Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marcus Lewis gets a nod

+3
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
Geezaldinho
7 posters

Go down

Marcus Lewis gets a nod Empty Marcus Lewis gets a nod

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:35 pm

I just noticed Marcus got a mention on the summit league preseason all conference team.
Nice to see he turned himself around. I hope he does well in this, his Senior year.

Summit league

Marcus Lewis bio

My favorite part of his bio:
2008 Summit League All-Newcomer squad ... Solid low-post performer looks to build on initial ORU season ... Space-eater surprisingly light on his feet in the post ... One of three seniors on the team ... Has an “old school” low post game ... Does lots of little things well ... Great passer and screener

space-eater, indeed.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Marcus Lewis gets a nod Empty Re: Marcus Lewis gets a nod

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm

As long as we're posting about former players, maybe someone can tell me the story about Greg Anthony's transfer from UP to UNLV. I've only heard rumors; so I take them with a grain of salt. Thanks.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 pm

We are talking Tark the shark.

Figure the rumors are true.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Anthony's freshman year, Greg had an impact season. but Avina was let go at the end. Larry Steele hired because he was an ex-Blazer, I guess. Bring in fans on name value. UNLV beckoned. Rumor was that Anthony asked Steele if he could provide "extra" benefits, and the answer was "no". So GA went home to Vegas and won a championship with UNLV. Fans never appeared in Chiles, and we transitioned to Chavez, Holton and now Reveno, looking for someone who can win.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:21 am

Haha I've heard well tenured professors mention the week after Anthony decided to transfer, he was seen on campus driving a brand new Porsche...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:31 am

Jack Avina's last season, we went 14-14.

I would give a lot for a 14-14 season this year.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 am

I started to write a paragraph about Jack's record. He went 5 years in a row with 17 to 19 wins. And that was playing without a real home gym. Then it fell off to an average of 12 wins for 5 years. But I don't know why the decision was made to make a change. Jack may have thought that to win he had to take some players who may have fallen short in academics, character, whatever. But whatever the issues were, no one has come close to his record since.

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Any truth to the rumor that he left because of grades? Or is that slanderous?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPtoUNLVPT Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:48 pm

As an alum of both UNLV and UP, I would like to comment on the Greg Anthony posts. While there has always been speculation about Tark and his "extra benefits" to players, most notably Lloyd Daniels, Greg Anthony actually as I remember being told was never on scholarship at UNLV. This was due to the fact that Greg had started a small business of his own selling T-shirts and other merchandise and because of that reason he could not be a scholarship player. I also recall Tark winning/settling a lawsuit against the NCAA for harrassment because they would accuse him of cheating for just about anything. Anyways, just wanted to tell my side of the story since I grew up here in Vegas during the glory years, what great teams to watch play. GO REBELS & PILOTS!!!

UPtoUNLVPT
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:55 pm

UPtoUNLVPT wrote:As an alum of both UNLV and UP, I would like to comment on the Greg Anthony posts. While there has always been speculation about Tark and his "extra benefits" to players, most notably Lloyd Daniels, Greg Anthony actually as I remember being told was never on scholarship at UNLV. This was due to the fact that Greg had started a small business of his own selling T-shirts and other merchandise and because of that reason he could not be a scholarship player. I also recall Tark winning/settling a lawsuit against the NCAA for harrassment because they would accuse him of cheating for just about anything. Anyways, just wanted to tell my side of the story since I grew up here in Vegas during the glory years, what great teams to watch play. GO REBELS & PILOTS!!!

So--

explain the Porshe.Marcus Lewis gets a nod Icon_biggrin
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Perhaps some loyal fans bought lots of t-shirts. Just saying, no info. santa

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:30 pm

UPtoUNLVPT wrote:As an alum of both UNLV and UP, I would like to comment on the Greg Anthony posts. While there has always been speculation about Tark and his "extra benefits" to players, most notably Lloyd Daniels, Greg Anthony actually as I remember being told was never on scholarship at UNLV. This was due to the fact that Greg had started a small business of his own selling T-shirts and other merchandise and because of that reason he could not be a scholarship player. I also recall Tark winning/settling a lawsuit against the NCAA for harrassment because they would accuse him of cheating for just about anything. Anyways, just wanted to tell my side of the story since I grew up here in Vegas during the glory years, what great teams to watch play. GO REBELS & PILOTS!!!

