Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rachael Article OregonLive.com

+5
Auto Pilot
aleppiek
A_Fan
UPSoccerFanatic
FANatic
9 posters

Go down

Rachael Article OregonLive.com Empty Rachael Article OregonLive.com

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:31 am

Rachael Front Page Oregonian

Nice write up about Garrett asking Rachael to stay on to continue captaining the team from the bench. She will wait for surgery until after the season is over.

Sounds like her leadership is vital to this team! Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Rachael Article OregonLive.com Empty Re: Rachael Article OregonLive.com

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:46 am

Compare how the Rachael's situation with the Pilots compares to the following situation at another DI school, described by a player's father. Then re-read the signature quote from Clive, below.

"I have a daughter who has had multiple surgeries and thousands of hours of rehab x 3years at a D1 high level program. This has been a difficult journey and one I do think the NCAA ignores. It is tough for a coach who is concentrating on developing his team to put any focus on the injured players and I understand and agree that his focus during the season should be on the girls that can play for sure. However, the girls that are injured work sometimes twice as hard with early morning rehab daily, watching 2 practices a day, and then more rehab at night. They are not eligable for any academic accolades (Academic All American, Division Awards etc) because they do not play (regardless if they are a top academic performed on the team) , They are not asked to head up any committee;s (community service or college athletic boards) because they do not play, they are not able to sit with their team during Division play offs or the Final Four ..because they are not one of the 22 dressed players and do not play, they cannot meet with the team psycologist due to NCAA conflict of interest rules, if they need some counseling to get thru the misfortune of their injury and the many ramifications it has had on them they are not offered it but have to request it thru the coach (who wants to admit to their coach they are having a rough time?) They are not chosen for any significant team role (captain, liason, etc) because they are not playing and the girls really cannot relate to someone who is not on the field ...again understandable, they do not make the travel rosters due to the limited finances, they often do not reap any rewards (trophies won or championship clothing given at tournaments ) because they do not play. etc etc etc...it just seems to me that (living thru this process) the injured player is often kicked when she is down."
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:52 am

I'm sure Clive would be proud of Garrett in keeping Rachel on as captain and putting her mental skills to work for the betterment of the team.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:57 am

In times like these I take pride in being a part of this community, we do not "kick people when they are down" we do whatever possible to make sure that they are not left out... I am so pleased to hear that Rachel will remain part of the squad.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:16 pm

I think this move by Garrett is perfectly consistent with his philosphy of putting the "person" first. No doubt having Racheal around will inspire her teammates all year long. If you look at the 2005 championship picture taken right after the game you will see former Pilot Tiffany Millbrett in with the rest of the team. Once a pilot always a pilot.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Tiffany wasn't the only former player there that day, just the only one on the field when the picture was taken.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 am

Tiffeny was there in 2002 as well. The video is on here somewhere. In Clive's interview he turns to her and says something like, "Tiff came to Portland when it wasn't cool. And the reason we won this is because of her. I love you, you know that, right?" I nearly lose it whenver I watch it.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 am

the best thing about megan's goal was looking over at the bench an seeing rahcel's reaction to meagan's goal. i am certain that if time would have allowed, meagan would have run over to the bench an hugged her twin!! a wonerful decision by both garrett an rachel! this team, present an past has always made me proud!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:32 am

PPT - why did you have to bring up that video?? I'm getting choked up thinking about watching that interview, jumping up and down like a crazy person in the Chiles Center... Good times
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:40 am

I was jumping up and down in the Christie lounge. We had scheduled a band concert for that day (sounds crazy now--would Duke or UNC do that on Final Four weekend? Wink ) and it was the first place the group I was with could think of that had a cable TV. One of those times I'll always remember where I was.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:39 am

We keep seeing examples of the class of this program. It's about top class soccer but so much more. The way that Rachael is still a part of this program is just another indication of that.

It gives me a reminder as a coach. Last week I had 2 girls unable to play because of injury and I suggested that they come to the game, wear their uniform with tennis shoes, not cleats and shin guards. I had them with the team when the ref checked player cards and as much a part of the whole game as they could be without actually playing.

I was inspired to do that because I've seen that's how the Pilots do it and it makes real the sense of team that is so important in this game.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Great, Martin! Shows high class on your part. Even though you were inspired by the Pilots, you still didn't have to do this. You chose to.

The legacy of Clive reaches far and wide, doesn't it?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down