Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS...

+8
A_Fan
Auto Pilot
GUPhantom
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
aleppiek
DaTruRochin
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Empty Re: Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS...

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 pm

Well, some fashion forward were way ahead of us....
Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Celeb-david-beckham

Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Celeb-sljackson-people

Even Jack Bauer....
Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Celeb-kiefer-kilt-01
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Empty Re: Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS...

Post by mattywizz Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:12 am

Well, the league just lost one fan.

When I started reading this thread and thought the "wrap" would be the actual uniform, I figured I would watch every chance I got. But now that I found out the players will wear shorts and not look feminine, I will boycott.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:26 am

[sarcasm]I'm really upset that they left my favorite WPS team out of the warm up wrap equation, The Red stars should strike until they get to warm up in skorts like all the other ladies. [/sarcasm]
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Puma_unveiling_splash-1

I prefer this any day to the hideous skirt thingys.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Usually teams have to earn stars before they put them on their uniforms.... But whatever...

(And yes I do understand that it is supposed to be based off the Chicago city flag...)

haha here's Wikipedia's take on what the represent:
The four red six-pointed stars on the center white stripe, from left to right (although this is not the order in which they were added to the flag):

* The first star represents Fort Dearborn. It was added to the flag in 1939. Its six points symbolize transportation, labor, commerce, finance, populousness, and salubrity.[2]

* The second star stands for the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and is original to the 1917 design of the flag. Its six points represent the virtues of religion, education, aesthetics, justice, beneficence, and civic pride.[3]

* The third star symbolizes the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and is original to the 1917 design. Its six points stand for political entities Chicago has belonged to and the flags that have flown over the area: France 1693, Great Britain 1763, Virginia 1778, the Northwest Territory 1798, Indiana Territory 1802, and Illinois 1818.[4]

* The fourth star represents the Century of Progress Exposition (1933-1934), and was added in 1933. Its points refer to bragging rights: the United States's Third Largest City, Chicago's Latin Motto (Urbs in horto - City in a garden), Chicago's "I Will" Motto, Great Central Marketplace, Wonder City, Convention City.[5]
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
athleticjames wrote:"
Umm. You're not excused. How much older is this dude than all of the players?

Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Blatter0912

Does anyone have the editing technology to put a skirt below the face of this guy? That might actually be humorous.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:47 am

aleppiek wrote:Groundbreaking uniforms for WPS... - Page 2 Puma_unveiling_splash-1

I prefer this any day to the hideous skirt thingys.
Not bad, actually.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 pm

Yeah... Considering they had 3 months to design everything, as opposed to 18-24 most companies usually dedicate...

But that still doesn't explain the need for skorts...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 am

I'm with KFTC: WTF?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:59 am

The Skorts issue just might be an advertising campaign for Puma to justify the sponsorship of the league. The bottom line in my opinion is whether the players will actually feel comfortable playing in the darn things. I think the average player will wear a Burger King Paper Crown getting off the bus or signing autographs. But on the field is sacred territory. There is a You Tube video of a Danish women's team playing in actual skirts, ala tennis and they didn't seem to mind (so they said on camera). You might attribute that to Seth Blatter who prefers to see beautiful women playing football in tight skirts.

But remember there is no Title IX for the rest of the world and what we would call illegal sexism in this country passes as an inside joke elsewhere in the world. I don't expect to see many skorts on the field as it is an optional piece of gear. It does look a little more formal for say restaurant apparel than regular kits, and if they are used at all, that is where I would expect to see it.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:40 pm

I just thought it was kind of stupid looking, but again that comes from my oh so cosmopolitan, sexually repressed Victorian/Puritanical view of personal expression that the US likes to shove down our throats...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2