Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohai considers Portland

+16
wrv
UPSoccerFanatic
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
fozziewozzie
PurplePrideTrumpet
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
Harry Redknapp
aleppiek
GUPhantom
FSUfan
FANatic
onetouchfutbol
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ohai considers Portland - Page 2 Empty Re: Ohai considers Portland

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Man... Geezer, hats off to you for having to read Beowulf and Chaucer in the middle English. Absolutley brutal. I took the easy way out and had those handy books that had the original on the left page and the modern translation on the right.

But Chaucer... I remember reading Canterbury Tales in high school and being pretty shocked at how bawdy some of it is. It's always nice to know that dirty jokes were popular even 600 years ago! Smile

Anyway, as an English major I felt like I was obligated to jump in on this thread... we always have to tip our cap to Chaucer because he was really the first English-speaking guy to write his literature in English instead of Latin or French. (Well, at least the first who we can actually attribute to.)

So hooray for Chaucer!

The Beowulf wasn't even middle English. It was old english, or saxon, or icelandic or something....
we spent part of the first week just figuring out what the letters were in the script. here's what the first page looked like"
Ohai considers Portland - Page 2 Beowulf.firstpage

That was the cover of the hand Published "book" we got. (it was printed on a line printer from an old IBM mainframe - this was 20 years before desk top publishing....)
There were a lot of quivering lips and a tear or two when the prof handed them out. thankfully, the stuff inside was in a script we could read.
(the first two words are "Great Regard")

Anyway, it turned out to be a lot of fun as well as a lot of work. By the end of it, we were reading it like Kirk Douglas charging into battle in "the Vikings" screaming O..D..E..N!!!!!!

The course was 4 semester interdisciplinary required course for all Freshmen and Sophomores. "Foundations of Contemporary Civilization"
It included one of the Norse Sagas and some of the Icelandic Eddas (in english), some Hindu stuff - all sorts of odd writings.
The folks at that school took their Liberal Arts seriously... the prof. was actually my Astronomy prof.

By the time we got to Chaucer, we were cruisin'

I still have the book (2 phone book sized ring bound jobs, actually) 40+ years later. The cover, which was an 8x10 glossy photo is, alas, missing.

How about the alas reference? I can do that weird english word stuff too.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Oh, man. This thread reminds me why I was a Math major!! Numbers, they're a beautiful thing. My 2 Cents

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:21 pm

we did that, too.

Here's 849 in Greek
Ohai considers Portland - Page 2 Greek-849

47 in Babylonian
Ohai considers Portland - Page 2 B47

remember, it's base 60

60 minutes in an hour....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:23 am

In your Beowolf script page, Geez, I reconized two modern English words: "he" and "him".

Not so dumb after after all, eh?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:55 pm

i don't how this thread got on 'old english', but i thought it was about the top prospect ohai an her possibility of coming to u of p!! if what she has stated as to what she is looking for in a program, why wouldn't she want to come to u of p?!!! let 's get back on track people!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Ya this thread reallyderailled but it is still the most fun I am having all weekend.

I know it may seem undiciplened and wacky but Miss Ohai ought to know that Pilot fans have a sense of humor, are devoted, and work tirelessly to find soccer trivia and inside info.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:07 am

Pilots definitely need a player with three vowels and an h in her last name. It's been too long. O-h-a-i = H-u-i-e?
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:39 pm

I'll be looking for Ms Ohai during the SCU game. I hope she visits UP for this particular game. It will definitely be a ultra-energized atmosphere against our primary rivals....and televised too! There's no better place in the country to watch college soccer! I hope Ms Ohai will be impressed enough to commit to play for the Pilots! Scratch that...I "know" she will!
I think she's in for a good show!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Come On Garrett Smith Get Her To Commit To The Pilots.

Ohai considers Portland - Page 2 5037792_firstImageIMG

Ohai considers Portland - Page 2 10162008-6237
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Nice pics Ohhh_Yeah!

Consider this...Cloee Colohan has been described as "the hammer". If Kelia Ohai commits...then we've got "the sickle" too!

The Pilots will have all the instruments in place. Pounding with "The Hammer" on defense. And a slasher to cut opponents to shreads with "The Sickle" on offense. Think I can sell the idea to the marketing or sports information dept?

One can dream of this pair playing together on the pitch at Merlo, eh? Twisted Evil

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:08 pm

GU the Hammer and Sickle has a kind of old soviet union kitsch to it. Maybe we can get some old MIGS to do fly bys over the game JK. Actually what excites me most about Kelia is her form in the second pic. Notice she has her toe pointed on the shot. This keeps the ball from sailing way up high over the goal which occurs much too often. With that kind of form I bet she hits her target alot.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Auto Pilot wrote: With that kind of form I bet she hits her target alot.

