Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland-Texas A&M, September 17

+26
purplehaze
gnarly
ktinpurple
soccerjoy
UPFAN
fozziewozzie
PilotPoser
harryb
Indigo Kid
A_Fan
jc
eProf
purple haze
agsoccer2007
Stonehouse
VillaGorilla
GUPhantom
pms275
fwill
Poopdeck Pappy
SoreKnees
fan from afar
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
Harry Redknapp
PurplePrideTrumpet
30 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Portland-Texas A&M, September 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland-Texas A&M, September 17

Post by eProf Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 pm

agsoccer2007 wrote:Always had an appreciation for Portland and Santa Clara also, def. root for them over the usual giants.
Likewise. I like your coach and root for A&M often. In fact, I can't think of a time I've ever rooted against the Aggies except when they're playing the Pilots.

I'm hoping we don't get quarter-bracketed together. I'd like to see the Pilots join the Aggies at the College Cup this year. You guys have been so close to making it.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Portland-Texas A&M, September 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Portland-Texas A&M, September 17

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 am

Now that we are done with the lovefest, I have a question.

What's with the coach G. Guerrieri thing? Is there a tax on names by the letter in Texas? Is it a leftover from his Playing Jersey? Is he in the witness protection program? His name is nowhere on the website.

I had to go to reverse Whois to figure out it might be Gerald and that he owns coachg.com and a bunch of other related sites.

Too bad. I was hoping for Guglielmo or Guillermo or Geraldo or something...
Not that there is anything wrong with Gerald - not any worse than Garrett. Cool

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 am

A nice Steve Brandon article on the game in the trib.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story_2nd.php?story_id=128462019343775700
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by agsoccer2007 Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:30 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Now that we are done with the lovefest, I have a question.

What's with the coach G. Guerrieri thing? Is there a tax on names by the letter in Texas? Is it a leftover from his Playing Jersey? Is he in the witness protection program? His name is nowhere on the website.

I had to go to reverse Whois to figure out it might be Gerald and that he owns coachg.com and a bunch of other related sites.

Too bad. I was hoping for Guglielmo or Guillermo or Geraldo or something...
Not that there is anything wrong with Gerald - not any worse than Garrett. Cool

Honestly... I have no idea...

Maybe it's just one of those deals where you go buy G. for so long it pretty much becomes your name... who knows, the guy probably has all his bank accounts, credit cards, insurance paperwork, mortgage, and everything under "G Guerrieri" ... that would be my assumption.

agsoccer2007
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:07 am

Maybe it's just one of those deals where you go buy G. for so long it pretty much becomes your name... who knows, the guy probably has all his bank accounts, credit cards, insurance paperwork, mortgage, and everything under "G Guerrieri" ... that would be my assumption.
Or maybe all the vowels got used up in the surname.
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by agsoccer2007 Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

jc wrote:
Or maybe all the vowels got used up in the surname.

not as likely but certainly a possibility Smile

agsoccer2007
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 am

The Tribune link comes up with this warning:

"Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.portlandtribune.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

Did anyone else get this warning?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am

A_Fan wrote:The Tribune link comes up with this warning:

"Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.portlandtribune.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

Did anyone else get this warning?

nope. I get the article. clear your cookies or change your security preference to something a little less restrictive. more likely, it's somebody trying to get you to click on a link that will ask you that stuff under false pretenses. you probably got it on one of those "recreational" sites Very Happy, or it is one of the adds on the page triggering the warning. ( the "use paperless billing" ad?)

Relax, you have a Mac. There are no attack programs.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 am

OK, I read the article and have had no repercussions - so far! Good article.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:42 pm

I not only got the Attack Warning but it did something to my PC. I can't boot it. AM using a borrowed PC until mine can be fixed.
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Bummer. I sent an email to the Trib.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:15 pm

The same warning came up for me when I clicked the link and I'm a Mac user. I've never come across a warning like that.
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I got the same warning. Haven't noticed any damage yet.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:15 pm

I got the same warning. Ran a virus-check and found a virus. Could be related.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotPoser Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I also got the same warning, am a mac user so no problems but it was strange

PilotPoser
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 pm

moistpits is at work!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 am

I don't think Moisty is bright enough, but maybe he hired someone.
There is a printer friendly version that bypasses the main site and doesn't have the ads. You might want to check to see if you get the messages there.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/print_story.php?story_id=128462019343775700

Here's another article from The O for you out of towners (the rest of you are supporting the paper with a buck every day, right?)
Again, it's mostly Capelle. When you are on a roll everyone wants to talk to you..

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2010/09/portland_pilots_soccer_micaela.html

Goeffrey C. Arnold needs to credit me. I do all the legwork to find out coach G.'s first name, and now it's in print on a website for just about the only place except the Tulsa record book. Razz

"They're loaded. No matter what the position, no matter what their role is," Texas A&M coach Gerald Guerrieri said. "We've got to be on our toes and conscious of all the different weapons that they have."

KGW had a lead in to the game ( Capelle again) with Penn State highlights. Maybe we'll get to see them when this game is over on the Game Time portal...

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:01 am

geez,
i wish i could have read the 2nd page of Steve Brandon's Trib column about U of P soccer, but for some reason it wouldnt load.
By my profile you know im not a young person, but i do remember steve bandon....not because he was a journalist, but because he was an umpire for my grade school softball games. An the only reason i remember his name is because even at that age i knew he was really GOOD.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 am

Hmm, the printer friendly page is the whole article for me. without the ads, you don't have to read two pages. But considering the virus issue, I'll just post the whole thing..

