Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles

+36
ekrauss
Sinclair Fan
UPFAN
fan from afar
gnarly
'78 Alum
chiefer
Stonehouse
UPSoccerFanatic
letsgopilots11
wyeast
Geezaldinho
golaso
Telionis
SoreKnees
ktinpurple
skip hobart
GUPhantom
pms275
soccerjoy
Harry Redknapp
ohhh_yeah
Poopdeck Pappy
A_Fan
merlogirl
DaTruRochin
slick
mattywizz
runner girl
fozziewozzie
onetouchfutbol
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
PilotDrummer
PurplePrideTrumpet
FANatic
40 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles - Page 5 Empty Re: Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:"I seriously doubt the Pilots will ever win again under Smith."--Sinclair Fan.
I'm not even sure why I'm responding to a comment like this; it's just completely ridiculous.
Pleez too naut feeed teh trollz. Kthnx.
Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles - Page 5 Empty Re: Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles

Post by pms275 Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I guess the other side of this coin, if we're going to have to sit through the ragging on Portland, is why can't UCLA win the big one once they get to the College Cup? This is their 7th trip in a row there, and they've had nothing to show for it thus far, other than frequent flyer miles. Does that make their program and their coach a failure--especially since they've had some incredible players during these runs? I don't think so....
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:29 pm

pms268 wrote:I guess the other side of this coin, if we're going to have to sit through the ragging on Portland, is why can't UCLA win the big one once they get to the College Cup? This is their 7th trip in a row there, and they've had nothing to show for it thus far, other than frequent flyer miles. Does that make their program and their coach a failure--especially since they've had some incredible players during these runs? I don't think so....

I just hold onto the time that we whooped on them for the national title and Smith was coach at the time. Anyone frustrated should have a few beers and watch that one again. We dominated, and UCLA can beat us this year but cannot erase those memories.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm late to the wake here -- or is it an autopsy? I spent Thanksgiving weekend beyond reach of phone, Web or newspaper. Saw the sad headline on the drive home that the Pilots were not advancing. I really thought they could do it, even on the road, but it was not to be. They should still hold their heads high.

The UP program is built on an irreplacable and genuine foundation of team effort and mutual support. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the players and coaches. Year after year they make soccer season a special time of year for me and my daughter.

I'll be back next year, and I know the Pilots will be too.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm

purple haze wrote:I'm late to the wake here -- or is it an autopsy? I spent Thanksgiving weekend beyond reach of phone, Web or newspaper. Saw the sad headline on the drive home that the Pilots were not advancing. I really thought they could do it, even on the road, but it was not to be. They should still hold their heads high.

The UP program is built on an irreplacable and genuine foundation of team effort and mutual support. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the players and coaches. Year after year they make soccer season a special time of year for me and my daughter.

I'll be back next year, and I know the Pilots will be too.
QFT. My wife and I will be back next year, too. I don't know what my wife will do once Kendra graduates!
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:13 pm

You can come watch with me and my friends if she'll let you. lol!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:29 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:You can come watch with me and my friends if she'll let you. lol!
I believe I have...and so has she. Razz
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:03 pm

Another interesting tidbit of information. My brackets only go back to 2002, so that's as far back as I can go with this:

For the eight years beginning with 2002, in the quarterfinals the home team (in almost all cases the higher ranked team, USC v West Virginia being an exception) has won 78% of the time. Of the games the home team has lost, one of those was the Stanford tie, lost on pks, to the Pilots in 2002. (Stanford was the top seed in the tournament that year, and some Stanford fans have yet to get over it.)

On the other hand, in the semifinals and finals (no results yet for 2009), the higher seeded team has won 61.5% of the time.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:06 am

here's a couple more:

http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/2001/women.htm
http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/2000/w_tournament.htm
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 am

I DO believe we fell apart this weekend. This doesn't mean that I'm not proud of our girls and this program. This is the best program in the world! Garret WILL lead this team to another championship and it WILL be soon! I am just frustrated! As many of you know, I hate UCLA! lol! I think they are in our heads. This is a mental game as much as it is a physical game. More than likely, the same seeding scenario will happen again next year and I BELIEVE we will beat them! I love these girls, and yes, we are spoiled fans! I can't wait until next season!

