Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Relatively Short Good Bye

+11
onetouchfutbol
blacksheep
mikemac65
ShipstadPilot11
DaTruRochin
pilotram
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
mattywizz
MesaPilot1
Stonehouse
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Relatively Short Good Bye - Page 2 Empty Re: The Relatively Short Good Bye

Post by DJ Sherman Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Even though I am a neophyte poster and occasional lurker since I hit the bluff, you have given many a great post and will always be acknowledged as a legend of this forum.

Any advice you can give to a current student trying to bring passion to the lesser attended sports and extremely lucky to have arrived on campus when I did while wishing to acknowledge those who have raised all kinds of shenanigans on opponents through the tougher years but still had more passion that the opponents, will be welcome.

Hopefully we can meet every so often to develop plans to help fill the stands with passionate fans!

Don't worry about the bell tower chiming every 15 minutes; you get used to it....
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:10 am

DJ Sherman wrote:Even though I am a neophyte poster and occasional lurker since I hit the bluff, you have given many a great post and will always be acknowledged as a legend of this forum.

Any advice you can give to a current student trying to bring passion to the lesser attended sports and extremely lucky to have arrived on campus when I did while wishing to acknowledge those who have raised all kinds of shenanigans on opponents through the tougher years but still had more passion that the opponents, will be welcome.

Hopefully we can meet every so often to develop plans to help fill the stands with passionate fans!

Don't worry about the bell tower chiming every 15 minutes; you get used to it....

I hate to say it, but, the teams' success in the long term is going to do that more than anything. If UP can get behind women's soccer, they can get behind a winning basketball team as well. We just need to establish a tradition year in and year out and create a more positive association with the sport. If we can do that, then the fans will definitely come.

When I was a student, Erik Spoelstra was our point guard, and quite frankly the team was miserable to watch. Guys were hitting other players in the backs of their heads with passes on the fast break, and students were accustomed to seeing the team lose. That persisted for years and years. Coach Chavez had some brief success, but, then the team struggled again up until now. Though it seems like we're turning the corner, I do have some skepticism about how we'll be for the rest of the season and into next season when TJ and Raivio are gone. We rely on this backcourt so much for our success...

In other words, I think that there is actually a suspension of disbelief among the students and the fans. So, many of us...including myself still say to ourselves, "Is it really possible that we're good?" Meanwhile the attitude of Gonzaga students is: we know we're good, we've been good for years, and we're going to continue to be good. Rev needs to establish tradition over more than one season for the attitude to change and for the students to come. We can't win a big game and then lose 2. There does have to be a little bit more consistency over the long term. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will be.

Peace.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:16 am

So, maybe this is a good time to ask. What's the significance of the screen name "Stonehouse?" Is this about a strong house or foundation...like in the three little pigs? Where does the name come from, dude?

Peace.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 am

Kyle Stonehouse, a player during the late 90s
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:42 am

Stonehouse's bio from the Oregon live days (thanks google):

"A HUGE Kyle Stonehouse fan. That man could foul out of a game like none other."
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 pm

Loved Kyle Stonehouse!!! He was the team's (to use John Chaney's word) goon, and really his only job was to deliver hard fouls. I think he once fouled out of a game in five minutes, a record only to be matched by Zach Gourde's incredible line from 2002 or so when he fouled out in four minutes, which is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by HRZag Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Stoney, thanks for all your posts. You do good work. I guess that is why they hired you.

Even a Zag can appreciate that.

Jan. 9, we are coming to town to Rock Your House!

Good luck in the new gig.

HRZag
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:06 pm

So.... Stoney, can I have your post count? Maybe I'll swing in to say hello one of these days when I come to see my wife.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Loved Kyle Stonehouse!!! He was the team's (to use John Chaney's word) goon, and really his only job was to deliver hard fouls. I think he once fouled out of a game in five minutes, a record only to be matched by Zach Gourde's incredible line from 2002 or so when he fouled out in four minutes, which is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.
When Stonehouse came in the game the old guy sitting behind us always said, "Oh great, here comes STONEhands!" Laughing

A more recent guy who comes to mind as proficient at collecting fouls was Pat Galos. No ticky-tack handchecks for him... Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Speaking of Pat Galos, I remember him dribbling the ball off his face, during a fast break, down at Oregon State. Hillarious! affraid

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Loved Kyle Stonehouse!!!

But did you ever make a sign for him to hold up at the games...and subsequently make the next year's media guide?
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2