Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohai considers Portland

+16
wrv
UPSoccerFanatic
ohhh_yeah
purple haze
fozziewozzie
PurplePrideTrumpet
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
Harry Redknapp
aleppiek
GUPhantom
FSUfan
FANatic
onetouchfutbol
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ohai considers Portland Empty Ohai considers Portland

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Super recruit Kealia Ohai has named Portland as one of the schools she is considering in a TopDrawer article today.

Ohai article

She's considered by some to be the top recruit in the nation for 2010. Her sister Megan plays for USC (you may recall Megan as the player that Kelsey stuffed on a 1v1 earlier this year).

I like the descriptions "5th gear" reminds me of Tiff and to a slightly lesser extent, Christine.

Here's my favorite part:

"I really like Portland's style of play," she said when asked about the major factors that will dictate her decision. "I also need to think about where I'd be happy in case I get hurt or something, and I have to like the coach. My high school season ends this weekend so I really haven't gone on any visits yet. I hopefully can get out some after that. Maybe I'll make my decision by January - maybe later."

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Ohai considers Portland Empty Re: Ohai considers Portland

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Geez love the new byline. Chaucer is a fav. My favorite is the quote from her club coach saying she was learning zone defense at age 8! And the part about scoring with 2 or 3 defenders hanging off her sounds like a good fit any DI program.

She wants to play for a Division I champ: Point USC: Point Portland: Point UNC: No point UCLA

I have met all the coaches: Garrett is the best

If she likes the USC neighborhood good luck. UCLA is kind of Hollywood so if she likes that stye maybe. If she likes humidity UNC might be nice. IF she likes friendly people lots of green ferns and trees and water then its Portland I say!

This helps me under stand many things:

Rime of the Ancient Geezer
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Her height looks like it might be closer to Milbrett's than Sinclair's in that photo. LOL--It's like comparing the Mercedes with the Beamer...either way its a gem.

I hope we continue to go after great midfielders too...or is Ohai a midfielder? I was guessing that she was a forward...since break away speed is key at that position. Midfielders really win the close matches among the elite teams...but, having a great finisher is always nice too.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 pm

This would be a sensational catch. But she needs to go where she is comfortable and where the thought of attending that school makes her excited.

Sounds like you build your offense around this one and then wait for the playoffs. Smile
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:12 pm

FANatic wrote:This would be a sensational catch. But she needs to go where she is comfortable and where the thought of attending that school makes her excited.

Sounds like you build your offense around this one and then wait for the playoffs. Smile

Her only chances of seeing the Pilots is probably the SCU game or possibly a tournament game. I don't think you can use tournament games for official visits, but she's a Junior, so any visit would be unofficial.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Sounds like she has already seen the Pilots. Maybe the family was in town for the USC game earlier this year.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FSUfan Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Question for you guys, being west coasters. It seems to me that girls on the west coast have a hard time leaving to go play east, most stay on the west coast. On the other hand girls from the east seem to venture to play out west quite often. Also the only program that seems to land a west coaster annually is UNC, and well that is what winning 99.9 percent of the national titles will do for you. What gives?

FSUfan
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 pm

FSU....its actually a new trend for Portland. Most of the Pilot recruits outside of Oregon....have come from California. The last couple of years we've been signing recruits from neighboring states (WA, UT and CO). I could literally name the gals who came from the East or elsewhere. Michelle Scifo (NY), Michelle Olivier (GA) and Sara Jackman (TX). That's off the top of my head ....so its pretty new thing for us.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah, you could count the players from out of region IV on one hand until just a couple years ago.

Scifo was the first from Region I ever, Olivier the first from Region III. Ohai actually is from our region, so in that sense, she's a more typical recruit.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:24 pm

The left coasters try to avoid the humidity if possible.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:13 pm

So... the HS she attends is the same that brought us Hailee DeYoung... Hope they like each other Smile
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm sure they've got Hailee communicating with her.

Also any Pilots or former Pilots who were on her club team in Utah are probably in contact with her.

In the end, I'm sure the Pilots will make a great run at her. However, she sounds close to her Big Sis and grateful for what Big Sis has taught her, so USC sounds like they might have the inside track. (Although she came off in the interview as having an open mind, and mentioned that she would be looking at colleges from a non-soccer viewpoint as well.)

We can hope. But not get our hopes up too high. Smile
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:03 pm

If it wasn't for Pilot Nation, I'd most likely be clueless on anything recruiting-wise....until the athletic dept's "official" release of who they are. This subject is FUN! Particularly with all the sleuthing that goes on. Who is UP interested in? And which recruit is interested in UP?

The BIG names are easy to drool over! The Pilots recently missed on Noyola, Verloo and Lisonbee. But hit right back with Colohan. And then they don't skip a beat if Bennet and Ohai are being considered too. Wow! Those 2 are gems. I don't know Fanatic...I'm having a good feeling about our chances to sign Ohai! The 2010 class is shaping up to be another coup.

The real coup though has always been the Pilot's ability to scout and team-build. Though we do get our share of blue-chips...I think the key to the Pilot's successful recruiting program is finding those diamonds in the rough. Keelin and Jessica come to mind with the current team. Who would've thought they'd be where they are as sophomores. There are other examples of course....but to me Keelin and Jessica has surpassed all expectations. Their thriving. Keeling garnering national team recognition and Jessica ...well...I think she's having an All-WCC season. She's so steady and has contributed so much to the team's success this season. I mean she's taken her game leaps and bounds above her freshman season.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:39 pm

I don't think there is a better program that values teaching and growth more than Portland. We usually never get the top rated recruiting class but the program is always in the hunt. That says alot about what goes on with the players and coaches once they arrive.

