Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Bowl Season!

+11
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
mattywizz
onetouchfutbol
pilotram
DaTruRochin
15 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

It's Bowl Season! - Page 4 Empty Re: It's Bowl Season!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Ha, I should have known you would be more knowledgeable, and entertaining, than Wiki. HNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:38 pm

It’s why the explosive volcanic eruptions like Vesuvius are called Plinian eruptions.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Four fun, competitive bowl games today, that for the most part went down to the wire.  And one game, Clemson's unraveling vs. Alabama, should have been the best game, but it wasn't even that competitive a game, IMO.

In the Peach Bowl Central Florida capped a 13-0 season by beating Auburn, a school that thought they should have been in the College Football Playoff, by beating them, 34-27.  UCF has one of the best offenses in the country, but today their defense only allowed 90 yards on the ground to one of the tougher running teams in college football.

Great to see South Carolina beat Jim Harbaugh and Michigan, 26-19, in the Outback Bowl, by scoring 23 points in the last 17 minutes of the game. Michigan could only muster a 1 yard TD run and 4 field goals.

In another big finish, Notre Dame, playing with their backup quarterback in the second half, rallied with a sensational one-handed 55-yard grab and run to win the Citrus Bowl, 21-17, over LSU.  I know at least one person on this forum doesn't care much for Coach Kelly, but today he joined only Knute Rockne, Ara Parseghian, and Lou Holtz as the only Fighting Irish coaches to have three double-digit winning seasons...Notre Dame finished the season at 10-3.

In a game fitting of a College Football Playoff, #3 Georgia came from way behind to knockoff #2 Oklahoma, 54-48, in 2 OT, in the Rose Bowl.  Oklahoma sliced up the Bulldogs defense in the first half for 31 points, but the Sooners, led by Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield, could only score, 14 points in the second half and 3 in two overtime periods.

In the crummy game of the day, #4 Alabama held #1 Clemson to just 2 field-goals in their 24-6 win in the Sugar Bowl.

Next week, Georgia travels about 60 miles to Atlanta to face Alabama in the National Championship Game.....go Dawgs!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Great, another all-SEC final. Just want America wants to see. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 am

It was a very exciting day for me to watch South Carolina, UCF, Notre Dame, and Georgia win as well as Clemson lose. I got every result I wished for today which doesn’t happen to often.

I am REALLY excited for the Georgia-Alabama matchup. Master and apprentice. Georgia revenge tour. Game is in Atlanta. Arguably the two top teams of the whole season who haven’t met yet.

Sic em Dawgs!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

You've gotta give UCF AD Danny White credit for his marketing acumen after declaring the Knights national champions.

His team’s 13-0 record could have quickly faded into the backgrond, lost and mostly forgotten in the swirl of the College Football Playoff and the hype for Monday’s Alabama-Georgia clash, but instead the Knights have planned a national championship parade in Orlando on Sunday, a party on Monday and is even paying out bonuses to past and present coaches for winning the national championship.

www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-ucf-national-champions-mike-bianchi-0104-story.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 am

I am all for UCF doing this. Not only does it allow them to celebrate their success, but it also shoves some of the lunacy of the college football system back into the face of the power brokers who can do nothing to stop UCF. Everyone has mentioned how Alabama claims the 1973 championship that most people do not think they deserve. If UCF wants to be a big football school, they might as well start claiming random championships as their own because it's the precedent that has been set by the Alabamas, Auburns, Texas A&Ms, and so on.

It makes me wish I could find a year by year breakdown of UP football seasons so that we could find a random year to claim a championship. Those "undefeated since 1950" shirts are cool and all, but what about a shiny new trophy like the one Kentucky built for themselves recently?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:It makes me wish I could find a year by year breakdown of UP football seasons so that we could find a random year to claim a championship. Those "undefeated since 1950" shirts are cool and all, but what about a shiny new trophy like the one Kentucky built for themselves recently?

It's a start, but only two seasons are listed: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/portland/

Edit: another link: https://sites.up.edu/museum/exhibits/football/

You heard it here first folks: University of Portland National Football Champions 1913, 1914, and 1920!

Double Edit: And, we are undefeated against Arizona State! Cool

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 am

It's a crowded field: college-football-national-title-ucf-sure-rutgers-toledo-vmi-tulane

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm

"Hunker-down one more time, Dawgs."
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Georgia up 13-0 at half. Last week, they overcame a halftime deficit. Wonder if they can hold of Alabama this week.

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm

Georgia just isn't allowed to have nice things -- in pro sports or in college sports. It's the whole history of Georgia sports.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Georgia just isn't allowed to have nice things -- in pro sports or in college sports. It's the whole history of Georgia sports.
Really just too many Alabama freshmen!

Up to now nobody but his parents knew who Tagovailoa was, now the whole football world knows. His lookoff to the right and then the quick 41 yard touchdown to the left side had all the hallmarks of a future NFL star.  

