Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wish List For Santa

+13
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
A_Fan
SoreKnees
KFTC
ohhh_yeah
GUPhantom
Stonehouse
Harry Redknapp
FANatic
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
Poopdeck Pappy
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Wish List For Santa - Page 3 Empty Re: Wish List For Santa

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:21 am

Time to break out the old Peacoat and Slicker hat. I don't know if you could sneak in a pipe at basketball games but you might if you don't light it.

As for Triangle Park it was a registered Superfund CERCLA environmental cleanup site (spell Brownfields). The site contains many contaminates in the soil and river sediment.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/cleanup.nsf/sites/trianglepark

Here is an older link which discusses the types of contamination

http://epa.gov/swerosps/bf/html-doc/btorcase.htm

The article talks about there being contaimination by, methylene chloride, pentachlorophenols (PCPs), polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and total petroleum hydrocarbons (TPH).

If any of these made it into the ground water the cleanup could be serious. I know of a site that has been pumping and cleaning a "plume " Of contaimination for over 20 years now and the won't stop until acceptable levels are sampled.

I read over the Settlement Agreement by which the University will be bound. The aquisition is for all property excepted that which is included in the current Lease between the Oregon Department of State Lands ("DSL")and Triangle Park, LLC. Under the current agreement Triangle Park will continue to lease the portion of the property for its purposes until 2014 and the lease provides for a 15 year extension.
What this tells me is that at least a portion of the property will be unusable by the University and will remain with the DSL until potentially 2029. I am not sure how this maps out for the University's use but access to the river may be limited. However, you can carry those crew shells easily a short distance and I am told UP already has a crew "club". As to whether crew will be added as a sport I am guessing Title IX governing equality in gender for sports might dictate whether it is added as an additional sport for men and/or women. It seems to me Title IX was responsible for the elimination of Men's Gymastics at UCLA. Which was a pretty big deal down here at the time.

All in all, it seems like a good aquisition for the University as the clean up liability is limited. However , the purpose of the acquisition of the site is to relocate existing athletic facilities to the site in order to free up development on the University proper. I would guess that any activity taking up a large amount of real estate would be ripe for relocation; soccer for example. This would not amount to making a bit of sense given the development plan for the Cliles Center and adjacent Merlo Field Stadium. Basketball won't move. I am guessing a new baseball stadium/field might be in the plans. That is what I would move. And I would add a parking structure adjacent to/or under the new facility (classrooms/dorms/admin. building).
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3