Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMU / Oklahoma St.

+19
FANatic
GUPhantom
UPreveler
PilotDrummer
purple passion
Harry Redknapp
wrv
fozziewozzie
PurplePrideTrumpet
SoreKnees
PilotNut
BigBro
A_Fan
Indigo Kid
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
fan from afar
harryb
UPFAN
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SMU / Oklahoma St.  - Page 2 Empty Re: SMU / Oklahoma St.

Post by wrv Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:02 am

I agree that Micaela appears to be an offensive spark . . .she certainly puts the ball on goal with pace, which does not appear to occur too frequently in her absence, at least so far.

But I also agree with the assesment on Erin Dees. There have been balls on which Erin has retreated into the net that I think she could have gotten had she not retreated, creating opportunities for our opponents. She appears tentative. Clearly has a strong leg. I too suspect she will be good once she gets more settled.

I wonder whether Oklahoma State will be a tough match for us, difficult to score, etc. I would start Micaela as our opportunities too score may be more limited.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:07 am

Had to watch the game on video last night: couldn't be at Merlo. Wife's birthday party. Thought about going to game an watching party on video but not a good idea!

My impression was that Pilots did not get as much success as usual in taking people on and getting to the byline and getting crosses in. Tayor/Michelle C and Kendall had relatively quiet games. Not bad, just not as impressive as we have seen in the past. On offense Sophie did not touch the ball as much as we'd like (Megan Sweeney commented on that).

Dani is searching for her touch. Last year I thought she had improved coming deep and with her back to the goal; not there yet this season. Having said that she took her goal very well.

Couldn't tell from video but it looked like SMU had only one person up front and was getting lots of people behind the ball.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:08 am

For all the questions about Erin Dees she made one very important save when the ball deflected off a defender out left into the path of a runner for SMU and Erin came out got down and pushed it wide.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:00 am

SMU was late getting on the field...is that the reason there was no introduction of players, Pilot for the Day, or National Anthem???
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:06 am

Dani's scoring reputation appears to be something other teams respect and she seems to be drawing constant defensive attention. I haven't watched the replay of the game yet, but it seemed like there were 2 defenders on her whenever she touched the ball (I know that's not literally true, but it felt like it from the stands). Her work rate remains high despite the defensive attention which is great to see.

I think they were having mic problems - again! That's why no intro's or anthem.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:53 am

I asked about the interesting start...sounds like a circuit breaker was tripped, hence no player intros.

There was an anthem...didn't you guys hear the student section sing?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by UPreveler Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:06 am

Big thanks and well done to the student section.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 am

I think weaker teams have no choice but to defend the way SMU did last night. Basically, they just sat back and waited. SMU let the Pilots have the mid-field for sure. The outside backs (Jessica, Elli in particular) had so much space and freedom whenever they started an attack. Many times they'd received a switched ball from Keelin and literally....have a 25 yard run unmarked. Keelin was essentially distributing the ball to the wings unchallenged.

Whenever the Pilots got nearer to the box, the sheer mass of bodies became a defensive tool for SMU. The Pilots excellent possession and passing opened things up a little bit and provided some scoring opportunities... but most teams would be stymied by it. To me...the key stat in the learning curve for the team in this match came was the team's...patience and efficiency! I think the Pilots ended up with just under 15 shots on goal last night? Nothing like 27 shots they put up against PSU....who had implemented a similar defensive strategy.

I'm not worried about the assumed lack of speed our forwards have. Stronger teams...who believe they have the players to keep up... or mark us 1 on 1 will be in for a BIG surprise if they play us looser in the box. I think the Pilots offensive style of play more than compensates for any our player's lack of speed. When it comes down to it...you don't have to be too fast... if you create an advantage to get open on the receiving end of a pass... and have the abilities to put the ball in the back of the net! Players like Dani and Halley thrive in this system. I loved what I saw in Michelle C, Micaela C, Kendall and Brooke. I think we'll see them step up and shine against top tier teams if they focus on Dani. That was the mistake opponents made when Christine was playing.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 am

Just a couple thoughts on SMU match:

I thought M. Cruz got more and more dangerous on the right wing as the second half wore on. I was thinking it might not be long before she is scoring or assisting on a goal. Seems like she was taking on two or three defenders and had them back-pedalling more and more as time passed. Her confidence since game one against PSU is growing quickly now, I believe.

M. Capelle, it appears more and more, is going to be the real deal for the Pilots at striker. Dani and Halley have their strengths, that's for sure. But with teams loading the box with 9 defenders or so, it's almost impossible to get through unless you have someone with Micaela's explosive speed, crafty quicknees and flair for the game.

Interesting. We haven't even seen Amanda Frisbee or Ellen Parker thus far. And I've heard they are fairly decent players... Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:39 am

FANatic wrote:.
We haven't even seen Amanda Frisbee or Ellen Parker thus far. And I've heard they are fairly decent players... Twisted Evil

They are coming off injuries. Hope to see them both soon.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by golaso Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:39 am

I would love to see micaela C play at wing. her speed and work rate are great. no one has said anything about it, but in the first half i thought halley played incredible. she played with more confidence with her back to her goal than i have seen out of her, and i think she is really turning into a great target forward. she held the ball very well and for the first time, turned and attacked the defense. her development has been amazing to watch, and i'm excited to see her progress even more. i believe that halley and dani are building a great relationship, as witnessed in them switching roles and dani taking a long ball of her chest perfectly into the path of an advancing kreminski. i think micaela creates a great spark, i just think halley is developing so much that i would hate to see that halted. she is gaining confidence every game, and with micaela running at the defense from the wing, i think those three players could really gel well together and become an impressive strike force.

golaso
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:39 am

I agree about Cruz - I thought she looked much more confident last night. I'd like to see her take defenders on more.

