Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregonian Preview of Pilots

5 posters

Go down

Oregonian Preview of Pilots Empty Oregonian Preview of Pilots

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Can't believe I missed this the other day... click the link to read the whole thing, but here are some highlights:

Kramer Knutson, the 6-foot-9 sophomore forward who played at 210 pounds last season, is now up to 245. Jasonn Hannibal,
the 6-10 sophomore forward who was at 295, has trimmed to about 265. And Robin Smeulders, the 6-10 junior forward who was at 255, is a lean 240.

Sikma, the 6-8 sophomore forward, has a sore right knee that limited what he has been able to do recently.
"I'm cautiously optimistic about Luke," Reveno said. "It's one of those things that's out of my control, so I try not to worry about it too much. But it's a big one."

"Last season, we didn't quite have 'it' to get over the hump in some close games, whether it was toughness, experience, coaching or whatever it was in those situations," Reveno said. "If there's something we can hang our hat on this season, I hope it's that we're a tough defense team and we play together.

"In terms of building the program we've envisioned, it's getting there. I was really disappointed that our win-loss record last year didn't reflect the progress I thought we had made as a program ... and our job is to make sure that it does."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2008/10/portland_basketball_teams_test.html

Very interesting to see about Smeulders... I would have thought that he could use to gain some weight, not lose it. But maybe it's more of a body transformation than anything else, since I know he has been lifting and working in the gym all summer. And actually, losing some weight might help with his quickness and ability to play the small forward.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Oregonian Preview of Pilots Empty Re: Oregonian Preview of Pilots

Post by PilotNut Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Interesting changes in stats for sure... I cant wait to see the guys play!! Very Happy

Did you notice in the box on the side, the references to departed players:
Guard Walter Thompson transferred to Cal Poly-Pomona, guard Marcus Carter transferred to Division II Wisconsin-Parkside and walk-on guard Shane Moser chose not to return.

I'm glad to see Thompson and Carter found a home, and I wish Moser the best... any word on walk-ons for this year?
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm

The weight in this article is off for Hegarty... It's correct for everyone else though?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I take that back...the weight isn't off... He trimmed from 365 to 320.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Big men have now dropped some more baby fat through new aerobic program put in place recently in practice. I assume recent move was made by Rev with Brad Scotts expertise put to use. Kramer, Jasonn, Robin , and Big John are sweating it out the old fashioned way us older guys who played remembered oh my oh my when we played.

I wonder what this means Rev wants to do more of this year Laughing Laughing Laughing ??? Plus, we might not petterrr out every game like we did evvery single loss last year outside of SD,SMU, or Gonzaga type games last yr. where we outright just got "mugged" from start to finish.

MesaPilot1

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:33 am

No walk on's this years as of now. i know there were a few guys interested but no one has been practicing with the team. I've also heard that walter and marcus are both coming back in the spring after basketball season and graduate from UP.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down