Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reveno interviews for Boise State job

+11
IronLions
PurplePrideTrumpet
cjacks14
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
pilotram
Geezaldinho
mikemac65
VikThunder
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reveno interviews for Boise State job - Page 2 Empty Re: Reveno interviews for Boise State job

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Anyone else notice that as soon as word came down that Rice got the BSU job it completely disappeared from the pages of OregonLive?? Haha, what apparently good news doesn't sell papers?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Reveno interviews for Boise State job - Page 2 Empty Re: Reveno interviews for Boise State job

Post by PilotNut Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Yeah, I was looking for the follow-up article regarding Rice/Reveno... nowhere to be found.

I guess someone will also have to return the elephant costume...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:03 pm

I guess if Canzano can't fear-monger, it isn't worth the effort... (Dammit, that costume rental set be back like 125 bones too...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Urika Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 pm

What is UP waiting for? 2 years left on contract may not sit well with immediate recruits. At the very least, get the extension signed.... take out any ambiguity of Reveno's status at UP and show administration support.

With two seasons remaining on his contract, Reveno’s challenge now is to maintain that consistency following the departure of seniors T.J. Campbell, Ethan Niedermeyer, Taishi Ito, Nik Raivio and Robin Smeulders, and avoid a significant drop off next season while retooling.

It’s also possible that UP athletic director Larry Williams is waiting to see how Reveno’s fifth season unfolds before he’s ready to sit down and discuss an extension, although, as Williams said the other day, “I think the record speaks for itself in what he’s done here.”

Urika
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Urika wrote:

It’s also possible that UP athletic director Larry Williams is waiting to see how Reveno’s fifth season unfolds before he’s ready to sit down and discuss an extension, although, as Williams said the other day, “I think the record speaks for itself in what he’s done here.”[/i]

If anybody is waiting on a contract extension, it's Rev. I think Williams would resign him in a NY minute if he could.

As each season has gone by, his market value has gone nowhere but up.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm not sure why coaching contracts are such a big deal. Plenty of coaches sign a long-term contract, and then pick up and leave. Kiffen?? And lots of schools give a coach a contract extension, and then fire him in a couple years *cough Holton cough*.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Haha contract extensions are more "gestures of good faith" than anything... I mean either party can renege the deal at any time, isn't it more of an elaborate marketing ploy by the university to paying customers and potential recruits? (Hahal, I think i drank too much off the cynic tonic bottle with lunch...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Urika wrote:What is UP waiting for? 2 years left on contract may not sit well with immediate recruits. At the very least, get the extension signed.... take out any ambiguity of Reveno's status at UP and show administration support.

Agreed with Geezer... contract negotiations have occurred this season... and if Rev was smart, he would make the final adjustments part of, or after, the recent BSU "incident". The UP administration is not going to let Rev slip away without a fight... and I do not see any ambiguity in his status. The A.D. has been in the newspaper and on Portland sportsradio confirming the desire to maintain Rev long term.

Next year will really be a litmus test for Rev and the program... to see how the recruits pan out, and how we "recover" from graduating the 5 seniors... Remember, we havent yet fully seen his consistent recruiting abilities... the 2010 Seniors were brought in quickly after Rev was hired (and I would say he did a darn good job in that scenario... and the results weren't too shabby either), and the 2010 Juniors are panning out quite nicely (Stohl, Sikma, Knutson, Hannibal). The 2010 Sophmores were more of a mixed bag (Mitrovic coming on strong, Waterford who missed most of the year due to injury and Porter who has since left), and no 2010 scholarship Freshmen. I for one am quite optimistic about the incoming class (particularly Ryan Nicholas and Tanner Riley), and would expect a more significant contract event after next season, especially when (not if) we continue to win.

Think about where this program will be in 2 or 3 seasons with Rev... with a couple more "regular" recruiting cycles under the belt, continued improvement in the quality of the recruits, continued player development (like Hannibal, Stohl, Mitrovic), more facility improvements, fan support kicking in... There is reason for strong optimism that we will continue to be a WCC power and become a NCAA Tournament caliber team.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:49 pm

PilotNut wrote:Think about where this program will be in 2 or 3 seasons with Rev... with a couple more "regular" recruiting cycles under the belt, continued improvement in the quality of the recruits, continued player development (like Hannibal, Stohl, Mitrovic), more facility improvements, fan support kicking in... There is reason for strong optimism that we will continue to be a WCC power and become a NCAA Tournament caliber team.

