Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMU / Oklahoma St.

+19
FANatic
GUPhantom
UPreveler
PilotDrummer
purple passion
Harry Redknapp
wrv
fozziewozzie
PurplePrideTrumpet
SoreKnees
PilotNut
BigBro
A_Fan
Indigo Kid
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
fan from afar
harryb
UPFAN
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SMU / Oklahoma St.  - Page 3 Empty Re: SMU / Oklahoma St.

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:28 pm

I agree whole heartedly geez about redshirting should make sense.

That is why my suggestion of Molly an Emma resdhirting was stratigic. We are losing both Elli an Jess this season an Molly an Emma are both outside backs. I loved Molly last year, think she has an incredible future with our program. As for Emma, I view her as another Jess, an did the minute I saw her play, but how many people can replace Jess?

It seems we agree that the third keep should be red shirted, so that leaves a possiblility of a fourth player. My suggestion is Elinor Priest. Liked her a lot last year an thought that this year she would be Halley from her 1st to 2nd year progress. Since she hasnt gotten on the field this year when frosh have, seems like a good idea. I still believe in Elinor
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBro Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:34 am

I also am a big fan of Elinor's. It certainly seems to me that Coach G has a preference for smaller forwards - and with our playstyle, I can see why. That being said, shes probably the most physically dominant player on the team (I still remember when the first stat she collected was a foul by steamrolling a defender going for a 50/50... oops), and we know she has a cannon.

I see a lot of parallels between her skillset and physical attributes with Keelin and Sophie, but those two players are also personally directly responsible for half of our wins to date.

The insane depth of talent and frustrating lack of finishing is going to make it tough for the players who don't start this year.

BigBro
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 am

I too agree with all the main comments to date regarding UP's offense. (It's coming together.)

However, I am looking forward to see how our starting defense performs against a team that actually brings their offense to the game!

The game against OS would have been a better test if not for the fact that two of their best forwards were indisposed - one due to knee injury, the other due to the after-effects of a fist fight!

I am confident our squad will perform -- I am just looking forward to seeing them play against some kind of pressure.

I would also like to see them challanged a bit prior to facing back to backs against Rutgers, PSU, Texas A&M, Cal and Stanford.

(Let them have a warm up before entering that campaign.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:34 am

No sympathy for OSU. If you think fighting and hair pulling are part of the game, you need to sit, your team should suffer. The fighting red should be for the specified two games, also. The last time a team played us with that attitude, we lost both Rapinoes for the year.

Reports out of UCLA are that Wisconsin bunkered heavily in their game, so we may see yet another team in it's shell. The last time they played us at Merlo, they didn't get a shot off until about 10 minutes left. The student section cheered.

Was there a bunkering clinic at the last NSCAA coaches convention or something?

If somebody ever plays us straight up, I think the forwards will feast. They ought to be motivated enough.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:52 am

I agree whole heartedly Geez.

When a team ever plays us straight up, I believe our defense will rise to the task and our offense will play like they've had their handcuffs removed.

(I look forward to that day.)

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 am

"Bunkering" is apparently the tactic of choice for many, perhaps always has been--UO outshot SMU 22 to 3 on Sunday. Erickson complemented the Mustangs for "putting a lot of people in the box," if that is a complement. We know of what she speaks.

I agree that it will be nice when a high caliber team plays us straight up--I suspect that will give us more information about where this team is and likely to go. OS was no slouch though.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:25 pm

In the first half, I really didn't feel like OSU was bunkering. As the Pilots would bring the ball into their half, they would have 4-6 players back near the 18, but they more or less played our midfielders up the field. It wasn't until our attack started to pin them back that they retreated behind the ball. At least they seemed less one-dimensionally defensive than the first two home opponents and tried to contest the midfield when they could.

To some extent the Pilots may invite a bunkered defense because we tend to get7-8 players forward into the attacking third while probing around the perimeter with passes. It seems pretty natural to have 9-10 players back near the box when the opponent has 8 coming forward.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:05 pm

To some extent the Pilots may invite a bunkered defense because we tend to get7-8 players forward into the attacking third while probing around the perimeter with passes. It seems pretty natural to have 9-10 players back near the box when the opponent has 8 coming forward. [/quote]

That's a real good observation. When Elli and Jessica come forward, their defenders have to come with them. Same with Keelin. It's really hard to tell for sure on the little computer screen, but there are times when it looks like it might be better to attack quicker and not wait for all the support to come up.

On the other hand, maybe you need a Michelle to do that. She was dynamite in those situations. I still remember (when I was out there) the anticipation that built in the stands when Michelle started to get wound up for a run, with or without the ball. You could feel it even when she started an overlap run through the box (knowledgible fans!!)
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 pm

To some extent the Pilots may invite a bunkered defense because we tend to get7-8 players forward into the attacking third while probing around the perimeter with passes. It seems pretty natural to have 9-10 players back near the box when the opponent has 8 coming forward. [/quote]

That's a real good observation. When Elli and Jessica come forward, their defenders have to come with them. Same with Keelin. It's really hard to tell for sure on the little computer screen, but there are times when it looks like it might be better to attack quicker and not wait for all the support to come up.

