Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM

+6
blacksheep
StudentPilot
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Stonehouse
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM Empty Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:00 pm

First chance to check out Porter's Pilots comes this Friday!

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/10/18/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-to-host-purple-white-scrimmage-friday.aspx

5PM at the Chiles Center - free and open to all.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM Empty Re: Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Will Maker be playing in the scrimmage? How about the two exhibition games?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM Empty Re: Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:22 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Will Maker be playing in the scrimmage? How about the two exhibition games?

Guesses based on rudimentary knowledge of NCAA rules - yes to the scrimmage, no to the exhibition games.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:48 pm

What time does the Pilot House start serving beer? May have to head out early to avoid the rush hour traffic that makes it so hard to get from SE Pdx to the Bluff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:51 pm

4:00
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:35 am

Geezaldinho wrote:4:00
We are currently on Fall Break....so we can't drink beer in the Pilot House until it opens at 5pm
I think the Pilot House will return to the regular 4 o'clock drinking hour this coming Satuday or Sunday....??
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Purple vs. White Scrimmage: Friday, Oct. 21, 5PM Empty Got Beer?

Post by StudentPilot Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:30 am

In my short time on this forum I haven't noticed much excitement about beer drinking, but if anyone is interested, there will be a party at the Pilot House on Wednesday October 26th, celebrating the seasonal release of the Terry Porter....a limited edition American-style Porter Ale.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

StudentPilot wrote:In my short time on this forum I haven't noticed much excitement about beer drinking, but if anyone is interested, there will be a party at the Pilot House on Wednesday October 26th, celebrating the seasonal release of the Terry Porter....a limited edition American-style Porter Ale.

Beer is an appropriate topic in any thread and is discussed quite often! What time is said celebration?

R54 and I brewed up a homebrew clone of Pliny the Elder a few weeks ago. It should be ready in another week or so. I may need to give the Geez a taste to see how close we got (assuming it's any good). Cheers!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:18 pm

I'd be happy to test my discerning palate on any such effort.

Did you use the hops in the online recipe?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:59 pm

blacksheep wrote:What time is said celebration?Cheers!
I'm told the bar will open and the Terry Porter party will begin at 4pm on Wednesday, October 26.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotFan66 Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:07 pm

Did anyone in Pilot Nation attend the scrimmage? If yes, what were your impressions of the 2016-17 version of the team?

PilotFan66
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 pm

5pm is tough time to get to NoPo for us working folk, hopefully someone can provide a report?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:04 pm

I skipped it in favor of working. The first exhibition game is only a week away and is at a time that doesn't cost me time off work.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm reluctant to weigh-in before others, but to be honest, I did not see many positives to report from yesterday's scrimmage.

It would seem UP has three very good D1 players: Wintering, Taylor, and Tyson....beyond that, there is still a lot of work to be done to have a competitive season.  pale

Maybe there will be more positives to report once the Pilots begin playing outside competition....
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:26 pm

I was there! Overall, the team looks like they will play up-tempo and will move the ball well. I think they'll score points, but defense will likely be a work in progress.

The big take away for me was that Smoyer looks like he's going to play this year for sure. He was pretty smooth in the post, had some nice blocks, and just has a better all-around feel for the game than our other bigs. I wasn't sure what to expect out of him, but I came away pretty impressed. As a freshman, he'll likely get out-muscled against older and stronger opponents, but even so I would bet that he'll see quite a few minutes.

Franklin Porter looked really solid - sure would be nice to have him this year. He is listed at 6'3", but looks and plays bigger, with a very strong upper body. I think he'll be a key player for us in the years to come.

Chier Maker played, and showed flashes. Great athleticism, and made some tough shots. That said, he also looks like he is still learning the game a bit. Talented for sure, but will probably need more time to really show what he can do.

Didn't get too much of a feel for Monson or Ferguson. Given our other talent at the guards, I think they are probably lower on the depth chart. Malcolm Porter looked a bit more ahead of them in terms of readiness to play, but didn't see a whole lot of minutes.

As for the returnees... Hartwich looks stronger, but still doesn't have much of a feel around the basket. Ditto for Barreno.

I thought Taylor looked improved... was aggressive in the post, and showed a nice shooting range. I think he'll see a lot of minutes.

Tyson put on a shooting display in the first half, hitting six threes.

Wintering is great.

I have a feeling that if the team is going to do well, they will need a lot out of Jazz Johnson. He looks in really good shape, and was very confident. Was a bit tough to get a feel though, since he was on the other team from Wintering and Tyson. I have the feeling he will have a bit of a breakthrough season.

Marshall looked about the same as last year - I can't 100% remember, but I think he struggled a bit finishing. Jackson showed his athleticism and was being aggressive, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet. Would be nice to see him evolve into a player like Korey Thieleke was later in his career.

Xavier Hallinan got a nice stretch of minutes - he's a very solid walk-on and it wouldn't surprise me if he saw some situational minutes here and there.

I think that's everyone!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:50 pm

dholcombe wrote:I skipped it in favor of working.

What a fool...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
dholcombe wrote:I skipped it in favor of working.

What a fool...

The money I made should be enough to keep me in pre-game pasta land a good portion of the season. Bow

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 pm

Boom.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:21 am

Thank you Stonehouse for your observations . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:20 am

I missed the first ten minutes or so, but can add a couple comments to what Stoney said.

