Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLS?

+10
Rob's Jacket
ohhh_yeah
VillaGorilla
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
PurplePrideTrumpet
DaTruRochin
FANatic
SciFi
Geezaldinho
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

MLS? - Page 2 Empty Re: MLS?

Post by VillaGorilla Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Interesting that FIFA mandates the maximum size of soccer leagues. I had no idea.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:And now support from the commish himself....
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/12/08/daily27.html

Fingers crossed.... fingers crossed....

At first I thought you meant this guy: http://www.moretasteleague.com/home/category/news.html. Wrong commish! Give me Beer!

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 am

That really is my favorite commish, I must admit....

But yeah the 18 team max for the top league surprised me too... I guess its different in other parts of the world with the promotion/demotion system, haha but I don't know how well the average american sports fan would take to their team being demoted for poor play....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:23 am

Hey, if we had that demotion system would the Huskies be relegated to the Big Sky Conference? Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:39 am

wouldn't D3 be more appropriate? I doubt the Huskies could hang with some Big Sky teams.

You guys all know how I like to pour through the NCAA manual to try and figure out why things happen as they do.

Well, Today I went to the FIFA site and there's enough there to keep me busy for years! MLS? - Page 2 668610

Tonight I've been pouring through the FIFA statutes and the club licensing regulations. MLS? - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

There's nothing in either tome about an 18 team limit for leagues, so that might be somewhere else. (or it could have been made up).

There are some interesting items, though. DTR may be right about relegation driving that limit. FIFA apparently thinks relegation is a good thing. From the statutes:

Article 19 Principle of promotion and relegation
1 A club’s entitlement to take part in a domestic league championship
shall depend principally on sporting merit. A club shall qualify for
a domestic league championship by remaining in a certain division
or by being promoted or relegated to another at the end of a season.

Pretty cool, huh? you spend $80 million to get into the second division.....

There is a push to normalize how teams around the world are run by the 2010-2011 season, so that may be driving things. The MLS doesn't meet all kinds of rules in the club licensing rules, starting with the biggie that no natural or legal person can hold an interest in more than one club in a league.

enough for tonight. I've got another 125 manuals to go through..... MLS? - Page 2 Drunken_smilie

But boy am I glad I know that fans are entitled to individual seats bolted to the floor and numbered, and that they have to have a back that measures at least 30 cm from the seat....

I might get my canopy - there's a rule that requires that for at least 10% of seating, too.

Nothing on the drop-down replay screen, though.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:41 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:The first meeting of the MLS task force was yesterday, and Merritt Paulson and MLS executives made their presentation to the members. The best quote from Merritt that I found in the O was when one person asked him if Portland fans would go to Seattle to watch the Sounders Duck! (now, now, it doesn't hurt to ask)

(Hears the murmurs from the few dozen TA who came to watch)
"You're about to get rushed from the back. I can promise you Portland Timbers fans are not going to be driving to Seattle to watch Seattle Sounders soccer."

i wish i got a shot of the lady's face after asking that question... pale i had some green streamer to throw but figured it was a bad idea in city hall... plus i am sure PPT remembers the last time i threw streamer... it did not hit its target...

MLS? - Page 2 3096634509_169e9549c9

MLS? - Page 2 3097472738_f4676d17fb
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:03 pm

When one of the newscasts ran its story on this meeting, I noticed a lot of green and white in the background. Nice job, guys!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 pm

i was interviewed on ch.2 news...

cutest moment: i am answering a question and mia is standing waiting for me... without be asked to she says "rose city 'til i die" in her little three year old voice...
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:43 am

Purplegeezer wrote:wouldn't D3 be more appropriate? I doubt the Huskies could hang with some Big Sky teams.

I'll give 'em D-II. I think the Huskies could hang with Western Oregon.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 pm

The week after the UW basketball game, I thought of a song we could have sung to them (to that footie standard, Guantanamera):

Scheduled Concordia,
You should have scheduled Concordia!

Twisted Evil
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:
Purplegeezer wrote:wouldn't D3 be more appropriate? I doubt the Huskies could hang with some Big Sky teams.

