Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

washington-oregon shootout

5 posters

Go down

washington-oregon shootout Empty washington-oregon shootout

Post by upsailor Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:26 pm

while a lot ofyou went to the soccer game, i took in a little basketball.
it looks like the women may have fiund a player for a change in sarah kliever from lewis & clark hs in spokane. she iis 6' - 1", moves well and while i only aw the last five min., she was 2 for 2 from about 12'. all in all she scored 17 pts in the game.
Th e boys game was interesting in that oregon was ahead by 2 at half time but got killed in the second half and lost by21 and it could have been more. no mike moser of e.j. singler for oregon. the washington kids were bigger, stronger, faster, you name it.
we talk about recruiting oregon kids but there aren't enough of them that match up to washington and in my opinion thats where we should recruit, other than Ca.they have some good players.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

washington-oregon shootout Empty Re: washington-oregon shootout

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Washington players have come up big for the Pilots in the past.

On this past season's team, Dollente is from Yakima, Sievers is from Kent, and Koebel is from Seattle. Back when I was a student there was Khalila O'Rielly-Williams from Seattle.

Look at the names on the HOF banner hanging in the arena. Lansing and Hepton were from Washington (if Hepton is not in the HOF she should be). And as for California, Laura Sale, anybody?

(I think Geezer might be the only other person here who can remember these names.)
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:46 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Washington players have come up big for the Pilots in the past.

On this past season's team, Dollente is from Yakima, Sievers is from Kent, and Koebel is from Seattle. Back when I was a student there was Khalila O'Rielly-Williams from Seattle.

Look at the names on the HOF banner hanging in the arena. Lansing and Hepton were from Washington (if Hepton is not in the HOF she should be). And as for California, Laura Sale, anybody?

(I think Geezer might be the only other person here who can remember these names.)

*Raises hand* (at least for Lansing)

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:46 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:

I remember all of those and a couple more. If you are going to reach into the past, there were plenty of good players from Oregon.

UP's top leading scorer of all time was from Oregon. I wasn't around when Lorena Legarde was playing in the 80's but she was from Portland.

I did see Amy Claboe and Martha Sheldon. Claboe was from Hillsboro. and a pretty dominant player. She was the best in the WCC at the time.

I can't remember where Sheldon hailed from, but I do remember she was a Husky her freshman year. I think she was #2 all time in scoring playing for UP for only 3 years. She's listed as one of the top 50 players in any sport in the WCC , and I remember she was given the NCAA award as the best athlete in the state of Oregon in any sport one year. she averaged almost 27 points per game for a season.

All three of those players are in the HOF.

There was also that Kathy Adleman kid from Oregon who was pretty good.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 pm

I remember Claboe. And Kim and Sara Green went to Benson, I think.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

washington-oregon shootout Empty wash. - oreg shootout

Post by upsailor Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Geezer, when was the last Oregon "good one"/
For the girls trhis year Oregon has three girls with Div 1 commitments or LOI's. Washington has nine. For the boys Oreg has 1 and Wash 5. However Oreg, has Moser and Singler plus a kid from Eugene who did not play in the shootout. Wah. also had kids with D 1 LOIs or commitments but how many I don't know
The main thing is Wash. just has more people, meaning more kids who are athletes of one sort or another.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm

upsailor wrote:Geezer, when was the last Oregon "good one"/
For the girls trhis year Oregon has three girls with Div 1 commitments or LOI's. Washington has nine. For the boys Oreg has 1 and Wash 5. However Oreg, has Moser and Singler plus a kid from Eugene who did not play in the shootout. Wah. also had kids with D 1 LOIs or commitments but how many I don't know
The main thing is Wash. just has more people, meaning more kids who are athletes of one sort or another.

Doesn't matter. what out of state players are better than Sheldon or Claboe, or in Soccer, Milbrett?

what's important is who the ones that came here. Sure, there are a lot of Washington recruits we can be proud of, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the Oregon players. I was just pointing out that the CAN be close to home.

It is arguable that our greatest Basketball and Soccer recruits are home grown. It's silly to say we should focus elsewhere. let's just get the best players wherever they come from.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:59 am

upsailor wrote: Th e boys game was interesting in that oregon was ahead by 2 at half time but got killed in the second half and lost by21 and it could have been more. no mike moser of e.j. singler for oregon. the washington kids were bigger, stronger, faster, you name it.
we talk about recruiting oregon kids but there aren't enough of them that match up to washington and in my opinion thats where we should recruit, other than Ca.they have some good players.

Scary part about that was, the best recruits out of WA didn't even play in the game because they were busy doing the McDonald's game and other national events...

But yeah, I mean if you can recruit local players who are good and contribute to the program it's great, but at the end of the day as long as they are wearing purple and white, what difference does it make where they come from??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 am

DaTruRochin wrote:But yeah, I mean if you can recruit local players who are good and contribute to the program it's great, but at the end of the day as long as they are wearing purple and white, what difference does it make where they come from??

YES.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down