The point about speed isn't just about speed, it's about the ability to get off a shot when covered in the area around the box. Quickness might actually be a better term than pure speed - they don't always go together. Michaela seems to me to have that ability, and I don't think the other attackers do. They definitely have other real strengths, but taking someone on in close quarters is not one of them. I think Sophie also has that ability - using her quickness and footskills rather than pure speed - but I don't think you can move her from midfield.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 am

I like the SMU coach's post-game statement: "I think Portland is the best team in the country. I think the way they play is the best in the country. I think the environment is the best in the country."
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:32 am

I'd love to hear the quotes in context. The way he was acting up on the sidelines, it might have been a Rasheed "both teams played hard" quote.

<edit> so I went hunting for it..

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2010/08/portland_pilots_strike_hard_do.html

And it looks pretty qenuine.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Worthy of note is that Sarah Bridges got into the SMU game and showed college-level skill playing left mid. It's just not the Pilots without a #12 jersey on the pitch! (We've come to expect the best from those wearing that number.) She is definitely one to watch as this team develops.

purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:31 pm

purple haze wrote:Worthy of note is that Sarah Bridges got into the SMU game and showed college-level skill playing left mid. It's just not the Pilots without a #12 jersey on the pitch! (We've come to expect the best from those wearing that number.) She is definitely one to watch as this team develops.

With Vanessa Talbot, Christine Sinclair and Michelle Enyeart being the last three players to don #12, Sarah has a big jersey to fill. She looked good out there; I look forward to seeing more of her.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:47 pm

eProf wrote:
purple haze wrote:Worthy of note is that Sarah Bridges got into the SMU game and showed college-level skill playing left mid. It's just not the Pilots without a #12 jersey on the pitch! (We've come to expect the best from those wearing that number.) She is definitely one to watch as this team develops.

With Vanessa Talbot, Christine Sinclair and Michelle Enyeart being the last three players to don #12, Sarah has a big jersey to fill. She looked good out there; I look forward to seeing more of her.

question 12c) Who wore the #12 jersey before Talbot?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Some observations;
#1 re dani garnering so much defensive attention. I believe that Sophie is drawing an equal amount of attention. We need our supporting cast to step up because of the pressure Dani an Soph are getting.
#2 re Sarah B first action. While I agree that she looked very good, I also took into consideration that she came into the game when SMU was playing a man down an were at the point in the game where they were dog-tired by then. I would like to reserve my judgment until we can see her more often an against a full squad.
#3 re michaela cappelle. One of the things that I noticed against SMU is how Michaela doesnt shy away from contact whether it's initiated or received. Most frosh are very tenative when they think they are going to get hit. Not Michaela.
#4 kendra chandhoke. Lastly, while we are all fretting about who plays where an when, what are we going to do when Kendra comes back?? I think we can all can agree that you cant keep Kendra on the bench. Maybe we should consider red-shirting a couple of our young players?
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Another thought, does anyone know why clohoe had what looked like a soft cast on her right wrist/forearm??
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Just really hoping Kendra is going at full speed by the NCAA's!! Redshirting a few of the younger players might then become a sensible option.

I THINK I would love seeing Kendra at attacker paired with Danielle.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:02 pm

fan from afar wrote:Just really hoping Kendra is going at full speed by the NCAA's!! Redshirting a few of the younger players might then become a sensible option.

I THINK I would love seeing Kendra at attacker paired with Danielle.

I don't think redshirting players around Kendra's injury is much of an option. If they redshirt, they can't play at all, or get an injury in the first half of the season and play in less than 30% of the schedule.

Although we are optimistic about her coming back, we don't know yet when that will be or if she will be game ready and fully fit. And it wouldn't seem fair to the freshmen for them to burn their redshirts and have their development suffer because her injury. you only get 5 years in which to use up your 4 years of College eligibility.

Redshirts are OK, but they should make sense for their own careers. If you redshirt them, they won't have game experience when this Senior class is gone. They will be asked to fill some huge gaps next year without their having game experience.

Besides, I'd love to have the problem of having too many hungry, fresh players at the end of the season. the last few years, it seems we have had the other issue. We have what may be the biggest roster since I've been watching the team. lets use it. I like the idea of players getting more rest each weekend.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:37 am

It would be a gorgeous sight to see Kendra back and playing at the level she was at last fall -- attacking with speed, going for every header, really stressing the other team's defense. As Geez says, there's no guarantee of when or how she will play. I agree with the comment that Michaela is not afraid of contact. She goes right at the other team. She's the type of player the opponent hates to face -- a real pest with great moves, a feisty spirit and a knack for scoring.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:02 pm

As much as I hate to disagree with geez, I'm not talking entirely about our frosh. Right now, from what I can see our walking wounded are Molly, Emma, Kendra an Ellen. Of the four, I could see red shirting Emma and Molly. As for the bench that hasnt any action, my first choices are Elinor an probably the other frosh keep. We are so incredibly deep this year we can afford to red shirt a few players even if there are a couple or three injuries. Does anyone really think Kendra isnt coming back?!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Kendra is coming back. Word is that she could be on the field in September. Let's hope so. If she is anything like she was last year before she got hurt then she will have an impact.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Fozzie,

I think Kendra is coming back, but she will need some time t get game fit when she does, and I don't think it should be rushed.

I'm just saying if kids need to redshirt, it should make sense. Even for the ones that are hurt, they should be ready to come in if the team needs them later in the season. It's WAY too early to plan a redshirt for any of them.

One Possible exception I could see is Nicole. with two other keepers no the team, she would be a logical choice to redshirt. Staggering her graduation with Erin would enhance both their careers and ensure good goaltending well into the future.

That plan worked great with Angela an Cheryl.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next