PILOT FAN UNTIL I DIE!
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 am

Sinclair Fan wrote:
ohhh_yeah wrote:ummm... Embarassed

Posted by 20yearpilotfan
November 28, 2009, 6:13PM

"Half-time with UP outshot 18-1 by UCLA ....... Ah, yes - the Lady Pilot Soccer fans, as I have been saying since the playoff seeding, have had their partisan heads in the sand - do any of you examine the talent and listen to and/or watch the play of the top teams throughout the season and in the playoffs? Portland, my favorite team for 20 years, is clearly 2nd tier this year. UCLA fans have not "crowded" their stadium to see this "footnote" prior to the Final Four next weekend (today's attendance is only the 2nd largest of their season). Pilot fans are now free to acknowledge my clear vision and to spend time next weekend helping out at shelters for the homeless or some other work of social justice - a great opportunity to live in the real world and stop wishing Portland was #1 (or #2 or #3 or #4). Portland had it's days-in-the-sun with the extraordinary talent of Christine Sinclair....it's unlikely to happen again."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2009/11/ucla_dominates_action_in_first.html

I largely agree. Since Sinclair left, we have only been a top 8 team. Clive Charles, a wonderful man of so much dignity, brought her in and we won big. Another big difference is that Garrett Smith doesn't have Charles' class. After elimination games, he whines. It's either the officials, starters missing due to national team call-ups or being a visiting team. It's sickening. Can the parents of prospective recruits be impressed with this cry-baby?

And here's something else: When was the last time the Pilots had gone for 80 straight minutes without a shot? They were the highest scoring team in the nation. And yet Smith said, "I thought we did everything we could to tie the game." 80 straight minutes showing nothing was “everything?” Gimme a break. Let's try embracing reality.

I seriously doubt the Pilots will ever win again under Smith. Did anyone think this team was prepared Saturday? Playing a soft schedule surely didn't help. If they were out-manned, then Smith hasn't done a good enough job of getting the players needed. And if they were of equal talent and simply out-played, then Smith hasn't done an adequate job of coaching.

This kills me. What a joke. Do you know anything about soccer or this team? Garret has never whined about anything a day in his life. This is what he is known for. He sits quietly and let's his girls show what they've learned. I could go on but...

Why do I even get sucked in like this? Again, this is a joke.
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ekrauss Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:04 am

I happened to be on the WCC website and found some interesting information compiled on the All-Time WCC Coaching Records Chart. In his 11 years of coaching in the WCC, Clive Charles was 61-10-2 for a .849 winning percentage. Garrett Smith is 42-3-4 for a .898 winning percentage. Jerry Smith of Santa Clara has won the most games (91), but his winning percentage is "only" .770. These are WCC games only. All three coaches mentioned have won one national championship. Yes, this year we didn't get the result we had hoped for this year, but I have trouble trashing a coach with a .898 winning percentage in league, a coach who has won five of the seven league championships his team has competed for, and a coach who has led a team to an NCAA championship. I don't think there are more than five or six coaches in the country who have comparable records. And I think you might be able to count active coaches who have won NCAA women's soccer titles on one hand.

ekrauss
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:30 am

With a total of 1, all semifinal losses: Boston College, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Illinois, Ohio State, Washington, BYU, Michigan, Hartford, Dartmouth, Harvard, William & Mary, and NC State

Thanks, UPSF, for you Did You Know stats. I've got a question for you, though. How could the teams in the above quote only have one point if they appeared in the quarters (1 point) and the semifinals (1 point)? It seems that they should have a total of 2.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ekrauss Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:33 am

I think those teams only had one quarterfinal loss. That would fit UW's history.

ekrauss
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyFan Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:15 am

Pilot's First two years career scoring stats:

Christine Sinclair – 109 points (49g, 11a)
Tiffeny Millbrett – 106 points (43g, 20a)
Danielle Foxhoven – 100 points (41g, 18a)
Shannon MacMillan – 99 points (41g, 17a)

Danielle may or may not end up finishing her career as strong as the others listed did (depending on who comes in to play with her, injuries, U23 National team call-up, etc.) but to say “Portland had it's days-in-the-sun with the extraordinary talent of Christine Sinclair....it's unlikely to happen again" is just irresponsible.

MonkeyFan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-02

http://www.mrboulder.com

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:30 am

MonkeyFan wrote:Pilot's First two years career scoring stats:

Christine Sinclair – 109 points (49g, 11a)
Tiffeny Millbrett – 106 points (43g, 20a)
Danielle Foxhoven – 100 points (41g, 18a)
Shannon MacMillan – 99 points (41g, 17a)

Danielle may or may not end up finishing her career as strong as the others listed did (depending on who comes in to play with her, injuries, U23 National team call-up, etc.) but to say “Portland had it's days-in-the-sun with the extraordinary talent of Christine Sinclair....it's unlikely to happen again" is just irresponsible.