The Pilots value team chemistry over individual prowess and that is what makes them so formidable. By playoff time its a well oiled machine. Garrett is on record admiring Clive's ability and willingness to adapt to injuries, opponents, training methods and all aspects of the game. There are a few schools out there where an injury to a key player can devistate an entire season. Last year was a good example of Pilot adaptation. We were seriously undermanned (underwomaned) and still managed to take a really talented and deep UCLA to the wire.

It is that intangible and others that cannot be put on paper.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 am

I agree with Phantom that one of the great things about this program is the unheralded players or the recruits who are ranked in the 50-100 levels who turn out to be stars. You mention Keelin last year. This year Kassi has been the one who has surpassed expectations in my mind. She's playing well enough that Garrett can move Michelle O to holding mid. On Saturday the Pilots defensive shakiness was in the second half when Kassi was on the bench.

We've also seen local players turn into very good college players: you mention Jessica. My favorite is Emily Michaelson, who was a walk-on player who started her freshman year because of injuries. She was very shaky her first year but was a very strong player as a senior. Who will ever forget her takedown of Kara Lang in the NCAA game?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:12 am

Auto Pilot wrote:Geez love the new byline. Chaucer is a fav.

I didn't think anyone would get it quite that fast. Good job.

It did get me to read the tale again. We had a Llt course in College where we had to read that and Beowulf in the original out loud.

Toughest course I ever took.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Ohai considers Portland Empty Geezer's New Thingy

Post by FANatic Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey, Geez, I've been reading your new bottom presentation thing now for a couple days and I still have no idea what you're talking about! scratch (Itchy head...)

Isn't Chaucer an old Latin, (Big Tough Roman Linebacker types, ya know?), guy who spoke and wrote in tongues? His stuff doesn't make any sense. Not how you and I and everyone else talks/writes.

I like your whole new thingy though! Real classy! Ohai considers Portland Happy-099
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:49 pm

FANatic wrote:Hey, Geez, I've been reading your new bottom presentation thing now for a couple days and I still have no idea what you're talking about! scratch (Itchy head...)

Isn't Chaucer an old Latin, (Big Tough Roman Linebacker types, ya know?), guy who spoke and wrote in tongues? His stuff doesn't make any sense. Not how you and I and everyone else talks/writes.

I like your whole new thingy though! Real classy! Ohai considers Portland Happy-099

Jeffrey "boom boom" Chaucer was a shortstop for the Brooklyn Eagles in the Negro leagues. He was part of the famous double play infield that included the other greats Bernie "two fingers" Troilus and Al Criseyde.

To find out what we are really talking about, click on the link Auto Pilot provided:

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:13 pm

I think you are ribbing Geezer maybe but if you want the modern english translation from Chaucer's Middle English. It goes something like this. He truly geeszes (offers advice, admonitions, critisisms and corrections) to his son when he comes and goes. Click on the Rime of the Anchient Geezer link and you can read the whole story.

Purplegeezer continues to amaze me at the spectrum of his knowledge in the classic disciplines not to mention sports (math, language, sciences and who knows what else).

I picked up on the Chaucer thing as I also had a Chaucer class in college and like Geezer we read the Canterbury Tales aloud in class. It was cumbersome and embarassing but it left me feeling kind of old world and the understanding that language is a dynamic and not static subject.

It might also explain my crazy spelling.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 am

The "Rime of the Ancient Geezer" explains everything perfectly. (And it's funny!) Ohai considers Portland Happy-016

Even the thought of trying to translate Chaucer gives me the willies.

(Yeah, Geezer does seem to know a lot about everything. Wonder how he does that? I seem to know less about everything every day. Oh well. Enjoy life. Be happy...)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:26 am

The man truly is our Pilot sensei....

Geez is our very own transparent eyeball, he is nothing; he sees all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through him; he is part or particle of God.

(Hee hee slightly modified from the original, but the same transcendental vibe...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 am

Man... Geezer, hats off to you for having to read Beowulf and Chaucer in the middle English. Absolutley brutal. I took the easy way out and had those handy books that had the original on the left page and the modern translation on the right.

But Chaucer... I remember reading Canterbury Tales in high school and being pretty shocked at how bawdy some of it is. It's always nice to know that dirty jokes were popular even 600 years ago! Smile

Anyway, as an English major I felt like I was obligated to jump in on this thread... we always have to tip our cap to Chaucer because he was really the first English-speaking guy to write his literature in English instead of Latin or French. (Well, at least the first who we can actually attribute to.)

So hooray for Chaucer!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:41 am

Why is it that english major types LOVE to throw out the word "bawdy"?? (Haha or the "banal")

I mean I do it all the time and people look at me like I just made something up... They are both phenomenal words!!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 am

I feel very ill equipped to add anything of substance to this conversation... stupid public school education...
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:56 pm

I went to public school and read some Chaucer in Middle English my senior year. But there were a lot of footnotes in it. And parts of it do read like a Judd Apatow movie.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next