I think this is the thing that people always forget about what happened at Gonzaga and what is currently happening at Saint Mary's... it took close to 10 years of having a consistently strong program before any kind of breakthrough in March Madness.

Look at SMC...

2003-04: 19-12 (2nd in WCC)
2004-05: 25-9 (2nd in WCC) (NCAA At-Large bid)
2005-06: 17-12 (2nd in WCC)
2006-07: 17-15 (3rd in WCC)
2007-08: 25-7 (2nd in WCC) (NCAA At-Large bid)
2008-09: 28-7 (2nd in WCC)
2009-10: 28-5 (2nd in WCC) (NCAA Auto-bid; WCC tourney winners)

After six years of finishing with a winning record and 3rd or better in the WCC and earning two previous at-large bids, the Gaels finally broke through to win NCAA tournament games. Gonzaga followed a very similar path, though without the at-large bids... they were consistently a top team in the WCC throughout the 90s before finally breaking through in 1999. It's also worth nothing that, like SMC, GU had the same coach throughout the building process. Yes, Fitzgerald *cough* retired *cough*, but Monson, Few, and Grier had all been on staff for years.

In a lot of ways, I can see our trajectory mirroring SMC's... we will still be tough next year because of Luke and Jared, but then we might struggle a bit (as SMC went only 17-15 in 06-07) the following year because we'll be so young. But then once the recruits develop and the program continues to build momentum, maybe we can broach into that 25-7 type range a few years down the line and really start landing the types of recruits that can get us to cross the proverbial bridge to March glory.

I'm not sure what my point with all of this is other than to say that losing Reveno would have been a huge blow. We are in year two of this process. If we say we want to be like SMC or Gonzaga and we really mean it, that means we'll have to put in something like five more years of winning seasons and program building before we achieve success in March Madness. If we were forced to hire a new coach (and assuming we don't hire from within, though I do think Joel Sobotka would be a good candidate), we would probably end up back at square one in terms of rebuilding the program, what with a new staff and player turnover and all that.

Of course I would love to see big-time success here on The Bluff happen sooner than that, but my gut tells me that our bets chance at breaking through in March Madness like SMC has this year or Gonzaga did in 1999 will probably be 2014-15, when this incoming class of freshman are seniors. And having Reveno at the helm for that whole time is going to increase the odds of a break through exponentially.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : UP7587 is much smarter than I...)
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Interesting perspective, Stonehouse. I really hope that it doesn't take that long, but, I guess that's part of being a mid-major.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Eh, I'd rather it take that long and have a good overall product, than take risks and build a program on a few flash in the pan players that it would take to expect instantaneous, fleeting success. I mean it's not like we have a budget like the bigger schools where they lose a one and done or something along those lines and within a year or two they can be back up top. Rev is literally having to build from the ground up, that all starts with smart, solid players, and as winning comes consistently from that, so then comes the bigger and better talent that will help take us (hopefully) to that next level for years to come! Mmm, that reminds me, I need to buy more grape kool aid....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm

What's the draw to the Boise State job? Is it just the green stuff? BSU is a football school with a blue smurf turf field and a lot of trick plays. It's not like they can paint the basketball court blue or run the statue of liberty on the hardwood. I don't get it...

What's the attraction, Rev? Rant Rules
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Well clearly it isn't if they went with another coach...

They are a bigger program with a bigger school with more money and resources in a conference that probably gets more respect than the WCC basketball-wise... (Well at least traditionally, the WCC is catching up...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm

The WAC gets more respect? That's too bad. Soon enough they will be in the MWC....bank on it.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 am

CoachReveno

What a great way to start a Sunday. Already had breakfast with recruit and his family who gave us some very good news! Keep building...

Can I tell you how nice it was to read that after all the BSU funny business??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by willblowers Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:17 pm

http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48524&SPID=4076&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=204916385

Our worries are over.
Boise State hired Gonzaga assistant, Leon Rice

willblowers
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 pm

cjacks14 wrote:Everybody relax its gonna be ok.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963

willblowers, you're a little behind the times but better late than never Wink
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2