Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today

+2
A_Fan
pilotpurple
6 posters

Go down

Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today Empty Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today

Post by pilotpurple Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:27 pm

I heard Megan will be on Canzano's show this afternoon around 3:30 p.m.

pilotpurple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today Empty Re: Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today

Post by A_Fan Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:36 pm

She is on right now.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today Empty Re: Megan Rapinoe on 95.5 The Game at 3:30 Today

Post by aleppiek Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Good interview. Only wish she were going to be playing closer to Portland.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:41 pm

aleppiek wrote:Good interview. Only wish she were going to be playing closer to Portland.

I agree. Is it just me, or would it make more sense to have teams close to the proven fan bases of the colleges? I guess that you could technically argue that the college teams would take away fans from the WPS. But, seriously, how many people actually attended games of the WUSA?

Buying out the WUSA website was a good move for the WPS though: http://www.wusa.com/
I hope the league succeeds; I'm just worried that the marketing will be lousy. Nobody except for my UP friends even knew that the draft was going on...and the # of tickets that has been sold has not been impressive IMO. I guess I should think positive. sunny
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:50 pm

If it makes you feel any better the WUSA was laucnhed with much excitment and hoopla following the Olympic Final at the Rosebowl when the USA beat China on Pks. The biggest press was Brandi's sports bra. The league stedily declined after that because it purportedly had no business model or one that was flawed. The fact that soccer sports fans are aware of the draft is good news. Having said that if you look at the location map of the franchise areas only Los Angeles and San Francisco are represented left of Dallas.

Markets ignored in the west are San Diego, which is sort of an entity unto itself; the Pacific Northwest which presumablaby could draw from a further distance commute to a stadium than in LA. Truly, I only live about 40 miles from the HDC but I live just beyond the greater LA area to the north and a drive in traffic to the HDC would be worse than getting to Dodger Stadium, which is actually closer. I have not been to Dodger Stadium in years.

Other markets ignored in the west is Arizona, Colorado, and Utah which produces some great players, a few of which are current Pilots.

The fact that they are assembling the league with some deliberation makes me hopeful that when the time is right the promotional dollars will be spent.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Women's soccer is such a niche sport. I love it to death, but that makes me (and the rest of y'all) kooky and offbeat to most of America. We are marching to the beat of a different Villa drummer. I remember being in New York City when the WUSA was in full swing, and even in a huge sports store, one with a whole department just for Yankees gear, I couldn't find even one WUSA jersey -- and the staff didn't even KNOW THE NAME of the local team! I will definitely invest in a WPS ticket if I can get anywhere near a game; but if I was a big-bucks tycoon (big if), I'd have to think hard about investing in the league.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down