Freshman quarterback from Hawaii leads his team to 26 second-half points in the 26-23 win in OT.... with a storybook ending.

(Glad the Alabama kicker is off the hook....not sure the Tide fans would've EVER forgiven him).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Georgia just isn't allowed to have nice things -- in pro sports or in college sports. It's the whole history of Georgia sports.

This will really make Georgia fans hurt. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/8/16866514/georgia-alabama-referees-missed-calls-national-championship-facemask

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Up to now nobody but his parents knew who Tagovailoa was, now the whole football world knows.

Not exactly. The kid was mentored by Marcus Mariota when Marcus was in high school, and he wanted to follow Marcus to Oregon. But the former Duck coaches wouldn't recruit him as a sophomore; they only talked to juniors and seniors. By the time they got around to him, he was the #1 QB prospect, and had moved on. Many Duck fans are happy for the kid, and bitter with the former coaches about what might have been.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Yeah, it seemed to me Alabama won 4-1 in missed/wrong calls....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Up to now nobody but his parents knew who Tagovailoa was, now the whole football world knows.

Not exactly. The kid was mentored by Marcus Mariota when Marcus was in high school, and he wanted to follow Marcus to Oregon.  But the former Duck coaches wouldn't recruit him as a sophomore; they only talked to juniors and seniors.  By the time they got around to him, he was the #1 QB prospect, and had moved on.  Many Duck fans are happy for the kid, and bitter with the former coaches about what might have been.
Thanks for setting me straight!

His parents and Duck fans know him.... Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm

I hate that Alabama won the game. Means the national champion did not even win the division title in their conference, and didn't even play for their conference title. Might as well go the path of basketball, and let everybody in the tournament. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 pm

up7587 wrote:

Not exactly. The kid was mentored by Marcus Mariota when Marcus was in high school, and he wanted to follow Marcus to Oregon.  But the former Duck coaches wouldn't recruit him as a sophomore; they only talked to juniors and seniors.  By the time they got around to him, he was the #1 QB prospect, and had moved on.  Many Duck fans are happy for the kid, and bitter with the former coaches about what might have been.

If the Mariota connection isn't obvious, he is also from Hawaii, so there was a lot of excitement around the islands when he chose Alabama. And he'll probably be all over the news tonight/tomorrow. Maybe get a Tua Tagovailoa Day like Mariota.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 am

Unfortunately, Alabama winning it all without the division title or SEC title is just going to reinforce the special treatment they receive in the rankings by way of being Nick Saban’s Alabama. They were somewhat proven to be the best team in the land.

The missed calls were upsetting in the moment but I don’t think that is why Georgia lost the game in the end. They were just out coached in the second half by a coach who has been there and in that position before. Now, some NFL teams need to draft Nick Chubb and Sony Michel because my goodness.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

up7587 wrote:I hate that Alabama won the game.  Means the national champion did not even win the division title in their conference, and didn't even play for their conference title.  Might as well go the path of basketball, and let everybody in the tournament. Mad

Don't get too carried away.  Our women's soccer team didn't win the conference in 2002.  I'm sure glad they got a spot in the tournament!
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am

up7587 wrote:I hate that Alabama won the game.  Means the national champion did not even win the division title in their conference, and didn't even play for their conference title....
SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Unfortunately, Alabama winning it all without the division title or SEC title is just going to reinforce the special treatment they receive in the rankings by way of being Nick Saban’s Alabama. They were somewhat proven to be the best team in the land....
Depends upon who you talk to when determining the national champion.

Remember, UCF just had their second straight day of celebrations and Florida's governor signed a proclamation declaring the Knights national champs. In signing the proclamation yesterday, Gov. Rick Scott said: "By having a perfect season and beating the only team that defeated both Alabama and Georgia this season, the UCF Knights are clearly champions."

I think my friend in Tulsa, RJ Young, sums it up best:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:
Don't get too carried away.  Our women's soccer team didn't win the conference in 2002.  I'm sure glad they got a spot in the tournament!

It was a real solid third place finish, however.

Now if an SEC team could beat Central Florida, they might have a claim to a national championship.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:02 pm

So far, the 2018-2019 bowl season has not had much to be interested in.  The first Pac-12 game was another embarrassing loss, by ASU to Fresno St 31-20.  They followed that with an inept game between Cal and TCU, decided in OT with a 10-7 TCU win.  BYU won big, and Army scored 70 points.  Wisconsin-Miami might of been interesting, but Miami didn't show up.  Similarly, Purdue sent imposters to their game today with Auburn, losing 63-14.

The WSU Cougs play tonight, and the semi-final playoff games are tomorrow.  Oregon plays Monday at noon, Washington plays in the Rose Bowl Tuesday at 2pm.  We'll see if any are worth watching more than in bits and pieces.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Stanford and Oregon rolled to dominating 1 point wins.

Is it funny that Utah is getting beat by a guy named Bowser? Don't they have any banana peels?

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next