Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Offseason

+16
Pilot14
ExpatPilot
WCC_BasketballExpert
Kevin
StudentPilot
MJG2001
Rob's Jacket
Snus Junction
DoubleDipper
bdaddy
Geezaldinho
badcoverage
up7587
Dean Murdoch
bullwinkle
Sound Voltex
20 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 6 Empty Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by up7587 Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:37 pm

(Obviously, Coach Few needs a pay raise so he can improve his wardrobe)

Oh, I don't know about that.  Most of the coaches look to be wearing athletic dept. gear, that they got for free.  At least Few paid for his clothes; perhaps at Costco.  Only Stan Johnson Stu Jackson seems to have a sports jacket and slacks.

Last edited by up7587 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected for i.d. of sharp dressed man)

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:33 pm

I think you'll enjoy this Shantay Legans interview on Gonzaga Nation with host Dan Dickau earlier today...

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/podcasts/portland-pilots-coach-shantay-legans-joins-the-gonzaga-nation-podcast
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11274
Registration date : 2011-11-03

up7587 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot14 Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:10 am

It's a bummer Spo doesn't have more (any?) interest in the program

Pilot14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

2023 Offseason - Page 6 Empty help

Post by Oldguyfan Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:42 am

I know I must be missing something simple, who is Spo?

Oldguyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:48 am

Oldguyfan wrote:I know I must be missing something simple, who is Spo?

Coach Erik Spoelstra

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:45 pm

up7587 wrote:
up7587 wrote:Parker Braun, a 6-10/215 center, has decided to leave Santa Clara.

Braun was one of only two players to start every game (33) last season for the Broncos and played 30 minutes per game while averaging almost 8 points and 6 rebounds per game.

Braun commits to Kansas.  Big time step up for him.

Parker Braun's brother Christian is tearing it up tonight for the Nuggets. He played 3 years at Kansas before going to the NBA, so Parker going to KU is a legacy move.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Interesting statistic from Jon Rothstein.

Without doing a deep dive into the numbers, it makes sense that GU and SCU are at the bottom as they sent players to the NBA.

Portland loses Woods to UW, Sjolund to the pros, Meadows to Cal, Applewhite to Murray St., and Nduka to Montana...except for Tyler Robertson and Juanse Gorosito, that was UP's scoring.

2023 Offseason - Page 6 Scree154
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Interesting statistic from Jon Rothstein.

Without doing a deep dive into the numbers, it makes sense that GU and SCU are at the bottom as they sent players to the NBA.

Portland loses Woods to UW, Sjolund to the pros, Meadows to Cal, Applewhite to Murray St., and Nduka to Montana...except for Tyler Robertson and Juanse Gorosito, that was UP's scoring.

2023 Offseason - Page 6 Scree154
Not exactly.

Besides Gorosito and Robertson, Cris Austin is returning after sitting out a year with an injury redshirt.
Before he got injured he was scoring at a 14.4 gpg clip which put him as the second leading scorer on the team.

I’ll leave it to the accounting majors out there to figure out the returning scoring percentage.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11809
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 am

The last two years, the WCC has released the full conference schedule on the first Tuesday or Wednesday in August. We're there now, so... announcement coming soon?

And no "matchup pairings" announcement yet as in previous years. Back to a true double round robin conference schedule, then??
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:47 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:And no "matchup pairings" announcement yet as in previous years. Back to a true double round robin conference schedule, then??
Yes, that is what I have been told.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket and Dean Murdoch like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:28 am

🚨NEWS: Former Portland guard Michael Meadows, who committed to Cal-Berkeley in May, will re-open his recruitment.

The grad transfer averaged 11.0 points, 2.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists while shooting 36 percent from three this past season at Portland
@TheAthleticCBB @VerbalCommits

https://twitter.com/tobias_bass/status/1688223502606737408
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:38 am

What a crazy offseason for Mike.

Cal just made a late addition last week with a Serbian point guard, wonder if that had anything to do with this?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:46 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:What a crazy offseason for Mike.

Cal just made a late addition last week with a Serbian point guard, wonder if that had anything to do with this?

He probably didn't want to play for a Big West Conference school.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:24 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:What a crazy offseason for Mike.

I do not know the accurate amount of $$$,$$$, nor do I know any names, but last week I was told Cal gave an extraordinary amount of NIL money to a "one or two recent commits," and there was no money left for Mike.

This is similar to what happened to Mike at LMU where he was promised NIL money to sign but was given none, and "felt lied to" by the staff.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:39 pm

Coaches lying about NIL money??!! I am shocked, shocked.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:01 am

I do not have the details, but I have been told WCC Men's Basketball will be streamed on ESPN+ this coming season.

Sorry, I know nothing more...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:29 am

🚨NEWS: Former Portland guard Michael Meadows (@MikeMeadowsII), will transfer to St. Louis

He averaged 11.0 points, 2.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists while shooting 36 percent from three this past season

His father also played for Travis Ford at Campbellsville @TheAthleticCBB

https://twitter.com/tobias_bass/status/1689332550785744897

Travis Ford is the current SLU HC.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I do not have the details, but I have been told WCC Men's Basketball will be streamed on ESPN+ this coming season.