Stonehouse wrote:I was there! Overall, the team looks like they will play up-tempo and will move the ball well. I think they'll score points, but defense will likely be a work in progress. Agreed, much better ball movement under coach Porter.

The big take away for me was that Smoyer looks like he's going to play this year for sure. He was pretty smooth in the post, had some nice blocks, and just has a better all-around feel for the game than our other bigs. I wasn't sure what to expect out of him, but I came away pretty impressed. As a freshman, he'll likely get out-muscled against older and stronger opponents, but even so I would bet that he'll see quite a few minutes. My initial impressions weren't good, but he seemed to get into the flow better as the game moved on and had some great plays on the defensive side.

Franklin Porter looked really solid - sure would be nice to have him this year. He is listed at 6'3", but looks and plays bigger, with a very strong upper body. I think he'll be a key player for us in the years to come.

Chier Maker played, and showed flashes. Great athleticism, and made some tough shots. That said, he also looks like he is still learning the game a bit. Talented for sure, but will probably need more time to really show what he can do. He hit some shots at the end of the game to pull his team closer, but I didn't see a lot else that impressed me. I'm hoping it's just the format with a split up team and that he will play better with Wintering running the point.

Didn't get too much of a feel for Monson or Ferguson. Given our other talent at the guards, I think they are probably lower on the depth chart. Malcolm Porter looked a bit more ahead of them in terms of readiness to play, but didn't see a whole lot of minutes.

As for the returnees... Hartwich looks stronger, but still doesn't have much of a feel around the basket. Ditto for Barreno.

I thought Taylor looked improved... was aggressive in the post, and showed a nice shooting range. I think he'll see a lot of minutes. Taylor looked really good.

Tyson put on a shooting display in the first half, hitting six threes. Still streaky as he missed most, if not all shots in the second half.

Wintering is great.

I have a feeling that if the team is going to do well, they will need a lot out of Jazz Johnson. He looks in really good shape, and was very confident. Was a bit tough to get a feel though, since he was on the other team from Wintering and Tyson. I have the feeling he will have a bit of a breakthrough season.

Marshall looked about the same as last year - I can't 100% remember, but I think he struggled a bit finishing. Jackson showed his athleticism and was being aggressive, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet. Would be nice to see him evolve into a player like Korey Thieleke was later in his career.

Xavier Hallinan got a nice stretch of minutes - he's a very solid walk-on and it wouldn't surprise me if he saw some situational minutes here and there.

I think that's everyone!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:56 pm

I've seen quite a few practices and watched the scrimmage last Friday....and although I've already commented with my observations, I wanted to add the following after the posts from the much older and wiser Stonehouse and blacksheep:

The offense is more up-tempo compared to last year (my first year watching the Pilots), in part, because it a much simpler easy flowing offense under Porter.

Smoyer is surprising everyone with his ability, and just yesterday he said he may actually play this year after being told he'd redshirt while Barreno and Hartwich shared the 5 spot.  Once he plays in a game that is not an exhibition game, he will no longer be eligible to redshirt unless he's injured.

Maker is an excellent athlete, but he's never played within a structured offense or defense.  When he was in high school his teammates would simply feed him the ball and let him do whatever he could do to put the ball through the hoop....that's not going to work against better competition.  It's probably just as well he won't be eligible to play until mid-December.

It really doesn't matter which Porter brother has the scholarship and which is a walk-on, but Franklin is by far the better player.  

Monson may have been an excellent high school player, but it seems pretty obvious he didn't play any ball during his two year mission in Ecuador....at least I hope it's just rust.

If I were to pick a starting lineup right now, it would be:
1. Wintering
2. Johnson
3. Marshall
4. Taylor
5. Hartwich/Barreno....it doesn't matter, as neither are D1 caliber at this point.  In fact, if Smoyer redshirts, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of Taylor at the 5 while Marshall moves to the 3/4 and Tyson plays a 2/3.

I had to ask some of older guys who Thieleke (mentioned by Stonehouse) is/was, and from what I've learned about him, I think Jackson could be the ideal second coming of Kory.

Hope you don't mind a new guy's perspective, but I occasionally drop in on practice and see these guys around campus all the time...
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Hope you don't mind a new guy's perspective

I'm pretty sure there aren't enough Pilots supporters out there to start getting uppity about who's giving their two cents on what's happening.

I appreciate all the updates and comments in here!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Hope you don't mind a new guy's perspective, but I occasionally drop in on practice and see these guys around campus all the time...

Thanks for your thoughts. Perspective away, since one of our really old commenters is giving us the silent treatment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Kinda takes away some of the charm of our own uninformed opinions...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:07 am

StudentPilot wrote:In my short time on this forum I haven't noticed much excitement about beer drinking, but if anyone is interested, there will be a party at the Pilot House on Wednesday October 26th, celebrating the seasonal release of the Terry Porter....a limited edition American-style Porter Ale.

I didn't make it to the party, but they gave away a 22 of Terry Porter to all the season ticket holders when they picked up tickets on Saturday. Due to family who don't drink beer, I ended up with more than one. I'm not usually a porter fan, but the beer was very solid.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next