Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

+15
ShipstadPilot11
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rob's Jacket
dholcombe
oh brody
MesaPilot1
Woodless!
PilotNut
DTLegend
blacksheep
DaTruRochin
wrv
Rochin54
onetouchfutbol
Geezaldinho
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 pm

//// What drunken , I musta missed the talk about REV and CANZANO....you guys are getting as distracting as Mesa that guy in AZ,lol

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer - Page 2 Empty Re: Rev and Canzano , poker and beer

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:35 pm

It's about POKER. Listen to Rev.

Jeez....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 pm

What beer would you not be caught dead ordering?

Several come to mind:
Pabst Blue Ribbon

Wait one minute, what's wrong with Pabst Blue Ribbon?!?
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I see it says "recruit" Razz
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:I see it says "recruit" Razz

That's no excuse.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am

Now hang on here guys! I am not saying Pabst is the best beer out there, in fact its not even close, but it does score very highly in two of my categories:

1) Its a great lawn mowing beer (its hot outside, you're mowing the lawn and you are looking for something light, cold, and thirst quenching. No need to get fancy, you're not going to be savoring it...you're thirsty and you need something to get the job done)

2) Beer/Price - in its price range its hard to beat!

All I'm saying is, you can order a Pabst and keep your head held high unlike some of our Ruby drinking friends lol!
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Yeah, but, would you drink it when you're playing poker? confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Besides, when it is hot around here, the lawns are dead. If not, go in your favorite air conditioned pub and have a good beer and wait 'till tomorrow. It will be cooler.

I just had to mow this week.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:25 pm

oh brody wrote:Now hang on here guys! I am not saying Pabst is the best beer out there, in fact its not even close, but it does score very highly in two of my categories:

1) Its a great lawn mowing beer (its hot outside, you're mowing the lawn and you are looking for something light, cold, and thirst quenching. No need to get fancy, you're not going to be savoring it...you're thirsty and you need something to get the job done)

All I'm saying is, you can order a Pabst and keep your head held high unlike some of our Ruby drinking friends lol!

A high school friend of mine who's spend the last five years living in Scotland ordered a pint of PBR last summer because he'd heard stories from me and my friends about it. He wanted to objectively compare it to a Scottish beer, Tennents, that can be purchased in the UK for roughly the same price as a Coca-Cola. After taking the first swig of his PBR, he said - and I quote -

"I never thought that I would ever, ever find a beer as terrible as Tennents - let alone worse. This is remarkable."

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, if you're drinking PBR, I don't think "taste" is really what you are going for...

I like how the admission my one moment of drinking indiscretion has ignited such lovely discussion and mockery. At least I can proudly say I never had one of those "I only drink Boone's Farm/S. Ice/Mike's phases because beer is icky phases"...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:32 pm

I was a lot poorer in college. Back when you could get an 8 oz PBR for a dime in the local dive bar, our regular fare was apple "drops" from the local orchards (free) which we had pressed for $5 a barrel and made into hard cider.

Beer was hangover medicine.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Instead of PBR I usually go for a Rainier or Olympia. It's the water, ya know...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Oddly enough, both are bottled at the same plant east of Los Angeles... So I guess it is all about that fresh Sierra Nevada water??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:
oh brody wrote:Now hang on here guys! I am not saying Pabst is the best beer out there, in fact its not even close, but it does score very highly in two of my categories:

A high school friend of mine who's spend the last five years living in Scotland ordered a pint of PBR last summer because he'd heard stories from me and my friends about it. He wanted to objectively compare it to a Scottish beer, Tennents, that can be purchased in the UK for roughly the same price as a Coca-Cola. After taking the first swig of his PBR, he said - and I quote -

"I never thought that I would ever, ever find a beer as terrible as Tennents - let alone worse. This is remarkable."

Yep. In beer land, to an extent you get what you pay for...and in the case of PBR you aren't paying for much. There's the dirt cheap stuff, the micro brews, and then there's Pliny.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Speaking of which, I talked to my Publican, and February is "the Younger" month

Rev and Canzano , poker and beer - Page 2 Pliny-the-Younger

Pliny the Younger

11.0%ABV, 1.098 O.G, GOBS of BUs
Pliny the Younger was Pliny the Elder's nephew, in the case of this beer, the "Younger" is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times.
Seasonal release (February) available at the pub and for distribution.

That's right-- GOBS of BUs

it is being brewed now.

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pages/brews/limited.html

Lets see how much lawn get mowed this month

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 pm

I have yet to try Pliny. I should probably put that on a "To Do Before Graduating" list. 3 more months..
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm

you might want to consider working up

try RR's Blind Pig first.
If you like that, try Pliny the Elder

Then try the Younger. It will give you an endorphin kick.

you don't start out eating Habañero peppers, do you?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Then again, gradually wading into cold water is just torture, sometimes you just have to jump straight in and enjoy it...

(And if Blind Pig and the Elder are torture, who do I have to kill to get to that prison??)

Why do I feel like I have a dream involving a huge goblet of the Younger and a mound of Scotch eggs coming on?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 am

Purplegeezer wrote:you might want to consider working up

try RR's Blind Pig first.
If you like that, try Pliny the Elder

Then try the Younger. It will give you an endorphin kick.

you don't start out eating Habañero peppers, do you?

I really like Walking Man's Homo Erectus and Lucky Lab's Super Duper Dog, which both appear to come in right around 100 IBU's.

Do I need more training or am I ready for the Habeñeros?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:41 am

I say go for it, Grasshopper.

Just remember that the IBU and SCU(Scovil Heat Units) are both logarithmic in scale, and I'm not sure where "GOBS" is on the scale.

Or as my dad used to say "if you go in that surf and drown, don't come crying to me."
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 am

So where did you say I could get my hands on this stuff?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Last year Belmont Station, Horsebrass, Henry's Tavern(by Powell's), and...um...my favorite pub carried it Very Happy some suburban places, too. Use the locator, or all three have twitter feeds telling you when they tap stuff ( though sometimes they don't with PTY- see below)

They each get 2 or3 kegs maybe twice a week (Tuesday's and Fridays, I think) and a keg goes in a couple of hours.
The Horsebrass has been know to "back room" a keg for the regulars and email them the tap time.

Because of the high ABV, I think all will only serve it in 10 oz glasses. Protecting us from ourselves, I guess.

I call them a Child's portion. One smart ass wench put a rubber nipple over the glass when she served it to me.

Last year I knew it was on tap when I walked in to see 12 people at the bar. One guy had a Guiness and 11 were drinking 10 oz glasses of beer.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 am

Looks like I might have to make a trip downtown. Thanks for the info!

Oh and GO PILOTS!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:25 am

Oh yeah.

Don't do it before class or that job interview. The hops comes out your pores.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:45 am

Liquors Quicker...You have not become a man in the Western United States until you have sucessfully drank a jug of "MONTANA MOONSHINE" !!! Warning do not stand next to small children or small camp fires after inhaling....for fear of death Razz

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next