I'll give 'em D-II. I think the Huskies could hang with Western Oregon.

Can teams get demoted for throwing dog poop?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/75719-the-washington-huskies-oregon-ducks-rivalry
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:44 pm

An announcement is expected soon. I'm hoping for Portland to revive the PDX vs. Seattle rivalry, but, Miami also is making a pretty strong case:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/soccer/story/847250.html
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Well, this should get the attention of some people, being on the front page and all:

Portland considers Rose Quarter for baseball stadium

Makes much more sense than Lents, I have to say.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:38 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Well, this should get the attention of some people, being on the front page and all:

Portland considers Rose Quarter for baseball stadium

Makes much more sense than Lents, I have to say.

MUCH more sense... Easy access (Relatively close Max access), already established restaurants/bars in the area (and obviously across the river...), it never made sense to me why they had the Coliseum AND the Garden.... RIGHT next to each other, and downtown stadiums are just inherently cooler than those in the burbs/neighborhoods... JUST saying. My concerns would be first off traffic, whether the city would have to share revenue with the Blazers (haha which in turn give money to Paul Allen, who owns the Sounders... So indirectly PDX would be supporting a Seattle team??) and of course, could the polluted Willamette handle the further pollution of baseballs going into the river?? THINK OF THE FISHES...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 pm

I think Rose Quarter is the best option for a baseball stadium... centrally located, good transit options, shared parking facilities available... and the Blazers are looking for other development in the area. It seems to me that another sports venue would be a good fit... A riverside venue would be awesome, though....
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Haha, why would the city need a riverside venue... Won't the pilots have one in a few years anyway?? cheers
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:51 pm

The traffic will probably be no worse than a Blazer game night (Actually, it probably won't be as bad since the stadium would be a lot smaller than 20K seats). A few times I've parked by the Rose Quarter, walked over the Broadway Bridge, and ended up in the middle of the Pearl, where of course there's tons of places to go before the game. You could also take the train downtown. This also enables the Rose Quarter to be active the whole summer, not just until the NBA Playoffs are done. Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Definitely, not to mention if they do it right, they could add a pretty money outdoor concert venue right in the heart of the city...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:00 pm

DaTruRochin wrote: and of course, could the polluted Willamette handle the further pollution of baseballs going into the river?? THINK OF THE FISHES...

Hmmm, might have to start carrying a mitt along in the boat! pirat

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Bump....

Miami drops out!! They, along with Portland, Vancouver and St. Louis were considered the 4 favorites (Miami leading because of Barcelona backing). While this obviously doesn't solve PDXs tenuous stadium situation, it definitely doesn't hurt the MLS in PDX cause...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=624502&sec=mls&cc=5901
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:29 pm

HOLY [blank]!!!!! And there they were as the front-runner. The sense around here was Miami had a very good chance because of the Barca name, and Portland was competing for the second spot.

Another big step in Portland yesterday was the task force tentatively approving the plan to finance the stadium remodel. It still needs to be approved by the city council.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:37 pm

Tough sell with the current economy... BUT seeing what happened with Seattle's season ticket sales, and the Timbers current fan base, coming to games and spending money at local business and whatnot, I think the potential revenue will be well worth it... Then again I am biased...

I'd say St. Louis and Portland are prob the frontrunners... with Vancouver VERY close behind...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:15 pm

As someone who stands in Section 108, Row J at Timbers matches, I'm pulling for PDX and Vancouver, and I think that's what's going to happen. The Cascadia Cup between Portland, Vancouver, Sh*ttle would be the best thing MLS has ever had happen to it. St. Louis has real funding problems, significantly worse than those of Portland. Miami is just an awful, awful, awful market for soccer - their USL-1 club pulled in a cool 1000 fans per game last year, and may actually fold within the month.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:25 pm

BUT I don't see all three of those getting it... the MLS doesn't want to "oversaturate" a region it hasn't ever really been in before... It would be cool, but from everything I've heard with the MLS inside dealings, it will be Portland OR Vancouver, no way there is both
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you DTR. But I have real doubts about St. Louis being able to get everything together by March 19.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum