Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

+9
oldtimer
onetouchfutbol
GoZags
pilotram
wrv
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
PilotNut
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  - Page 2 Empty Re: 6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

Post by DaTruRochin Tue May 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Based off one of Rev's tweets from yesterday I'd say we have photo evidence as well (VDM is the nearest on the right of the pic):
6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  - Page 2 Scaled.php?tn=0&server=620&filename=kvezn

http://yfrog.com/h8kveznj
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  - Page 2 Empty Re: 6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

Post by pilotram Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Is that mattywiz in the lower left? And did Coky give them all a ride to the commons?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue May 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Is that an NBA shirt he is wearing, and if so, does he have NBA socks to match?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed May 18, 2011 8:42 pm

They look like a tight-knit group...once again.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by shallwemaui10 Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 am

Joey Van Zegeren- He was meeting with his coach, Rob Orellana today about his final selections. He has stated he will be in the USA playing NCAA basketball. He has eliminated Seton Hall and Portland has run out of scholarships. It looks like it may be down to Providence, UW, a unnamed SEC school (this is rumored to be the favorite), and a few sleepers that have yet to be named. He plans to announce in the next couple of days.

If the guy can play at all, take him and find a spot somewhere else for 1 of our under 6-5 guys. Don't want to name names, but could if pressed.

shallwemaui10
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri May 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Is it certain that we have no scholarships available? Were there any departures from the program with the end of the school year?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 20, 2011 9:20 pm

It is my understanding that any financial aid to a player after May 18 would count towards the 2012 season.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Has anybody had a chance to see VDM play in person yet?

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 am

Twoof VDM's classmates at The Canarias academy were heavily recruited by the Huskys.

As late as last week the recruiting bird dog site HUSKY HAUL was reporting theY both might go there.

It now appears neither will. 6'9" Joey van Zegeren will go to Virginia Tech.
Rob Orellana (@CBAcademy)
5/31/11 4:03 AM
Joey van Zegeren, ACC bound, commits to Virginia Tech!
Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzg1K9hogPU

Not sure where 7'0" Marek Soucek has ended up, but it appears the Huskys are out.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  - Page 2 Empty No Surprise - Thomas excels in the classroom

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 am

135 Pilots Named to WCC Honor Roll (GPA over 3.0 in the 2011-12 school year).

It’s really not a surprise to anyone who knows him, but the highest GPA achieved by any of the Pilots was by Thomas van der Mars; a 3.98 in Business Administration. Thomas is one of only two men’s basketball players in the WCC to achieve a GPA over 3.75.

The other Men’s Basketball team members to achieve over a 3.0 GPA last year were:

Riley Barker 3.37 Business Administration
Ryan Nicholas 3.37 Psychology
Taylor Mossman 3.08 Biology

Well done, men!

The entire WCC Honor Roll is here:
http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2012/7/11/GEN_0711125421.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11392
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:47 pm

From the Dutch website basketballplus:
We talked some hoops with Dutch prospect Thomas van der Mars, with whom we continue our interview-series on Dutch Prospects Abroad. Center Thomas van der Mars had an nice freshman year with the Pilots, playing 31 games and averaging 7.7ppg, 5.4rpg, FGP: 53.7%, FT: 62.7%.

At 6’11 with solid length and a 225-pound frame, Van der Mars is big enough to play either post position at the next level. While he is not overly quick or explosive, he is a solid and coordinated athlete with average mobility given his size.

Thomas just finished a exhibition game with the Pilots against reigning NAIA national champion Concordia-Irvine and played a solid game with 9 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in 21 minutes. The Pilots defeated Concordia-Irvine with 79-66.

Where did basketball begin for you?

I started playing basketball at age 9 in my hometown; Gouda, the Netherlands. I had played some soccer up until that point, but after trying out basketball I was completely sold. The fact that my dad had played some basketball in the past made it all the more special to me.

What made you decide to leave Holland to play ball at Canarias Basketball Academy in Gran Canaria, Spain?

I had always dreamt of playing at the collegiate level in the USA. However, it became obvious that I did not have access to the required resources and guidance in order to make the jump to that level. Rob Orellana and the Canarias Basketball Academy (CBA) promised to provide those resources and guidance. Rob delivered on his promises and for that I am very thankful.

You chose to play for University of Portland, why?

The coaching staff and the style of play. The coaches have a lot of experience in developing quality post players and the style of play definitely suits me.

What do you consider to be the strongest and the weakest point of your game?

I feel like my strongest point is my back to the basket play. Probably my weakest point and what I am currently working on is becoming more versatile.

Thomas, how are you preparing for the upcoming season?

I spent the summer lifting weights and further developing my skills. We just put in the offense and defense a couple of weeks ago. Right now, we are working on playing as good as possible collectively.

What are your initial thoughts going into next season?

We had a rough season last year. However, we have improved and we are ready to surprise some people.

Do you have any parting words of advice or encouragement for young upcoming players in Holland looking to better their game?

Stay Humble, Stay Hungry.

Thanks Thomas for the time doing this interview. Wish You and the Pilots a successful season
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:06 pm

And now Thomas is a professional basketball player in Greece!

Thomas signed with Kavala (Enosi Kalathosfairisis Kavalas), the winners of the A2 Division in Greece last season with a record of 22-5.

Kavala lost about eight of its players after the season ended....so one would think Thomas has a great opportunity ahead of him.

(Yes, Nik Ravio played in Greece a couple of years back, but since then he's been on a Hungarian team, and he just joined an Italian team this summer.  

Nem Mitrovic played for the team with the second best record in the Greek A1 Division this past season, but when talking to him this summer he indicated he'd be changing teams again.  Oh, and for those of you who remember Nem's little brother, Marko, he's not so little anymore at 6-2, and apparently he's a baller!  Cool )
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:50 pm

That's great news! What is the current roster of UP alums playing professionally?

VDM - Greece
Raivio - Italy
Mitrovic - ??
Sikma - Spain
Campbell - France(?)
Jeter - China/Ukraine/France
Nicholas - Spain

Who am I missing? And what's going on with Kevin Bailey? Someone's gotta pay him to play some more hoops!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Yes, TJ is still under contract in France and Nem's plans are still unknown, but as we wait to find out where KB, Voldy, and Riley will play professionally, there are a few other Pilots playing professionally to mention.

Robin Smeulders is still playing in Germany and on the Dutch National Team.

Taishi Ito is still playing in Japan at last report.

Jasonn Hannibal just signed with the Toronto Raptors D-League team, the 905's.  The team will be playing their home games in Mississauga's Hersey Centre, and as I recall, Jasonn is from Mississauga.

And Pooh has had a very successful summer and, from the reports I've read, plans to return to China and also play for the Ukrainian National Team.  Pooh's local SOCAL team just won the very tough Drew League championship, and many continue to say he would be an excellent back-up NBA PG.

I can't think of anyone else offhand who have played professionally recently and is still playing.  Eric Waterford, Ethan Niedermeyer and Jared Stohl are done, and Kramer Knutson is of course the Pilots DBO.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:47 pm

So, just to update, Thomas is playing Greece, Riley is in the Czech Republic, and Kevin will be playing in Poland....

So where's Voldy?

Last I spoke with him, Voldy was still a little concerned about returning to the Ukraine where he'd possibly be drafted....but not to play basketball. pale
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2