I know she was a youngin at the time but 18 goals in one match... Shocked
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:13 pm

I noticed the pointed toe, as well, Auto. And thought of a straight, hard and low shot.

Even our best players seem to send the ball sailing way too high over the net. I didn't play soccer, so I may be putting my toes into my rather large mouth. (What? Ya say you've noticed that? ... think I need a hearing aid; yes i think I do!) However, you'd think as children they would be taught the proper way to strike the ball. Like swinging a bat in baseball. Or developing a jump shot in basketball.

Basic stuff? You tell me soccer players/coaches of any level. I had just assumed that since it is done so often, that a soccer ball naturally sails and is very difficult to strike hard and low.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:48 pm

FAN, Clive was a teaching coach and Bill and Garrett are too, but you would be surprised at the number of coaches at all levels that merely are what I call selection coaches. They can recognize players that are doing things right but cannot break it down to teach or simply don't have the time.

Having said that, it has been said that hitting a moving baseball is the most challenging of all athletic endevours. Maybe. But hitting a moving spinning soccer ball while flying though the air with defenders pulling you this way and that must be high on the degree of difficulty level.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

GU the Hammer and Sickle has a kind of old soviet union kitsch to it.

"Sickle" was the first thing that came to mind when I was playing "Password" .... and trying find a description for the 2 super-recruits! Since the moniker was retired with the fall of Soviet Union...I thought I could get a scoop on it and bestow it on the pair! Sorta like how the "3 Amigas" is becoming quite popular here in PN.

Did Milbrett and Macmillan have a tag when they played together? Anyone ever have a have a nickname stick and used publicly? I don't know of any. Share if you know!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:26 pm

I thought they were Millie and Mac!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:40 pm

Mmm. Mac's always been Mac, but I don't think Millie got that moniker until she was on the National team. I mostly remember Tiff.

Of course, there was no forum then, not even on Oregonlive. possibly no UP Portlandpilots.com....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:44 pm

If i recall right, tiff an mac didn't have a cool nickname. but after tiff graduated, mac an wynne macintosh were calld the m&m twins or gilrs. i can't remember which, but i do remember the where called 'm&m' something.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:50 pm

by the way, there was a very red-headeded recruit at the scu game today. pictures i've seen tend to make hair look lighter. it may have been ohai or someone with really red hair. i saw a recruit earlier this year that geez i.d. for me. her hair in pic's i've seen since is much much lighter then it actually is! i'm not saying it was ohai, but....
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:53 pm

she was there tonight... unless she has a twin... Cool
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks for the report. Its encouraging to know Ms Ohai was there. I was not able to sit at my usual spot (opposite the student section side) today. Usually, I could spotcheck and survey who the recruits are as they mingle or walk by. From the main grandstands....I could see 2 gals dressed similarly....red tops or coats with black warmup pants. One of them though...could be easily identified as a redhead. Her profile seemed to match the the U-something pic posted here.

The "Sickle" Cometh....Class of 2010? Very Happy

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:10 pm

gup,
i was not able to sit my usual seat either which i prefer in the student sectiion. by sitting there, i am able to see all the recruits that the pilots bring in. by happenstance, i was able to see what looked like ohai as she walked by the rest of the fan base. most recruits don't leave their seats.
that is where i was able to see charney, an that was when she was a soph in h.s. i am very excited to see ohai at our game, but i am equally excited by a recruit geez i.d. for me who is currently on the u-17 team an getting considerable playing time.
cross your fingers everyone!!! her mother was very impresed with u of p an the environment!! she's a great catch according to geez, an if we get her, she is a great prospect!!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Fozziewozzie, you are such a tease! Can we handle the great mystery and possibility you are dangling before us? (Seriously, I appreciate your discretion and think none of us should let wishful thinkling run too far ahead of reality.) Surely we'll never run out of topics to speculate about on this site.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:50 pm

You know I was looking at the end of game meeting for recruits and seemed to see one, but not Ohai, as that is who I was looking for. The girl I saw kinda reminded me of Queeny only built more muscularly.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:51 pm

haze,
dont mean to tease at all. this is the recruit i saw here that geez i.d. to me. i talked to her mother who was blown away by the turn out in a drivi ng rain. i just dont want to jeapodize an ncaa rules violationtion. i got charney from he coaching staff. i dont want to take any chances.
here she is, u-17 team, 1st time an is getting pretty good playing time.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/images/stories/eddy%205.jpg
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next