Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

+9
oldtimer
onetouchfutbol
GoZags
pilotram
wrv
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
PilotNut
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  Empty 6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

Post by PilotNut Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Well our mystery has been solved!

WELCOME THOMAS VAN DER MARS!

Thomas van der Mars has committed & signed with UP; expect a formal announcement from the Athletic Dept. later today! van der Mars, from Holland, is listed at 6'11", 231 lbs... so yeah he's big and seems like a great addition for the 5 spot. Rumor is the coaches are quite pleased with this get!

Additional youtube video here.

Canarias Basketball Academy profile: LINK.

I am sure there is a lot more information out there... sleuth away!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  Empty Re: 6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

Post by blacksheep Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm

He is listed as being born in 1990. How many years of eligibility does he have?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  Empty Re: 6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 pm

blacksheep wrote:He is listed as being born in 1990. How many years of eligibility does he have?

That makes him 21. He has four years. The age penalty doesn't kick in until 23.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Looks like he has a solid base for a post game, and already has the rebounding/shot blocking characteristics you'd want in a 5. Looks like he's a guy who can come right in and spell Barker as needed already! I look forward to Rev having a true big prospect to work with, along with the athleticism we're already getting in this class.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue May 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Based on the videos this guy is likely be a starter immediately. Is there a big in the prgram now or coming in that has the skill set Mr. van der Mars appears to have?

Even though he is a Dutch national playing in Espana, wasn't this fellow pretty highly sought? I saw that Wake Forrest, Charlotte and Wichita State may have been among those seeking his services.

An "upgrade" he may well be.

Geezer has posted a video about another potential recruit, I assume--if we are bringing in two, who is leaving the fold?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 10, 2011 3:12 pm

blacksheep wrote:He is listed as being born in 1990. How many years of eligibility does he have?

3 or 4 years (yet to be cleared up), from what I hear. Let's hope for 4!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm

If it is 3 years, then there is an issue with Canarias being a high school equivalent, which I think is the whole design of the academy.

Other grads currently in the NCAA are considered 4 year, from what I gather.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Nice get! Can't wait to see what this guy can do.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue May 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Official Announcement link:

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2011/5/10/MBB_0510113910.aspx

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I cannot wait to see this guy in purple and white! Coach Reveno has a lot of big men that he can develop now.

Back to top Go down

Post by GoZags Wed May 11, 2011 9:24 am

Nicely done.

Sounds like someone who will help solidify the frontcourt and that Coach Reveno can eventually build around. Congrats.
GoZags
GoZags
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 pm

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2011/5/10/MBB_0510113910.aspx?path=mbball

I saw the news on Facebook today. Rev knows how to 'git her done.' I guess wrv posted the link as well. Hopefully the experience of our guards will lead to less turnovers because we've now got 2 great swing men and a center coming in. It would be great if the swingmen also focused on entry passes a bit with their length and a big man in the center. Our program definitely is continuing to move on the upward swing...

It's interesting to look at this group of recruits. I can imagine any one of them as a starter in their sophomore year...and Kevin Bailey and the center will probably get to start or play a lot of minutes right away...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri May 13, 2011 2:09 pm

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/articles/2011/05/11-CA-All-State-Overall-Teams.aspx
Cason 3rd team, no mention of Bailey?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri May 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Well, Bailey didn't carry his team to the state championship game like Cason, Dorian pretty much willed his way on to that list. Hahaha, if Kevin takes that as a snub and comes into off season workouts with a chip on his shoulder I'm ALL for it. This class fills every potential need giving depth at the post, athleticism at the 3 and more outside shooting. This year is gonna be a an all new brand of Pilot basketball thats for damn sure. It should be an exciting 4 years with these kids.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Bailey did get a mention in Maxprep's list

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/31XTAGVpEeCkhgAcxJSkrA/maxpreps-california-boys-basketball-all-state-team.htm
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 am

Starting Lineup ideas now?

Douglas
Mitrovic
Kevin Bailey
Ryan Nicholas
Van der Mars

I love it. I hope this also motivates Riley Barker to continue to bulk up a bit and improve. I still really consider Rev to be a big man coach...since the development of the Lopez twins at Stanford was really his project before both made it to the NBA. Having both Barker and Van der Mars to work with has to please the guy...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Sat May 14, 2011 2:53 pm

OTF, I like your thinking. In that lineup there is quickness, shooting ability, toughness and size.
With Cason learning the system and backing up Nicholas and Tanner being able to play both the 2 and 3 the bench looks solid as well.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun May 15, 2011 11:43 am

I think one of the things i like best about this class is it really offers us a lot of versatility. Adding another big on top of Cason this year gives us the option of putting some really tall lineups out there, featuring say a combo of Barker, VDM, or Nicholas at the 4-5, Cason at the 3, Bailey/Mitrovic at the 2 and Douglas. That is some serious front line heft! Conversely with Cason/Nicholas at the 4-5 we can go for a slightly smaller, more athletic look as well. Rev and the staff have done a great job adding length and athleticism that could help create matchup problems on both ends of the court. It will be interesting to watch this team gel over the nest few years.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Sun May 15, 2011 1:04 pm

DTR with first nicknaming of VDM. Noted.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 pm

The 18th is the Last day for 2011 committs.

Could have had another 7(ish) footer if we had another slot, apparently.

Joey Van Zegeren- He was meeting with his coach, Rob Orellana today about his final selections. He has stated he will be in the USA playing NCAA basketball. He has eliminated Seton Hall and Portland has run out of scholarships. It looks like it may be down to Providence, UW, a unnamed SEC school (this is rumored to be the favorite), and a few sleepers that have yet to be named. He plans to announce in the next couple of days.

http://thehuskyhaul.com/2011/05/16/busy-day-of-recruiting-news/
I heard the huskys were a front runner, but the guy I heard it from would think so...

For those of you who haven't been keeping up, van Zegeren was a teammate of vdM at Canarias Basketball Academy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 16, 2011 10:35 pm

pilotram wrote:DTR with first nicknaming of VDM. Noted.

The boy is lucky. It could have turned ugly with "my favorite Martian" spinoffs.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon May 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
pilotram wrote:DTR with first nicknaming of VDM. Noted.

The boy is lucky. It could have turned ugly with "my favorite Martian" spinoffs.

I was thinking more along these lines

6'11" Euro Center Thomas van der Mars is a Pilot!  Mars_b10
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 pm

van der Mars still hasn't shown up on ESPN.com's recruiting webpage for the Pilots. I am kind of curious what grade they would give him.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Rumor has it VDM is on campus now, and his wingspan was measured at 7'6" compared to 7'1" for Riley Barker... wow.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 2:52 pm

PilotNut wrote:Rumor has it VDM is on campus now...

Yeah, I am pretty sure I saw this guy walking around today. Plus, all of us students living on campus during the summer live in the same dorm.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next