On the other hand, maybe you need a Michelle to do that. She was dynamite in those situations. I still remember (when I was out there) the anticipation that built in the stands when Michelle started to get wound up for a run, with or without the ball. You could feel it even when she started an overlap run through the box (knowledgible fans!!)
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:17 pm

[On the other hand, maybe you need a Michelle to do that. She was dynamite in those situations. I still remember (when I was out there) the anticipation that built in the stands when Michelle started to get wound up for a run, with or without the ball. You could feel it even when she started an overlap run through the box (knowledgible fans!!)]

Regarding your observation above, I noticed the same thing when I watched Megan Rapino play in 2008. She created a certain electricity when she was on the field. I imagine Christine Sinclair did the same thing.

Reminds me of when Reggie Jackson played for the Yankees (during the World Series)..... you didn't know what he was going to do when he came to the plate - You just know he was going to do SOMETHING.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Actually, Sophie and Keelin gave fans in my section the same feeling at the end of yesterdays game. they both stepped up a notch.

That score was not a surprise.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 pm

I got that feeling from them on Sunday too.

I had an ideal those two would step it up to the next level (and pull their teammates up there with them).

It was just question of when.

I love when that happens in team sports.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Was there a bunkering clinic at the last NSCAA coaches convention or something?

If somebody ever plays us straight up, I think the forwards will feast. They ought to be motivated enough.
It was called the World Cup.

I heard Joachim Low's workshop on putting together outfits for your coaching staff was very popular.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotPoser Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Seems like as the offense works to find their rhythm, the defense has "stepped it up" week after week allowing the offense the time they need to score.

4 games 1 goal (a deflection).

There are other aspects to the game to appreciate besides scoring.

PilotPoser
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:20 pm

BigBro wrote:I also am a big fan of Elinor's. It certainly seems to me that Coach G has a preference for smaller forwards - and with our playstyle, I can see why. .

Starting up front is Hallie Kreminski - who has doubtless been called many things; but a smaller forward is not one of them!
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:41 pm

On the computer, Amanda Frisbie also looked tall and strong, and also maybe pretty fast. Is that the case?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Amanda F is 5'8". Not sure how fast she is yet.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:26 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:.... Was there a bunkering clinic at the last NSCAA coaches convention or something?

Next trivia question: In which 2009 NCAA Tournament first round game was there a bunkering clinic?

(This is a meatball for the Geez to hit out of the park without even having to think about it.)
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBro Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:

Starting up front is Hallie Kreminski - who has doubtless been called many things; but a smaller forward is not one of them!

She's also been subbed out with uncharacteristic alacrity for Capelle, who played a lot of sunday's game. I may be confusing sunday and friday, but I think Hallie came in to play some mid at one point?

BigBro
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:50 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:.... Was there a bunkering clinic at the last NSCAA coaches convention or something?

Next trivia question: In which 2009 NCAA Tournament first round game was there a bunkering clinic?

(This is a meatball for the Geez to hit out of the park without even having to think about it.)

High Point v UNC. High point had an RPI of like 300 against UNC's #1, and almost took them to shootout.

Boy! were the UNC folks pissed. I commended the High Point coaches for giving themselves the best chance for win, which of course made me unpopular with the powder blue folks.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Yeah, Hallie played attacking mid late in the game when Sophie moved up to striker. Frisbie is tall and strong. What I like about her "best goals" video (someone shared the link somewhere that I can't find now) is that she scores from distance and is looking for the long-range shot. That won't always work against college keepers, but it's something this team can use in its arsenal. Military history 101: Bust a bunker with a long-range bomb.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Capelle was subbed in for Dani in the first half v. Cal State and in the second half v. PSU.

Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:00 am

fan from afar,
i really do hate to do this to frisbee. I was personally totally excited to see her enter the game!! She played about 20 minutes total an in my opinion turnd the ball over every time she touched it.
on the other hand, she 'passes the eyeball' test 100%!! frisbee looks like a player!!! the thing that disappointed me most was that she wasnt physically stronger. once she is, watch out!!! how is that for constructive criticism?

fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:06 am

fozziewozzie wrote:fan from afar,
i really do hate to do this to frisbee. I was personally totally excited to see her enter the game!! She played about 20 minutes total an in my opinion turnd the ball over every time she touched it.
on the other hand, she 'passes the eyeball' test 100%!! frisbee looks like a player!!! the thing that disappointed me most was that she wasnt physically stronger. once she is, watch out!!! how is that for constructive criticism?

That's exactly what I thought I was seeing. Maybe a redshirt possibility?

fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Fozzie and FFA...I had the same impressions of Amanda! She stood out on the pitch...looked physically imposing and threatening! Unfortunately, it did not match her performance. . I think a little mix of rust, freshman jitters and maybe trying too hard to too soon to make an immediate impression....were the reasons she didn't have much affect. She wasn't in very long. And it was pretty noticible that she wasn't happy with herself when she was subbed out. Sara Bridges similarly. No worries though...I trust that it'll come together for both of them and they'll both become big Pilot stars.

Contrast this. It's funny how some players just look like they belong at a D1 level and can handle themselves maturely right away. I'm talking about Micaela! What a gem! She looks so comfortable already out there! No fear, confident, aggressive and ready to take on a big offensive role! Talk about coming in under the radar compared to the other recruits in her class? But, when she's on the pitch...she just seems to have the ability to get involved and....seems to make things happen!! IMHO....She has an the "it" ability... to stand out on the pitch! I can't seem to take my eye off her...even when she's away from the ball. Good stuff. She's fun to watch.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3