Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLS?

+10
Rob's Jacket
ohhh_yeah
VillaGorilla
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
PurplePrideTrumpet
DaTruRochin
FANatic
SciFi
Geezaldinho
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

MLS? - Page 4 Empty Re: MLS?

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Stick with Timbers.

Whatever they do, dont pick one of the obtuse "fancy" names that new teams, particularly the WNBA, pick now like "Portland Shock" or "Portland Dream" or "Portland Liberty". A mascot should always be a person/type of person (e.g. Pilots, Lumberjacks, Cornhuskers), animal (Tigers, Grizzlies, Baboons), or thing (Timbers, Whitecaps, Hurricanes)....

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:44 pm

I think they should be called the

Portland WeDon'tKnowWhatToDoWhenItSnowsSoWeShutTheCityDownUntilItMelts-ers
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:47 pm

We know what to do--stay home and consume our "emergency" beer stockpiles... drunken

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:07 pm

I think MP has said the name will be Timbers because he's now Rose City til he dies. Or something.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 am

I predict in 5-10 years, being comservative - possibly sooner - Paulson will bring MLB to Portland and they will be called the Beavers.

The MLS Timbers will be wildly successful - as were the first Timbers, in 1975. I was there. And on every goal we were all soaked with the many beers that were thrown into the air. (That's a memory you don't forget.) Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:49 am

It's funny/sad to go on to the posted stories for the news outlets (KGW, OregonLive) and read all the racist, homophobic comments about soccer and soccer fans, and just the general discontent over soccer in Portland and how the projects are funded. The funding issue seems to be the biggest stickler, but from what I can read people are mostly uneducated about the funding process and how the money will be repaid to the city. I thought we lived in a pretty progressive state with open-minded individuals until I read some of the things people are saying.

That said, I'm putting down my deposit for tickets. No Pity in the Rose City!
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:58 am

It's been like that ever since the MLS bid was planned last year. There's some Timbers fans who try to explain the process, but every time a story comes out these comments follow.

The press conference repeats at 6 pm on FSN.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Saw our man Ohhh Yeah, on the MLSnet. com feed. Looked like a pretty lively presser.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm

SciFi wrote:You'd be suprised how well the current Timbers are supported. Despite a dismal year, The Timbers drew an average of over 8,000 fans per game this year, I believe. 2nd in the league. My guess on which two cities the MLS will pick is Portland and Vancouver. I'll be happy either way. . .

-SciFi

afro Pimp Give me Beer!

-SciFi

MLS? - Page 4 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Shall we change your screen name to "Nostradamus"?

Can I just say how cool this is, and how glad I am that you were right?!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:50 pm

MLS? - Page 4 450sounders_20

Let the rivalry begin then...or should I say continue...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:03 pm

This is great news for the city of Portland and soccer fans from all over Oregon and SW Washington.

I, too, am very disappointed in a lot of the attitudes in this city regarding pro sports in general and soccer ignorance especially. This city is paranoid when it comes to all pro major league sports. (Hurray for Harry Glickman and the owner group back in 1969 for acquiring the Blazers.)

With the Blazers doing so well now it seems obvious that the city is getting together behind the team. I don't know the numbers, but when we start to have playoff success in the near future, there is going to be a whole lot of attention (and money paid out to hotels, restaurants, other services, etc.) on the team and the city.

And then there are the soccer ignorant people. I can speak to this because I used to be one of them. I was raised on football, basketball and baseball. Period. That's it. Soccer seemed boring and the lack of scoring made me wonder why the world was so crazy about the sport.

Then, in 1975, a beer drinking buddy of mine - oh, boy those were the days! - and I decided to check out a Timbers match. We got caught up in Timbers mania that first season and had a blast. The team went very far, but couldn't quite win it all. After that first year, I don't recall the same enthusiasm, so my friend and I went back to basketball and that was the season, 1976-77, that we won our first and only championship. We were so dizzy with Blazermania that we kind of forgot about the Timbers after that, although it's obvious many other fans did not.

Then years later, after I married and moved to be with my wife, we lived only about three miles form UP, and I started reading stories about the amazing Pilots Womens soccer team. I went to a few games over several years, and was very impressed. (By the team and the crowd - and that beautiful soccer stadium.)

Then in 2000, we moved within only a few blocks of the campus. I was drawn to the women's team like a magnet, and the rest, as they say, is herstory.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:06 am

Congrats, Portland. It sounds funny saying that since I lived in Portland for 14 years and consider it a second home. It is interesting how the success in Seattle has completely changed the MLS commissioner's mind about what type of an city makes for a great MLS team. The commissioner said that the old belief was that cities with large latino populations or following would be best... Thus, teams like Houston and Chivas USA emerged. But, then Toronto became a success and now Seattle. Now, the MLS commissioner is paying more attention to cities like Seattle and Portland which have great youth programs and European immigrants... My one word of advice (if you're open to it), enjoy the last year in the USL; that league is a gem too...and tickets will be harder to come by in the MLS.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum