Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer!

+5
mattywizz
Geezaldinho
Rochin54
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
9 posters

Go down

Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer! Empty Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer!

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Very nice!!!

http://members4.boardhost.com/donscentral/msg/1236028557.html

Sorry I've been off the boards lately... been in the middle of a move so I haven't had internet access for the past several days. That and I was extremely depressed with the losses. But I'll be there in Vegas to root on my Pilots!!!

Here's the full list:

Player of the Year
John Bryant, SCU

Defensive Player of the Year
Diamon Simpson, SMC

Co-Newcomer of the Year
Kevin Foster, SCU
T.J. Campbell, POR

Coach of the Year
Eric Reveno, POR

All-WCC First Team
Matt Bouldin, GON - JR - G
John Bryant, SCU - SR - C
T.J. Campbell, POR - JR - G
Josh Heytvelt, GON - SR - C
Dior Lowhorn, USF - JR - F
Patrick Mills, SMC - SO - G
Gyno Pomare, USD - SR - F/C
Nik Raivio, POR - JR - G
Omar Samhan, SMC - JR - C
Diamon Simpson, SMC - SR - F

All-WCC Honorable Mention
Austin Daye, GON
Kevin Foster, SCU
Steven Gray, GON
Jeremy Pargo, GON
Robin Smeulders, POR
Jared Stohl, POR

All-WCC Freshman Team
Kevin Foster, SCU - G
James Rahon, SCU - G
Marc Trasolini, SCU - F
Keion Bell, Pepperdine - G
Jared DuBois, LMU - G

Last edited by Stonehouse on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer! Empty Re: Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer!

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:32 pm

Ah here we go... an official release:

http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030209aaa.html

Stohl and Smeulders made honorable mention too!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer! Empty Re: Rev Coach of Year; TJ and Nik 1st Team; TJ Co-Newcomer!

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Congrats to Nik, TJ, Jared, Robin and Rev!! All VERY deserving, glad to see the coaches got it right!!

Btw how awesome is it that Austin Daye isn't on that list... HA!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 pm

nor Pargo!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:42 pm

WOW! better than I thought we could do.

Really I don't think they had any choice but Rev.
TJ getting first team and TJ and Foster both getting NOY is probably fair. Foster's had a great season.

It's nice to see that Nik is !st team and Jared and Robin were recognized.

Now we just have to show it was earned in the tournament!

Daye and Pargo are nowhere? Daye especially? wow again.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Daye and Pargo are nowhere? Daye especially? wow again.

I know... heading into the season they were the odds-on favorites for POY (and Pargo was the reigning POY). And yet they were both just honroable mention.

I saw an interesting stat on Daye... I think he only scored in double-digits twice in the second half of WCC play. That's just not enough to get it done, and is shocking for a kid who was at one point touted as a lottery pick.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I think he only scored in double-digits twice in the second half of WCC play. That's just not enough to get it done, and is shocking for a kid who was at one point touted as a lottery pick.

Should have come out last year (He AND Hansborough were both lottery last year, but now out of the top 30 players...)... Let's hope he has a good tourney so he can vault himself into the lottery (It's a weak draft class anyway..) and OUT of the WCC so we don't have to face a "slighted" Austin next year...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Wow, when is the last time we had four players make all-WCC? That is awesome. Congrats to Rev on COY, just don't see how they could give it to anyone else. Also, with Bryant as MVP, when was the last time a Zag was not at least co-poy? It is good to see the coaches step out of the box and give the awards to deserving coaches/players, not just those on the first place team.

Agreed with whoever said let's back it up in the tourney!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm

cheers Congrats,REV. NIK, and TJ!!!

Great Job Jarred Stohl-just think that skinny little kid from a small town in Washington just arrived on Campus 1 1/2 yr's ago,who'd thunk it.

Good Job Robin-" Representin' " the much maligned Pilot Big's. (Not by me)

Rob's Jacket is in heaven!!! lol!

HappyPilot1 afro

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:23 pm

This is AWESOME! Congrats to everyone... and the team as a whole.

Great news! bounce

Last edited by PilotNut on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : previous version made no sense.)
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Apparently Rev was on 95.5 the game about an hour ago... did anyone catch it? Hear what he had to say?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm

mattywizz wrote:Wow, when is the last time we had four players make all-WCC? That is awesome.

You can have that question answered and more Here

The official portlandpilots.com announcement is out!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Hmmm, just a thought: Is women's coach Jim Sollars a candidate for COY on the Women's side, too?! He would have to be on the short list of candidates... a UP sweep of basketball COY would be amazing...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Wow, well-deserved. I'm so glad that our coach and backcourt are getting some respect. Nik, TJ, and Rev are totally deserving, and it's nice to see the honorable mentions too...

----------------------------

As far as Hansborough and Day not going into the draft last year, Hansborough would have completely missed out on the opportunity of being UNC's all time leading scorer (above Jordan, Sam Perkins, James Worthy, etc.) if he had done that (not to mention getting a degree). I think that both of those guys will still find a way to elevate their stock...the question is how much... But, anyway, that's Stern's league and this is March, so, I'm not really focussed on the NBA at all.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:32 pm

athleticjames wrote:
As far as Hansborough and Day not going into the draft last year, Hansborough would have completely missed out on the opportunity of being UNC's all time leading scorer (above Jordan, Sam Perkins, James Worthy, etc.) if he had done that (not to mention getting a degree). I think that both of those guys will still find a way to elevate their stock...the question is how much...

You can go back and get your degree anytime if you get drafted in the lottery... The bottom line is, by slipping out of the top 30, you lose your guaranteed contract that comes with being drafted in the first round, Austin still has time to "redeem" himself, Tyler however is going to have to do it the hard way. I get the desire to set records and whatnot, but in a pure business sense... bad decision...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Maybe the coaching turnover the last couple of years has had something to do with the changing sentiments (i.e. giving the awards to the most deserving players/coaches, not just the best team).

All in all, this is fantastic news, fantastic publicity, and fantastic recognition for all the work that Rev, his staff, and the players have put into the program over the last three years. Congratulations, guys - you earned it.

(I'm just curious . . . did Chavez really never win COY? I'd have thought for sure that going his amazing first year would have gotten him the honors. Anyone know who the 1994-95 COY was? Davey?)

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:
(I'm just curious . . . did Chavez really never win COY? I'd have thought for sure that going his amazing first year would have gotten him the honors. Anyone know who the 1994-95 COY was? Davey?)

94-95 was Davey
95-96 was LMU's John Olive scratch
96-97 was Davey again
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Great news for the Pilots! Almost good enough to pull me out of the funk the recent poor play has put me in. Sad Congrats to all the team members and coaching staff. Awards like these are the result of positive contributions by everyone involved with the team.

Back to top Go down