Well said. I agree whole heartedly. When you look at the teams in the Final 8 and Final 4, they are class programs that have won again and again and had remarkable consistency in a sport with a lot of parity. UP, ND, UNC, and a few others. We re-load and we go back again and again and again... Some years you have an easier draw than others too. It's part of life and sports, but, we are remarkably consistent and will definitely be back.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Poopdeck Pappy wrote:
With a total of 1, all semifinal losses: Boston College, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Illinois, Ohio State, Washington, BYU, Michigan, Hartford, Dartmouth, Harvard, William & Mary, and NC State

Thanks, UPSF, for you Did You Know stats. I've got a question for you, though. How could the teams in the above quote only have one point if they appeared in the quarters (1 point) and the semifinals (1 point)? It seems that they should have a total of 2.

Sorry about that: all quarterfinal losses.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles - Page 5 Empty The Post-Sinclair Era

Post by Sinclair Fan Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Even Aaron Fentress of The Oregonian was surprised how the Pilots lacked speed and athleticism. And just think, most of them will return to be slow and not so athletic next season. Hopefully, Garrett Smith will arrange another soft schedule for them.

Sinclair Fan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 am

"lacked speed and athleticism"

I'm having trouble with this...all the games I was at showed both...what was lacking was brute force...which I am glad they don't use. I'll take finesse over martial arts anytime...win or lose.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LaurenCheneyFan Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:58 am

Sinclair Fan wrote:Even Aaron Fentress of The Oregonian was surprised how the Pilots lacked speed and athleticism. And just think, most of them will return to be slow and not so athletic next season. Hopefully, Garrett Smith will arrange another soft schedule for them.

You Portland fans are spoiled.

Sinclair Fan, you don't know how lucky you are. We UCLA fans have been treated to the best recruiting classes in the country year after year with an absolutely empty trophy case to show for it. We have to face it. we have the most perfect record of failure in soccer.

I take is back. I can take solace that Stanford has been at it longer and won less. Maybe I'll start watching USC games. They have a coach who knows what it takes to win the big prize.

LaurenCheneyFan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. UCLA, Sat. 11/28, 5pm, Los Angeles - Page 5 Empty Beware of trolls

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 pm

"Sinclair fan" has now posted four times on this site: so clearly a fan of long standing - not! So far he/she has a rack record of posting total bollocks - and this latest offering is no exception.

Don't rise to the bait.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm

FFS, Sinclair Fan, it took you nearly a month to come with that? Is that the best you can do?

Christmas is coming. Take a few days, rest up, and come back to show us the best you have. Peace out.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Sinclair Fan wrote:Even Aaron Fentress of The Oregonian was surprised how the Pilots lacked speed and athleticism. And just think, most of them will return to be slow and not so athletic next season. Hopefully, Garrett Smith will arrange another soft schedule for them.

Since when was Aron Fentress an authority on women's soccer? Sinclair Fan, the further teams get into the tourney, the more the talent level and athleticism tends to start to even out. Teams that look faster and crisper against lesser competition consistently look choppier and a little slower when they play the UCLAs, the UNCs, the Stanfords, etc. It happens year after year. It never fails to amaze me how a few of our fans and/or sportswriters tend to forget this. I can guarantee you this, homefield advantage does mean a lot in these games and so does having a complete, healthy team. I'd take that match against UCLA with Michelle Enyeart and us being the #1 seed at home on our field in a heartbeat, and I bet we'd look better and faster when our 4,000+ fans are chearing us on. I guarantee it.

Anyways, responding to these comments is seriously a waste of my time...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:18 am

LaurenCheneyFan wrote:

You Portland fans are spoiled.

Sinclair Fan, you don't know how lucky you are. We UCLA fans have been treated to the best recruiting classes in the country year after year with an absolutely empty trophy case to show for it. We have to face it. we have the most perfect record of failure in soccer.

I take is back. I can take solace that Stanford has been at it longer and won less. Maybe I'll start watching USC games. They have a coach who knows what it takes to win the big prize.

Hello Cheney fan - I think you hit everything right on the head, except to infer that Sinclair fan a Portland fan. We Pilot fans know how lucky we are.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5