Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official recruiting class announcement

+5
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple haze
Geezaldinho
wrv
A_Fan
9 posters

Go down

Official recruiting class announcement Empty Official recruiting class announcement

Post by A_Fan Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Women’s Soccer Announces 2011 Recruiting Class

PORTLAND, Ore. --- The University of Portland women’s soccer team has signed a talented group of five players to National Letters of Intent to comprise its 2011 recruiting class, head coach Garrett Smith announced on Monday. Four freshmen and the program’s first junior college transfer comprise this year’s recruiting class.

Kaila Cameli (Glendale, Ariz.), Rebekah Kurle (Renton, Wash.), Malloy Leahy (Snohomish, Wash.), Lorielle McCluskie (Scottsdale, Ariz.), and Emily Sippel (Beaverton, Ore.) will all join the Pilots squad this fall.

Kaila Cameli (Glendale, Ariz./Apollo HS/Phoenix College/SC Del Sol) – A 5-5 forward, Cameli joins the Pilots for her sophomore season after transferring from Phoenix College and becoming the first junior college transfer in the history of the Pilots’ women’s soccer program. Cameli is coming off a 2010 season where she was named ACCAC Region Player of the Year and a NJCAA All-American after breaking the Bears’ single-season goals and assists records with 22 and 11, respectively. She earned two varsity letters at Apollo High School and was named to the First Team All-Region in 2005 and 2006 after being named the Team MVP both seasons.

“Kaila is a dynamic and explosive attacking player,” Smith said. “She has proven that she can score in a variety of ways in mass amounts. Her recruiting process out of high school was disrupted by injuries, so she really slipped through the cracks and we are lucky to have her. Kaila does not come in as a freshman; she comes in with the maturity of a junior academically.”

Rebekah Kurle (Renton, Wash./Kennedy HS/Emerald City) – A 5-10 midfielder/forward, Kurle comes to The Bluff as the eighth-best recruit in the Pacific Northwest according to TopDrawerSoccer.com. She was a four-year varsity starter at Kennedy Catholic High School, leading the Lancers to four consecutive league titles and state quarterfinal finishes. Selected to All-League First Team three times, Kurle was also an All-State Team member twice, capturing State Player of the Year honors in 2009. A two-time ESPN All-American Second Team member, she finished her high school career with 104 career goals and 40 assists. Kurle helped her club team, Emerald City FC, win five consecutive state championships and a Far West Regional Championship. A 2010 invite to the National ODP Development Camp, Kurle was selected to the Washington State Team five straight years and participated in Region IV pool on two occasions.

“Rebekah comes from one of the top clubs in the state of Washington,” said Smith. “She is a proven goal-scorer historically and we expect her to do the same here. Anybody that can score 100-plus goals has that natural instinct that the great goal-scorers possess.”

Malloy Leahy (Snohomish, Wash./Glacier Peak HS/Emerald City) – Leahy, a 5-8 defender, ranks as one of the top 75 players in the 2011 recruiting class according to TopDrawerSoccer.com. She was a three-time First Team All-Wesco Conference member. Splitting time between striker and center back as a sophomore, she still posted the third highest scoring total in the conference. From 2006 to 2010, Leahy was a member of the Washington State Olympic Development Team and participated in the Region IV Camp from 2006 to 2009. She also led Emerald City to state championship titles in 2009 and 2010, advancing to the Regional Quarterfinals both years.

“Malloy was a teammate of Rebekah on Emerald City and was the defensive anchor of that team,” Smith said. “She brings the intangibles to the field that do not show up on the stat sheet. She is a calming presence defensively and is a powerful player as well.”

Lorielle McCluskie (Scottsdale, Ariz./Desert Mountain HS/Sereno) – A 5-8 defender, McCluskie joins the Pilots and sister Kassi McCluskie after four years of experience with the Arizona Olympic Development Team, logging experience as the team captain in 2008. While anchoring the defense of Sereno, McCluskie helped her club win six straight State Championships from 2003 to 2009. Due to her commitment to Sereno and the Olympic Development Program, McCluskie did not play high school soccer.

“It will be exciting to see the McCluskie sister tandem on The Bluff next season,” Smith said. “Kassi is excited and we are excited to have her sister here with us as another strong personality and presence out on the field. Lorielle is another elite recruit from the state of Arizona and a renowned club team in Sereno. As a six time champion, she has proven to know what it takes to win.”