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm not into hearsay. I'm not sure I'll believe the porsche story unless one of those profs actually posts...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:

So--

explain the Porshe.Marcus Lewis gets a nod Icon_biggrin

Probably a thank you gift from Gonzaga.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:12 am

Well Greg is working for CBS now doing color analysis... Maybe when we make the tournament and he does a game one of us can walk up and ask him. What's he got to lose now?? He already got fired by one network...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Marcus Lewis gets a nod Empty Back to Marcus

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:38 am

Oral Roberts will be at North Carolina next. the buildup to the game includes this.

Less is More
Senior forward Marcus Lewis was charged with losing weight and getting in better shape following a solid-but-unspectacular junior season. Lewis responded by dropping over 40 pounds, and his recent play has been a boost to the Golden Eagles. Over the last three games Lewis is averaging 16.7 points and 6.7 rebounds, shooting 64.7 percent from the field. Despite being ORU’s only true low-post presence, Lewis is third on the team in scoring (11.3) and second in rebounding (6.0).
The fromer transfer from the University of Portland is also nearing a siginifcant career milestone. Lewis has scored a combined 869 points in his career, leaving him 131 shy of 1,000 career points. Lewis also recently went over the 500-rebound plateau, and enters Saturday’s game with 519 career rebounds.

If he trimmed down, he could have a monster year.

Golden Eagles
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:13 pm

I think they played that game already, Geezer. I'm pretty sure Oral Roberts already lost to UNC; it was on ESPN...unless I'm thinking of a different team.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Ah, yes. Oral Roberts lost 100-84.

Still. Marcus dropped 13 points on 6-9 shooting and got 6 boards.

Here's a picture of him against Hansbrough. The Photo is captioned as a foul. That's what happens when you play away-

Marcus Lewis gets a nod Pictur12

He looks SKINNY!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, he is wearing black, and there is the vertical piping...
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:14 pm

It's easy to look skinny in photos with Tyler... Actually, that looks like pretty good defense though.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Anybody blocking his shot is my hero. But, it does look like he got him a little. I'm sure he got called for a foul the way everybody thinks the other guy is the best player in Nation and "star" players get the call.

I know it's not the point of the thread and pic,but you know me guys I just had to add my big hot two cents and try to hijack the thread in my own selfish direction pirat . He look's good in the black uniform and that's great about his stats too.

I know there was a thread about 6-9 months ago about spell check am I not finding it?Rob's Jacket, Sci-fi,Pilotnut and other moderators/administrator's would you please put spell check on the site if possible. Thanks for the Stohl correction Jacket for some reason I was thinking of the actor Eric Stohl.

MesaPilot1,

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Here's an update from the ORU website. It looks like Marcus is finally playing like we knew he could.

Senior forward Marcus Lewis was charged with losing weight and getting in better shape following a solid-but-unspectacular junior season. Lewis responded by dropping over 40 pounds, and his recent play has been a boost to the Golden Eagles. Over the last five games Lewis is averaging 16.6 points and 8.2 rebounds, shooting nearly 66 percent from the field. Despite being ORU’s only true low-post presence prior to Kevin Ford being activated, Lewis is second on the team in scoring (12.4) and second in rebounding (6.6). Lewis has three double-doubles in his last five games. He ranks fourth in the Summit League in field-goal percentage (.592) and sixth in rebounding.
    The former transfer from the University of Portland is also nearing a significant career milestone. Lewis has scored a combined 978 points in his career, leaving him 22 shy of 1,000 career points. Lewis also recently went over the 500-rebound plateau, and enters Saturday’s game against Oakland with 578 career rebounds.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down