Just great. Time to fire up the **** VPN, I guess.

Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

ExpatPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:21 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I do not have the details, but I have been told WCC Men's Basketball will be streamed on ESPN+ this coming season.

Just great. Time to fire up the **** VPN, I guess.

You and me both. Plus, I might have to buy the dumb TV license else the BBC send me a threatening letter in the mail.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:18 am

ExpatPilot wrote:You and me both. Plus, I might have to buy the dumb TV license else the BBC send me a threatening letter in the mail.
Last I looked, that will set you back about $200 USD to allow you to use any provider or use any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, game console, digital box or DVD to stream or watch programs.

I can only hope the programming is much better than it was during my eight years in the UK when horse racing and "football" were the prime entertainment on rainy weekends.

Are you still using VHS recorders in Scotland? Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:57 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
ExpatPilot wrote:You and me both. Plus, I might have to buy the dumb TV license else the BBC send me a threatening letter in the mail.
Last I looked, that will set you back about $200 USD to allow you to use any provider or use any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, game console, digital box or DVD to stream or watch programs.

I can only hope the programming is much better than it was during my eight years in the UK when horse racing and "football" were the prime entertainment on rainy weekends.

Are you still using VHS recorders in Scotland? Razz

I will have you know that Scotland is very up to date on its technology! I can almost get cell service in most of the old buildings now.

The programming is better in that the BBC pretends Scotland exists now at least. Has not always been the case according to the locals.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:01 am

https://wccsports.com/news/2023/8/14/general-west-coast-conference-expands-espn-relationship-with-multi-year-digital-media-rights-agreement.aspx

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – The West Coast Conference and ESPN have expanded their longstanding media rights relationship. In addition to showcasing more than 25 games on ESPN’s linear networks, ESPN+ will serve as the new, exclusive digital home for more than 900 conference events each year.

In the multi-year, multi-platform relationship, ESPN will continue to showcase 17 men’s basketball regular season games, six WCC Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championship games, and four additional events across the WCC’s 16 sports on its linear networks each year.

The WCC’s media rights agreements also include CBS Sports Network, which televises up to 12 regular season men’s basketball games each season.

Conference-owned regular-season events in men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, volleyball, men’s water polo, baseball and softball that are not televised on ESPN networks or CBS Sports Network will be available on ESPN+ beginning with the 2023-24 seasons. The first live WCC events on ESPN+ will be five women’s soccer matches on Thursday, Aug. 17.

“I am excited to expand our longstanding relationship with ESPN,” West Coast Conference Commissioner Stu Jackson said. “While continuing our strong linear agreement, the ESPN+ platform and its more than 25 million subscribers provides exceptional visibility and access to showcase our regular season and conference championship events. ESPN provides the conference and our fanbase with great exposure to our events and I look forward to the launch of the WCC on ESPN+ this week.”  

“We are thrilled that ESPN+ will be the exclusive digital home of the West Coast Conference through this expanded agreement, which offers a perfect complement to the men’s basketball games and other WCC events that are already available on ESPN networks,” said Dan Margulis, ESPN senior director, programming and acquisitions. “ESPN has enjoyed a strong, collaborative relationship with the WCC for more than two decades, and we will now have the opportunity to showcase the conference’s student-athletes across even more sports.”

With eight WCC programs finishing in the top eight of their respective NCAA Championship and 14 programs across 10 sports completing the year ranked in the top-25 of their respective national poll during the 2022-23 academic year, the WCC continues to compete for national championships. ESPN serves as the home for 31 NCAA Championship events, which provides the opportunity for WCC teams to host regular season and postseason events on the same platform.  

The WCC will feature 12 of Its 16 sports on ESPN+, including conference championship events in men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, beach volleyball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s water polo and rowing.

The WCC was assisted by global media rights consultant, Octagon, on its expanded agreement with ESPN.

“Octagon’s Global Media Rights Consulting division is proud to have assisted Commissioner Jackson and the West Coast Conference in striking its new multi-year agreement with ESPN+,” William Mao, Octagon’s Senior Vice President, said. “From day one of his tenure, Commissioner Jackson made it clear that a top priority of his was to elevate the WCC’s exposure and prestige. This expanded relationship via ESPN+ achieves that goal.”
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:39 am

Like I said previously, I'm sure this is great news for anyone based in the USA.

I tried watching the Kent State game through a reputable VPN on ESPN+ last year and it was a disaster. I guess I'll need to either figure out how to make VPN streaming happen, or just become a "check the box score on Twitter the next morning" kind of fan.

Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

ExpatPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:01 pm

Yeah, this reads to me like I won’t be able to just click on the video feed link on portlandpilots.com anymore to watch soccer, volleyball, and baseball. Darn. I always appreciated the years and years of free, high quality, accessible streaming.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Urika Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-wEu8K6QfM

A Legans interview starting around 12 minute mark

Urika
Recruit