Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

courtney verloo

+3
Geezaldinho
Harry Redknapp
fozziewozzie
7 posters

Go down

courtney verloo Empty courtney verloo

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:11 am

i was kind of surprised that this announcement didn't garner a thread. an while i have come to learn that growing up in the portland metropolis doesn't mean that you automatically go to u of p, i am still disappointed. i almost feel the u of p mention at the end was gesture, but not sincere. a stanford education, how can you refuse that? as well as a top rated soccer program? not that u of p doesn't offer a top rated education, but all in all, it's not stanford.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-2058401884/

?

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-2058401884/
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

courtney verloo Empty Re: courtney verloo

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:30 am

Fozzie

I think that this has been "known" for some time. Mention of this on websites alerted us to the idea some time ago, so we were resigned to it.

Verloo will no doubt have a great career at Stanford and hard to argue with the choice of an education there.

As for the Pilots, look at the roster and the 14 players with FR and SO next to their name. We're set well for the next few years and the recruits for 2009 already verbally committed will only help continue this fab program.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:33 am

Fozzie..

I think Courtney's decision was pretty well covered in the 2009 recruits thread and other threads.

But what's the point? She decided to go out of state and I wish her well. There are lots of reasons kids make those decisions, and we don't often know what the are. UP still has plenty of local talent coming next year that deserves attention instead, including 2007 Oregon 6A player of the year Kendall Johnson and 2007 5A POY Taylor Brooke.

There's too much to celebrate to worry about spilled milk.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 am

To put it another way, while Courtney V is clearly a hot prospect, if UP next year still has a front six of Enyeart, Foxhoven, Burk, Winters, Schmidt, and Reed then things are not so bad.

And as Geezer says Kendall Johnson and/or Taylor Brooke have chance to force their way in and make the team even stronger. And if Cloee Colohan has an immediate impact like Michelle Olivier then the back four will only be stronger.

Finally, going away to college is part of the experience for many kids. Staying in your home town makes it a different experience and I can understand wanting to put some distance between Ma and Pa and wanting to step out on your own.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:40 am

and 2007 5A POY Taylor Brooke.

Taylor Brooke goes to West Linn HS and is therefore in 6A...I think you may have meant 3 Rivers POY? She was also 1st team All-State.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:46 am

I have to confess that as a HS tennis coach, if my players have the academic credentials, I often encourage them to go away to college -- although I encourage them to go to the East Coast, to experience the more class-oriented culture there. However, soccer players are a different matter.

Almost five year old grand-daughter Zoey had her first Mighty Mites soccer morning yesterday. She's been wearing Pilots regalia since birth! I think she needs to stay nearby for college.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:48 am

Haha as much as I love my Pilots.... Turning down a scholarship to Stanford would be pretty damn hard to resist...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:44 pm

The match of a college and a student is such a personal and individual thing. Verloo had her pick of going anywhere and looked south. Fair enough. Good luck to her, except against UP.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down