very deservedly Top 10 ranked Gonzaga. Yes, I know we went 1-3 in those games, but this team has shown they don't have any quit in them, which is only going to serve us well throughout conference play.

When Kevin Bailey comes back, I'll be feeling very hopeful for the future of this team. From what I've seen, I see no reason we can't sweep teams like USF, Santa Clara, LMU, Pacific, and Pepperdine (sure, we won't get all of those, but we're certainly capable of several of them), and even pushing for a split against SMC and BYU.

Wintering has been nothing short of spectacular, our bigs give other teams fits, and our shooting has come around. The one piece we're missing right now is a slashing wing who can create, and obviously Bailey can bring that.

Purple-colored glasses? Of course. But I'm feeling good about this team. I think this team can finish in the Top 4. I really do.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Portland Rallies in Second Half, but Falls to No. 7 Gonzaga

On the Web: www.portlandpilots.com/news/2015/1/3/MBB_0103154342.aspx

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The Portland Pilots trimmed a 21-point second half deficit to five points late, but the No. 7 Gonzaga Bulldogs held on for an 87-75 victory before a sellout crowd of 4,852 Saturday evening at the Chiles Center.

Kevin Pangos and Przemek Karnowski scored 21 points each to lead the Bulldogs (14-1, 3-0 WCC), while sophomore point guard Alec Wintering finished with 20 points, eight assists and zero turnovers for the Pilots (10-5, 1-2).

Portland played without leading scorer Kevin Bailey (foot) for the eighth straight game. Senior center Thomas van der Mars added 17 points and eight rebounds for the Pilots.

Gonzaga took its largest lead of the game on a Karnowski three-pointer – his first make and attempt of the season from three-point range – with 10:29 remaining for a 65-44 lead.

Portland stormed back with a 15-1 run over the next 3:02 capped by a Wintering three-pointer to ignite the home crowd and make it a 66-59 game. The teams would continue to trade baskets and then Wintering made it a 75-70 deficit with a pair of free throws and 1:58 remaining. Pangos answered with a runner in the lane and then dished to Karnowski on the next possession for a three-point play to essentially end the threat.

Gonzaga shot 57 percent from the field for the game and made 23-of-28 free throws overall. The Pilots struggled to 39 percent in the first half and finished at 47 percent overall from the floor and 13-of-21 at the foul line.

Gonzaga jumped out to an early double digit lead and would push the margin to as much as 19 points in the first period before settling for a 43-28 halftime edge. The Bulldogs outrebounded the Pilots 21-10 in the first half and had a 20-12 edge in points in the point.

Wintering, whose career high as a freshman was 15 points, recorded his fifth 20-point game of the season and increased his assist-to-turnover ratio to 2.1.

Portland will remain at home for two more WCC games next week. The Pilots host Santa Clara on Thursday at 7 p.m. and San Francisco on Saturday at 1 p.m. for the WCC Game of the Week.

Newspaper Box Score

GONZAGA BULLDOGS vs Portland
01/03/15 6:30 PM at Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
At Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)

GONZAGA BULLDOGS 87, PORTLAND 75

GONZAGA BULLDOGS (14-1 (3-0 WCC))
KARNOWSKI, Przemek 9-12 2-3 21; PANGOS, Kevin 6-8 7-8 21; BELL JR., Gary 4-7
3-3 12; WESLEY, Byron 2-5 6-7 10; WILTJER, Kyle 3-10 2-3 8; DRANGINIS, Kyle
2-3 0-0 6; SABONIS, Domantas 2-3 1-2 5; NUNEZ, Angel 0-0 2-2 2; MELSON,
Silas 1-3 0-0 2. Totals 29-51 23-28 87.

PORTLAND (10-5 (1-2 WCC))
WINTERING, Alec 5-13 9-11 20; VAN DER MARS, Thomas 8-14 1-3 17; SHARP, Bobby
4-6 1-2 11; TODD, Jason 3-4 1-2 9; GERUN, Volodymyr 4-10 0-2 8; PRESSLEY,
Bryce 2-5 0-0 5; BARKER, Riley 2-4 1-1 5; TAYLOR, Gabe 0-1 0-0 0; TYSON,
D'Marques 0-3 0-0 0. Totals 28-60 13-21 75.

