Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT

+2
MesaPilot1
Dean Murdoch
6 posters

Go down

Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT Empty Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 pm

DATE: Saturday, Nov. 10
TIME: 4:30 PM Hawaii (6:30 Pacific)
VIDEO: None
PILOTS RADIO: 910 ESPN
KENPOM PREDICTION: 75-72 North Texas (North Texas 164, Portland 230)
SAGARIN PREDICTION: North Texas by 13 (North Texas 150, Portland 328)
MASSEY PREDICTION: 77-68 North Texas (North Texas 134, Portland 301)

PORTLAND (1-1)
PG: Marcus Shaver (6-2, So)
SG: JoJo Walker (6-1, So)
SF: Josh McSwiggan (6-7, Jr)
PF: Jacob Tryon (7-0, So)
C: Theo Akwuba (6-10, Fr)
6th: Malcolm Porter (6-4, So)

NORTH TEXAS (2-0)
PG: Ryan Woolridge (6-3, Jr)
SG: Umoja Gibson (6-1, Fr)
SF: Jorden Duffy (6-1, Sr)
PF: Jahmiah Simmons (6-4, So)
C: Zachary Simmons (6-10, So)
6th: D.J. Draper (5-10, Jr)

Umoja Gibson was once offered by Coach Reveno's staff, if you consider DoubleDipper a credible source. Very Happy

Gibson took a redshirt season last year and has gone for 32 and 27 points in his first two games to start off this season... Shocked
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT Empty Re: Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks Dean, isn't North Texas supposed to be the best team in the field this year?.... Oh boy Rolling Eyes , I hope I'm mistaken

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT Empty Re: Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 pm

North Texas wins 78-73.

Radio link didn't seem to be broadcasting the game (maybe it's local only), so no post game interview recordings from me if any. Based on the live stats alone, I'm surprised and pleased that despite the loss, they at least kept it within one possession. Still unable to capitalize in key moments though.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 pm

The radio link didn't work for me, yesterday and today. I am wondering if maybe me being outside the States has anything to do with it?

Cut it to a one-possession lead a couple of times down the stretch but just couldn't break through. Pilots are now 0-for-2 when I make game threads, so I'm done for the foreseeable future.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Cut it to a one-possession lead a couple of times down the stretch but just couldn't break through.
The Pilots played a lot better than I expected!

Even if Jacob and Crisshawn were healthy, it was not a game the Pilots were expected to win.  I understand one commentator predicted the Pilots would, "lose by at least 20" after their loss to Hawaii and with only 9 scholarship players available.

North Texas is very good and was coming in with more rest after a "walkover game" vs. Humboldt while TP played a short bench against Hawaii the day before.

Obviously a breakout game for JoJo, and really solid performances from Hugh and D, and while maybe less productive according the stats, TP is giving Theo the experience he will need once the WCC season begins.
Dean Murdoch wrote: Pilots are now 0-for-2 when I make game threads, so I'm done for the foreseeable future.
Haha, if we all were to cease starting a game thread after two UP losses in row, there would be zero threads! Maybe your buddy Terry Cahill could rejoin the forum and try his luck! Razz
Portland/North Texas - 11/10, 4:30 HT Fubar10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Maybe your buddy Terry Cahill could rejoin the forum and try his luck! Razz

Terry clearly couldn't handle the rigors of being a Pilots fan.

Anyone know the status of Tryon? Or have an update on Crisshawn, for that matter? I'm assuming they would have mentioned something in the radio broadcast but I wouldn't know since it wasn't available in my particular country Rolling Eyes
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Anyone know the status of Tryon? Or have an update on Crisshawn, for that matter?
In light of Scott Leykam's letter regarding sports gambling, I'm guessing UP would rather we didn't discuss player injuries on a public forum such as PN.

When I get the opportunity I'll ask UP's compliance people in person for further clarification, but for now, it would seem prudent to not discuss injuries.
Scott Leykam wrote:One of the biggest concerns athletic departments across the country are facing is the passing of insider information for gambling purposes. For example, a major NCAA violation occurs if an individual places a sports wager with relevant inside information (e.g. advanced knowledge of a team line-up or student-athlete injury that has not been made public) attained by speaking with a student-athlete, coach or athletic department staff member.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 am

DoubleDipper wrote:In light of Scott Leykam's letter regarding sports gambling, I'm guessing UP would rather we didn't discuss player injuries on a public forum such as PN.

When I get the opportunity I'll ask UP's compliance people in person for further clarification, but for now, it would seem prudent to not discuss injuries.
Scott Leykam wrote:One of the biggest concerns athletic departments across the country are facing is the passing of insider information for gambling purposes. For example, a major NCAA violation occurs if an individual places a sports wager with relevant inside information (e.g. advanced knowledge of a team line-up or student-athlete injury that has not been made public) attained by speaking with a student-athlete, coach or athletic department staff member.

For sure. I thought maybe they might have mentioned it on the radio broadcast which I couldn't listen to, which would turn it into "public knowledge" and therefore okay to discuss here.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm

If you don’t want people to know If Crisshawn is hurt or not, maybe you shouldn’t place him in the stands behind the bench  in street clothes where I could see him from Argentina.

I understand the concern about sports gambling, but for either the NCAA or UP to try to pawn that issue off on fans is ridiculous. The NCAA fosters sports gambling. It’s part of their marketing scheme and part of what makes March Madness the biggest moneymaker for the NCAA.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 pm

If it's on an internet forum I think that's public knowledge. Don't go placing bets until after your see news here...

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 pm

dholcombe wrote:If it's on an internet forum I think that's public knowledge. Don't go placing bets until after your see news here...
Yeah, that seems logical to me!

It's certainly public once it reaches PN, and it's who it is that makes the wager AND the source of the information that's apparently the problem....
a major NCAA violation occurs if an individual places a sports wager with relevant inside information (e.g. advanced knowledge of a team line-up or student-athlete injury that has not been made public) attained by speaking with a student-athlete, coach or athletic department staff member.
It would seem to me your reasoning is correct in that if I, for example, share information I've received from a coach on a public forum such as PN, but I do not make a bet myself, it is not illegal. And if you, having read inside information on this public forum were to make a bet, it too would not be illegal!

The letter from Scott is obviously a boiler-plate letter written by a lawyer, but taking it literally, it would seem that I can repeat that I was told by TP at last night's soccer match that Jacob reinjured his foot in Hawaii and could be out at least two weeks, perhaps much longer, as long as I don't place a wager on that information.

What do you think?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
dholcombe wrote:If it's on an internet forum I think that's public knowledge. Don't go placing bets until after your see news here...
Yeah, that seems logical to me!

It's certainly public once it reaches PN, and it's who it is that makes the wager AND the source of the information that's apparently the problem....
a major NCAA violation occurs if an individual places a sports wager with relevant inside information (e.g. advanced knowledge of a team line-up or student-athlete injury that has not been made public) attained by speaking with a student-athlete, coach or athletic department staff member.
It would seem to me your reasoning is correct in that if I, for example, share information I've received from a coach on a public forum such as PN, but I do not make a bet myself, it is not illegal. And if you, having read inside information on this public forum were to make a bet, it too would not be illegal!

The letter from Scott is obviously a boiler-plate letter written by a lawyer, but taking it literally, it would seem that I can repeat that I was told by TP at last night's soccer match that Jacob reinjured his foot in Hawaii and could be out at least two weeks, perhaps much longer, as long as I don't place a wager on that information.

What do you think?

I think anyone making bets on the play of the Pilots is foolish, as it is too unpredictable.

Back to top Go down