Emily Sippel (Beaverton, Ore./Westview HS/FC Portland) – A 5-5 midfielder/forward, Sippel arrives with a 4.0 grade-point average. From 2006 to 2008, she was a member of both the Oregon ODP team and the Region IV ODP pool. In 2008, she participated in the ODP U15 and U16 National Development Camp, playing in the ODP Costa Rica International Tournament and earning recognition as the Oregon ODP Female Player of the Year. Her Westview Wildcats were Metro League Co-Champions in 2010 after finishing as state runner-ups in 2008 and 2009. Sippel was named the Most Inspirational player for the Wildcats in 2009 and 2010, although missing both soccer seasons with knee injuries. She also ran track for the Wildcats in 2008, 2010, and 2011.

“Emily is a talented offensive-minded player that has been slowed by injury the last two years,” Smith noted. “Emily progressed through the FC Portland youth system and became one of the top attacking players in the country prior to her injuries. She has gone to great lengths to rehabilitate and has spent the past year getting physically ready for this upcoming season. I know that she will enter training camp this August ready to go and once she gets back into playing shape we expect she’ll return to form as an elite offensive player while here at the University of Portland.”

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE
Kaila Cameli KAY-luh kuh-MEL-ee
Rebekah Kurle kur-lee
Malloy Leahy lee-hee
Lorielle McCluskie mic-KLUSS-kee
Emily Sippel sih-pull
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Official recruiting class announcement Empty Re: Official recruiting class announcement

Post by wrv Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Do any of these young ladies crack the starting lineup?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Official recruiting class announcement Empty Re: Official recruiting class announcement

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm

wrv wrote:Do any of these young ladies crack the starting lineup?

At least 3
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 pm

There's a big opportunity for freshmen and others from last season's bench to seize a starting role this fall. Many key positions are open due to graduation of major stars. The ability to perform trumps seniority.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

wrv wrote:Do any of these young ladies crack the starting lineup?
If they can play central midfield or outside back they have a real good chance.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Well, I suppose that by design the three lineup crackers are unnamed. Still I was hoping you could give an informed, albeit speculative list of the likely starting lineup ; maybe it is too early to predict and there is more sacarsm in your post, Purplegeezer, than is initially obvious to me. Cameli, Kurle, Leahy and Sippel all appear to be cracker candidates, but that is why I ask.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:49 am

I just don't see many of these freshmen breaking into the starting line-up. Up top you have the Fox and Kremenski returning as seniors. Frisbee and Capelle will now have a year of experience. On the wings you have Kendall and Taylor. You had Cruz who started many games last year that you need to find a spot for and Parker started when Soph was with CNT. In the middle on D you have Cloee, MO, and Kassi returning. The only spot we might see some frosh is on the outside on D. You might move Kassi out wide. You have Emma Nelson returning for her senior year. Klier was injured last year, but she showed promise as a freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from last year moves to the back line like Elli did the last few years.

I am expecting the frosh to get lots of playing time as subs though. We'll see what happens in the spring to see if anyone gets moved around and have a better idea who starts come August.

Bring on the first spring game.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:01 am

I'm not sure if they'll immediately crack the starting lineup or not with the talent that we have returning. I see Fox, Frisbee, Cloee, and a few others as the pillars of the present team...

However, if we have any problems converting and scoring goals, I'd be surprised if Kurle doesn't get some significant playing time, and Leahy adds some nice depth at the defensive end as well. This group will really help us to withstand injuries and add a great spark off of the bench. Some will be future stars of the program. Sippel is obviously a great player as well.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:06 pm

I'll make my guesses: We'll see Kaila Cameli starting up front with Dani. We'll see Michelle Olivier -- if she's healthy -- at holding mid, with Malloy Leahy starting beside Cloee at central defense. We might see Kendall Johnson paired with one of the freshmen at left defender/midfield -- is Lorielle McCluskie or Emily Sippel a lefty? Or, we might see one of Lorielle or Emily at right defender. A big question in my mind is whether Emily is fully recovered from her injuries. She has been rated the #1 recruit in the PNW, with Leahy #4.

But, these are just what I said, guesses. I have no idea!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I think that having Kurle on the team excites me as much as anyone in this class. The team has been lacking a player who is good in the air in the midfield. With that height, she has some potential...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 am

Really? I don't remember Keelin being out jumped more than a couple of times in 4 years. She is/was excellent in the air.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Same reaction, A_Fan - In spite of the fact she was not particularly tall, Keelin won probably 90% of the air balls she got near. She had a real knack for getting them, even from the back.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:28 am

A_Fan wrote:Really? I don't remember Keelin being out jumped more than a couple of times in 4 years. She is/was excellent in the air.

Okay...point taken. I'm still hoping for slightly better midfield play in the playoffs though.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 am

I don't know that you will ever see better midfield play than we got from the tandem of Keelin and Sophie, at least in the center of the midfield, when Sophie was playing there instead of attacker.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 am

Agreeing right back at you FAF. Those two were as good a pair of collegiate midfielders as could be found. That being said I see onetouch's point. The midfield was unsettled last season with injuries and national team duties.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down