PILOTS SOCCER: UP women remember Texas A&M
BY STEVE BRANDON
The Portland Tribune, Sep 15, 2010

Portland-Texas A&M, September 17 - Page 2 128462048055620100
CHRISTOPHER ONSTOTT / PORTLAND TRIBUNE
Elli Reed, one of four seniors who start for the Portland Pilots, plays the ball ahead through the Penn State defense in last week's 4-2 home victory.

Garrett Smith likes the position the Portland Pilots have put themselves in after eight games.

"We're right where we need to be," he says of a women's soccer team that is 8-0 and ranked No. 3 in the country.

But to get the playoff position the Pilots desire, they need a good result Friday night at Merlo Field. To sustain a blemish at home from the 7 p.m. game with No. 6 Texas A&M (6-1) would damage Portland's hopes of getting a No. 1 seed in the NCAA playoffs.

It was Texas A&M that dealt UP a regular-season blow last year, beating the Pilots 3-1 on Sept. 18 at College Station, Texas. That proved to be the only loss Portland had before the postseason, but it apparently was enough to keep them out of a No. 1 seed, and it forced them to play their quarterfinal match at UCLA, where they lost 2-1.

"Oh, yeah, we always try to remember what history is, for every opponent," Smith says, when asked if the Pilots want some revenge. "We treat this as a must-win game. Right now, the goal is 9-0, and A&M is the next team in our way. Last year is history, but we still remember."

Reflecting on that 2009 defeat, Smith says "the one thing we learned was about our approach to the game. It was our first out-of-region trip in a long time, and we may have just been off a little bit. I think that game refocused our team. After that game, we went on a tear in terms of scoring and limiting goals. It (the loss) may have been a good thing for our team."

Both teams come into Friday's game on something of a tear.

The Pilots keep holding other teams to few quality chances and have found ways to win, behind senior captains Sophie Schmidt and Keelin Winters and many others, and with a freshman, Micaela Capelle, leading them in scoring.

The Aggies have been scoring at a high rate, with 21 goals in a six-game win streak since dropping their opener 3-0 at home to No. 1-ranked North Carolina. Four Aggies have scored at least three goals, and another veteran, Bri Young, leads the club with five assists.

Texas A&M returned 11 starters, along with some players who sat out 2009 with injuries, and the Aggies were no slouch last year, reaching the NCAA round of 16 and ranking No. 13.

The Pilots can't afford to look ahead to their Sept. 25 match at No. 2 Stanford or the West Coast Conference schedule.

"A&M has nationally recognized players. They're a nationally recognized program," Smith says. "When we scheduled this game a couple of years ago, we expected that they would be tough to play this year and would be a good matchup, a potential Final Four or finals team."

Of course, so are the Pilots.

"We're playing very, very well," Smith says.

Especially after halftime. The Pilots have outscored opponents only 5-3 in the first half of games and 12-2 after intermission.

Smith moved Capelle into the starting lineup because she was finding the back of the net off the bench.

"We started the season with Dani (Foxhoven) and Halley (Kreminski) up front – they were our two veterans and they earned the spot – but we found we weren't scoring any goals early in games," Smith says. "Micaela turned out to be our leading goal scorer, so it just seemed warranted that the leading goal scorer should be given the opportunity to be a starter.

"Every player here knows the best 11 play."

The Pilots are one of seven Division I teams without a loss or tie through the first nearly month of the season. The others are Georgetown and Maryland (both 7-0), Florida and Louisville (both 6-0), Siena (5-0) and Oregon State (4-0). Smith's players would like to stay in that group.

"We're just trying to take care of business," he says, "and win out, and hopefully our strength of schedule, with our out-of-conference games, will be good enough this year to earn a top playoff seed."
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by agsoccer2007 Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:25 am

Can anyone answer this for me: is there a cost to watch the live feed tonight online or is it pretty much free to view? I'm really hoping for the second but I'll stomach the $$ if I have to

agsoccer2007
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 am

agsoccer2007 wrote:Can anyone answer this for me: is there a cost to watch the live feed tonight online or is it pretty much free to view? I'm really hoping for the second but I'll stomach the $$ if I have to

It's free for everyone.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:38 am

Free for all. It looks like you have to sign up, but you don't.

Just enjoy, and it will work with apple mobile devices,as well.

As long as it's Friday I'll mention you probably wouldn't have been happy up here with the beer selection. No Shiner. This is beertopia. The stuff is seen as more than something to put out the fire. Besides, there are about 300 selections of the stuff, all different, and there is no way even a Texan could sample it all in a day.

One fellow did have a Pint at each of 34 local brew pubs (the day he tried, the last was closed.) stuff of legend.
There is no truth to the rumor that the guy who hits all 35 will be ensconced on the Pilot wall of fame like the other local heros.

So when you finally do make it up, bring your own watered down stuff. Cheers!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks for posting the Trib article, Geez. And for the record, you can buy Shiner Bock at Belmont Station, but I don't know why anyone would want to. Give me Beer!
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Couple articles on Texas A&M team from student newspaper:
http://www.thebatt.com/sports/gnatzig-siezes-the-moment-in-final-season-1.1603673
http://www.thebatt.com/sports/aggies-head-into-portland-on-a-roll-1.1603630
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 pm

fwill wrote:Thanks for posting the Trib article, Geez. And for the record, you can buy Shiner Bock at Belmont Station, but I don't know why anyone would want to. Give me Beer!

I though you could, but I checked their POS inventory on line and it wasn't there. Maybe they don't want to put it online for fear of chasing the beer drinkers away Embarassed
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next