GONZAGA BULLDOGS.............. 43 44 - 87
Portland...................... 28 47 - 75

3-point goals--GONZAGA BULLDOGS 6-16 (PANGOS, Kevin 2-4; DRANGINIS, Kyle
2-3; KARNOWSKI, Przemek 1-1; BELL JR., Gary 1-3; MELSON, Silas 0-1; WILTJER,
Kyle 0-3; WESLEY, Byron 0-1), Portland 6-15 (TODD, Jason 2-3; SHARP, Bobby
2-3; PRESSLEY, Bryce 1-2; WINTERING, Alec 1-4; TYSON, D'Marques 0-1; GERUN,
Volodymyr 0-2). Fouled out--GONZAGA BULLDOGS-None, Portland-PRESSLEY, Bryce.
Rebounds--GONZAGA BULLDOGS 32 (SABONIS, Domantas 6), Portland 27 (VAN DER
MARS, Thomas Cool. Assists--GONZAGA BULLDOGS 12 (PANGOS, Kevin 5), Portland 14
(WINTERING, Alec Cool. Total fouls--GONZAGA BULLDOGS 21, Portland 23.
Technical fouls--GONZAGA BULLDOGS-None, Portland-None. A-4852

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I think this team can finish in the Top 4. I really do.

I think so, too...and that would be a good thing.

We have been building up to this year's team for the past few years (and we will likely take a few steps back next year due to graduations)... I would love for us to be able to end up with a post season berth (and a few wins) in tournament we have actually heard of before...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Stonehouse wrote:When Kevin Bailey comes back, I'll be feeling very hopeful for the future of this team.
KB practiced/shot around with the team on Friday, but he is of course not in any kind of game-shape at this juncture, and will need to start feeling comfortable about not injuring his foot further before we'll see him in games again.

I believe the hope is to play him, but only sparingly for a few games, before turning him loose once again.

I know too their has been talk of a medical redshirt by some of the fans, but I believe KB and the staff believe THIS YEAR is the year to go for a good finish to WCC play and get to the postseason.  Remember, in order to get a medical redshirt, the medics must continue to evaluate the injured player during the remainder of the season and declare him unable to play right up until the last game of the season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 am

Nice comeback, but a few bad turnovers and missed free throws in the closing minutes sealed our fate. (Not to mention the terrible start.)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 am

Portland Rallies in Second Half, but Falls to No. 7 Gonzaga

On the Web: www.portlandpilots.com/news/2015/1/3/MBB_0103154342.aspx

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The Portland Pilots trimmed a 21-point second half deficit to five points late, but the No. 7 Gonzaga Bulldogs held on for an 87-75 victory before a sellout crowd of 4,852 Saturday evening at the Chiles Center.
Pretty funny that they refer to it as a sellout crowd. There were obviously hundreds of empty seats. I hope no fans were turned away and unable to get tickets due to the "sellout."

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:36 am

Tonight was my first live Pilots game I've seen since they laid the boots to USD back on Feb 27, 2006 under Coach Holton.

I'm not sure if either team was clicking at anywhere near 100% - but I sure loved the heart the Pilots showed to make it a ball game against a very good Gonzaga team. All I wanted heading into this one, really.

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpstop Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:14 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
Pretty funny that they refer to it as a sellout crowd. There were obviously hundreds of empty seats. I hope no fans were turned away and unable to get tickets due to the "sellout."

That was my question. Tickets "sold out" the day they went on sale, and since I didn't want to pay 3 or 4 times face value, I tried for weeks to get a ticket anywhere- ticketmaster, stubhub, craigslist.  I ended up buying the very last ticket on stub hub when it dropped to close to face value about an hour before game time... ended up being my worst nightmare:  a single ticket, in the bleachers, THE ONLY PORTLAND FAN SURROUNDED BY AN ENTIRE SECTION OF GONZAGA FANS Mad ! It was frustrating after all that to look out and see hundreds of open seats throughout the building.  Any idea why this happened?

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next